50+ Women for the Month of March

Options

Replies

• sailgal
    sailgal Posts: 22
    Options
    HI all-

Swiss Miss - that 3 pounds sounds like water weight from the surgery and the after effects of the surgery. I'm thinking it will disappear quickly once you start being more active if you keep drinking water and watch your sodium intake.

Becky - we all feel your pain. I wish I had appreciated my ability to lose quickly when I was in my 30s and I still had a metabolism that burned the calories efficiently. Now it's a whole different story. Keep up what you are doing and the scale will move again. There's a great article on the MFP site on metabolism that has great suggestions for getting your metabolism to work more efficiently. The link is back a couple of pages on this thread.

My weight is bouncing around. I'm working hard at the gym 3-4 times a week and really watching my portion control. The idea of a Heart Rate Monitor is so appealing. I think it would help me see if I'm working as hard as I think I am. I went on the Polar site and it sounds like the F6 doesn't require a chest strap. Is that correct? Are the monitors without chest straps as accurate as the monitors with the strap? I really don't like the idea of the chest strap and would be much happier without one.

I so appreciative of all the support from the group.

Cindy
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Cindy

Yes, the Polar F6 has a chest strap. But, you don't even know you have it on, believe me. I thought the same thing. I think with chest strap is more accurate.

I just did level 1 on the biggest loser bootcamp 20 min with warm-up 5 min and and stretches 5 min then I did 50 sit-ups holding a 5lb. weight, then I walked. My heart rate monitor logged I burned 315 calories and in 56 minutes. I hope that helps. I know I would have over estimated my calories if I did not have the monitor.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Kathy
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    hey - i have a question. When i go to the gym I do about 30 minutes on the machines. One day i do upper bod, the next i do lower. When i look on the mfp lists it has either weight training or circuit training. I don't know which to use and i don't want to list all the machines, reps, etc. separately. There's a big difference in the calories burned for weight and circuit. Does anyone have any idea which i should be using?????? I've been using the weight training because it uses less calories but i don't know if i'm "cheating" myself! Thanks! i appreciate any thoughts!:huh: elli
  • Ladyleo
    Ladyleo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello Weight Losers,

I had a really hard time waking up today, I took Tylonal PM before bed last night. Feeling very groggy.:yawn: I decided to go for a little walk at the lake. Ended up hiking and climbing the side of the dam. Feel really good, still tired.

I lost the 2 lbs I gained over the weekend at my friends.:smooched:

I am a believer in mixing up your calorie intake. If you are on a restricted calorie intake for long periods your body gets used to it and stops losing. Some days I eat 1200 calories, others 1500, occasionally I'll have 2000 - 2500.

I don't like the gym, so I stay active and don't sit much during the day. Drink lots of water.: drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • plantlady99
    Options
    hey - i have a question. When i go to the gym I do about 30 minutes on the machines. One day i do upper bod, the next i do lower. When i look on the mfp lists it has either weight training or circuit training. I don't know which to use and i don't want to list all the machines, reps, etc. separately. There's a big difference in the calories burned for weight and circuit. Does anyone have any idea which i should be using?????? I've been using the weight training because it uses less calories but i don't know if i'm "cheating" myself! Thanks! i appreciate any thoughts!:huh: elli

:flowerforyou: elli don't know if I am going to be any help. I use to match up my calorie count to what my machines indicated.

I never put in my weight training calories because I never knew how much I burned.

Now that I have the heart rate monitor I have an easier time calculating calories burned I will put both weight training and cardio together. When I log it in my calories burned I have to adjust my time on the cardio to match my calories burned on my heart rate monitor. The heart rate monitor is lower then the calculations on the MFP site.

That is a good question that maybe you could start on the community board. Someone will give you an answer, probably better then mine.

:flowerforyou: Kathy
  • sailgal
    sailgal Posts: 22
    Options
    I have always thought that if I wasn't breathing hard or sweating profusely then I probably wasn't burning calories very quickly so I have never tried to count the calories burned on the circuit or with weight training. Maybe there are people who are able to push themselves hard enough to be short of breath when working with weights but I'm not strong enough to do that. Circuit or weight training is great because it builds muscle which will help burn calories faster when you are at rest. Obviously, you are burning more calories during weight training or doing circuit than you would be if you were sitting at home but there are just so many variables - how much weight, how many reps, how many sets, etc. Great suggestion from Kathy to check on the other parts of the board. Since there is a place to put the calories on the fitness page then there must be a better way of knowing how many have been used.

I would love to find out that I am burning lots of calories everytime I do weight training!

Cindy
  • lorelai63
    lorelai63 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have not been here for a few weeks because my computer is moving so slow I cant stand it. Anyway I lost another two pounds this week for a total fof 12. So 4 more pounds and I will be in a new decade. I have not weighed below 200 in a very long time. 4 more will get me to 199! yehaaaaaaaaaa
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,952 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Where did my day go??????? The pets are fed and it's almost time to feed me.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I threw away a pair of size 16 pants today:bigsmile: wore a pair of size 14 to line dance and went shopping in the afternoon and bought a pair of size 10 with a stretch waist at a retail store and a pair of size 12 and two smaller shirts at the thrift shop.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Kathy, I love the cartoon about the scale. thanks for sharing it.:bigsmile: Thanks for the info about the heart monitor. I'll be thinking about it. I don't want to rush into anything even if it sounds great.

I just figured out that the bottles of water that you buy at the store have 16 ounces so if I'm counting 8 ounce glasses of water I'm really drinking more than I realized.:drinker: :drinker:

Lorelai:flowerforyou: I'm pulling for you to reach the next decade down. I'm almost down to a weight I haven't been to in many many years and I'm very excited.:bigsmile:

Cindy:flowerforyou: I didn't realize how hard I was breathing doing line dance or on the stationary bike until I tried talking at the same time. I thought I could ride the exercise bike and talk on the phone and there was too much heavy breathing on my part for me to enjoy the conversation. :laugh: I think there are some other websites with information about how many calories you burn doing different types of exercise. My husband found information about golf and tai chi.

I changed my breakfast to an egg and two slices of Sara Lee whole grain toast with I can't believe it's not butter spray---70 cals for the Eggland's best egg, 90 cals for the two slices of toast and no cals in the butter spray....I was amazed that it sustained me through my 20 minute walk at the dog park and two hours of line dance.

My goals:
    water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    throw out some more baggy clothes:bigsmile:
    find the exercise video I have stashed somewhere

Enjoy the rest of your day.:bigsmile:
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, I have a question- Is it to late to join the 50+ group? I sure would like to be apart of your group. I just joinedMFP last month and have already lost 11 lbs and working hard to continue losing.
    I think this could be fun to join your group.
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Okay lets see if I weigh 169 today and there is only 2 weeks left this month I am going to say I want to lose at least 3 lbs:glasses:
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, I have a question- Is it to late to join the 50+ group? I sure would like to be apart of your group. I just joinedMFP last month and have already lost 11 lbs and working hard to continue losing.
    I think this could be fun to join your group.

Welcome to the site:flowerforyou: and it is never to late to join our group. Congratulations on dropping 11 lbs:bigsmile: I know that when I first started my new lifestyle changes that everything fell into place and I have not looked back:happy:

Keep up the great work:drinker:
  • BarbG
    BarbG Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ladies,
    I enjoy reading your posts, I find them to be very motivating and at times extremely heartwarming.:flowerforyou:

This weight loss thing has been a life time struggle, sometimes I win and sometimes I lose, but I still keep trying. Hopefully with MFP and it's member support I will win this time. I find if I exercise and keep track of my food and exercise I am most successful.

Barb
  • becky47
    becky47 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouragement. I will just keep plugging away and keep getting healthier. I sure do feel better.

I wish I would have taken my measurements when I started:ohwell: I do feel my pants becoming a little looser.
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Ladies,
    I enjoy reading your posts, I find them to be very motivating and at times extremely heartwarming.:flowerforyou:

This weight loss thing has been a life time struggle, sometimes I win and sometimes I lose, but I still keep trying. Hopefully with MFP and it's member support I will win this time. I find if I exercise and keep track of my food and exercise I am most successful.

Barb

Welcome Barb:flowerforyou:

Yes, indeed life and all of its involvement can be both beautiful and a struggle. Sometimes we gain some ground and sometimes we lose some ground. From my prospective I can attest to the fact that once I made the decision to regain control of my life, weight and health issues I knew exactly what I needed to do and my focus became clearer and clearer. I feel that it was not luck that brought me to this place in my life but where I needed to be at this time in my life. Having the right frame of mind has been what has kept me motivated and seeing a more positive me emerging and blossoming:happy: We are so worth it:heart: and when we give our best to ourselves it resonates to all around us:blushing:

Best of luck to you on your journey:bigsmile:
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Hi all, I know this had nothing to do with weight loss but, my beagle's snout is swollen. I have never seen it before. I made a late call to the vet and he told me to give him benadryl right away, then again at 3am. It might be an allergic reaction to bug bite or something he ate.

m_6064cd7107fd49dd980494b56067babd.jpg

can you see the puffiness around his nose. Has anyone gone through this before. Talk about wanting to put some food in my mouth. I'm not but I sure do feel like it.

Kathy
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    oh Kathy - poor little pooch! It does kind of look like an allergic reaction! IS the benedryl helping?

Thanks everyone for your input on the weight training vs. circuit. I'm glad i'm counting it as weight 'cause it's way fewer calories than circuit. I DO sweat tho and get out of breath sometimes. On tuesday i did abs in between all the leg machines and my abs are SORE today, I love that!

Barbiecat! I'm SO proud of you that you got rid of those size 16s!!!!! AND bought new SMALLER pants and tops. AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Becky47 - right ON! Your pants are feeling looser! SEE??? It IS working. You go girl. Just keep on keepin on!

Welcome to Barb and Redneck. I've only been here a few days myself - still getting to know everyone. Great bunch here tho!

Well - i did hot yoga tonight,i'm kind of beat now! So, good night everyone. Talk to you all tomorrow! elli
  • plantlady99
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Morning All,

Well, my Bosco is still swollen. I'm taking him to the vet this morning. i

I wish I lost weight from worrying. I would be thin.

Hope all is well with everyone. Sounds like we are getting a great support group. That is great!!!!

:flowerforyou: Kathy
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Looks like most of you have been making great progress while I was sunning. I'm back from a WONDERFUL week in Cancun with my best friend where we were treated like royalty every minute of every day. :happy: (Photos of where we stayed on my profile) I am happy to report that although there was unlimited food everywhere, I never once ate past the full point. Quite an accomplishment for a chocoholic with desserts that look like works of art and taste like a piece of heaven.... Not only were we pampered to the max, but there were so many fun activities that made exercise fun.... salsa dancing lessons, water aerobics, swimming. (Although we did our share of sunning) We walked the beach every morning and went snorkeling, or sailing, or something every afternoon ~ plus walking all over the resort multiple times a day. This has not only given me lots of happy memories, but really jump started me to a higher energy level.

Guess I've finally started converting all this flab to muscle because I now weigh a pound more but measure less.... 4" less to be exact, with 1 1/2" of that being from my belly. :smile:

Nothing like a week at the beach to expose all your body's flaws though. :blushing: I have to admit it bothered me that my size ten friend got LOTS of second looks while I got none. Vain or not, this vacation has given me the motivation and momentum needed to work hard reach my goal weight of 145 asap. :flowerforyou: Now if I can just get used to putting my own napkin in my lap and making my own bed again.....

152798.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Another set back, Ladies. My bladder is now working but will not stop. :sad: I also (and this is a biggie) am bloated. I look like I am pregnant. Here I am trying to get into shape and I look like this. Doctor is to call me soon and let me know if this is normal.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hang in there Becky. At least you're in touch w/your doctor. Better safe than sorry.
    Welcome to Barb and redneckwoman! :flowerforyou:
    Welcome back to lorelei and suzeeque. Excuse my spelling/typing errors - couldn't cut and paste all the names.
    Barbie - Congrats on your weight loss and throwing our your size 16 pants!!!:drinker: Good for you!!!
    I finally went to my exercise class this morning. I skipped the past couple days - was just dragging, no energy. Today was better.
    Have a great day all and a wonderful week-end. I'm heading into NYC and have a lot do so bye for now.
    Zaza