NOVEMBER century plus CYCLING challenge

Options
Hey cyclists: The holidays are coming, and I can just imagine the excuses. Fitness is not just a whim but a lifestyle.

How many miles do you think you can cycle in November? Each 100mi = one century.

I am challenging myself to 100 miles total.

Come back each time you cycle and post your numbers. If you have a special experience while cycling, we want to know about it too. At the end of the month PM me; I'll tally the total miles cycled for the month, and let you know how we all did.

Replies

• tsumpter
    tsumpter Posts: 491
    Options
    I am in!!!!:smile:
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    My goal is 400 miles for November.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am backing way down from last month. Last month wore me out and I am first going to take a week off. During the time I would normally ride I am fixing my Mountain Bike up and get it ready for snow. I will start riding again with my road bike until snow then switch to the Mountain Bike. I also will switch to working out at the gym. I only need 150 more miles to make my yearly goal so I am thinking around 200 miles this month. I know I know it is way low but I need to do some other things to shock my body as it has gotten used to me riding. And being in Minnesota the cold already is slowing me down, the snow will stop me at time. But the rest of you keep it going.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm in for another month.....my miles have been winding down for the year. Between football games on the weekends and some long work days - not to mention I am a wimp and hate riding in the cold- my miles are low this time of year. I have the bike on the training stand and am in spin class twice a week so I will shoot for 125 miles for the month.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Im in for 100 - im hoping to reach my goal this month.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I'll commit to 100. I think I barely broke 35 in October...but I did 25 miles of those this past Sunday. It was a great ride and I blogged about it if anyone is interested. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/RMinVA

Hubby and I were just talking yesterday about getting some "winter" riding gear. He did his first century ride last month (Seagull Century in Salisbury, MD) and is already looking for 2012 rides. He is targeting Ragbrai (ride across Iowa) for late next summer. It's a lottery ride though, so he has to get in first.
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'll commit to 100. I think I barely broke 35 in October...but I did 25 miles of those this past Sunday. It was a great ride and I blogged about it if anyone is interested. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/RMinVA

Hubby and I were just talking yesterday about getting some "winter" riding gear. He did his first century ride last month (Seagull Century in Salisbury, MD) and is already looking for 2012 rides. He is targeting Ragbrai (ride across Iowa) for late next summer. It's a lottery ride though, so he has to get in first.

You should have him looking into joining a cycling club that does RAGBRAI....my club does and handles everything from camp set up to hauling you gear. Plus you would be assured a spot as they register as a group. I think my club costs about $35 per year. There are always people out there selling their bands as well if he doesn't get picked in the lotto! RAGBRAI is one of the coolest rides you can do!
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options

You should have him looking into joining a cycling club that does RAGBRAI....my club does and handles everything from camp set up to hauling you gear. Plus you would be assured a spot as they register as a group. I think my club costs about $35 per year. There are always people out there selling their bands as well if he doesn't get picked in the lotto! RAGBRAI is one of the coolest rides you can do!

That is the best way to do it. Going at it alone is pretty darn tough. I too wanted to do the RAGBRAI but with my work load in the summer is made it tough. Maybe next year though but won't go unless I can get into a group
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone about the Ragbrai info. Hubby is partnering with our neighbor and one of his buddies. But I will definitely pass it along!
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am in for 150 miles. Even though most of them will be indoors since the weather is now changing to snow here in Utah. Plus with the time change coming this weekend, it will be dark by the time I get off work.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    nov 1.....42.0

YTD: 1736.0(spinning miles)
  • TDSeest
    Options
    11-01-2011 - 130 Minutes - 24 Miles - 2728 Calories - Warm and windy.
  • tsumpter
    tsumpter Posts: 491
    Options
    11/1/2011: 20 minutes cycling
  • TDSeest
    Options
    11-01-2011 - 130 Minutes - 24 Miles - 2728 Calories - Warm and windy.
    11-01-2011 - 56 Minutes - 10 Miles - 881 Calories - Cool down ride.

November - 186 Minutes - 34 Miles - 3609 Calories
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Well, I will try again...

November 100 miles
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Riding into work this morning was great as it was warm and dead calm. I felt like I was flying. Riding home was crazy as I was either directly into or being blown sideways by a 30 mph wind with gusts to 40. I'm used to a lot of wind, but this was pretty exceptional. At points I was pedaling away like crazy and going 8.9 mph.

This month is going to be harder with the rain and thanksgiving, but I think I can make 350 miles.
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I was a bum (from a cycling perspective) in October. Too much work and not enough paddling makes Octo a dull girl.

November won't be better with travel more than half the days but I'll aim for at least 100. I have got to get off my butt...

Thanks for setting this up, Tiggerick.
  • mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I will try for 100, although I fell short 15 for October, but now I am not training for a half marathon...well unless I can buy a bib last minute. hahaha
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    ok I am going to be more realistic with the weather and such...and I am going to count my stationary bike miles too... (I usually do about 5 for a warm up before my trainer at the gym tortures me) so my goal is......... 100