Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle on a calorie deficit.. Really? I've been eating at a calorie deficit for most of this year and I can sure as sh** lift heavier weights.. I've also lost 18 pounds.

you are correlating strength to increased muscle gain, which may not be the case.

and yes you can build muscle in a caloric deficit if you are;
    new to lifting
    coming off an extended layoff and getting back into lifting
    obese
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle on a calorie deficit.. Really? I've been eating at a calorie deficit for most of this year and I can sure as sh** lift heavier weights.. I've also lost 18 pounds.

Thank you! I got ridiculed for saying the same thing, and I explained the biochemistry that makes it possible, and I even have doctor's tests to prove it. The arguer just said "I call BS; it's not possible," rather than citing any scientific data or a rational argument.

My doc has a device that accurately measures your percentages of body fat vs. water vs. muscle etc. He tests me every time I come in. In the past 7 months, I have consistently lost 6-7 lb of fat & water weight per month, and gained 1 lb of muscle per month. So you're absolutely right, and yes, I have proof that you CAN build muscle while losing weight on a calorie deficit.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    you cannot grow any eating at a calorie deficit!

This depends entirely on how much body fat you have, the closer you are to a healthy weight the more true that statement becomes. I've been on calorie deficit for quite some time and have grown a lot of muscle, as time goes on and I grow leaner I suspect it will get more dificult to grow muscle, but for now it's still working.
  • ohthelawd
    ohthelawd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    >What happens when you stope eating "Sensible"

I'm not sure, is "stope" a verb?
  • MotherOfTwins2010
    MotherOfTwins2010 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Anything about dieting is stupid. You should be changing your eating habits/lifestyle or else you'll gain it all back when you're done dieting. I think diets are stupid period.
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    "I am not going to pass on an apple and sit down to a plate full of bacon."

Yea, that is what a low carb. diet is all about. Maybe you need more carbs. For that brain you were talking about.

My brains are confused... where did I say all people doing low carb eat plates of bacon and pass on apples? Your low carb diet may not be all about that. I would hope that most weren't. But there are some that do... they do pass on the fruits and the veggies and eat the plateful of steak and bacon.

Is a foot considered low carb? lmao
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    The number one all time stupid myth: YOU NEED CARBS FOR ENERGY.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Anything about dieting is stupid. You should be changing your eating habits/lifestyle or else you'll gain it all back when you're done dieting. I think diets are stupid period.

Really the only stupid thing we talk about around here are periods...just saying
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    1. You must eat 6 meals per day or you will never lose a pound.
    2. Diet pills, injections, drops, cleanses, shakes, etc. It's all part of one big potentially dangerous scam.
    3. Lifting heavy will make you bulky (hear this from women a lot).
    4. Muscle weighs more than fat
    5. I gained 3 lbs of muscle this week.
    6. Eating carbs will make you fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Thank you! I got ridiculed for saying the same thing, and I explained the biochemistry that makes it possible, and I even have doctor's tests to prove it. The arguer just said "I call BS; it's not possible," rather than citing any scientific data or a rational argument.

My doc has a device that accurately measures your percentages of body fat vs. water vs. muscle etc. He tests me every time I come in. In the past 7 months, I have consistently lost 6-7 lb of fat & water weight per month, and gained 1 lb of muscle per month. So you're absolutely right, and yes, I have proof that you CAN build muscle while losing weight on a calorie deficit.

you get a DEXA scan every time you go to the docs?
  • AdAstra47
    Options
    >Just to explain, it's about weight of the same volume:
    >Basically, 1 cubic metre of lead will weight more than 1 cubic metre of wood (won't you agree?).
    >Well, same with muscles and fat.

Yeah, by weight. Lol...

Yes, thank you. I love how so many people on here don't even understand the basic middle school math concepts of volume, weight & mass.
  • ohthelawd
    ohthelawd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    >It isn't wrong, it's just that people assume you are smart enough to know that of course we are talking about BY VOLUME. It's >freaking obvious. Why on earth would you try to compare a pound of something to a pound of something else? That's seriously >ignorant.

Ed Zachary.
  • freerange
    Options

How about stop then.
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options

LOOOOL. I hate it when people add an e to a word where theres not supposed to be an 'e'.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    gotta say HCG probably takes the cake for me.

Yep. Me too.

My mom freaked on my because my dinner smelled so good and she was on her apple day. The day she is only allowed to eat apples and nothing else..

I'm sorry but who would do a diet where you eat apples for an entire day adn nothing else??
  • AdAstra47
    Options
    The number one all time stupid myth: YOU NEED CARBS FOR ENERGY.

Amen. Do they give you energy? Yes. Do you NEED them in order to have energy? No.
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    someone once told me that counting calories, portion control, healthy eating, and regular exercise would give results. eff that sheizer! i'm drinking pregnant women pee instead.

Im with you!
  • freerange
    Options

LOOOOL. I hate it when people add an e to a word where theres not supposed to be an 'e'.

LOOOL I hate it when people get their panties twisted over a type Oe, nice way to avoid a question, isn't it?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to say it weighs more BY VOLUME. But if it's not qualified with that statement it is flat wrong. Most people say it without including the 'by volume' part, which IS wrong.
    It isn't wrong, it's just that people assume you are smart enough to know that of course we are talking about BY VOLUME. It's freaking obvious. Why on earth would you try to compare a pound of something to a pound of something else? That's seriously ignorant.
    Saying what you mean is a wonderful thing. If you think it's seriously ignorant, PLEASE go to the Search function and search on this such thing....you'll find so much ignorance on the subject it will truly numb your brain.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...

Seriously?

This is actually true:
    Not sure about the numbers, but the idea is the following: "Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of fat would weight 0.9 kg."

Just to explain, it's about weight of the same volume:
    Basically, 1 cubic metre of lead will weight more than 1 cubic metre of wood (won't you agree?).
    Well, same with muscles and fat.
    It's one thing to say it weighs more BY VOLUME. But if it's not qualified with that statement it is flat wrong. Most people say it without including the 'by volume' part, which IS wrong.

AMEN!