Safeway groceries are horrible people.

Options
A pregnant woman who bought $50 worth of food got arrested because she ate while in the store.

http://start.toshiba.com/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9QNLEAG2@news.ap.org>&amp;ps=1011&amp;page=1

Replies

• xoAmyxo
    xoAmyxo Posts: 110
    Options
    LOL are you serious? I remember being a kid and my mom would open up something in the store and let me sit in the buggy and eat...people are a joke. ......okay just read that she forgot to pay for it..but still!! give her a break
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact that your link is a bad link, I'm not sure that arresting someone for shoplifting/stealing makes a grocery store chain "horrible people." Are pregnant women supposed to be exempt from the law?
  • adams0029
    Options
    I just read that news article, yeah she ate a sandwich in the store and forgot to pay for it at the checkout. They arrested her and her husband, then the child welfare people took her little girl away for 18 hours. This was ridiculous! I say boycott Safeway, shop somewhere else!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    LOL are you serious? I remember being a kid and my mom would open up something in the store and let me sit in the buggy and eat...people are a joke.

In this case, the woman ate some sandwiches while in the store and DID NOT PAY FOR THEM. That is theft.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-sandwich-arrest-20111101,0,6197311.story
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You want to boycott all Safeways because one store manager had a shoplifter arrested?
  • upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Depends on what she ate right? If she ate banana or something, by the time she goes to pay for it, it will have reduced in weight so ideally it was some kind of shoplifting. If it was a candy, she can always scan the barcode if she saved the package.

Editing because I just read she ate a sandwich. Putting behind bars may be too much but that doesn't make all safeways bad!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    pregnant or not it is shop lifting. I've seen so many people eat stuff in stores then just sit the wrapper down. I've even seen someone drink a thing of milk and sit the bottle down.

My son eats in the store all the time, but I remember to pay and make sure I do.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    she was going to leave the store without paying for the sandwich that she had consumed, because she "forgot" that she ate it. It is attempted theft. The child being taken into custody was a little extreme, but look at it from a bussiness standpoint, if everybody you caught stealing was like , " oh I meant to pay for it but I just forgot" and we just said "well ok, then, no harm no foul...." how far would we get? seriously.
  • monstercakes
    monstercakes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    LOL are you serious? I remember being a kid and my mom would open up something in the store and let me sit in the buggy and eat...people are a joke.

In this case, the woman ate some sandwiches while in the store and DID NOT PAY FOR THEM. That is theft.

it is theft, but they could have charged her without going to such extremes! i don't understand how that is ok..
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If I want to open something and start eating or drinking, I pay for it right then.

And then go about the rest of my shopping. I don't wait to pay. Sometimes, perception is reality.
  • brimir
    brimir Posts: 72
    Options
    You want to boycott all Safeways because one store manager had a shoplifter arrested?

A little over the top isn't it?! lol
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I sometimes "forget" to pay for things at Safeway when their advertised sales don't actually ring up correctly. I recoup my losses through future visits. Can't wait until another supermarket chain moves in town and I don't have to shop there anymore.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-sandwich-arrest-20111101,0,6197311.story
    it is theft, but they could have charged her without going to such extremes! i don't understand how that is ok..

Yup exactly! Sounds like it was handled way to harsh to me. I have seen teens at the mall get off way easier and do not think it is right!

Poor little girl :(
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think we have all forgotten to pay for something in the store before. When it was brought to her attention she was embarrassed and wanted to pay. They refused and arrested her and took her child away. I believe it went way too far.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    She wasn't arrested for eating in the store. She was arrested for eating a sandwich in the store and leaving without paying for it. Big difference.

I do think it should have been handled differently, but having worked in loss prevention, I know that many companies have absolute zero tolerance policies on theft.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    WOW... I would have been labeled a criminal long ago if I shopped at Safeway. That's absurd. Awesome way to treat your customers.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Safeway isn't wrong, even if she did make a mistake and forgot to pay. This is why I think people shouldn't eat things they haven't paid for yet, you never know when a store will call it shoplifting or if a mistake like this could happen.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Safeway didn't take her child away. That's nothing to do with them.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I was shopping and had placed a greeting card in the seat part of the shopping cart. Then I sat my purse down on top of it. Continued shopping. Went through the check out line and paid for my stuff. When I got to the car to load my purchases I found the card still under my purse. I had forgotten to pay for it! I loaded my things. Picked up my purse and the card and went back in to pay for it. The cashier looked at me like I was nuts! Guess they are more used to people trying to steal, than being honest. It could have very easily been a different story! I could have been stopped as I was leaving the store and arrested for shoplifting.

People do sometimes just make honest mistakes. I find it sad that the store couldn't have taken that into consideration before having 2 people arrested and the child taken into protective custody! How could management not known that if the parents were arrested the child would be taken?
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    "The national supermarket chain said it was looking into the incident. 'It was never our intent to separate a mother from her child. That was a very unfortunate consequence to this situation,' Houghton said. 'We understand the outrage. We are concerned about how this was handled.'"

I don't see how the whole chain is responsible because one store could have handled the situation better by allowing the sandwiches to be paid for and telling the couple to shop elsewhere for a while.

I don't see the point to their suing. They were wrong. The situation could have been handled more diplomatically, but legally the chain was within their rights.