you named your kid what???

Options

Replies

• dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I teach and we have a lot of princess, promises, precious, blessing....and believe me from a teacher's perspective they never live up to their names!
    lol!
  • argharna
    Options
    I have a cousin named Fame now that hes a teen he goes by his middle name. Pat
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I teach and we have a lot of princess, promises, precious, blessing....and believe me from a teacher's perspective they never live up to their names!
    lol!

i get that, as a vet tech when we have pets come in names sweetie , sugar, or such we automaticaly grab a muzzle
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    What then about Ckhristophpher?
    Sure, Christopher is a good name but... why make it so damn difficult to write?

Geez, where did they get that spelling from?

meth???
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    tu-morrow
  • RhondaRowsell
    RhondaRowsell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Genuine-a boy
    Unique- his sister
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a friend whose kids are Hadessa and Miriam....they're both under 3. She's pregnant again; what will she name this one =-0

Both are Hebrew. Hadessa was Esther's name before she changed it to hide her true identity. It means Myrtle (like the tree). Miriam was the sister of Moses and Aaron, the meaning is uncertain, as it can be viewed as "Rebellious" or "Sea of Bitterness". Both women were strong matriarchs in the Bible, your friend probably hoped some of those attributes would be bestowed upon her daughters.

Yes, I adore Biblical/religious names. I think they're great.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I understand that the parents want to ensure their child is unique, but I also think they should remember that kids can be viscous!! My parents named me Varla Fiona. Varla (like Carla but with a V) is a family name (gran and mom both have it) so they wanted it part of my name but wanted to call me Fiona. They put it this order though as our surname is King and my initials would have be FVK, and people sometimes right a V as a U... I am grateful they thought of this! I hated my first name as a child even though I was known as Fiona because kids at school found out what it was an teased me endlessly. In my late 20's I decided I actually liked it and now the majority of people call me Varla.

Parents who want an unique name could take the advice of friends of mine - once you have chosen the name, find a few teenage boys and ask them what kind of insults or teasing they can think of for that name. Then look at it and decide if it still fair on your child to use that name. Using the unique name as a second name is a way the child can choose to use it later if they want and miss the worst of the teasing. My friend's girls are 10 and they keep changing which name they want to use - I never know if it is Amy or Chayil and Hannah or Rose or even Rosebud (she decided this was an improvement on her parents choice!!)

Unusual spelling can also be a pain as the child has to correct everyone all the time.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    our kids have weird "official" names Théoden (Thay-o-den) and Samiel (Sam-eye-Elle) but we refer to them as Theo and Sami so they have "normal" everyday names.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options

this is me! My parents named me Eleanor (said with a proper British accent which i think is/was quite posh) and nicknamed me Ellie which i think is quite girly and i am far from posh and not remotely girly!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i know someone who named their kid 'cash'
  • jo2907
    jo2907 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm based in the UK and will allways remember reading in the newspaper someone calling their daughter Ikea ( after the swedish furniture store) and also someone else naming their child Kia after she was born in that partiucualr make or car, and i think they got a free car out of it too.

I have old neighbours who's daughter is elladie pheonix ( think this is a lovely name)

Also in the UK people have been known to name children after whole football teams, or have football stadiums as middle names

Personally, i really love them names Teigan jorja for a girl and Jayden for a boy.
  • stevieb3052
    stevieb3052 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My youngest daughter wanted to call her first boy 'Underwear' until she had her fifth birthday!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    our kids have weird "official" names Théoden (Thay-o-den) and Samiel (Sam-eye-Elle) but we refer to them as Theo and Sami so they have "normal" everyday names.

Weird coincidence, my dad's best friends two dogs were/are Samuel and Theodore, Sammy and Theo.
    Theo (AKA Blacky) is still plodding along. I still remember Samuel the Cocker Spaniel as a little puppy so many years ago.
  • 707janette
    707janette Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My best friend's grandson's name is Cash. I had never heard of it before. He is 2 and I love the name.
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    Wow, some of these names are beyond ridiculous :noway:

I know someone called Phoenix, but he legally changed his name so technically his parents didn't name him that. Aside from him, everyone else I know has "normal" names.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Not weird but uncommon, my mom wanted to name me Winifred after her mother's middle name. My grandma would have none of it! She refused to let me be named that and I got stuck with Ashley....along with about a million other girls in 1983. By the time I was 12 I really wished my mom just would have stuck with Winifred and I would have been the only Winnie at my school instead of going through life as "Ashley P."

Also not completely cruel but my husband and I decided when we have a kid they will have the first name be a J name, middle name a F name as our last name starts with a K. So their initials would be JFK. My husband idolizes JFK and I idolize Jack Kerouac, so our kid would have the same initials as our heros.

The kid at some point will be razzed for having the initials JFK though, not doubt about it.
  • Fishmantx
    Fishmantx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a poor girl at my son's school named Salmonella. Really.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard of too crazy of names, although people who name their kids after alcohol boggle my mind. Brandy, Margarita, Sherry... I don't understand.
  • Spruillie03
    Spruillie03 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a student whose name is Steel, but my personal favorite was a student whose name was Cashmone (with a little accent over the e).