OCTOBER 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,977 Member
    Options
    You're doing much better with the exercise than you thought you would @tarun_yadavA .

@yirara Sorry you are having stomach issues. I've had serious acid reflux before and it can be so painful. I hope it gets better soon. Are you taking anything for it?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    You're doing much better with the exercise than you thought you would @tarun_yadavA .

@yirara Sorry you are having stomach issues. I've had serious acid reflux before and it can be so painful. I hope it gets better soon. Are you taking anything for it?

Thanks a lot @quilteryoyo I only ever feel reflux around my vocal chords, throat, mouth and nose. And in my airways if I exercise or speak a lot. Not much helps, really. PPI and antacids do next to nothing. Thus I have to be very careful, not exercise, not speak too much. I think I'm fine again :)
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Other than being the first real cold run of the year...

That was quick! I'll bet on this month's thread I can find some "boy it's so hot still" posts.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,444 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Other than being the first real cold run of the year...

That was quick! I'll bet on this month's thread I can find some "boy it's so hot still" posts.

You're right @chris_in_cal ... We only get about a week of Fall here 😉
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,977 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are feeling better @yirara . I have found when I have a particularly bad episode, just drinking water calms it down. Weird, but it does. But, mine doesn't happen very often, thankfully.

Nice run @kgirlhart . I'm sure I would wear longer pants in those temps too. Glad it was a good one for you.

You are doing great @SummerSkier . I bet you could find a charity, or maybe even a local school that would take those shoes off your hands. I know around here a lot of the schools have shoes and essential clothes on hand for kids who don't have any. Thanks for your comment about my running. I have been thinking about my plan. I really like to have one to give me an idea as to what different types of runs I can/should do and distances, etc. But, I need to just use it more as a guide and not be tied to it too much. That is what I do anyway, but I feel "bad" (not exactly the right word) when I don't follow the schedule. So, guide it is. :wink:

@Scott6255 Treadmills ARE good for that.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!
    Got in 4.5M today (09"18).
    As always - thanks @quilteryoyo and @SummerSkier for your kind words and encouragement 😊 ... And yes, you're right. So far: 4 runs (+1 gym elliptical) /7 days is better than what I hoped.
    I'm going to run with someone local here tomorrow. So that should be good. Better than monotonous laps!

bON, RE: food...
    Well... As you may already know from me... When I travel (well, working this week!), I like to take in the local food+drink and culture as much as possible. Eat and drink like locals would. I'm a poor man's Anthony Bourdain tribute act. So yesterday night, after finishing work around 9.30/10... came across this guy...

aviacnxozjv3.jpg

Food truck. Smelt amazing. It's called a 'Kathi roll'. Kinda like a Mexican tlayuda but with a beaten egg cooked into it one side... And then they fill it up with grilled meat and onions and chillies and chilli sauce.
    Soooo good

btnkp0azoeu1.jpg

9dv906bomm1h.jpg

This one was a 'single egg, double mutton'. Sooo good.
    I've been lucky with no 'Delhi Belly'! Worried a bit about the kids though... Eldest is especially keen to try street food. Youngest is more into what I would call 'Glocal' fusion cuisine... ie, he wants to see what McDonalds India and KFC India have to offer. Apparently KFC India has thing called a 'biryani bucket', where it's a bucket of chicken fried rice, topped with popcorn chicken and comes with various curry type dips (glocal sub for gravy I guess?).

Oh, and add to the calories... tea is huge here. Or chai even. But it's these multiple cups of milky sugary sweet tea that's laced with subtle flavours... Ginger cinnamon etc.
    And then they have it with things... Sometimes fried and savoury, rather than say cookies or cake. My favourite is thing called a 'pakora'. It's basically a deep fried fritter. And you can stick allsorts of veggies in it. Onions are common. My favourite is this one called 'Paneer' - which is a type of Indian cheese.
    So the end result is something kinda like a spicy Culvers Cheese curds or Mozzarella sticks but with a different batter and spiced obviously.
    'paneer pakora'
    2420pyhg1iu8.jpg

Side side note-
    Asked why do Starbucks and other coffee places call it 'Chai Tea'? Chai = Tea. People in the west are literally saying Tea Tea. 😂

PS: @quilteryoyo how were the apples?
  • mnsmov15
    mnsmov15 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    All of your runs and posts are motivating! Keep it going :)

My goals:
    10k steps/day (310000 for October)
    15*3miles average in October

10/1 4 miles
    10/3 4.2 miles
    10/5 4 miles
    10/8 4 miles
    10/10 4 miles
    10/12 4.5 miles
    10/15 5 miles
    10/17 4.5 miles

Steps completed 201700/31000 so far
  • daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 681 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

@tarun_yadavA you are making my mouth water with all this talk of wonderful Indian food and the photos! I thoroughly enjoy Indian food and have tried my hand at making many Indian dishes and foods over the year, including making my own paneer, pakoras, samosas, poori and so much more.

Thank you for sharing!

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    @tarun_yadavA I also love experiencing a city through it's food scene. Kathi rolls and paneer are both amazing! Palak paneer is probably my husband's favorite Indian dish. A paneer pakora sounds heavenly! 😂 Chai tea! Right up there with naan bread.