C25K 10-10-11/12-11-11

Options

Replies

• LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 5 of my 5K training plan. I got a little away from it when I did my 5K race a few weeks ago, but now I'm back. I've decided to continue the 5K training, but also mix in Adventure Race training. I've decided to do a 5K obstacle course race. This is one located near me:

http://www.millsadventurerunning.com/index.html

Shannon
    My brother just went to Virginia for one of these a couple weeks ago. They look like fun.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    Options
    Today was my first time running outside. It's so different than the treadmill. I can't walk as fast but I was able to run faster. I did a half mile straight three times at about five minutes each! I would have done another but my poor dog was done for. In between each I walked an eighth of a mile in about three minutes.
    I need to find a way to time myself outside. I've only got my phone for now and its a cheapie that has to be opened to even show the time on the outside. I have an mp3 player but I'm not willing to run with headphones at the park in the dark on a wooded trail- too much of a chicken.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    Options
    Lol...lots of posts from me tonight!
    Has anyone jumped in and signed up for a 5k yet? I was planning to do the race in my hometown on Thanksgiving, walking if I needed to, but when I looked at the registration it was 5 miles not 5k. I decided that was a bit too much for me this year.
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Has anyone jumped in and signed up for a 5k yet? I was planning to do the race in my hometown on Thanksgiving, walking if I needed to, but when I looked at the registration it was 5 miles not 5k. I decided that was a bit too much for me this year.

I have signed up for a 5K coming in July... I"m thinking I might find one before then if I can really do it :) But the one in July is going to be SOOOO fun. It's the "Run for your life" zombie run 5k. It's a 5k with obstacles and with zombies chasing you... can't wait! :)
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options

I agree running outside is way diff!! In some ways its harder for me and someways it easier!!

I haven't signed up for one I really want to but Im kind of chicken!!
  • jennysmission
    Options

I have signed up for a 5K coming in July... I"m thinking I might find one before then if I can really do it :) But the one in July is going to be SOOOO fun. It's the "Run for your life" zombie run 5k. It's a 5k with obstacles and with zombies chasing you... can't wait! :)

That sounds like fun!!
  • jennysmission
    Options
    Well I finished W3D2 today but honestly cant really remember how it went because as soon I was done I was talked into doing a MMA class and it totally whooped me..but I finished it so must have not to bad! =)
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone who is chugging along on this journey. I did w3d1 today. The first 3 minute run was like "holy crap". LOL But after that my body seemed to adjust and I ran the last walk and cool down and finished the 5k in a hair over 35 minutes. Good luck to everyone with their efforts.

Troy

That was supposed to say a hair over 38 minutes. Was an improvement over w2d3 when I finished the 5k in 38:52,

Today did w3d2 and then finished the 5k in 37:16. Getting better gradually. Good luck to everyone today.

Troy
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    W3D3 - done!

Feeling good about the running but having a hard time because the scales are going in the wrong direction.... and no its not muscle being heavier because my clothes are no looser.... I think I need to do more than just this for exercise to really kickstart any weight loss.... so its back to the gym for me.... haven't been in months.

Not sure how I'm going to cope with W4.... bit nervous.
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Completed W3D3 today - it was a rough one. I don't know why but I struggled with the energy to do it today but I did it! I'm a little worried that I might not be ready for week 4 and contemplated doing week 3 over, but you know what, it can't hurt to try and if I'm not ready yet, then I'm not ready and I can always just do my best! Hope you guys are doing well!:)
  • jennysmission
    Options
    Completed W3D3 today - it was a rough one. I don't know why but I struggled with the energy to do it today but I did it! I'm a little worried that I might not be ready for week 4 and contemplated doing week 3 over, but you know what, it can't hurt to try and if I'm not ready yet, then I'm not ready and I can always just do my best! Hope you guys are doing well!:)

One of my MFP's told me why repeat the week you just finished...try week 4 and if you have to keep working on it =) and you never know you might just suprise yourself!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    Options

That sounds fun!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    Options

One of my MFP's told me why repeat the week you just finished...try week 4 and if you have to keep working on it =) and you never know you might just suprise yourself!

That's a great idea- keep moving forward.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    Options
    I had a rough time this morning getting on my run. My son was up at 4 wanting changed and I couldn't fall back asleep but had a hard time dragging out of bed with the alarm at 5. I ran outside again with the dog- my car said the temperature was 32 degrees! It was soooo cold and dark and foggy. I did good with the first two laps and even made it past a half mile running which is where I switched to walking last time. The last couple laps were awful- I stopped one on the third and twice on the fourth. I did manage 20 minutes running, 40 minutes total, covering 3 miles so it wasn't a total bust. Hopefully I'll be better rested for Sunday.
    How do you find out about local 5ks?
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Love that!

Faery7-I was struggling with the end of week 3 but did ok on week 4. The part that was hard on week 3 was suddenly the easy part in week 4. Just keep chugging along!!

Laura-check out www.runningintheusa.com. You can find all kinds of races around you.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    W4D2 done! Last time I really had to push myself and wanted to throw up when I was done. Today was MUCH easier. Still not a piece of cake for me but I could really see the difference! Woo hoo!! So excited!!

Keep running!
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options

I feel exactly the same.... but I felt the same after W2 and I managed W3.... so I say we just go for it.... what's the worst that can happen.... we just drop back a bit and walk more to recover..... the other comments are encouraging

I am away for the weekend now so won't get to do W4D1 until monday.... I look forward to seeing if you have done it before me.:bigsmile:
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Did w3d3 today. Felt really great after w3d2 so decide to increase the run to walk ratios and try to take time off my previous best for the whole 5k.
    Did a 3 minute warm-up. Two 3 minute runs with 1 minute walk in between. Then the rest I did 4 minute runs with 1 minute walks in between. The final run was 4:17 to hit the 5k line. Finished the 5k in 34:17. 2:59 less than w3d2. Ran for 25:17 and walked for 9:00. Couldn't believe how fast this program gets you running. Plus by increasing my run times and decreasing my walk times, I won't be horrified when I do w4d1 next week. LOL
    Everyone have a great weekend and great c25k!

Troy
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I did W3D1 this morning. It was really hard for me. 3 min doesn't seem like anything when you are walking, but running? That's a different story. I did it both times, but the second 3min run was very very hard and I had to keep cheering myself on like crazy to get through it. It was also SO cold this morning, 25 maybe. My legs were freezing the entire time and I felt chilled to the bone when I was done. I run on the middle school outdoor track, I am thinking I might need to start going to the inside track at the YMCA because it is only going to get colder and colder.

I think that if I got better shoes it wouldn't be SO hard for me to run, but I just can't afford good running shoes. Right now I am wearing a pair of my teen sons shoes that he outgrew because they are better than anything I own. Why do running shoes have to be so dang expensive?!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 5 of my 5K training plan. I got a little away from it when I did my 5K race a few weeks ago, but now I'm back. I've decided to continue the 5K training, but also mix in Adventure Race training. I've decided to do a 5K obstacle course race. This is one located near me:

http://www.millsadventurerunning.com/index.html

Shannon

I'm really excited to be training for one. 2012 dates have yet to be announced for the adventure race that I posted. My biggest problem is balance. I either spend too much on cardio, not enough on weights, or the vice versa.

Shannon