Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

How About We Don't Delete Newsfeeds

Replies

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,302 MFP Staff
    They appear to have merged all the threads within the tech support questions section, as well.

@KareninCanada
    I wish they would have tagged them as merged for transparency.

All threads have been merged in tech support and then in ideas so we can keep track of the feedback easier.
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,863 Member
    So sad that we have lost the ability to interact with on here. I have almost a 4000 streak. I feel interacting with others has been key to being able to stick with it!! MFP NEEDS TO BRING BACK THE NEWS FEED!! Sadly if it doesn't return i too will probably be leaving 😕
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,353 Member
    Nova wrote: »

All threads have been merged in tech support and then in ideas so we can keep track of the feedback easier.

If MFP wants to keep track of feedback, they need to send an email to all registered users. Not put a post up in the announcement section of the forum and call it good. Many people had no idea this change was coming and were completely blindsided. Those who never used the forums at all are still just figuring it out now or assuming something is broken.
    Nova wrote: »
    They appear to have merged all the threads within the tech support questions section, as well.

@KareninCanada
    I wish they would have tagged them as merged for transparency.

@KareninCanada - I agree with your sentiment.

@Nova - if MFP is merging threads to keep track of feedback… I’m interested in what they will do with it. I’ve been a part of MFP for over a decade.. I’ve never seen this much feedback about a portion of the platform. It will be interesting to see what is done with all this feedback.
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 263 Member
    Well, not much reason to keep an account here anymore.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 146 Member
    Betty wrote: »
    Hi y’all, 

Wanted to first acknowledge that saying good bye to any feature is hard, and I too am sad to see the Newsfeed ride off into the sunset. I do feel strongly that social interaction is important for a lot of folks on what can often be a lonely and difficult journey and having friends cheering you on can make a difference. 

I’ll be transparent that the Newsfeed was one of our oldest features that had many flaws and was no longer sustainable to support. While it was not used by many we understand that it’s a real loss for those who used it.
    While it is not perfect, due to some limitations like no friend or follow features in the Community, our team enabled the Community Activity Feed on profiles within the community as it was an existing feature available from our forum providers. Some of you may even remember seeing it briefly back in 2021 when we updated the Community.
    The community profiles only have two options Public or Private, and the Private option makes the Activity Feed unviewable by others. The next best alternative to utilizing the Activity Feed would be to create a Private Group to invite your friends to and interact with them there.
    I know these options don’t “replace” the Newsfeed by any means, but we hope they help give some members some options to interact with others outside of topic driven discussions.

This is a load of BS.

The Newsfeed was the 2nd most important part of this app behind the food diary.

Underarmor has screwed this App over the years since buying it out.

How about selling it to another company that actually cares and doesn't continue to jam more and more features behind a ridiculous $80/year pay wall

We're not idiots, stop treating us like we are
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,943 Member
    edited July 12
    Hi y’all, 

Wanted to first acknowledge that saying good bye to any feature is hard, and I too am sad to see the Newsfeed ride off into the sunset. I do feel strongly that social interaction is important for a lot of folks on what can often be a lonely and difficult journey and having friends cheering you on can make a difference. 

I’ll be transparent that the Newsfeed was one of our oldest features that had many flaws and was no longer sustainable to support. While it was not used by many we understand that it’s a real loss for those who used it.
    While it is not perfect, due to some limitations like no friend or follow features in the Community, our team enabled the Community Activity Feed on profiles within the community as it was an existing feature available from our forum providers. Some of you may even remember seeing it briefly back in 2021 when we updated the Community.
    The community profiles only have two options Public or Private, and the Private option makes the Activity Feed unviewable by others. The next best alternative to utilizing the Activity Feed would be to create a Private Group to invite your friends to and interact with them there.
    I know these options don’t “replace” the Newsfeed by any means, but we hope they help give some members some options to interact with others outside of topic driven discussions.

This is a load of BS.

How about selling it to another company that actually cares and doesn't continue to jam more and more features behind a ridiculous $80/year pay wall

Underarmour sold MFP to Francisco Partners in 2020, at a loss. Getting rid of the newsfeed has happened on Francisco Partners' watch.

I agree that this was a terrible decision for the user base. Negative feedback is appropriate, but I don't think it's great to criticize worker-bee MFP staff for decisions they didn't make, decisions which probably made their work life worse, too.
  • jebr76
    jebr76 Posts: 30 Member
    Just piling on to add my voice to the record - this was a truly terrible and ill conceived idea. Community is often the basis that drives people to succeed, and celebrating little wins and victories can enable people to do so much more. They've gotten rid of an incredibly positive community, and it's very frustrating.
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,868 Member
    Not much left here Brian @1ns1d3_0u7
  • KimberlinaB
    KimberlinaB Posts: 4,018 Member
    The newsfeed is what kept us coming back to check in with our friends. I've logged in maybe 3 times since this change has been made. Not tracking due to pregnancy, but when I return to tracking will likely seek out a different platform since you got rid of the only thing that really set you apart. Dumb decision.
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,868 Member
    Probably 1000's by now have moved to Lose it @KimberlinaB
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,660 Member
    A chunk have gone to MyNetDiary too.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,965 Member
    A chunk have gone to MyNetDiary too.

Join me there! I’m Maarva Andor!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,965 Member
    It's a bummer. I don't usually lose sleep when apps change, as they all do. But removing a social feature -- really the only app with one -- seems like a bone-headed move. I, my daughter (researching other apps now), sister and niece will all move on now; it's reduced to just being a tracker, and a fairly pricey one at that.

We really used the friend feed for motivation and accountability. Various streaks used to matter, now they don't.

Oh well. A bummer.

My Net Diary has a social feed. And groups.
    There’s a bunch of us over there.

In my opinion the tracking ability is superior too.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 853 Member
    This is awful.
  • mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,661 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hi y’all, 

This is a load of BS.

Underarmour sold MFP to Francisco Partners in 2020, at a loss. Getting rid of the newsfeed has happened on Francisco Partners' watch.

I agree that this was a terrible decision for the user base. Negative feedback is appropriate, but I don't think it's great to criticize worker-bee MFP staff for decisions they didn't make, decisions which probably made their work life worse, too.

Are we entirely sure Francisco Partners isn't a Google subsidiary ;-). It feels like the way they just ditched the Newsfeed is pretty similar to the way Google has been destroying Fitbit, without regard for user wishes. Fitbit is a monochrome weird place now ...
  • daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Yes - a bunch of us have become part of a group in MyNetDiary @TravelingGuru - so do join us and bring your family!!

MyNetDiary is GREAT!! And the food scanner is a part of the free membership. And NO obnoxious ads!!
  • gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,491 Member
    mkksemail wrote: »
    Hi y’all, 

This is a load of BS.

Are we entirely sure Francisco Partners isn't a Google subsidiary ;-). It feels like the way they just ditched the Newsfeed is pretty similar to the way Google has been destroying Fitbit, without regard for user wishes. Fitbit is a monochrome weird place now ...

That was awful when they got rid of the challenges on Fitbit. I dumped my Fitbit when it died finally, and switched to a different tracker. Think it over tracked anyways.
  • mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,661 Member
    gemwolf110 wrote: »
    mkksemail wrote: »
    Hi y’all, 

This is a load of BS.

That was awful when they got rid of the challenges on Fitbit. I dumped my Fitbit when it died finally, and switched to a different tracker. Think it over tracked anyways.

Couldn't agree more!
    My Sense is still going, and I also have a backup Charge that I got the summer before the dumped the challenges. Not getting a Fitbit next go, tho.
  • jeffhendershot
    jeffhendershot Posts: 8 Member
    This is the first time I found the new “newsfeed”! I’ve been a premium member for over 10 years who will be moving to lose it unless they change it back!