Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

How About We Don't Delete Newsfeeds

Options

Replies

• Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I will be completely frank- my fitfam here is the entire reason I use this app. There are many trackers out there now, most of which have better functionality, but my social support system is not there, it’s here. It is the one thing that sets MFP apart from others, without them, it is functionally much more like my smart scale app, which I use 1x per day to record my weight. Essentially making something that is priceless…into something that has little value at all.

This!! ^ Well said.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Great post!
    For some psychological reason, you take pleasure in voicing your contrary opinion everytime someone says they are saddened by this current turn of events.

This from someone who continually says they have no friends in their newsfeed and who has a thread on bicycling that

This just ad hominem junk that does help make your point.

But your clarity on business and finance is important, thank you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    This from someone who continually says they have no friends in their newsfeed and who has a thread on bicycling that no one engages in - Alternatively - there exist people who have formed bonds with others and have immense personal support on their journey.

You keep mentioning Francisco partners but it seems you don’t know how Private equity firms work. Yes, they are there to capitalize - they also have nonstop “exits” - these are the businesses they ditch constantly when they are no longer considered an asset. They take a bet on which will perform and when they don’t- they get auctioned off.

If you read the Wall St Journal… it’s chock full of exited businesses that FP decides to offload.

I’d be interested to see if MFP is offloaded in a few years - but at least it’s a comfort to FP for them to know they have you to constantly voice your pleasure at other’s displeasure.

Cheers.🥂

I think it's actually you who doesn't see other perspectives. I'm the one trying to present other possible perspectives. :) I suggested the tax write-off possibility as that ... maybe it's a possibility.

You may be right ... MFP may very well be offloaded in a few years. I'm glad you brought up the points you did. Thank you.

I don't think I've ever said I had no friends in my newsfeed. I had to go look just now, but I've got 87 friends, but my newsfeed is full of automatic posts which suggests to me that hardly any of them actually use the newsfeed.

Not sure where this thread on bicycling that no one engages in is, but I stopped creating or engaging in "Challenges" threads here a long time ago. Life moves on. Changes happen.

I'm sorry that you're losing something that meant something to you. But that is the "danger" of online sites and forums. I've been through it with other sites and forums, some of which ended up closing down entirely without much notice. We don't own them. We have very little say in what happens to them. And they're temporary. Temporary because they are based on software that changes. Temporary because they get passed around from owner to owner.

I do get it. You're all grieving the loss of something that was important to you.

Now you'll need to figure out a Plan B.

Life is full of Plan Bs, Cs, Ds ...

Personally, I hope that they develop the new profile area more. It's clearly still in development ... so hopefully they'll make something nice of it.
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2
    Options
    Why not just make the Newsfeed a premium feature? Frankly, that would be more valuable than most of the premium features....and I say that as a premium user.

I pay because it helps me psychologically to make that investment in myself, but otherwise, the difference between premium and free never seemed that much to me. I like the lack of ads and that I can adjust my macros, but that's it.

Meanwhile, the Newsfeed adds real community in a way the forums can't. My friends are varied. They're not going to consolidate into one group even if most of them were willing to stay on MFP after this debacle.

Honestly, I can understand why you might need to discontinue the feed for technical reasons, but killing it without a viable alternative is insane!!

Whoever made this decision probably doesn't want to admit a mistake. But, everyone makes mistakes, and the best leaders are people who are willing to reconsider and change course. Therefore, I urge the powers that be to humble themselves and be willing to consider other options.

Yes, people always hate change, but the outcry about this decision runs much deeper. I truly hope the decision-makers will see that and respond before something precious is lost.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I too am a premium member that did not see much value in the premium membership benefits, but I truly felt that I wanted to support the site, as I valued it. My MFP community is important to me. I belong to 2 groups, am a leader on one, but the Newsfeed is something different altogether - friends I have made from all corners of the forum. Hardly any of them are also in my groups or post on threads I frequent.

A viable alternative please before retiring Newsfeed!
  • Machka9
    Options
    The family we have created through newsfeed is extremely important and we use newsfeed Every day!!Ive emailed several people at Francisco partners and haven’t heard back from anyone.But it’s obvious WE don’t matter,we don’t have any say in what we want as the users of mfp.Im sure it’s more to do with money.

Kudos!

If you haven't done so already, try here: https://www.franciscopartners.com/investments/myfitnesspal
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    durden wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    By the way — that link about MFP having 200 M users - is self reported from MFP.

“MyFitnessPal said it had 200 million users when it was sold by Under Armour to Francisco Partners.”

What constitutes a user? A download? Does it matter if the person is active?

—> How many people are active on the community boards of those millions?

It is also a fraction.. are the community boards being retired next since by the same logic - it’s a small number of users compared to the supposed # of millions?

I've been wondering that too. Has anyone else noticed that the bots that used to come through the Feature Suggestions and Tech Support boards don't seem to be around lately? None of the "Great idea! I'll pass it on to the team!" and the "Apologies, please contact support" messages are popping up like they usually do. Makes you wonder if MFP is in the process of shutting the boards down as well.

Just wanted to clarify that we aren't bots- every post you see from a staff member is a real person- and we have no plans or intention of removing our community forums.

Then it’s even more telling that you’ve all disappeared from posting.
  • GSIM62
    GSIM62 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep the newsfeed. I’m not interested in making friends on the app, there’s other apps for that. I’m interested in how much calories I’ve burned or what I’m eating, not going public with all my info. I’ve used MFP for over ten years and managed just fine without having to do this.
  • Machka9
    edited June 3
    Options
    GSIM62 wrote: »
    Keep the newsfeed. I’m not interested in making friends on the app, there’s other apps for that. I’m interested in how much calories I’ve burned or what I’m eating, not going public with all my info. I’ve used MFP for over ten years and managed just fine without having to do this.

Don't worry, they are keeping the food diary and exercise log and might even be enhancing those features to connect them up with your new profile and activity feed. They are, after all, the core of MFP. At its core, MFP is a calorie tracking tool.

Right @Betty :smiley:

They are just removing the section where all the auto-posts go. "So-and-so has burned 112 calories walking". That sort of thing.

@Betty could a more thorough announcement be made ... outside this thread .... regarding what exactly is being removed (because it is unsupported technology) and what is staying and any new features. Unfortunately this hasn't been well announced and so I think some might misunderstand what's going and what is staying.

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    GSIM62 wrote: »

Don't worry, they are keeping the food diary and exercise log and might even be enhancing those features to connect them up with your new profile and activity feed. They are, after all, the core of MFP. At its core, MFP is a calorie tracking tool.

Right @Betty :smiley:

They are just removing the section where all the auto-posts go. "So-and-so has burned 112 calories walking". That sort of thing.

@Betty could a more thorough announcement be made ... outside this thread .... regarding what exactly is being removed (because it is unsupported technology) and what is staying and any new features. Unfortunately this hasn't been well announced and so I think some might misunderstand what's going and what is staying.

The majority of people who utilized the newsfeed did so because they wanted to stay away from the toxic community forums. Like I said in my previous post the newsfeed was a place where we could “hang out” with only those who fit into our worlds.

The “newsfeed was old, out dated and hard to keep up with” is a poor reason for getting rid of it. If anything it was a key part/selling point of the app. If all the of the smaller fitness apps are capable of having/managing personal newsfeeds I’m kinda shocked a big site like mfp isn’t

Don't tell me. I can't do anything about it. Email the Francisco Partners.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    sunrise611 wrote: »
    @tinkerbellang83, it was an unwelcome surprise that was sprung on us and a rug that was ripped out from underneath us.

This is not the fault of Under Armour. They quietly sold the company to Francisco Partners, a private investment firm located in California years ago. So, FP is the one that are running this formerly successful app/site to the ground.

It's tragic when you started off when it was great as I did and many others and witnessed the decline after the corporate acquisitions. I didn't like UA, but it was better than FP, which seems bent on destroying it with their narrow-minded "we know what is best so screw the prols" attitude.

I had already edited my post to reflect that UA had sold off to even more useless owners after realising they no longer own it. Thanks
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    This will actually get quite messy if they get rid of the news feed without any adequate replacement. When the majority people are unable to access what they do on a daily basis as routine, there will be significant vitriol that we haven't seen yet.
  • Machka9
    Options
    This will actually get quite messy if they get rid of the news feed without any adequate replacement. When the majority people are unable to access what they do on a daily basis as routine, there will be significant vitriol that we haven't seen yet.

What do you suppose the majority of people will not be able to access?