WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Rebecca-Add me to the list that thinks you should give your son the plushie. That signifies a special relationship you have with your son.

Tina in CA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: Joe said “I know what you can get me for Christmas, a bench for the powerline meadow.” Amazing as he usually wants nothng for and to do with the holidays. Showed Joe 3 possible garden benches, liked the one he chose ;) Then he said “we can sit on it together and watch the ocean.” :heart::heart::heart:
    Heather the very happiest of anniversaries to you and Johnny. :love: hearing your stories read to the next generation. :heart:
    Rosemarie so glad you had such an enjoyable trip.
    Kylia thankful your DED has a dog sitter with nerves of steel. When I was about 12 a family friend taught his daughter and me gun safet and how to shoot a 22 rifle. Still remember being surprised by the “kick”. Sunday socializing and sending the men off on their own, do they stay together? Sounds like a good way to sneak in some socialization for the guys too! Thinking of Machka’s dementia causes posts. . .
    Annie :heartbreak: and just ((hugs)) Really hope your Mom will accept bathing and other help from the home health nurse.
    Lanette love your questions and how you think.
    Margaret I’ve always carried too much around my waist. There are pictures of me as a skinny legged child with a pot belly, not quite kwashiorkor but . . . Hope your MD has some next steps to help with your breathing.
    Rebecca your sister’s place is beautiful! Sure hope her riding mower is a mulcher. . . ;)
    Debbie, Lisa, Michele Thanks! Do you freeze the fudge before you cut it into squares? Any special wrapping?
    Lisa looks like Egg put her foot down. That’s enough writing for now!
    Sue, yours to Annie. Truth that.
    Vicki so glad you had a good weekend, you deserve it and many more.
    Rebecca “ But I felt sad to tell her. I have learned I can't force Lee into situations he is not comfortable in. I have to also support my husband, and not be one sided or another.” Yes this. Took me a very very very long time to come to your wisdom and still sometimes grieve Joe’s absence from social gatherings, but have to respect his boundaries/comfort level.
    Carol fingers Xd for the leaf removal.
    Ginny what a cute little bug-in-a-rug Luna is! :love:
    Barbie thankful Jake is OK. Love the good for you both long walk with Annie. Treats, positive behaviors and interactions and best of all her nap with Jake ;)
    Tracey Rodger and Joe could be brothers from another mother. I’m a half intro and half extra, an ixtrovert? Need time out and about with people, then quiet time at home to recover :laugh:
    Machka agree. I use “partner” when I don’t know if a couple is married or not.
    11/20: Move: ZERO sets PT , line dance class, dogs to powerline, Steps:8254
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=15 CI<CO net=442 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, library, Post Office, Grocery Outlet, found piano scales fingerings. Wt:131.2
    Time to snooze. Need to get up early to get PT exercises in before MD appointment. Hope s/he has something helpful to say about right leg pains… ;}
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    November: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, CI<CO, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings, start meditating. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.

She has an attachment that sucks all the leaves up and shoots them in a bag thingie. Then she puts the leaves on her burn pile. Her granddaughters come out and help her. They are 6, 8,13. Each of them can drive the gator well. 😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

We mulch all our leaves and pruning and use them on our garden beds to help protect the plants and keep moisture in.

I was going to suggest bagging them like she does, then mulching them.

M in Oz

Now I don't know if her attachment also mulches them as they are sucked up, not quite sure how all that works.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Our mulcher is a separate piece of equipment.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,592 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,951 Member
    Options
    :)MIchele, when it's raining, we just walk less. I tried carrying an umbrella and it was too much trouble. Part of the kibble training with Bessie is training me to give it to her at the right time.

:)Heather, what a great explanation of what clothes to keep. Yes, it's sad but it's smart to give away a wonderful dress that you won't wear again. You looked awesome in that dress and the memories will last forever

:)Rebecca I think the plushie ramein gift sounds perfect for your son. He will love it

:)Rori thanks for sharing all the details of your life now. You are finding the things that make you happy

🌞🥰🐾🧤👣Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,592 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Got to do some HIIT today. I get to exercise at home tomorrow since BK and the gym are closed. I’m planning to do a DVD for the rebounder. Then later in the a.m. we’ll leave for Jess’

After exercise, took my walk, then went to Aldi.

pip – the biggest problem I find when I make dog biscuits is that since they don’t have all sorts of preservatives in them, you can’t leave them on the shelf for too long. Of course, the dog doesn’t have a problem with that….lol

Ginny – Vince had a recall on his Genesis a few years ago. Hyudai didn’t take long to come up with the fix. The fix? A tire wrap! Now mine would entail hundreds of dollars so they’re trying to come up with something cheaper is my guess.

Put out more of the Christmas decorations. It seems like Vince is now taking it slower, not trying to do everything in one day. That’s good

Ordered another new chlorine resistant bathing suit. I really like them and if I’m going to be going to the Y’s pool, I’ll need it.

I, too, am ever so thankful for all of your friendships. So many times during the day I think of everyone here. You all are so wonderful

Tracey – I’m like you, I keep a box and when I get to something that I’d really rather not have (it doesn’t fit well, or whatever) it goes into the box and when the box is full, it gets donated. (((HUG)))

Rebecca – your son may be an adult. But we all have a little child in us. I for one think it’s a cute gift and he’ll enjoy it. Vince always said that he wanted a Corvette. So one year I got him a Corvette – a Matchbox one. He thought that was funny! So I think your son will find that plushie cute

Michele NC

Yeah you can, I freeze them, so I can make 2 batches at a time and they will last that way
  • Machka9
    Options
    Michele - I hadn’t thought of donating to a theatre, that’s a great idea.
    The ornament I posted the pictures of are about 6” high. The ones I’ve worked on today will be about 7”. It depends on what I have for wood to work with.

Rori - I always enjoy when you pop in and tell us of your adventures. Sounds like you are enjoying your life.

Sorry about your friend, I have a friend that is as close as a sister, certainly closer than my brother and I can’t imagine life without her. Like you, I wouldn’t want her to suffer.

Rebecca - I can understand the worry about your sister. Is she worrying about taking it on?Taking her away from that may cause a decline in her health and happiness if it’s not something she is considering.

Debbie - I am always amazed how much you do and how little it seems to be reciprocated.

Annie - I’m sorry your parents are being so difficult. It sure doesn’t make it easy on you, but you’re doing a great job.

Barbara - LOL I wore stockings a few times, and did own a girdle I think I wore once. I think it’s funny when young people say they don’t wear girdles, shape-wear is basically the same.

Heather - I am the same as you regarding clothes that I don’t wear. I keep a bag in my room and as I realize I’m passing something over on a regular basis I put it in the bag. When the bag is full I donate it.
    I like to clean when DH is away too. It’s my favourite time to do it.

Kylia - Having your wedding dress altered is a great idea.

My Mom was a very small woman when she was married. At age 13 I couldn’t fit into her dress to wear for a play at church. (I thought Mary should wear a wedding dress. Joseph wore a suit and top hat 😂). My Mom gave her dress to a family who couldn’t afford a dress when their daughter was married.

Beth - Vitamins were in our news yesterday, it seems our government is cracking down on vitamins that are not actually vitamins. I know this has been in the news for a long time that some companies are using placebos. I hope that this doesn’t affect Kirkland brand.

Lisa - I don’t make pie crust either. The first time I wanted to make a pie I asked my MIL to teach me. She said, “come with me.” We went to the local grocery store and bought Tenderflake frozen pie crusts. She told me to put it in my pie plate and not to tell Mike (My FIL). I’ve stuck to that recipe ever since. She however, makes pie crusts from scratch at times still.

Venting about DH:
    I’m concerned about my DH. Since his Dad passed in January he hasn’t done anything he enjoys. His doctor wanted to put him on anti-depressants in August and he said no. He thought our camping trip was going to miraculously fix him. Of course, it didn’t.
    He has now started his winter work schedule, night shift and seems to be getting worse. He told me last week that he seems to be irritable for no reason. I asked if he had talked to his doctor about anti-depressants again and he said no that he’s not going take them.
    He is not wanting to do his part on any of the ornaments that I know sell even after we had a long talk before I signed up for shows because I was concerned he wouldn’t. He is also taking the option of coming home instead of staying at work because he’s bored. I didn’t register to go to school until I had talked to him and he was willing to ensure we had money while I do it. So far this week he’s lost 16 hours of work for no reason in my opinion. The reason they have nothing to do is because we have no snow.
    Last night he promised to work on ornaments and he burned 10 of the easiest design he can do. Told me when he sat down he felt sick. I told him it was because he really doesn’t want to do it. He got mad and walked away.
    I’m left in tears. I know how difficult it is to lose a parent, I struggled terribly when my Dad passed, so I’m trying very hard to be empathetic and supportive but he doesn’t want to help himself and that makes it hard for me.

I made some new ornaments yesterday, today I’m going to go to IKEA and get a stand alone peg board to help with my display.
    I also have to go to the post office.

Tracey in Edmonton

Is he on Vits D and a B multi?

Can you suggest going for a walk in the sun? Walk and talk.
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Beth-I think you are choosing very sensible approach. I always look at ingredients and see if there may be alternatives.

Rebecca-I gave YS (who is 32) a DragonBall Z t-shirt for Christmas last year and he was over the moon. He still thinks the show is cool. ES will still go for Batman. Stepson loves legos. You know what works for your kids. My DIL I would not think of such things for her.

Tracey-I have never liked the idea of antidepressants for me, I prefer to find other ways to help me through down times (exercise, meditation, etc.). May instead of pushing a medical treatment for your husband, ask him/help him develop a non-medication plan. Please don't get me wrong-I know they are helpful to many people but they are not everyone's cup of tea.

Lanette-you come up with such interesting research and studies. I wonder if I would be younger if I went back into 1960's mode?

Tina-that dinner sounds wonderful! I hop DH feels better (or they figure it out).

Allie-hope you feel better. Do you have an urgent care center near you? I have used them and the minute clinics at CVS when not able to get into doctor. They are much cheaper than the emergency room (and much faster).

Foot doctor seemed surprised that therapy company had not gotten in touch with me. She is resending things this afternoon. She said there were a couple of choices and it depends upon what insurance approves. She said I will most like have a co-pay. I told her I don't care about that-I need some relief. She thinks the problem is increasingly that the arthritis is pinching the nerve (in addition to the inflammation). I would like to try the treatment for the injections before going down the road of further testing.

Off to make myna dish for Thanksgiving-it is just a jello, whole cranberry, nuts, apple, and orange rind that we love for some reason. It is what DYS wants me to bring so I will.

Good luck to all starting the Thanksgiving prep-don't over do it! And for those who have never experienced the insanity of an American Thanksgiving, it is hard to describe. But I think every culture has some day (or more) devoted to eating traditional dishes, being lazy, and arguing politics (or other similar topic).

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

No Thanksgiving in Australia. It is not celebrated here.

Christmas is a fairly big thing.

Machka in Oz
  • CarolGaGal
    CarolGaGal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Michelle ~ We went to Burger King for lunch today. They have the best french fries around and I lover their Whoppers and Junior Whoppers. Sadly, no Burger King Restaurants near where we live.

Carol in GA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Michele - I hadn’t thought of donating to a theatre, that’s a great idea.
    The ornament I posted the pictures of are about 6” high. The ones I’ve worked on today will be about 7”. It depends on what I have for wood to work with.

Rori - I always enjoy when you pop in and tell us of your adventures. Sounds like you are enjoying your life.

Sorry about your friend, I have a friend that is as close as a sister, certainly closer than my brother and I can’t imagine life without her. Like you, I wouldn’t want her to suffer.

Rebecca - I can understand the worry about your sister. Is she worrying about taking it on?Taking her away from that may cause a decline in her health and happiness if it’s not something she is considering.

Debbie - I am always amazed how much you do and how little it seems to be reciprocated.

Annie - I’m sorry your parents are being so difficult. It sure doesn’t make it easy on you, but you’re doing a great job.

Barbara - LOL I wore stockings a few times, and did own a girdle I think I wore once. I think it’s funny when young people say they don’t wear girdles, shape-wear is basically the same.

Heather - I am the same as you regarding clothes that I don’t wear. I keep a bag in my room and as I realize I’m passing something over on a regular basis I put it in the bag. When the bag is full I donate it.
    I like to clean when DH is away too. It’s my favourite time to do it.

Kylia - Having your wedding dress altered is a great idea.

My Mom was a very small woman when she was married. At age 13 I couldn’t fit into her dress to wear for a play at church. (I thought Mary should wear a wedding dress. Joseph wore a suit and top hat 😂). My Mom gave her dress to a family who couldn’t afford a dress when their daughter was married.

Beth - Vitamins were in our news yesterday, it seems our government is cracking down on vitamins that are not actually vitamins. I know this has been in the news for a long time that some companies are using placebos. I hope that this doesn’t affect Kirkland brand.

Lisa - I don’t make pie crust either. The first time I wanted to make a pie I asked my MIL to teach me. She said, “come with me.” We went to the local grocery store and bought Tenderflake frozen pie crusts. She told me to put it in my pie plate and not to tell Mike (My FIL). I’ve stuck to that recipe ever since. She however, makes pie crusts from scratch at times still.

Venting about DH:
    I’m concerned about my DH. Since his Dad passed in January he hasn’t done anything he enjoys. His doctor wanted to put him on anti-depressants in August and he said no. He thought our camping trip was going to miraculously fix him. Of course, it didn’t.
    He has now started his winter work schedule, night shift and seems to be getting worse. He told me last week that he seems to be irritable for no reason. I asked if he had talked to his doctor about anti-depressants again and he said no that he’s not going take them.
    He is not wanting to do his part on any of the ornaments that I know sell even after we had a long talk before I signed up for shows because I was concerned he wouldn’t. He is also taking the option of coming home instead of staying at work because he’s bored. I didn’t register to go to school until I had talked to him and he was willing to ensure we had money while I do it. So far this week he’s lost 16 hours of work for no reason in my opinion. The reason they have nothing to do is because we have no snow.
    Last night he promised to work on ornaments and he burned 10 of the easiest design he can do. Told me when he sat down he felt sick. I told him it was because he really doesn’t want to do it. He got mad and walked away.
    I’m left in tears. I know how difficult it is to lose a parent, I struggled terribly when my Dad passed, so I’m trying very hard to be empathetic and supportive but he doesn’t want to help himself and that makes it hard for me.

I made some new ornaments yesterday, today I’m going to go to IKEA and get a stand alone peg board to help with my display.
    I also have to go to the post office.

Tracey in Edmonton

Yep, most definitely. Her joys of country living, isn't for the faint of heart, and that's what keeps her active. I think she just has to pay attention to the balance of it all. There's blessings and then there are burdens.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Rebecca-Add me to the list that thinks you should give your son the plushie. That signifies a special relationship you have with your son.

Tina in CA

Thanks! When I saw it, I instantly thought of our monthly pilgrimages to the ramen restaurant. Hopefully it will be a nice reminder for him.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    rebecca - sorry I got the boys mixed up on who was who.....

Kim
  • Whidislander
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    rebecca - sorry I got the boys mixed up on who was who.....

Kim

No worries Kim💖👍🏼! I tend to go thru all the names before I hit the right one when they're all home. (oh the joy of being able to mix up like that). Its been so long since I have seen them together in the same room).💖🤗
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa