C25K-New Year Challenge

Options

Replies

• dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    superb guys

my husband has been a runner in his early twenties, (though he needs to resume it very badly now) was telling me that his trainer trained us that b4 u start run start breathing as if ur huffing n puffing i mean very frequent breaths, thats how ull not be out a breath and not feel pain in stomach.

i think a watched a videa jillian on Dr. Show i told about stomach cure too let me search that one.
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    Run for your Life!
    Maple, 30, says she runs two to three times per week, but always gets cramps in her side and pain in her feet. She asks health and wellness expert Jillian Michaels for tips for pain-free running.
    “When running, most people exhale as the right foot hits the ground,” Jillian says. “Your liver is located on your right side, [and doing this] puts pressure on it.

“This tugs at the diaphragm and creates a stitch,” she says.
    Tricks for Pain-Free Running
    • Exhale on the left: Instead of exhaling on the right, exhale as your left foot strikes the ground.
    • Belly Breathe: Most side cramps stem from shallow breathing during exercise. When working out, try to breathe deeply and slowly, expanding the belly and the upper chest.
    • Slow down: Exercising too intensely when you’re out of shape causes you to breathe too quickly and more shallowly. Build up intensity gradually.
    • Massage your stitch: Gently rub the painful area with your hands, which will relax the muscles and increase blood flow to the area.
    • Stay hydrated: Hydration is key for all vigorous activity.

u can watch video of episode on this link

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/show_synopsis/886?section=synopsis
  • midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 completed today on the treadmill.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options

“When running, most people exhale as the right foot hits the ground,” Jillian says. “Your liver is located on your right side, [and doing this] puts pressure on it.

“This tugs at the diaphragm and creates a stitch,” she says.
    Tricks for Pain-Free Running
    • Exhale on the left: Instead of exhaling on the right, exhale as your left foot strikes the ground.
    • Belly Breathe: Most side cramps stem from shallow breathing during exercise. When working out, try to breathe deeply and slowly, expanding the belly and the upper chest.
    • Slow down: Exercising too intensely when you’re out of shape causes you to breathe too quickly and more shallowly. Build up intensity gradually.
    • Massage your stitch: Gently rub the painful area with your hands, which will relax the muscles and increase blood flow to the area.
    • Stay hydrated: Hydration is key for all vigorous activity.
    Interesting info! I do find that if I breathe in a slow controlled manner, like 3 steps inhaling and 3 steps exhaling, my side stitch works itself out.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Just surprised myself and did W6 D2 at 10 pm. Finals have my schedule going crazy lately! It was surprisingly easy today, and it seems that I've really broken my plateau and am dropping lots of weight :) I'm really really loving this program!!

edit: I am a bit confused, I think I might be following a different version of this. You are all saying that in week 5 there is a 20 minute run, but I am in week 6 and have not hit a 20 minute run yet. I am following an app on my iPod touch, any idea why this might be so different??
  • greytblackdog
    greytblackdog Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    w6D3 - DONE! The most milage yet!!! Stats below:

Distance: 3.34 mi
    Run Pace: 10:05/mi
    Walk Pace: 15:09/mi - slow
    Cal burned: 341

Des92 - are you using the ease into 5K program on your ipod? If so, they updated the app a week and a half ago and altered the times for running and walking a bit, so it might not be exactly what the classic C25K program is, but it will get you to the same place.
  • sonyachan
    Options
    Week 6 Day 2 done, and I am sad to say goodbye to the intervals! I know I can do it, and I will do it, but thinking of running a solid 25 minutes has me a little nervous. :S
  • bobbi29
    bobbi29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Week 6 Day 3 done.

On to week 7

Starting Weight: 288
    CW-285
    GW-125
    Bicep: 17-Nov 13-16.5
    Bust(fullest): 44-Nov 13- 45
    Waist(narrowest): 45 Nov 13- 41
    Belly around navel: 50-Nov 13- 49
    Hips(widest): 53-Nov 13- 52.5
    Thighs (widest): 28-Nov 13- 27
    calves-20.5R, 20L: Nov 13- 19.5, 20L:
    Mini GW challenge-278 -
  • midonhau
    Options
    Week 5 Day 2 completed on the treadmill
  • midonhau
    Options
    Week 5 Day 3 & Week 6 Day 1 complete
  • sonyachan
    Options
    Week 6 Day 3 finally done! I was feeling very unmotivated, so I decided to try my run at a different park. It was so refreshing to have new scenery and a nice even paved trail. The 25 minutes went by really quick!
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Week 6 Day 1 Done!
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a cold and when I did W6 D3 I had to stop after 10 minutes of running, because I got a headache and felt like I would pass out. Took it easy and walked/jogged for the rest, but still felt sick afterwards. So I'm taking a break until I feel better but will get back into it soon!! :)
  • bobbi29
    bobbi29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Week 7 Day 1 done

Starting Weight: 288
    CW-284
    GW-125
    Bicep: 17-Nov 13-16.5
    Bust(fullest): 44-Nov 13- 45
    Waist(narrowest): 45 Nov 13- 41
    Belly around navel: 50-Nov 13- 49
    Hips(widest): 53-Nov 13- 52.5
    Thighs (widest): 28-Nov 13- 27
    calves-20.5R, 20L: Nov 13- 19.5, 20L:
    Mini GW challenge-278 -
  • greytblackdog
    greytblackdog Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    W7D1 DONE!

Today my husband decided to join me and I ran slower than I ever have trying to run with my better half. He's a high school basketball official and is in much better cardio condition than I am, but I run faster typically. It was fun to have company, but I kinda like my alone time with my music. Horrible - I know. Anyway - stats below.

W7D1
    Distance: 3.01 mi
    Run Pace: 11:25/mi
    Walk Pace: 15:55/mi
    Cal Burned: 327
  • midonhau
    Options
    W6D2 done on the treadmill
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    well done ladies

des92- get well soon
  • sonyachan
    Options
    Week 7 is on! Day 1 done and ready to move along! Since I'm a bit behind, I may just go ahead and move up to week 8 a day early. Not much difference really. I feel if I can run for 25 minutes, then what's 3 more?
  • Rose200
    Rose200 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just read all 10 pgs of your posts. It's awesome to read where you were and were you are now. I'm W2D2. And am surviving. Little hard on my shins though. Hoping that will pass.
    Good work everyone!
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    I just read all 10 pgs of your posts. It's awesome to read where you were and were you are now. I'm W2D2. And am surviving. Little hard on my shins though. Hoping that will pass.
    Good work everyone!

Welcome! :flowerforyou: