Swine Flu

Options
So I'm sure you've all heard of this swine flu. I had been reading the news stories but got quite a wake up call today.

A school has been closed in the city I live in because there has been 1 confirmed and 1 suspected case. My children don't attend this school but the actual school is located about 1.5 miles from my home. This leads me to the thought that the family/families probably shop where I do, etc. A little scary! :noway:

I just wanted to send out a reminder to please wash your hands and wash them often!! If you or your kids are feeling sick, stay home and get well.

Since a lot of us work out in gyms, be sure to wipe down equipment and weights before and after using them. Better safe than sorry!! :wink:

Let's stay safe & healthy!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• heather93277
    Options
    So I'm sure you've all heard of this swine flu. I had been reading the news stories but got quite a wake up call today.

A school has been closed in the city I live in because there has been 1 confirmed and 1 suspected case. My children don't attend this school but the actual school is located about 1.5 miles from my home. This leads me to the thought that the family/families probably shop where I do, etc. A little scary! :noway:

I just wanted to send out a reminder to please wash your hands and wash them often!! If you or your kids are feeling sick, stay home and get well.

Since a lot of us work out in gyms, be sure to wipe down equipment and weights before and after using them. Better safe than sorry!! :wink:

Let's stay safe & healthy!! :flowerforyou:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    They have closed all of the schools in the district I live in, I don't have school aged children but I am always in large crowded areas. The first confirmed cases were in the school that my children graduated from!!! Yikes, so close to home!!!!

I hope it's contained soon! This is VERY scary!

Stay healthy everyone!!!

Memaw
  • heather93277
    Options
    Update, just saw they upped the level to a 5. Level 6 is an all out pandemic. Sheesh!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    It's very scary. We are in Nebraska, which doesn't have any cases reported yet. But it makes me nerveous to send my kids out the door.
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Wow...scary. :frown:
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    i know this is a serious topic, but... heres a little funny story:
    my dad and i ride bikes with a cycling group on tuesdays and he always calls me midday to ask if i still plan on riding. well yesterday he calls me and says "i'm not going to ride today, i've got that flu thats been going around." :frown:

it took a second of silence on my part for my dad to say "not that swine flu. just the regular flu!" :laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    all propaganda

proceed with your normal daily lives
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    all propaganda

Dave this may be a first... but I completely agree with you.
  • heather93277
    Options
    all propaganda

That may be the case, but still doesn't hurt anything to be sure to wash hands and such :wink:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    will swine flu help with weight loss? :laugh: I agree, this is being blown out of proportion....Let's see, appoximately 40k die per year of the regular flu, 160 people have died so far from swine, and there's 7billion people in the world, the numbers just don't scare me yet.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    all propaganda

That may be the case, but still doesn't hurt anything to be sure to wash hands and such :wink:

I wash my hands anyway...don't you?
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Oh and just so we're all aware, it's an yellow on the Department of Homeland Security Alert System, so still be afraid, just not terrified.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    all propaganda

absolutely. And all the precautions you NORMALLY take to prevent illness from spreading- don't share food and drink, cover your mouth when you cough, etc, are the best things you can do to protect yourself and your family. But seriously guys. SARS hit WAY worse than this so far has... and I still think IT was blown way out of proportion.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    All I keep thinking is the Carol Burnett skit during the last mass swine flu hysteria of the '70s-- (I can still remember having to line up for my shot before going back to school-- :noway: )

Carol's diagnosed and turns to the camera and has a pig snout-- they knew enough to poke fun. So, oh my-- please people-- calm yourselves-- if the media didn't have something hysterical to report they wouldn't know what to do with themselves-- don't be sheep.
  • heather93277
    Options
    all propaganda

absolutely, but I know some folks that are questionable LOL!! :laugh:
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    will swine flu help with weight loss? :laugh:

Haven't seen too many skinny pigs...
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    will swine flu help with weight loss? :laugh: I agree, this is being blown out of proportion....Let's see, appoximately 40k die per year of the regular flu, 160 people have died so far from swine, and there's 7billion people in the world, the numbers just don't scare me yet.
    Better safe than sorry.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    thousands of people get the flu every day - old people and children and people with immune deficienes are always at risk -

I agree witht he propaganda - nonsense

wash your hands!
  • littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's being blown out of proportion, but we do need to be careful and take precautions. Here's a couple of helpful things to know:

1. This is a virus, not bacteria, so antibiotics will not help
    2. Wearing surgical masks will not completely protect you. The virus is airborne and is smaller than the ventilation holes on the mask, so don't feel "safe" if you wear one.
    3. Washing your hands with an antibacterial soap will NOT kill the virus (remember, it's not bacteria), it will, however, wash the virus off your hands, so wash, and wash often!
    4. Eating pork will not spread the flu, it's airborne, not in pig tissue.
    5. Using the antibacterial wipes at the grocery store will not make your cart clean, just spread the virus around more, so if you go out, make sure you don't touch your mouth and eyes and face and be sure to was your hands as soon as you can.

Hope that helps, being educated about it can help calm fears...anyone got any other tips?
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    all propaganda

absolutely. And all the precautions you NORMALLY take to prevent illness from spreading- don't share food and drink, cover your mouth when you cough, etc, are the best things you can do to protect yourself and your family. But seriously guys. SARS hit WAY worse than this so far has... and I still think IT was blown way out of proportion.
    I'm sure people already do this but I always cough or sneeze into the inner part of my arm instead of my hand.