WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,860 Member
    edited February 4
    Options
    On dresses and skirts ...

I wear them to work, to church, to a play or concert, out to dinner, even around the house sometimes. I find them much more comfortable than pants.
    (That said, I do have one pair of dress pants which I wore to the concert on Friday because it was so windy).

Like Debbie, I rarely wear pantyhose or tights with my dresses and skirts. I have one dress, which I wore on my husband and my anniversary, with which I will wear dark black pantyhose. That's for really fancy occasions.

Otherwise I wear leggings ... long leggings in winter, knee-length leggings in spring and autumn, and short leggings in the summer.

My dress shoes have a heel that is about 1.5 inches high. The rest of my shoes are basically flat and I wear them with bare feet or shoe liners.

All dressed up at a conference in Brisbane last winter ... I've got short leggings on, but definitely no pantyhose!!

ar1fcwkym80u.png
    plskp6jtzbsy.png

It's fairly rare to see someone wear pantyhose anymore. Thicker, dark black tights are popular, but not other sorts of pantyhose.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - do you tear pages out to colour so there isn’t bleed-through on the next page? I would never have thought of colouring with Sharpies my head aches with much use of them.
    Tracey in Edmonton

There is bleed-through, and in fact, it takes a few goes with the alcohol pens to be able to colour without bleeding all over the picture. You need a light hand.

But I slide 3 or 4 sheets of paper under the picture, and I only use colouring books with pictures on one side of the page.

I started blonding my hair when I was about 16 and was fully dying it by my late 20s. My natural colour is a mousey brown with a whole lot of grey!

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,205 Member
    edited February 4
    Options
    I colour my own hair to avoid paying the outrageous prices at the salon. I just do my roots. It's easy and looks fine, I think. I am completely grey/white now, from what I can see. I've been using the same make and colour for years and years.
    If I could cut my own hair then ditto. Unfortunately, because it is a straight bob, it needs a very skilled professional. If it were curly, I'd do it myself. I hate paying their prices. As it is, I go in for a 'wet cut', where they wash and trim it, then just give it a quick ruffle blow dry, and I leave with it slightly damp and no styling. Saves a few pounds.

Tracey - I so adore your grandchildren! <3 Jonah looks like his dad! Is he still requesting non-gender specific pro-nouns? I think I might have done that.
    I find my grandchildren bring light and a fresh burst of energy into my world. My son teases me that I'm old and won't like things. He's right about certain TV programmes, but I think I'm up with fashion, design, and trends. :# He mainly does it to annoy me. It's good to be around younger people, but my children are now 47 and 44. Creeping up on middle age themselves!

Ginny - I don't know why you are working at the weekend. :p<3

Having said that, I did contact a couple of publicity contacts yesterday!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,205 Member
    edited February 4
    Options
    I wear workout leggings all the time, apart from in the evening on the cruises, when I do wear a maxi dress. I just might wear a dress for a special occasion in the summer. I have some light baggy trousers for heat waves.
    My uniform is, leggings, long tight camisole (instead of a bra) in a bright colour, and a light sweater in a contrasting colour on the top. In summer the sweater becomes a long or short sleeve t shirt, still with the camisole. Hardly ever wear sleeveless as I don't like my arms. Ditto my legs, no shorter skirts. I can, if it is hot, wear a sleeveless camisole with a light shirt open over the top.. I like that. I also wear a light shirt on its own. I rarely expose my skin to the sun, and wear a huge hat. I do take vitamin D every day.

I like my simple uniform. I have very few clothes.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,090 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Machka9
    Options
    Well it os 1:49 in the morning and im awake with yet another dilemma tossing in my head.
    I love Alfie with all my heart and soul and he is such a snuggle dog..but I don't get him out for alot of walks and Im wondering if he might be better off with Tom and Elena,now I could of course visit anytime,but they have a big fenced in yard and Tom would walk him at least a couple times a day.. and they love him..
    Im just in a quandary of what to do.. Ive had him 7 yrs and its not like im putting him out on the streets, I just feel as if Im just not giving him the life he deserves.

Two thoughts ...

1. Can you start walking him regularly? It would probably be good for both of you!

2. You and the neighbours would probably appreciate the silence. :)

M in Oz

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,042 Member
    edited February 4
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I did get rid of several dresses, but kept a few just in case. Many of them were solid colors that make me look and feel lumpy.

My uniform these days is a tee shirt over yoga pants, sometimes with a sweatshirt, too. And jeans some days. I need to be careful because I could gain another ten pounds and not know it.

My plan for maintenance did not work. I gained twenty pounds since last July. Now the muscle aches are coming back, and my jeans are tight so I really need to rein it in. All my bad habits came back - too much sugar, not logging, cookies and chocolate. Sigh.

Lisa that pothole sounds scary! Glad you weren't hurt. And you are making lovely progress with your house. Fabulous!

Barbara my dad can walk to the senior center. There might be rides available but he would have to admit that his driving is suspect. Actually I don't ride with him anymore so I don't know how bad it is.

Annie in Delaware

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Michelle NV - I'm so sorry to hear about Trinket's lump - I agree with Debbie's actions on the part of her mama cat. If it is not bothering Trinket, why traumatize her completely with little real outcome in terms of the enjoyment and length of her life? Egg too was feral, but only about six weeks old, so bonded with us quite strongly. She adores Corey, and pretty much treats me like another resident cat, I think... fun to play with, warm to sit on, easy to annoy. She looks like a lap cat because that's when I take pictures. Most of the time, not so much.

Allie -
    On the subject of animals, I think Alfie would have a wonderful and amazing life with Tom and Elena, as well as joyful reunions with you when they travel. They're much more set up for a dog, and I am sure they miss theirs. Plus, as Machka noted, it would give a much less noisy and stressful environment for you and Siri.

Barbara AHMOD - "Guess it’s been a while since we bought a new car. . . ;) " The donuts or "space saver" tires have been around for a LONG time. Volkswagen was using them by the late 1980s, and more than half of car manufacturers use them now. Very few trucks have them, because they're used to diminish the overall weight (and cheaper for the manufacturers). So sorry the shoulder is continuing to pain.

Betsy - So glad you're back and safe and enjoying your quiet. My exhaustion in being around other people is almost fully driven by noise. I don't tolerate it well anymore.

Annie - So pleased your dad is jumping on the senior center opportunities! Thanks for the comment on the reno - always nice when something is done. :) If I wore dresses (I don't), I would keep only three. One to wear to a wedding, one to wear to a funeral and one to wear on a hot date. You can always buy another if the date works out. :smiley:

Time to snag Corey a second cup of coffee and get going in the laundry room. Hope it's a lovely Sunday for everyone.

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,540 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I colour my own hair to avoid paying the outrageous prices at the salon. I just do my roots. It's easy and looks fine, I think. I am completely grey/white now, from what I can see. I've been using the same make and colour for years and years.
    If I could cut my own hair then ditto. Unfortunately, because it is a straight bob, it needs a very skilled professional. If it were curly, I'd do it myself. I hate paying their prices. As it is, I go in for a 'wet cut', where they wash and trim it, then just give it a quick ruffle blow dry, and I leave with it slightly damp and no styling. Saves a few pounds.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

my hair is very curly and very long so I cut my own hair. I have colored it in the past but haven't in almost 10 yrs. I put it in a braid, cut off the bottom inch or two and am done. If I see a split end, I just cut it off. Very simple
    Back in high school and when I was first married, I did the Sun In spray. Former hubby still calls me Blondie
    The only thing I do to my hair is use a curl activator cream/gel(depending on the brand) after I wash it to keep the curls nice for church or what ever. By the end of the week it is pulled back in a braid.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,839 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Kylia!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    Morning again all
    Went back to sleep for a bit and feel a bit better.
    And had another idea..maybe we could share Alfie..i would still take care of the vet issues but he could spend 3 - 4 days at there house and the same at mine..will talk to Tom about it and see if they are up for it.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Heather - I left you a review on Amazon. I really enjoyed your book. Well done!