WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Lisa-checked out the start of the mindfulness course-gets to end of the free stuff and says there is a fee-didn't go any further. It does seem interesting.

Debbie-never thought about rescuing chickens! They are pretty good looking fowl.

Rebecca-I get what you mean about fasting or not fasting. I am expanding my window of not eating so I stop at 7 pm (or try to) and no breaking the fast until at least 12 hours later. It does seem to curb my appetite.

Just had to go for a walk outside tonight. 1.3 mile took me 30 minutes-legs like lead at the end but it felt good to be moving outside. I know I'm not supposed to overdo but I think you can also undergo.

Going in to read early-pretty tired.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    barbie - poor Bodhi. But you have to do what's right for you. I'm sad for him. Not only for the abuse, but just the thought of "will he find a home because most homes have a male. Of course, the Humane Society will most likely advertise him as being a good companion for a woman.

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Lisa-checked out the start of the mindfulness course-gets to end of the free stuff and says there is a fee-didn't go any further. It does seem interesting.

Debbie-never thought about rescuing chickens! They are pretty good looking fowl.

Rebecca-I get what you mean about fasting or not fasting. I am expanding my window of not eating so I stop at 7 pm (or try to) and no breaking the fast until at least 12 hours later. It does seem to curb my appetite.

Just had to go for a walk outside tonight. 1.3 mile took me 30 minutes-legs like lead at the end but it felt good to be moving outside. I know I'm not supposed to overdo but I think you can also undergo.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

mom says they are beautiful and look pretty young- the names that were posted are all from Shrek- Shrek(the biggest) Donkey, Lord Farquad(the silver seabright) and Donkey(the brown silkie)

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options

Ginny in Ohio

Ginny - I was able to flick randomly through the entire course, including downloading the homework pieces, etc., without finding any fee demand, that's why I said it was free... maybe I missed something. I'll keep trying.

Barbie - I'm so sorry. I know it's heartbreaking when this kind of fostering doesn't work out. It's hard on all concerned.

Allie - Keep chugging, kiddo, all of it helps. Most important is just to find something you can keep doing--every pound you lose will make it easier to move, every move makes it easier to lose, it's a feedback cycle. You can do it...

Off to bed...
    Lisa in AR
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,001 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Intermittent fasting ...

Along with what they call "Blue Zone" eating now, I've been doing some version of intermittent fasting for decades because I don't like eating breakfast.

This is a good article by a reputable source ...

Intermittent Fasting: What is it, and how does it work?
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/intermittent-fasting-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work

Many diets focus on what to eat, but intermittent fasting is all about when you eat.

With intermittent fasting, you only eat during a specific time. Research shows fasting for a certain number of hours each day or eating just one meal a couple days a week may have health benefits.

There are several different ways to do intermittent fasting, but they are all based on choosing regular time periods to eat and fast. For instance, you might try eating only during an eight-hour period each day and fast for the remainder. Or you might choose to eat only one meal a day two days a week. There are many different intermittent fasting schedules.

Mattson says that after hours without food, the body exhausts its sugar stores and starts burning fat. He refers to this as metabolic switching.

Longer periods without food, such as 24-, 36-, 48- and 72-hour fasting periods, are not necessarily better for you, and may be dangerous. Going too long without eating might actually encourage your body to start storing more fat in response to starvation.

Mattson’s research shows that it can take two to four weeks before the body becomes accustomed to intermittent fasting. You might feel hungry or cranky while you’re getting used to the new routine. But, he observes, research subjects who make it through the adjustment period tend to stick with the plan because they notice they feel better.

What can I eat while intermittent fasting?
    During the times when you’re not eating, water and zero-calorie beverages such as black coffee and tea are permitted.

During your eating periods, “eating normally” does not mean going crazy. Research shows that you’re not likely to lose weight or get healthier if you pack your feeding times with high-calorie junk food, super-sized fried items and treats.

But what some experts like about intermittent fasting is that it allows for a range of different foods to be eaten — and enjoyed. Sharing good, nutritious food with others and savoring the mealtime experience adds satisfaction and supports good health.

Most nutrition experts regard the Mediterranean diet as a good blueprint of what to eat, whether you’re trying intermittent fasting or not. You can hardly go wrong when you pick leafy greens, healthy fats, lean protein and complex, unrefined carbohydrates such as whole grains.

Intermittent Fasting Benefits

Is intermittent fasting safe?

You're going to have to read the article to find out the benefits and whether or not it is safe. :)

For the past few years, I've stopped eating by about 8 pm and started again about 11:30 am ... about 15 or 16 hours with no food.

I time it so that, there is about 4 hours without food before bed ... and then about 4 hours in the morning before I eat. It helps that I've never been hungry in the morning.

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!
    Not much time this morning but caught up reading.
    Hugs!
    Healing thoughts!
    Congratulations!
    Encouragement!

I have left work at work the past two nights.....that feels weird. I knew I didn't have time to work on it from home, so let it where it belongs. Had a surprise visit from my BFF's husband on Monday. He is working in town. As I had massage on Monday night and hair on Tuesday night, we were able to connect last night with dinner and conversations. It was wonderful. So many demands, feels weird not having my work bag at home. Weird....

Machka That is often how my organizing starts. I cleared out files at work yesterday for the same reason as you. I was looking for something which led to file cleaning and fixing.

Bronco gets fixed next week. DH has colonoscopy next Friday. Hummingbirds still around. One hit the glass window and landed in the flower bed. I was so upset! About 15 minutes later, he was sitting up and shaking his head. 15 minutes later he was back at the feeder. Happy!

TTFN,
    Kylia practicing deep breathing in Ohio
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude:Joe suggesting he pick me up from the DDS. I was shaky so took him up on his offer. He’s come a long way from back in the day when I had to take a taxi home from the ER. We both have.

DDS couldn’t save the bridge, sectioned it off, smoothed off the bad tooth's stub and referred me to an oral surgeon for the extraction because I will NOT have another extraction without sedation. Took an hour to fill out the oral surgeon’s patient information form, prerequisite for consultation appointment, first available in November. Hoping can be done via video so only one trip to Grants Pass. Will book a motel and take a taxi to/from the surgery while Joe stays home with the dogs.

At first Joe didn’t understand why I wouldn’t go to the nearer dentist who does extractions but when I explained he doesn’t do sedation and what horrible experiences I’d had in the past, he confessed that having a tooth out was “pretty rough” so he could understand. Somehow over 39 years together we are able to have conversations where we might disagree at first but can listen to each other and understand the other’s point of view. If you’d told me that in 2005 I wouldn’t have believed.
    Oh Annie. ((hugs)) hard changes and choices. ((hugs))
    Machka, Ginny, Lanette and Michele, yours to Annie.
    Lanette and Margaret yours to Michele.
    Machka brava for taking advantage of the noisy accident to organize.
    Heather fingers Xd for untroubled train travel.
    Lisa yoga, rowing, elliptical? Well done!
    Rita channeled you while searching for a new doctor. There is a functional MD in Crescent City I’ll call tomorrow to see if she’s taking new medicare patients.
    Barbie :heartbreak: but there is a woman out there who is lonely for Bodhi.
    Michele my favorite degreaser is Dawn dish detergent. Ammonia for the really hard stuff.
    Pip thanks for donating blood.
    Sue Suni is lucky to have you and DD.
    Ginny can you zoom in for a bit of the baby shower?
    Kylia “left work at work the past two nights” Bravissima!

Used sore mouth today for poor food choices and low activity. Will do better tomorrow.
    09/20: Move: 1 set PT w/D. Steps: 3823
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=-30 CI<CO net=-772
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, DDS, one load laundry, call for new MD, OS & fill in new patient form. Wt:132.1
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    September: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live mindfully with people, dogs, open heart and mind before mouth. Never miss an opportunity to keep the mouth shut!
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,379 Member
    Options
    Debbie - those roosters will make a nice addition to the flock. Hope your moms new pullets thrive and lay lots of eggs. :)

Lisa - loved that little video of chickies running for cover. Did you notice the one just stood there? That's Almy at my house. Does her own thing, still hasn't laid an egg, isn't one bit friendly. Last night I beaned her (lightly, I surprised myself that my aim was so good!) with an apple and she finally, reluctantly, went to the gate of the run to be let in with the rest of them. It gets dicey at that stage because then the others want out and I have to throw in more treats to keep them occupied. I keep hoping there's a reason her laying is delayed that will outweigh her trouble, and reminding myself it's OK to be a renegade. Up to a point. :p

Your comment about telling Corey you aren't into changing rang a bell with me. I spent the first few decades of our marriage struggling to conform to expectations that weren't really me. It wasn't just DH's expectations, but there were societal norms at that time that I felt I had to adhere to. So glad to be at the age now where "like it or lump it" has risen to the top of my personality traits. :p

I think young women have it even harder today. Yesterday, I read anorexia in young females is again on the rise, thanks in part to social media. These gals post photos of themselves slowly starving to death and have quite a following. :(

Barbie - Bodhi will find the right home. It was a blessing that you and Jake were able to spend time with him and get a feel for what kind of environment he'd be best suited in. Hope Jake is doing better every day.

Barbara - sorry the dentist couldn't save the bridge and you'll need the extraction. Sedation sounds like the way to go. Joe is a keeper.

Kylia - good for you not taking work home. Glad you got to reconnect with an old friend.

Sue - had I been your neighbor, I would have loved to help you and DD get that fence set up. Hoping Suni does fine this winter with the special care. Give her a pat for me. I love the smell of horses. And sheep of course. :)

I had nearly 7 hours of good sleep last night. Lots of dreaming. Debbie was in one of them, I can't recall any details but chickens and gardens were probably involved. :p

It's 39f here right now and the heat kicked on. I have the thermostat set to 65f.

Have a wonderful Wednesday! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

Good job! I have been slacking a bit, as I sit here with coffee w/creamer. I need to learn to love black coffee again. Not really love but tolerate? Or just wait until my window opens and have coffee. I will get back in it.👍🏼💖. I know I just like how my body reacted to fasting daily. I processed foods better, my complexion better, no aches or pains. I think, oh I deserve this or that, I have had an emotional year thus far. Why that has any bearing on the doing or not doing of things, I have no idea. Its an excuse, but a pretty darn good one if ever there was one. I have never been disciplined with these things.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    Barbara AHMOD - I'm sorry your mouth is hurty! Hope extraction under sedation is much less traumatic. My 8-year-old granddaughter just had to have a baby tooth pulled on Tuesday. It developed a painful, unfillable cavity, and the nerve was bleeding so it had to come out. Kels texted me while she was sitting with Haley, who was sedated with nitrogen oxide, so they could pull the tooth. My big strong, tough soldier girl nearly fainted, and came awfully close to yurping. She was still yurpy when she called me from the truck on the way home! You are not alone at all.

Barbie - <3<3 s with you on your drive back to the Humane Association with Bodhi. My wishes added to Barbara's that some lovely woman who lives alone will find her companion in Bodhi.

Rebecca - I used food as an emotional coping tool most of my life, so I totally get that part. I think we all do at some point. It's why I usually try to treat it like fuel. Trying to bridge that gap between food as fuel and food as a big hug of wonderfulness is hard. Heather is one of the few that I've seen walk that line very successfully.

Regarding the whole thing about intermittent fasting, I had to go find the research on it because I'm that girl. The most recent piece from the Harvard School for Public Health is clear that studies show that it's no better or worse than any other kind of structured eating program. However, if you look, you can find tons of anecdotal, or personal stories about success with it.

My personal opinion is that anything that causes you to be conscious about what food is going in your mouth is a good thing. If that structure is intermittent fasting, and it works for you, then that's what works for you.

How I'm dealing with it right now:
    There are so many possible ways to do intermittent fasting that it becomes utterly confusing, so I ended up shaking my head and walking away from all the differing rules about when and what. Please note, I am not trying to lose weight, I'm just trying to build reasonably structured days that get my system regular. TMI, sorry, but regular for me just means pooping once or twice a day, not 12 to 25 times a day due to Crohn's. The point is also to help me sleep well, again so my system can continue healing.

Rearranging my exercise and eating schedule seems to be helping, but it's only been a week of exercising, and then a week of exercising and intermittent fasting, so please, take all this with a big, honking grain of salt.

riazfqfhaavu.gif
    On eating, my schedule right now is 16 hours without food, from 8 p.m. to 12 noon the next day. Then lunch about noon and dinner at 5 or 6 p.m. No snacking in between and no snacking after 8 p.m. I've found that, if I eat bread for lunch, I have terrible gas at night. Tortillas and crackers don't seem to bother me. So in other words, this is also helping me sort out what I can and what I shouldn't eat. Not for calories, but for my own health and comfort.

My husband was apparently right when he noted that grazing, indulging in the small meals I was eating every few hours, was not helping me to get regular. I am, as of the last few days, going to the potty in the mornings only. Still more frequently in the morning than how things were before I got ill, but my body is much less battered without it happening all day long.

zg6l85rckz7s.gif
    My exercise schedule for the week also seems to be working well--Mon/Wed/Fri cardio work on the rower and the elliptical, Tue/Thu/Sat resistance work with resistance bands, small free weights and body exercise such as super pliés and crunches, and then Sunday is a rest day.

I also do a small set of yoga stretches for flexibility and balance every exercise day, and am starting to do them both before and after the exercise, to warm my muscles up and then to give them time to cool down. I LOVE cardio work, I always have, but doing it every day breaks down my knees and hips very rapidly. By adding the resistance days in between, I'm keeping the daily exercise habit up without hurting myself. Hopefully. I'll let you know. 🙃

I don't know if this will help anyone, if it does, more power to you! I'm losing weight, slowly, just because the eating window is restricting my calorie intake to about 500 per each of the two meals. It's not intentional, and after I get back down to the bottom of my maintenance range (145-150) I will be adding calories to get back to maintain my weight. Right now, I'm just trying to keep my protein over 65 grams a day and figure out what hurts me and what doesn't.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday! <3
    Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Ahem. It's Thursday! 👀😎🙃🥰 Please note, I had to go check to make sure... :smiley: Bahahahah!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,001 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, in less than an hour it will be Friday!! I'm going to sleep so that when I wake up, Friday will be partially over. :)

M in Oz