urbi4zwlboiu.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,722 Member
    Options
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited June 18
    Options
    Oh dear, Kim. This time of year is very tense. My middle son fought wild land fires the past two seasons. He can't this season because he has a new job and hasn't been there long enough to take it off. He's finding it difficult to watch from the sidelines. All that is to say is that I have also got into a habit of tracking fires in Oregon.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Debbie and Kylia - LOVE those kitten photos. <3

Debbie - I think I understand how you feel when you cook and your DH doesn't eat it or eats junk food instead. It was that way at my house the final couple years of my DH's life. I think my DH was probably depressed too. Years of pain, he had to know at some level he had memory loss, losing muscle and shrinking. Probably meds that were having interactions also. I have a hunch our DH's aren't/weren't trying to be brats about not eating, it happened subconsciously do to their physical problems. I finally just didn't expect him to eat what I cooked - still cooked plenty in case he DID want some of it, but planned that I'd have leftovers for a few days, so made what I liked. I'm glad your son is there to help eat, it was always hard for me to throw away perfectly good food. Hence my freezer gets stocked.

Allie - are you in the ER because you were passing out? Hope they can find out what's wrong! Those waits are terrible these days.

Barbie - glad you survived the dentist. Hope you are done with them for a long, long time.

Rita - thank you for sharing more information from your program and the snack ideas. I like seeing what you're eating. :p Your food looks yummy!

I normally have chia pudding for dessert after dinner with a handful of berries. Recipe: 1/2 c milk, 1/4 c. Greek yogurt, 2 T chia seeds, 1 T protein powder if I have it. Blend all well and mix in 1/2 c berries and let sit in the fridge overnight, stir several times so the chia seeds don't settle to the bottom.

I decided to just delay eating that pudding for a couple hours and that should fill me up so I don't go to bed hungry. So far it seems to be working, just finished.

Does your program emphasize tracking/logging and if so, does it specifically have you tracking macros?

Pre Diabetes class today:
    We are now on week 2 of discussing tracking, talking more about MFP. :D I asked if we should be targeting certain macros, what our calorie goals should be, etc. Our leader is going to go over the info we submitted when we signed up (height, weight, etc.) and figure out our individual calorie and macro goals and email that info to each of us. :p So we'll get some personal touch. I'm real curious what she'll set protein at - she's already mentioned 30 to 45 gm of carbs per meal.

From what I can see, looking ahead, there are no "meal plans" or super strict rules about what we can or cannot eat or how many times a day we should eat, etc. There are the recommendations to go low fat, don't eat egg yolks, etc., but since I my lipids are great (and getting better by eating lower carb/full fat) I intend to continue down my own path with that.

It seems the philosophy is to train us to naturally implement the "plate" - 1/2 non starchy veggies, 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbs - carbs seem to be a broad catchall which includes fruit, dairy products, rice, potatoes, and even legumes. Although for me, dairy and legumes overlap into the protein section.

I think the idea is for us to develop a lower carb (sugar & starch) eating plan and increase activity in a sustainable way. Habits developed over 6 months are more likely to stay with us.

I sometimes have 1/2 c of broccoli with my eggs for breakfast, or add other left over veggies to scrambled eggs.

IF anyone is interested..... I may have posted this webpage before, but here goes again. It's the whole curriculum based on the CDC guidelines for diabetes prevention, and this my classes. In fact, some of the handouts are identical or at least pretty similar:

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes-prevention/php/lifestyle-change-resources/t2-curriculum.html

Our leader M goes over discussion points, answers questions, gives suggestions. The class started a month ago with 12 of us, we're now down to 8 (thought people might be sick or on vacation.)

It's been a long day. Sending hugs to everyone who needs them. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

@Lanette I didn’t pay for the classes they give. I’m supposed to have a ‘coach’ but have yet to see anything from him except the PDF’s with the info. I’m the type of person that does things on my own. I don’t like in person or video classes. I don’t get a whole lot out of them. I get more from reading. The first week we were to focus on getting enough water (64-80 oz. A day) and add exercise. This week we are supposed to focus on making our plate like you described 1/2 veggies 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbs. I have figured out how to connect MFP to Healthie and am using the macros I had already set for now. They too suggest no more than 45 grams carb per meal and 15 carbs per snack. I took a diabetes class about 25 years ago and the numbers and information haven’t changed much. Since I cannot do Keto any more due to kidneys, Nephrologist told me not more than 45 grams of protein a day, so have my macros set for that. My macros are currently set to 55 grams protein, 111 grams carbs, and 91 grams good fats. I need to adjust this to 45 grams protein 165 grams carbs (45X3 plus 30 snacks), the rest good fats. My tasks once I’m done this post. Your’s will most likely have more protein and less good fats. Let us know what they figure out for you!!

RVRita in Roswell
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Today is Don’t panic!! Go for a picnic!!

8v90kv0urt76.jpeg
    8ccbuu1sa9za.jpeg
    j6ro0slkagnr.jpeg

RVRita in Roswell
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,539 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kymarai wrote: »
    Crazy life....garage being built, one kitten not gaining weight, one kitten thriving well, work crazy, at home sleep study done, just crazy....

No I am by no means caught up...I pop in catch a couple of pages,then have someone that needs my attention. So HUGS, ENCOURAGMENT, HEALING THOUGHTS, CONGRATULATIONS, and HAPPY BIRTHDAYS!!!!!

At home sleep study was good but not good. I go to doctor on Tuesday to go over results. Apparently I have way too many hypopneas along with 19 apneas. Not sure what the next step is but will find out Tuesday.
    Took Cali to the vet yesterday. She got dewormed even though the poop tests won't be back until Monday. The concern is failure to thrive. Switch of food to bland diet. She ate really well yesterday in small amounts, yet today on the scale she lost 1/2 oz. That is alot when you only weigh 14 oz. I am worried. I did force feed her 1/2 a syringe of kmr this morning. Will repeat in a couple of hours. DH put together a kitten limbing tree for the girls yesterday. He even modified it so that it works better for the littles.
    Got new tire on my Miata as it had a puncture in the sidewall. Got stung by a bee at work- healed well. Got bit by Cali trying to dry her bottom. Broke skin so keeping close eye on that.
    Finally got the pile of papers cleared off the pool table and dealt with appropriately. Bills paid. Checks deposited. Laundry done. Sheets changed.
    Have to help DH move boxes from an attic today. Doing that this morning. Still behind on work paperwork.There are only so many hours in the day though.

So that is the long and short of my past week. I have had kitties on scale but not me. May have to do that in the morning.

I love you all and want you to know you are all important to me!

Much love,
    Kylia still hanging on in Ohio

I hope Cali will be OK.

And hand sanitiser is great for bites and scratches. :) It's been fantastic having it available everywhere since 2020.

Machka in Oz

Hand sanitizer is great if your a nail biter like I am. Every time I notice myself picking at my cubicles etc I put on sanitizer. First it stings then second I am not really biting my nails as most sanitizer don't taste good.😁
    Thanks for appreciating my comments. We all do what is familiar, we do what comes natural. Its only when we do something different do we see change happen.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,033 Member
    Options
    Dh was in a beyond pissy mood when I got home from class so didn't go online to check in.

Class was good- we had 14 in class. No class Wed. because of Juneteenth so some of us are going to go walking at the wetlands. One girl hasnt been there before. I had told her about it and she wanted to check it out. Next class will be Friday for our first Aqua Zumba.

Talked to my cousin last night- the Point Fire was about 2 miles from their house Sunday night but they were getting that edge under control so he felt they were ok. As of 2 hrs ago, they posted that it was 40% contained with 1207acres burned. One firefighter injured but no update on him yet.
    Praying they get it under control soon.

Woke up early, thought the clock said 7:30 so I thought I would just try and get back to sleep for an hour, it was actually 6:30. Dozed a few times but then got up, fed the cats, got water in the garden in the back and on the raspberries in the front. Time to switch them to the other spots.

Kittens have been fed and are now out of their playpen for a bit. I got them a new tall scratching post at Black Friday- $2 instead of $33. They are a bit small for it but I moved it by the recliner so they can get to the top of it.

Shopping for MIL when dh gets back- he had to take her dog to get his nails done at 9 so I didn't go over to walk him. May go walking when he goes back over this evening- either with the dog or by myself over here.

Have a wonderful day ladies.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,539 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka - I'm sure Edie would be thrilled to have a go, but she's still a bit young. :p My son's schedule is super packed, and they have just spent £250,000 doing up their own house! :o If we didn't go on cruises, we could afford to pay someone, but I just have got used to the awfulness and try not to let it bother me. :# John doesn't even see it, or remotely care, which is very frustrating, but if he goes first, I will be doing the place up pronto. Starting with the windows that leak and don't open. Ugh. I could easily sink £100,000 into this place and not see it.
    The one thing he has agreed about is my wanting to replace the disgusting original carpet in my upstairs bathroom. I can't imagine what possessed the last owners to put that in. :o He hates spending money on the house, so it would have to be cheap cushioned vinyl or similar. I'm forever battling carpet moths up there! As soon as I can get myself to a shop, I will ask him to foot that bill, as it comes under the category of health and safety, rather than aesthetics.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

That carpet in the bathroom would have come out before I agreed to spend a single night in the place! I do not like carpet in the bathroom or kitchen, and only just tolerate it elsewhere.

I don't mind spending money on a house ... after all, that's where we live and spend most of our time.

As you know, we rent our current house, but we've been here for 10 years, and we've done what we can to make the place comfortable, especially in the garden where we were free to do pretty much what we wanted. This current house, has been our "tree house" because it is fairly highly placed on a hill, and built tall, so that the windows in the main living area are eye-level with the tree tops around us. Our garden is an extension of the treehouse, full of plants and trees which just add to the other trees around. I loved being "locked down" here during COVID because it was like being surrounded by a park/forest ... surrounded by nature.

The new place will be our "beach house" because it is 17 metres above sea level and we are about 100 metres from the water. We're also surrounded by beaches. So I want to create a beach-inspired look with blues and tans/sands ... bringing the views outside inside.

yfhbkwrydau6.png

I guess, for me, it's sort of like nesting. I like having my pretty little nest ... hygge.

Machka in Oz

What calming beautiful color tones! I am so happy for you. My home is a combination of tans, grays, warm browns, with accents of red, blue and blacks. My hygge moments are when I come downstairs and our propane fireplace is crackling nicely. Its like "well good morning to you too".
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,427 Member
    Options
    Rita - thank you for continuing to share your program. That's great you can connect MFP and Healthie.

I was apprehensive about this "zoom" class but it's getting better, the fact that we can individually question and interact with the coach with the rest of the group there seems to be helping. My classmates seem really motivated so she's getting a LOT of questions, lol. And the group is good at interacting with each other, getting to know people's names. I am anxious to see what the coach comes up with for me as far as calories and macros. I'll definitely let you know. Hope I get the info today or tomorrow.

By my reckoning, due to my age, height, desired weight and activity level, I burn about 2100 calories per day, so to lose half a pound a week, I'd cut back to 1800-1900 calories per day. Very curious to see if she comes up with similar.

Some of the folks in my class are targeting losing 1 to 2 lbs per week, and they have it to lose. Since out of the shower I'm already within the "normal" BMI, I'm not anxious to lose much more weight. Although it might take that to get my A1C back down.

Kylia - what great news about Cali! So glad you took her to the new vet and got her on antibiotics.
    She's such a cutie. You are a great cat mom. <3

Debbie- glad your cousin seems to be safe from the fire. Good score on that scratching post. Things like that are so expensive these days unless a person finds a real bargain - you are so good at that. ;)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Kim – we do get snow here. But very religious snow, you know “God put it here, God will take it away”. It’s usually gone in a few hours. We only keep the solar cover on our pool during the winter. It does get cold, sometimes below freezing (not a lot). Thanks for telling me to go to a nursery

Debbie – prayers for your family

Vince was experiencing some vertigo yesterday. He says he’s fine today but he didn’t go bowling. He originally was thinking that perhaps his cat allergy was acting up since they are in just one room, but now he thinks more on the lines of an ear infection. Well, he’s doing better. He made a “door” for their room that’s 4’ off the floor but at least we can keep the door to the room open. We’ll probably close it at night. And there’s no way the cats can jump it, heck, I can’t even reach far enough to unlock it.

Michele NC

depending on what the "door" is made of, they will climb it and get out soon. It is amazing what these 4 are getting into

• dlfk202000
    Options
    [quote=

All you can do is you. You know we are all in the drivers seat of our own lives. He chooses this kind of life, like you choose to make food for him and settle for how he treats you. If it was me, I would have bags packed up to live with your dear mother. You know that's your happy place. We just care about you. You deserve more.💖🤗
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

As soon as mom kicks the room mate out, I will be up there more.
    I agree, we all make chooses. Some days things are easier to deal with than others.
    I am still working part time and still going to class three nights a week so that helps.

Tracey- I wish he would go get some help. He desperately needs it- I can't force him to go. He needs both physical help and mental help

Lynette- I know he is very depressed and stressed out- he needs to take care of himself

We have started checking for in home care- she has finally agreed to that. That will help, if it works out.

Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Nice chat with G today. She had a weekend in Brussels, but felt too tired today to go to tabletennis.

I was able to do a little dance today, kicking my leg about a bit. John was impressed! :D

I rang the place I am going to for the DEXA scan on Friday, to ask about parking. I also told them about the hip.They said they can still do spine and forearm. They did ring me back to say that they don't usually do them within 4 weeks of a replacement, because of the difficulty of getting on the table, but I don't think that is a problem. I can swing my leg over ok.
    If I didn't have a driver the clinic would be very difficult to get to. Very inconvenient. Luckily, John can drive me.

Allie - what did they say at the ER ?

Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, back from our vacation. It was nice to be away and just relax. The group we were with were a lot of fun. Then come back to a mess. 2 of my staff our is having surgery this next Monday, the one lady is leaving July 6th, I ask her if she could give me 2 two to help cover and she said no. The new lady starts this next Monday, but will have to train for several weeks. So that leaves 3 of us covering 24/7. I am just telling myself to breath and take it one day at a time.
    My weight is up almost 7 pounds, but it's mostly fluid. Been taking my meds and still swelled up, feet look like little footballs. See what happens this week with taking 3 lasic a day instead of 2.
    Rita--Sorry about the choices going on with your fur baby. It is never an easy choice.
    Heather--Sounds like you are doing great with your new hip. Hope Johnny is feeling better.
    Beth--Sounds like you are doing well with your hearing. Sorry about your mom, hope it works out for the best for everyone.
    Pip--Sorry about the squirrel. You did all you could.
    Tracey--Happy B-lated Anniversary. We will be married 40 years Nov 3. Not always easy but we are doing better and working together.. Good Luck with the job hunting.
    Rosemarie-Hope you are feeling better. Glad you had a good visit with your son.
    Rebecca--Happy B-lated birthday
    Allie--Sorry to hear about baby A. Said a prayer for all of you.
    Kelly--8 babies at one time. They are sure lucky to have you. Sorry about your friend, but I have found mixing business with family and friends does not end well.
    Carol--Sorry to hear about your DGD broken leg. Sounds like she is very active.
    Sue--I would make a report everytime the crazy lady comes around you. Never know when you may need the record down the road to protect yourself
    Barbie--Happy the dentist went well and it is over.
    I am caught up and time to get ready to go home.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3