WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I have commitment issues..... I get on these jags, and I feel wonderful, but then I get complacent, and I just think sc**w it. I am a fairly structured person, but when it comes to food, I like the whole walking into my kitchen and foraging. Like a cave woman! It speaks to my desires, and true hungers. I'm less likely to eat crap.
    Presently I am eating like an Japanese woman would. I have decided to only eat my main meals with chopsticks. That definitely slows down my eating. I am not using big plates but my little plates and small bowls. My servings will be cut down a lot that way. I liked the variety of my meal last night. Will this last? Oh I hope so! Eating this way makes me pay attention. My cooking is more like a science experiment than a huge cast iron pan saute more food than I should have thing.
    Last night sleeping experience was great. Feel like the bed cradled my body better. Only snored twice husband said, but because he can't really shake the bed to inform me of my snoring he just swatted me "gently", so that worked. I even listened and moved to another position. Yay for brain cooperating and telling my body to move!
    Today used husbands new computer to balance checkbook and pay bills. Balanced to the penny! Husband made a huge mistake last week, so I have forbid him from deducting! He can log in stuff, but I can deduct weekly and so we have no more " surprises"😳🙄😂
    Having Social Security kick in the same month that our rent increased has been a blessing.🤗.
    Bought some molasses cookies this last shopping trip. Pretty much my only sweet thing. A cookie a day will be the plan. I have plenty of protein choices this week, kielbasa sausage, chicken, smoked salmon, crab, tuna, fish fillets, sharp cheddar, and eggs. My veggies are pickled asparagus, cucumbers, beets (pickled by just glugging some of the ACV in a mason jar with the canned beets), fresh spinach, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cabbage, onion and mushrooms. Fruit is peaches, and red grapefruit, plus a power fruit juice. Treats are my cookies, some sugar free candy, and Mochi mint ice cream balls.💖
    Going to drink a matcha tea every afternoon for my health. I bought a Japanese bamboo whisk thingy like they use in tea ceremonies plus a proper little bamboo spoon.👍🏼
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,738 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Greatful today
    Had my gel nails taken off..my nails were so soft underneath..so cut short but with pretty polish.
    We are getting a deluge of rain today..and im happily snuggled under the covers with Alfie..
    Did go and check on my Homie and all is well there too.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Weather here looking good for the weekend. Tomorrow very nice, and Sunday, the wedding day, cloudy but warm. Hooray! Our summer has been extending itself, which is great for the utility bills. We've hardly used any gas since the beginning of June. :D Our direct debit has gone down a lot, but still much higher than before the Ukraine war. Profiteering is rampant.

Rita - Only you can decide who you allow into your life. Family or not, husbands or not, it is your life, and you choose who you want in it. Choose those with positive energy, you are not obliged to live with negative energy. Wish them well, and distance yourself. Choose your own recovery. You are worth it. <3

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options

Rita - Only you can decide who you allow into your life. Family or not, husbands or not, it is your life, and you choose who you want in it. Choose those with positive energy, you are not obliged to live with negative energy. Wish them well, and distance yourself. Choose your own recovery. You are worth it. <3

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

<3Rita ditto this from me. Unless your family lives in your house or can read your mind from long distance, you don't have to have any interaction with anyone about your son unless you choose. Hugs to you
    🌞🌼🌻Barbie
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Awe Rita, I hope you continue to listen to your own intuition, and distance yourself from toxic family members. Glad your son's job issues are better and he's more positive.💖🤗. Don't let others dictate your own feelings.💖. Hugs!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Went to my regular doctor yesterday for my 6 month checkup. Found I have lost anothe half an inch in height. I also start PT next week to work on balance. Got my flu and pneumonia shots. So ready to go. He did talk about me getting the RSV shot, but only place giving them right now is health dept and some pharmacy and most insurance is not covering them. So I will pass.
    Rita--Sorry they are blaming you. You are right, he is making his own choices and we can not control them. Good news about his job.
    Well I am off the weekend, but going to be busy. Have a wedding tomorrow and DH is to lead the bride and groom from the wedding place to where they are having the reception on motorcycles. I still have not gotten a wedding gift. Then Sunday in church I am going to start taking pictures for the new church directory. A friend said she would come help. Then in the afternoon we are going with our oldest son and his family and grandkids for family pictures. One of the DGD is doing it for a Christmas gift from last year. I got the new shirts I ordered so we have the right color. I just pray it all goes well.
    Enjoy the day! Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,738 Member
    Options
    Eli is adorbs....
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 8min 43sec, 2.79ap, 87ahr, 105mhr, 110elev, 6.01mi= 664c
    Strava app= 736c

Feeling somewhat back to normal
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Trying to teach myself to stop saying "I won't," or "I can't," in situations where it's habitual, rather than actual. For instance, my aversion to exercising other than in the morning is old habit. It's not that I can't, it's that I didn't, for any number of reasons. So some part of my brain says, "Well, it's after lunch, now, I don't exercise in the afternoons," or even, "I can't exercise after noon."

Well, it's pretty much ca-ca poo-poo. That's hangover from the other life, pre-retirement, when there were other priorities, like work that had be scheduled around. So, here it is 4:15 p.m., and I just finished a yoga stretch and 30 minutes on the elliptical, and hey, I didn't die. What a deal. I get impatient with myself when it's so hard to just get my mind to relax and stop saying "can't," when the real word is "couldn't."

Time to jump in the shower before Corey calls on his way home. Two choices for dinner, Amish breakfast casserole or hamburgers. I'm pretty open to either.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options
    B)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Thank you Rebecca. Eli what a sweetie!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Lisa, I, too, don't care to leave my house (except to walk in my neighborhood) so you dread resonated with me. Every five weeks I drive my friend to the retina center for macular degeneration treatments. It's an easy drive and I sit in the car and read or nap while she has her treatment. Yesterday at the end of her treatment she told me the date of her next treatment and wondered if I could take her later in the afternoon than usual. I told her that leaving the house was the hardest part for me, it didn't matter whether it was at noon or 4PM. She thought I was very flexible and was grateful for my help.

<3 Barbie

My mother struggles with agoraphobia too.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/agoraphobia
    Agoraphobia develops over time
    Agoraphobia usually begins with a stressful event – for example, a person loses a job or a relationship ends. They feel distressed and limit their contact with the outside world (this is called ‘avoidance behaviour’). As time passes, they may consider more and more public places as ‘out of bounds’ until they are eventually confined to their home.
    In other cases, a stressful life event triggers a panic attack. Since panic attacks are so unpleasant, the person may avoid any situation or place that they think might trigger another attack until many situations and places are eventually feared and avoided.

For a little while after my husband's accident, there were places I couldn't go without having a panic attack, like the grocery store, which was a bit problematic because I hadn't started ordering groceries online then.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Greatful today
    Had my gel nails taken off..my nails were so soft underneath..so cut short but with pretty polish.
    We are getting a deluge of rain today..and im happily snuggled under the covers with Alfie..
    Did go and check on my Homie and all is well there too.

I find all sorts of nail polish just wrecks my nails so I only wear it maybe a couple times a year.

I also wear my nails quite short for typing purposes ... and most people I see here wear short nails with no polish.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Ok out of curiosity I logged every blinkin thing in my Japanese meal today. Interesting!
    Very low calorie
    High salt but that's mostly the miso and soy sauce, and pickled things
    Probably need more protein, might have a hard boiled egg tonight.
    This afternoon is two sweet things with matcha.💖
    2ri3pswinvum.png
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Our instant noodles tend to be higher calorie, I think. One package is 175 grams = 397 cal.

I like having a package of them topped with steamed veggies, but will only do that when I've gone for a 5-6 km walk at lunch.

5b8rdap0j0qt.png
    skteynlmpfi9.png

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Trying to teach myself to stop saying "I won't," or "I can't," in situations where it's habitual, rather than actual. For instance, my aversion to exercising other than in the morning is old habit. It's not that I can't, it's that I didn't, for any number of reasons. So some part of my brain says, "Well, it's after lunch, now, I don't exercise in the afternoons," or even, "I can't exercise after noon."

Well, it's pretty much ca-ca poo-poo. That's hangover from the other life, pre-retirement, when there were other priorities, like work that had be scheduled around. So, here it is 4:15 p.m., and I just finished a yoga stretch and 30 minutes on the elliptical, and hey, I didn't die. What a deal. I get impatient with myself when it's so hard to just get my mind to relax and stop saying "can't," when the real word is "couldn't."

Time to jump in the shower before Corey calls on his way home. Two choices for dinner, Amish breakfast casserole or hamburgers. I'm pretty open to either.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

Good for you!! :)

During the years I lived on my own, in the winters I'd often start exercising at 10 pm and do about 1.5 hours of exercise ... then relax for about half an hour and go to bed.

And yet, in the summer, our organised rides often started sometime between 4 and 6 am ... so I'd be out there then. Never impressed with exercising at that time of day, but it didn't kill me to do it.

Now I do the bulk of my exercising during the day at work.

We put it wherever it fits. :)

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    <3