Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I thought I'd share this with the group. I haven't made it through the entire thing yet, but I thought it was kind of interesting. Enjoy:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

Good read. I was expecting Berardi to be bashing on the IF as he was one of the guys promoting eating every 3 hrs in the past.

i LOVED this! Thankyou!
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    How did everyone do today and what did you eat? How long is your 'overeating phase'?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    How did everyone do today and what did you eat? How long is your 'overeating phase'?
    just started for me as it's 2pm.
    white/choc pb proats
    snack: jerky & carrots
    dinner: chilli choc steak & veggies
    after: pumpkin ice cream.

:smile:
  • skinnyfat14
    skinnyfat14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I did good yesterday I think. I fasted for close to 20 hours and ate from 5:30-10:30. Well really I had a big dinner and then it was just a few snacks when it closer to 10:30. Today I'm gonna do 16 hours and break my fast at 2:30. How did everyone else do?
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    white/choc pb proats

Pumpkin ice cream ohhhhhh yum! Have you tried Dairy Queens pumpkin blizzard? :heart: :love: I also plan to go as close to the 16/8 fast as I can in the morning. The thing is I get up early to workout (not today as kids are home from school) but usually at 5 am and "they" say to eat right after working out then shorten the meals in the hours furthest from workingout. How are you doing this?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Early morning fasted training

Here's a sample setup for a client that trains early in the morning and prefers the feeding phase at noon or later. Read this for details regarding this protocol.

6 AM: 5-15 minutes pre-workout: 10 g BCAA.
    6-7 AM: Training.
    8 AM: 10 g BCAA.
    10 AM: 10 g BCAA
    12-1 PM: The "real" post-workout meal (largest meal of the day). Start of the 8 hour feeding-window.
    8-9 PM: Last meal before the fast.

For the sake of conveniency, I recommend getting BCAA in the form of powder and not tabs. Simply mix 30 g of BCAA powder in a shake and drink one third of it every other hour starting 5-15 minutes pre-workout. Tabs are cheaper, but much more of a hassle (you're going to have to pop a lot of tabs). Check my supplements guide for specific brand recommendations.

from http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

If you don't have bcaa's then I would just fast as normal but if you plan on early morning workouts reguarly then bcaa's are definitely the go. Bcaa's are also found in whey protein but by having this it is breaking the fast so it's up to you. 10g of bcaa's is 40cals all protein.

Nope, never tried any other pumpkin ice cream. It's not that popular as a dessert in Australia for some reason but I am loving it. Everyone looks at me weirdly when I said I made a choc/pumpkin cheesecake for example :tongue:
  • skinnyfat14
    Options

Here's a sample setup for a client that trains early in the morning and prefers the feeding phase at noon or later. Read this for details regarding this protocol.

12-1 PM: The "real" post-workout meal (largest meal of the day). Start of the 8 hour feeding-window.

For the sake of conveniency, I recommend getting BCAA in the form of powder and not tabs. Simply mix 30 g of BCAA powder in a shake and drink one third of it every other hour starting 5-15 minutes pre-workout. Tabs are cheaper, but much more of a hassle (you're going to have to pop a lot of tabs). Check my supplements guide for specific brand recommendations.

If you don't have bcaa's then I would just fast as normal but if you plan on early morning workouts reguarly then bcaa's are definitely the go. Bcaa's are also found in whey protein but by having this it is breaking the fast so it's up to you. 10g of bcaa's is 40cals all protein.

Nope, never tried any other pumpkin ice cream. It's not that popular as a dessert in Australia for some reason but I am loving it. Everyone looks at me weirdly when I said I made a choc/pumpkin cheesecake for example :tongue:

That's great!! thanks for sharing that. I'm not exactly sure what BCAA is??? can you explain? where would I find it and what does it do?

Thank you
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

Thankyou!!! Yes I will always be working out in the am, with kids its the best option. Going to get some BCAAs. I do usually have whey protein but I will try to find the BCAAs.

So I stopped eating at 6:00 pm last night but then had a small snack at 9:30 (so apaprently didn't stop...lol). I just worked out for 83 minutes (HRM) and burned 556 cals (huge for me)!!! So its 10:10 right now. So I should wait awhile to have anything post workout since I don't have any BCAAs right now other than whey protein powder?
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm starting 16/8 from leangains today.

Question, I take a 13 calorie fish oil capsule every morning, that's probably OK, right? But what if I want a few tablespoons of soy in my coffee or tea? Is that too many calories during a fast time period?
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I completed my first 24 hours of fasting this morning. I broke it with a 2 egg omelet with a little cheese, fresh salsa and jalapenos. During my fast I was able to do a good amount of exercise paying careful attention to see if I felt faint or dizzy. I didn't push myself as hard as I do during a non-fasting day but felt great about keeping moving.

I didn't really struggle not to eat; I generally eat pretty healthy and have read on numerous sites that the cleaner you eat daily the easier the fast is, I am not able to determine this for sure or not at this point.

It seems most of the people within the Fasting message boards are concentrating on toning at this point and have already lost their mass of weight. Anyone lost a good deal using the IF plan?
  • skinnyfat14
    Options
    It seems most of the people within the Fasting message boards are concentrating on toning at this point and have already lost their mass of weight. Anyone lost a good deal using the IF plan?

I'd like to know that too.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

I'll let you know in a few weeks! I am doing this for discipline and to try and change my eating habits and to LOSE FAT. I find it much easier to say

"I am forbidden to eat the 16 hours between 8 pm and 12 pm"

than to say

"I am forbidden to eat ice cream and pie".
  • skinnyfat14
    Options

I'll let you know in a few weeks! I am doing this for discipline and to try and change my eating habits and to LOSE FAT. I find it much easier to say

"I am forbidden to eat the 16 hours between 8 pm and 12 pm"

than to say

"I am forbidden to eat ice cream and pie".

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!
  • Odrinka
    Odrinka Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm starting 16/8 from leangains today.

Question, I take a 13 calorie fish oil capsule every morning, that's probably OK, right? But what if I want a few tablespoons of soy in my coffee or tea? Is that too many calories during a fast time period?

Martin says that as long as those calories are minimal, under 50 total, then it wouldn't be considered as breaking the fast. Just make sure that these remain very minimal.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I had been on a platue with wieghtloss when I started IF in late June. At that point I had lost about 19 pounds, but had been stuck for the better part of 2 months. Since June 20th when I started IF I have lost 31 pounds, and I hardly lost anything during August as I spent much of the month on vacation not eating clean as much, working out as much, or religiously doing IF.

During this time I've also trended towards a Paleo type diet, as I've been eating a lot more veggies and more fat. I've also been working out less that last 6 weeks, and I've been losing very well (14 pounds in 6 weeks). It's a bit hard to determine which of the changes I'm made have had what effect, but the overall outcome has been quite good. I can say that the convenience of the 16/8 approach has allowed me to consistantly stay under my calorie goal while not feeling hungry, which may well be the biggest benefit of the leangains approach.
  • skinnyfat14
    Options
    I made it 14 hours today!! and broke my fast with some not so healthy food!! I was in a bad mood cause I spilt hazelnut coffee all over myself and my work. So I broke my fast at 14 hours with a junior chicken and half of a small fries at McDonalds :embarassed:
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    white/choc pb proats

Pumpkin ice cream ohhhhhh yum! Have you tried Dairy Queens pumpkin blizzard? :heart: :love: I also plan to go as close to the 16/8 fast as I can in the morning. The thing is I get up early to workout (not today as kids are home from school) but usually at 5 am and "they" say to eat right after working out then shorten the meals in the hours furthest from workingout. How are you doing this?

There's been a furvor lately behind the idea that not eating after excercise is actually a perfered method. There's a couple of "experts" out there that promote the idea that you should get some protien (or BCAA's) post workout, and then not eat for at least a few hours. The idea being that your metabolism is in high gear after excercise, so by not eating you're letting it burn through fat. The leangains model where you train fasted, and don't break the fast for hours after, may end up being a method that is preferable. I don't think there's any study's to back that concept up yet, but we'll see.
  • pork_belly
    Options
    Question for those of you who have been do IF daily. When you are sick do you continue to do IF or put it aside until you are back up to par? I've got a little bit of a cold and running a low grade fever and a few aches and pains. Eating seems to help me feel better and make it thru the day.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I made it 14 hours today!! and broke my fast with some not so healthy food!! I was in a bad mood cause I spilt hazelnut coffee all over myself and my work. So I broke my fast at 14 hours with a junior chicken and half of a small fries at McDonalds :embarassed:

Out of the whole day that won't matter so much. :) Just eat healthy the rest of the day and stay within your goal. I forgot to reply to you saying that BCAA's are Branched Chain Amino Acids. I could only do 14 hours as well. It would have been like 16 if I hadn't snacked right before bed...lol. See we alllll do it!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    white/choc pb proats

There's been a furvor lately behind the idea that not eating after excercise is actually a perfered method. There's a couple of "experts" out there that promote the idea that you should get some protien (or BCAA's) post workout, and then not eat for at least a few hours. The idea being that your metabolism is in high gear after excercise, so by not eating you're letting it burn through fat. The leangains model where you train fasted, and don't break the fast for hours after, may end up being a method that is preferable. I don't think there's any study's to back that concept up yet, but we'll see.

Thankyou! That's what I have always thought even before hearing anything about IF. I always wondered why everyone said eat eat eat other than your body will burn the postworkout cals right away instead of storing them as fat.