WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Walked the wetlands yesterday- met up with a friend's husband who was out walking their dog so finished walking with him. Nice to have someone to chat with instead of the walk alone. Sometimes I like the quiet but sometimes it is nice to chat with a person and not just the birds and ground squirrels.
    Walked last night at the park with my friend. Hit just over 18,000 steps.
    Walked MIL's dog this morning-just 30min walk. Was supposed to meet up with my friend again and our zumba teacher to walk the wetlands under the full moon- they both canceled on me. I didn't want to go by myself- it was an event for the wetlands so other people would be there but I wanted to go with friends. Oh well.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Nice (but cold) 20 km bicycle ride today ...
    xyd4q60fqriy.png

And then a great (but colder) 5.6 km walk!
    9aq8r33etjy5.png

Machka in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It was sad to read about Matthew Perry this evening.

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    My Mom was going to town every day 3 or 4 times a day, the cost of this was more than she could afford. One day she called me complaining that her car was broke down and my brother, a mechanic, wasn’t looking at it. She said he was too busy. I called my brother and he told me that he knew what was wrong. She had run out of gas in the driveway. He went on to explain that she still had two weeks before she would receive money and only had a tiny bit of money. He was trying to help her save some money by keeping her at home.
    Shortly after that we had to take her licence away completely because she wasn’t safe to be driving.
    Alzheimer’s is such a terrible disease.

Tracey In Edmonton

I've read of people disabling their parent's vehicles in some way so they couldn't drive. I hid all the keys for our vehicles from my husband until I was sure he wouldn't drive.

M in Oz

• Miss_Idelia
    Miss_Idelia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    @auntiebk thank you for the welcome! I have wondered if anyone read my post...and I cannot really figure out how to comment on someone else's post yet **shrug**

Use the quote button under the post. See ... it says Flag, Quote, Insightful, etc.

624sypdzn58t.png

Machka in Oz

Thanks !

Miss Idelia (Wanda) in Iowa
  • Miss_Idelia
    Miss_Idelia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @Miss_Idelia Welcome to the group. It’s a busy group, but people do read the posts, and comment when they have more time.
    I have wondered if anyone read my post...and I cannot really figure out how to comment on someone else's post yet **shrug**
    I sometimes use the <Quote> and edit the content. Or, I put the person’s name in bold, and comment.

Machka: We are also in a wet rainy period which is forecast to last several days.
    Heather: Boo! to being unwell, and safe travels.
    Tracey: 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for a speedy recovery for your cousin’s son.

Planning to make a batch of crab apple jelly this morning, and boil a gammon for our salad for dinner tonight. Also going through my winter clothes so that I can swap for summer clothes in my wardrobe. I intended to do this a couple of weeks ago, but we had a late spate of settled warmish weather.

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 to all.

☘️ Terri

Thank you Terri xox

Miss Idelia in IA
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I have a busy day ahead. Daughters and grandson are coming for lunch, so I need to clear my craft stuff off the dining room table, then prep the lunch.

🕊️ Have a Blessed Sunday 🕊️

☘️ Terri
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

Good morning ladies!

Heather yes, it's difficult to know whether to address an issue head on or not. I've been suggesting to my dad that his driving days are coming to an end, and doing my best to keep him off the highways. In the last few days though, he has been talking about driving an hour away to have lunch with a friend. Scary.

Sundays are busier than they used to be. There is Sunday dinner then a nap, then visit Mom, then my buddhist book club. Plenty to do.

Have a great day, my friends!

Annie in Delaware
  • CarolGaGal
    CarolGaGal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Morning! :)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,889 Member
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate the change in seasons.

Today I set an intention to better appreciate what I have, and to strengthen my self confidence.
    Meditation: daily. 27/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 20/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%). 75 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, 7203, 7906,5204, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 220/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1) My mom called me for a change.
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)74/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 23/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 44/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 10/12—(1000%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (1000%) I put the money in, but end up taking it out.
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0,0
    500%) This has stopped. Spending too much.

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better. No matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. So enjoy life no matter where you are, or what you are doing, or your circumstances.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today. I can do this if I try. This was not difficult to do with visitors. Employees were a different matter!
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding. I need to clean the cabinets out. I am planning to start today. Didn’t happen.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust. did not do this.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently. I have accomplished coloring pages, making doctor appointments, calming my nerves by taking some actions I never tried before, and more.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward. This is hard for me.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today. With everything going on around me and in me this will be hard, but I will pay attention to good news.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing. The obstacles I have cannot be solved by me, but by family members.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation. I will have to think on this. I posted pictures of the eclipse that happened here on the Friends Group FB page, and sent some pics to my son and grandson.
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted. I got up in a thankful mood today so I should be able to do this. The eclipse yesterday couldn’t have gone better.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting. I will color, walk, and meditate-all things that are fun and uplifting to me.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society. Teaching adults computer use provides a positive change in my community.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead. My biggest hope for the near future is a holiday without depression and ‘drama’ caused by my family.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future. I think my tenacity will always be helpful to me and others.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time. This will have to wait as I am not feeling too good today. Fall cold.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you. I have been working on this, so this will be in progress for a while. Because I did this, my mother finally called me to see what was up after 3 weeks of missed calls from me.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague. Will do here.
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize. I will put myself first for care so I can take care of others and my normal tasks.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently. Some of my close family contacted me instead of the other way around, 2. Getting appointments with a cardiologist, and a nephrologist. 3. I am over 2 months sober!
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now? 1. Better financial management, 2. My eyes and cataract surgery, 3. Researching and getting my name on lists of potential places to retire to in 3-4 years.
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face. I need to take a hard look at our budget.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time. I hope to go for a walk and to color today.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’ This helps me to make better decisions when I do this.
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to. I look forward to coloring today.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.

RVRita , Roswell, NM

“There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings.” ALANON’s One Day at a Time.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,889 Member
    Options
    I had oatmeal for breakfast this morning aptly as it is National Oatmeal Day! It is also the day some countries Fall Back. I was confused because I didn’t think we changed ours until next week (Nov. 5). Looked it up and I was right, next week the US falls back. See the rest of the list in spoiler.
    ldqnd6wp4qo9.jpeg
    psjsvr14bue8.jpeg
    z8vc7s13aqip.jpeg

RVRita
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday!
    Wow! You all have been busy! Oh, so have i-LOL! Thank you for the lovely support on review. Lisa I will remember next time to state our policy when leaving comments. TY!

Banks stuffs and passwords- I need to really get on this. If something happens to me it will just be a mess since everything is done online. I love "Orchestrator" . Such a wonderful phrase/title for getting things done efficiently without offending those needing that assistance. On that same note, I think I am borrowing a note from one of you ladies and making a master shopping list maybe with minimums on it. More on that shortly.

I love seeing the crafts, food, landscapes, and family pictures (both fur and human)! Keep sharing!

Rebecca Safe travels home.

Machka Just wondering based on things I have seen and read lately.....could the rash be shingles and not an allergic reaction? It seems like a long time for clearing up. Just a thought that crossed my mind especially when you said it was painful.

Michele It is wonderful to find things we have misplaced!

RIP Mathew Perry

So.....yesterday was busy at work but I actually managed to complete 95% of my paperwork while at work!!!!!!! WIN!!! Second win is SIL actually stayed at work ALL day!!!!!! It is the little things. After work, we stopped at a small roadside farmer's market and picked up a small pumpkin, tomatoes, a spaghetti squash (have never made one), and some Amish jelly. Then went and saw the progress on the Bronco pin stripping. She looks awesome. The guy that does it is 86 y/o! Cleaned up barn and moved wood to upper barn level. Made white chicken chili for supper. Put out a few Halloween decorations. 🎃 Visited with neighbors for short time. Then went to Lowe's to return an item and buy new "creepers" for the shop. Then DH and I hit the grocery while it wasn't raining. I got ready to check out and the only lines open were self check out. I REFUSE unless I only have a couple of items. I almost left the cart when a manager opened a checkout for me. YAY! I did save $45 (was still over $200). Got it all unloaded before the skies opened up! So what was next.....oh.....cleaning out, wiping down, and organizing the lazy Susan. DH says I throw too much out. If it hasn't been touched in years and is expired why would I keep it! There really wasn't much in my opinion. I told him that his comments is why I normally did this when he was gone for weekends, so get over it. It has been several years (like 2015) since it has been done. Finished evening watching "Ghostbusters 3" with him.

Slept in this morning! Didn't get up until 830! I continued cleaning out. This time did the spice cabinet and my bathroom cabinet. If it was hard, smelled wrong, or not touched in over 5 years out it went. Lots of trash. Working on freezer now. DH so uncomfortable-lol! I am 😊! Hot tubbed, breakfast, oh, had to throw out toaster. One side not working.

So I am feeling some peace and accomplishment! Need to finish freezer. Then trash run and Costco run(yuck). Rainy, but relaxing day.

Lots of love,
    Kylia in rainy Ohio
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Kylia - Good job! :D I cleaned out the drawer in my bedside cabinet. I've been meaning to do it for ages. Well, this afternoon, it got done. :) Ali the house trash is now in the outside bin. DH puts it on the pavement.

My DSIL was very understanding about me not feeling like a London meet up. <3 She arrives back from her Brittany holiday today. She went with her daughter, so I'm sure they had a good time together, but they could not have had worse weather.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx