Friends on MFP with poor food diaries?

Options
I was lurking through on my MFP friends diaries. Some had very very very very poor food choices but stayed below the calorie intake.

Do you ever approach them about it and tell them that they aren't making the best choices for their body?

I know that you can loose weight eating poorly by staying below your calorie intake but I don't think eating cookies and chocolate for breakfast is right for their body nutritionally and in the long run for loosing weight (carbs+fat = no extra benefits vs a well rounded breakfast consisting of protein and fiber).

I'm not saying its bad to have cheats, I have a nice sorbet for dessert most nights or sometimes a biscuit here and there...but never 500 calories worth of 'junk food' for breakfast D:

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    And this is why I keep my diary private. :noway:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    When I see that, I usually post a topic about how ****ty my friends are eating. It seems to do the trick.
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This is easy. NO. let folks learn on their own. NO.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should probably tell them all what you think about their diaries. I'm sure they will appreciate how helpful you are.

Let us know how it goes. :smile:
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    Unless someone asked you to comment of their food diary, why would you? That seems rude to me. This topic seems rude to me.
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think it's best not to give advice unless advice is solicited. You're not the diary police! Your intentions may be well-meaning, but they'll probably just annoy your MFP buddies. Just keep to yourself and focus on your diary! Now, if someone asks for your advice - that's a whole different story (:
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Also, they already know it's bad for them, so a stranger for the most part, telling them to eat healthy isn't going to create the result you may think could happen....

-t
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Unless they ask, no. It's not your body that the bad food is being pumped into, therefore it's none of your business.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of people that I friended when they asked because I try to be as supportive as possible, but I'm sure they are both borderline anorexics and I do keep telling them to eat more, make better choices but eventually I expect I'll "unfriend" them. It's hard for me to make that decision because I like to think that I can maybe help people. Some people can't be helped.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I used to but it hurt feelings and I guess i had to realize that this is a process for all of us. One person's junk food choices are another's only knowledge of how to eat at the moment!

I'd love to preach to them more, expecially with degrees in health and nutrition, BUT it doesn't work. And, i'm sure many of my friends think what I eat and drink to be weird.

So in the end i'm always helpful when asked :)

that said, I do have a few closer friends who I can nail when need be - LOL!
  • chefchazz
    Options
    When I see that, I usually post a topic about how ****ty my friends are eating. It seems to do the trick.
    :laugh:
  • jade_85
    Options
    unless they ask for advice then no.. cos really its none of ur business :)
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Maybe they used to eat even more "junk food". Give 'em kudos for cutting back. Sure it might not be the healthiest choices but you can't change food habits and preferences overnight.
  • caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    No, it's none of my business. I can't concern myself with what others are eating. All I can control is what I put in my mouth. I would put that energy used towards being critical of others diets towards my own healthy eating but that's just me! =)
  • tonyavanwinkle2
    tonyavanwinkle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would want you to tell me if you saw something on there I should change or replace with said item. That being said, I know I'm going to have a few bad things here and there, pizza being one of them. I am aware of that. I wouldn't want someone calling me out on the rug EVERY single time it happens. However, there are things I am unaware of. There are things that are a healthier option. And I would like to know about them and why they are being suggested. Don't pop in and say "you need to eat x,y,z" and not give me a reason as to why I should. I'm trying to learn about foods, so I need the why as well as the product to fully understand the suggestions.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Well, I generally comment on all my friends food diaries. There are a couple that I don't bother to look at anymore. I've mentioned something to this one friend that goes over constantly on calories nad sodium intake. I've also noticed that his food choices appear to be fast food to me. Something tells me that he is not married and hasn't had a home cooked meal in years. I don't respond to his food diary anymore. Some people I have dropped because I feel like they are being "FAKE". I try to do my best to be diplomatic, but some people just don't get it..... JMO

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sweetly_spicy
    sweetly_spicy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    And this is why I keep my diary private.

If I'm making the calorie/fat/carb goals, and producing results, the last thing I need is someone telling me I'm DoingItWrong, or otherwise belittling the efforts being make because they have it in their heads they need to judge others efforts so they can feel better about themselves or smug.

Instead of calling your 'friends' out in false concern, perhaps take the more positive method of "Hey, I have this recipe that really tasted good and is low cal. Why don't you try it?" Or even inviting them out for exercise together, if they aren't producing results.

One could even focus on your own weight loss efforts and show even better results, perhaps engendering said others to query how you are doing so great and maybe change things on their own.
  • saabs80
    saabs80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    And this is why I keep my diary private. :noway:

Mine is private too, no need to share
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    honestly i think the point of making your food diary public is to get feedback from other users...Im not saying we are all doctors etc but constructive criticism is okay. I think if you are not okay with it dont make your diary public. IMHO, the whole point of being on MFP is for the group support and that includes criticism. AGain it depends on what is being said. Some people may have slept in at a Holiday Inn Express but that doesnt make them a doctor so giving medical advice on here is a big NO NO, but if its someone trying to offer help to make things easier why not!. Just my 2 pennies!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I drink nothing but vodka for breakfast