Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,272 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I’m passable in 3 languages and studied tons of Greek and Latin in school. I can pronounce a LOT of things. That means I can eat whatever I want, right?

Haha! I have seen a variation of this “rule” as “If your grandmother wouldn’t recognize the ingredients, don’t eat it.”

My grandmother was a chemist, so I’d bet she’d recognize more ingredients that I would.

I think what Mr. Pollan suggested was to generally avoid things that your grandmother (or great grandmother) wouldn't recognize AS FOOD. One set of my grandparents ran a new and used auto parts shop. My grandmother could recognize a brake shoe, but she wouldn't have considered it food. The other set of grandparents ran restaurants. They would recognize floor wash soap, but they wouldn't have considered it food.

I really don't think it's a bad generality.

What we most remember that Mr. Pollan said was, "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." That's three things. The suggestion was that "food" is something your great grandmother would have recognized as food. The other two suggestions are pretty straightforward. All seem reasonable guidance to me.

One set of grandparents used to have a regular subscription to a company that delivered potato chips. Yep. That used to be a thing. The company still makes chips, but they don't deliver. You'd leave the metal tins out, and the delivery driver would collect them and leave a fresh tin. Oh the memories. So, my grandmother would recognize potato chips as food, and it's made from plants. That's where "not too much" comes into play.

As such, I actually do not wish this myth would go away. I wish more people would see it in context and opt for choosing healthy foods most of the time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    If apple cider vinegar is that good for you, imagine what wine can do!

My latest peeve is everyone being on “detox” again. It must be an end-of-year thing.

Post-holiday ritual expiation of food sins . . . US Thanksgiving now, Christmas/New Years later? ;):D
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I think what Mr. Pollan suggested was to generally avoid things that your grandmother (or great grandmother) wouldn't recognize AS FOOD. One set of my grandparents ran a new and used auto parts shop. My grandmother could recognize a brake shoe, but she wouldn't have considered it food. The other set of grandparents ran restaurants. They would recognize floor wash soap, but they wouldn't have considered it food.

well, no - nobody ever considers floor wash soap or brake shoes as food and I dont think anybody intended the motto to mean don't eat anythings your grandmother didnt recognise - that would be even sillier than the intended meaning of don't eat ingredients or food she wouldnt recognise.

Which is also very silly.,

I think it is a really silly generality

My grandmother was actually a very good cook - but she lived in rural Australia and cooked and recognised conservative western staples. And died nearly 30 years ago

To extrapolate from that to not eat for example, stir-fries, bok choy, tofu,sushi, chick peas - makes of course no sense whatsoever.
  • mtaratoot
    Options

well, no - nobody ever considers floor wash soap or brake shoes as food and I dont think anybody intended the motto to mean don't eat anythings your grandmother didnt recognise - that would be even sillier than the intended meaning of don't eat ingredients or food she wouldnt recognise.

Which is also very silly.,

I think it is a really silly generality

My grandmother was actually a very good cook - but she lived in rural Australia and cooked and recognised conservative western staples. And died nearly 30 years ago

To extrapolate from that to not eat for example, stir-fries, bok choy, tofu,sushi, chick peas - makes of course no sense whatsoever.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems like you are trying to set up straw-man propositions. Earlier you suggested that someone with a lisp couldn't eat anything because they might not be able to pronounce it.
    And if I have a lisp and can't pronounce spinach,I shouldn't eat it??

And if I have a stroke or suchlike and can't pronounce anything,I should eat nothing?

Of all the diet advice I think ' don't eat anything you can't pronounce' is the silliest of the lot.

That proposition would also extend to someone who was not a native speaker of a language and had an accent. I don't think anyone would make that inference nor the inference that a person with a lisp shouldn't eat spinach.

If your grandmother were alive and someone showed her a bok choy, perhaps she WOULD recognize that it is in fact a vegetable. Certainly if she had traveled to Asia and saw someone cooking it, she likely wouldn't think that it wasn't food.

There was a time when I wouldn't eat sushi. I currently am a bit squeamish about the prospect of eating insects. Both should be considered food, although neither is a plant. I would love to be able to get over my issue with insects because in reality they would be a great food resource for humans and were for many cultures throughout the world over the ages. Even in the story of Exodus, one of the plagues was locusts. When that plague was over, the locusts were blown out into the red sea. Had they just died on shore, they would have been a grand repast.

Our ideas of foods surely change over time. Several hundred years ago, Jonathan Swift suggested it "must have been a bold man who first ate an oyster." They were nearly extirpated on parts of the west coast of the USA when gold miners discovered how delicious they were and when trains could deliver them.

Nutrition science is still a very young science. We keep discovering how we were wrong when we thought we knew something. Maybe having some sideboards to help us make good choices aren't silly. Maybe there's a better way to describe the idea that people can figure out what's good to eat and what's not. Cheetos are tasty, but they're probably not "good to eat." Eating a few likely won't cause long-term harm, but avoiding them completely will certainly cause no harm unless that's the only food accessible to you for the next two weeks.

I'm rambling. I'll stop now. I'm going to go eat some plants. Not too much though.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems like you are trying to set up straw-man propositions. Earlier you suggested that someone with a lisp couldn't eat anything because they might not be able to pronounce it.

No I am trying to point out how silly the rule is.

I wasn't suggesting people with a lisp don't eat spinach - I was using that as an example of how silly the rule is.

And sure, my grandmother may have eaten differently if she travelled to Asia or lived today or whatever - but the rule is don't eat anything your grandmother didn't recognise as food - not what she hypothetically would do if she were someone alive today.

It's a silly rule.
    As per my example of perfectly nutritious things that it would rule me out of eating.
  • Donnagemmy
    Donnagemmy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't eat after 7.. eat more for breakfast, then medium for lunch and light light dinner..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Donnagemmy wrote: »
    Don't eat after 7.. eat more for breakfast, then medium for lunch and light light dinner..
    Well one DOESN'T have to eat breakfast at all. The traditional "morning" meal breakfast if we're speaking in literal terms. I eat lunch and dinner and snack after 9pm everyday. I don't eat "breakfast" and first meal is after 12pm.
    Also for me, if I eat before 12pm, I have a tendency to want to keep eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    ...eat more for breakfast, then medium for lunch and light light dinner..

I usually eat the exact reverse of this: My biggest meal of the day is almost invariably the evening meal, and IF I have breakfast at all it's something super small, like a small yogurt, more of a snack than a meal.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,312 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    But - "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!"

No, it's not. While I love breakfast food, it doesn't mean it must be consumed before 10am...and be hearty to boot.

I bought into this one for a while, but eventually realized the earlier I broke my fast, the more hours in the day I had for eating! New 'rule' - break your fast when you're hungry...
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I don't understand why so many people seem to be arguing with this post.

It was posted on a thread where we're posting myths that won't go away.

I assumed the person who posted it meant that it was a myth that wouldn't go away.

Apparently disputing this myth won't go away, either? :D:drinker:

I think sometimes people open topics to see the most recent post and miss the actual title of the topic and then misinterpret when the poster just mentions a myth without further comment. Just a hypothesis based on my own experience - I usually realise my mistake before actually posting a reply 😄
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,936 Member
    Options

Don't you think this was probably true for the person who originally said this? Like some of us say the opposite is true for us, some say count calories for a day, others say count for a week. Some say exercise doesn't matter, others think it's extremely important.
    I don't really think it's a myth, just certainly not "one size fits all."
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »

Don't you think this was probably true for the person who originally said this? Like some of us say the opposite is true for us, some say count calories for a day, others say count for a week. Some say exercise doesn't matter, others think it's extremely important.

I think that's the point though; some people say this kind of thing as a blanket statement. E.g., "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." As a blanket statement, not only is it a myth, it's not true.

Not all myths are false; they are just commonly-believed stories. Like the myth that washing dishes by hand uses less water than using a dishwasher. Modern dishwashers heat their own water, and they use very little water. As long as you don't pre-wash your dishes, and as long as you wash full loads, you probably use more water to wash by hand. Some myths cannot be true. Many cultures have creation myths. It might be that none of them are true, but for sure they cannot all be true because they are mutually exclusive.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »

But that is the same caveat as usual - nobody objects to breakfast is my biggest meal, I find weekly calorie counting better etc

The problem is when such things are presented as universal absolute musts rather than individual preferences.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Don't let your toes go past your knees when squatting or lunging.

While I see a lot of this with new trainers, I've been seeing more on social media fitness. The caveat to this would really only be true if someone has knee issues or doing it pains their knees badly.

There are times in the day people's knees pass their toes especially when climbing stairs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bduanemyfitness
    bduanemyfitness Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Somebody posted
    "If apple cider vinegar is that good for you, imagine what wine can do!"

That got me thinking about wine...and "rules"

"Never drink wine from a bottle that is bigger than your head"
    That seemed reasonable enough in the context of "jug wines".
    but then I experienced a remarkable older California Cabernet from Robert Mondavi that was bottled in a Jeroboam. It was magnificent.

So much for rules ;)

• MamaBear5445
    MamaBear5445 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Cutting out gluten will solve all your issues.

Bread is bad.

I grew up on a very very heavy bread culture (Netherlands) and this one really bothers me. Most people there are not overweight. Americans stop picking on bread!!! It isn't bread that is making you fat and giving you all your woes.