Friends on MFP with poor food diaries?

Options

Replies

• angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ADVICE. As long as it's not to Harsg. When you give UNWANTED advice after someone has hinted that you back off a Bit they are Likely To CLOSE their Food Diary for Viewing. A past MFP Frind complained ALOT about not losing weight BUT would NEVER eat 1200 cals & Worked Out Hard everyday. That's a bit annoying when they Complain But Don't take Advice. ANYONE (female...Sorry Jealous Hubby) who would like to give me Helpful Advice without TOO much Harsh Criticism. PLEASE ADD ME as a Friend & Leave a message why you're adding me. I'll most likely forget I even commented here
  • MrsFelton2010
    MrsFelton2010 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. If you don't tell someone how will they learn? Also, if the person has their diary public obviously they want people look at it and post opinions. For most people this is their first attempt, or hundredth and are looking for help so give it to them but do it in a nice and caring way.
    Yes it is peoples choices, but I personally believe if we dont offer advice (they dont need to take it, it is just advice) then how can we learn if people dont offer advice?

One person was using about 500 cals, I spoke to him and he said he did not binge himself like some people! I mostly eat my cals... Bless..

I always take advice offered to me, I might not use it, but I thank the person for taking the time to message me with a question. I also have given advice, people ask what they are doing wrong, then some people say, I am not showing my food diary? Their choice.

I would say there are no two people who eat the same on this site, and I like the fact people offer advice when I mess up!! Thank you all who have xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am here to learn, if people get offended by a message from me, that is not my intention but it is their choice to be offended.

I have managed to do amazing things thanks to people offering help and advice regarding my food diary xx
  • Jeanetta10
    Jeanetta10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. If you don't tell someone how will they learn? Also, if the person has their diary public obviously they want people look at it and post opinions. For most people this is their first attempt, or hundredth and are looking for help so give it to them but do it in a nice and caring way.
    Yes it is peoples choices, but I personally believe if we dont offer advice (they dont need to take it, it is just advice) then how can we learn if people dont offer advice?

One person was using about 500 cals, I spoke to him and he said he did not binge himself like some people! I mostly eat my cals... Bless..

I always take advice offered to me, I might not use it, but I thank the person for taking the time to message me with a question. I also have given advice, people ask what they are doing wrong, then some people say, I am not showing my food diary? Their choice.

I would say there are no two people who eat the same on this site, and I like the fact people offer advice when I mess up!! Thank you all who have xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am here to learn, if people get offended by a message from me, that is not my intention but it is their choice to be offended.

I have managed to do amazing things thanks to people offering help and advice regarding my food diary xx
  • Jeanetta10
    Jeanetta10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I disagree with dishing out advice unless it's specifically asked for. If someone wants to see how another person is losing weight, all they have to do is look at the "loser's" food diary. Chances are they know exactly what they are doing wrong. How many of you, myself included, have gotten unsolicited advice from "caring" people. How did it make you feel? Like sure, I didn't know that I gained thirty pounds Aunty. I responded to her with, I don't want to discuss it, and I didn't call her again to chat for months, until she very carefully called me. You get people upset and they want to hit the cookies. Keep your kind and caring advice to yourselves!
  • danstvguy
    Options
    I believe this is not the way to handle it. In fact .. you probably shouldn't be reading their food diaries unless invited or requested to do so. Wait to be asked. Much of what we think is "bad" is subjective and debatable by the so-called experts. What's important is moderation and awareness. If they're already on this site then they're already on their way to enlightenment about healthy habits. Concentrate on yourself and pitch-in when requested is my suggestion.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I drink nothing but vodka for breakfast

LOL why am I not surprised!
  • angieskia
    Options
    I believe this is not the way to handle it. In fact .. you probably shouldn't be reading their food diaries unless invited or requested to do so. Wait to be asked. Much of what we think is "bad" is subjective and debatable by the so-called experts. What's important is moderation and awareness. If they're already on this site then they're already on their way to enlightenment about healthy habits. Concentrate on yourself and pitch-in when requested is my suggestion.

If someone doesn't want their Food Diary read there are to steps to take regarding Privacy. Public, Friends Only , Private only or a PIN number I think so they can give it out to whomever the like. Humans are Curious by nature so IF your Diary is Open To Public someone is Bound To Look. If they'd like to give advice and are used to doing so then they most likely will.

If Anyone on MFP is Not Ready for advice or for their Food Diary to be seen they should keep it private. I don't think any MFP Member needs an Invitation to look at another Member's Diary when it is Open To Public
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I was lurking through on my MFP friends diaries. Some had very very very very poor food choices but stayed below the calorie intake.

Do you ever approach them about it and tell them that they aren't making the best choices for their body?

I know that you can loose weight eating poorly by staying below your calorie intake but I don't think eating cookies and chocolate for breakfast is right for their body nutritionally and in the long run for loosing weight (carbs+fat = no extra benefits vs a well rounded breakfast consisting of protein and fiber).

I'm not saying its bad to have cheats, I have a nice sorbet for dessert most nights or sometimes a biscuit here and there...but never 500 calories worth of 'junk food' for breakfast D:

I have a simple rule. I don't take advice from people who don't know how to spell the word "lose".
  • angieskia
    Options

Do you ever approach them about it and tell them that they aren't making the best choices for their ]

I have a simple rule. I don't take advice from people who don't know how to spell the word "lose".

Aww Mr Brett don't be mean. I thought all MFP members were nice & supportive. :(
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    And this is why I keep my diary private. :noway:

^^ This
  • tchrnmommy
    Options

Do you ever approach them about it and tell them that they aren't making the best choices for their ]

Aww Mr Brett don't be mean. I thought all MFP members were nice & supportive. :(

Haha....clearly you haven't been around here long! MFP has the highest number of judgemental, snarky people I have ever had the honor of "hanging" out with! LMAO As a side note, don't let my "member since" date fool you....this is my second account...closed the first one after my divorce in 2008
  • girlando24
    Options
    I feel that they are only fooling themselves it is just a bad habit and will never go away if they dont really learn the better foods for themselves. Like someone said its not going to melt off unless U yourself keep it off by not cheating
  • angieskia
    Options
    [/quote]

Haha....clearly you haven't been around here long! MFP has the highest number of judgemental, snarky people I have ever had the honor of "hanging" out with! LMAO
    [/quote]

I honestly didn't know that. I was pretty consistent Over 8 Months ago but I didn't read the Boards very much unless I needed Help or ideas. I don't feel right coming to the boards to give advice when I Still don't really know what I'm doing. Thanx for the Warning Tchrn
  • danstvguy
    Options
    True you can make it private. But why someone spends time "lurking" through another's food diary just to tell them what they think has lost their focus. Most of the "friends" on this site are here for inspiration ... not criticism.
  • tchrnmommy
    Options
    All you have to do is read more of the "hot topics" and you'd have figured it out quickly! LOL....
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    We r all adults we know what's good for us and what's not its just annoying to b told told by a stranger what to eat. And what not to eat unless they ask
  • JasonGinMI
    JasonGinMI Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I drink nothing but vodka for breakfast

LOL!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

The OP is so hot to call people out for food mistakes, I figured someone should let them know they can't spell a four letter word. Consider it more "helpful advice". If they don't like it when someone points out mistakes they're making..well....
  • loestreich
    Options
    I have mixed feelings...it's good that they are recording, even if the food isn't the best. So, kudos to them for that! If the poor choices are occasional, then I think we all do that. If all they eat is poor nutrition and they keep their calorie count low, they will get sick. So, if you care about them, you can give them a gentle and caring reminder that their habits might cause health problems down the line.

I have been known to record a few unhealthy foods, myself! I hope that they don't make up the bulk of my day's food, though.

Best of luck to everyone. Just being here shows you are trying to do something good for yourself...and that's what matters.
  • bett_boop
    bett_boop Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    anyone who wants to advise me on my eating habits can go right ahead, i would love some opinions!