breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• FiremanSam111
    Options
    Breast feeding, public or not, is natural. Sometimes awkward, but hey, when baby is hungry, would you rather have screaming baby or happy baby? Imagine how you would feel if you weren't allowed to eat in public!
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    As a child, I was felt it was a deep injustice that on hot summer days boys could walk around with no shirts on and I had to wear one because I was a girl. In fact, I still feel that way. My breasts are part of my body, and they aren't a sex organ. Other than hurting like hell if I run without a bra on, I see little reason to keep them concealed in public at all.

But the sad reality of the world is that I have to wear a shirt in public most of the time and have to deal with the boob sweat and bra chaffing of summer. I have to feel apprehensive at the thought of eventually breast feeding in public when I have a child. I have to listen to the morality police tell me my body is something that should be covered at all times, though boys bodies are just fine to show off. I have to listen to police officers warn me about dressing too provocatively in response to a recent streak of rapes in my neighborhood (true story, I was wearing a crew cut tshirt at the time btw).

I have to do all of these things because people are afraid of a little tit. Get over it, especially when it's feeding a baby. For real. The only way to truly desexualize a boob is to make it common place, as common place as a boy's bare chest. I mean, they played soccer that way at my school during practice, shirts v skins, but girls had to play red v blue with those awkward net things. The best way to start that process is in allowing children to see boobs being used for what they were designed for, feeding children. If the only way you see them is on prominent display while covered up, how else are you going to think of them?
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    The good thing about all this is that, no matter what other people's OPINIONS are on this matter, the vast majority of states have laws in place that supercede all of them. Almost all states allow a mother to BF wherever they and children are otherwise allowed to be. Period.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Okay let me ask you a question... what is it that makes you feel uncomfortable when a mother is breastfeeding her child in public? How many times have you see it?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

BS! There is nothing harmful or narrow minded about her point of view. Especially considering that she appears to be miles more open minded to differing views than you are. How many times must she state that she is not against breast feeding and supports before her overall view is deemed acceptable? Not once has the OP told anyone they were wrong for their opinion on this topic, but the OP has been repeatedly slammed, insulted, and told to not become a mother. Simply because her choices are different. What is truly harmful is the intolerance shown to those with differing/unpopular opinions.

Thank you for this!
    Okay let me ask you a question... what is it that makes you feel uncomfortable when a mother is breastfeeding her child in public? How many times have you see it?

I've seen it a couple of times myself. What makes me uncomfortable is that to me, feeding a child from your breast, which is a private part of your body, should not be a public act. I don't get why it is so hard to go and find a private room to do it in, or pump (if you can) and bring it with you to the store instead of lifting your shirt and having to have the baby latch on and be exposed like that.
  • KatieCuth
    Options
    Breast feeding, public or not, is natural. Sometimes awkward, but hey, when baby is hungry, would you rather have screaming baby or happy baby? Imagine how you would feel if you weren't allowed to eat in public!

And also how uncomfortable they would feel while sitting in a cafe drinking coffee while the baby is screaming. A screaming child now that is uncomfortable.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The good thing about all this is that, no matter what other people's OPINIONS are on this matter, the vast majority of states have laws in place that supercede all of them. Almost all states allow a mother to BF wherever they and children are otherwise allowed to be. Period.

Laws can change, especially when something is divisive. Also, just because something is protected by a law doesn't mean the social stigma is removed. But yes, at least for now all those who are offended by it luckily can't enforce their feelings.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Laws can change, especially when something is divisive. But yes, at least for now all those who are offended by it luckily can't enforce their feelings.

I don't think it will ever become unlawful. There is just a huge part of the population you would lose if you were a politician who supported it. I'm acknowledging that the majority of people don't feel how I do. I just wish that the people who do BF in public might consider others' feelings before engaging in the act.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options

BS! There is nothing harmful or narrow minded about her point of view. Especially considering that she appears to be miles more open minded to differing views than you are. How many times must she state that she is not against breast feeding and supports before her overall view is deemed acceptable? Not once has the OP told anyone they were wrong for their opinion on this topic, but the OP has been repeatedly slammed, insulted, and told to not become a mother. Simply because her choices are different. What is truly harmful is the intolerance shown to those with differing/unpopular opinions.

Thank you for this!

You are very welcome. I must say, I have to commend you for the maturity you've shown in holding your ground and respectfully disagreeing with others *in spite of your age* that several posters have tried to imply as a handicap.
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I can't even begin to read this whole thread, or care about what most of this has to say, for that matter.

What always gets me is the idea that people both for and against breastfeeding seem to think that it is perfectly acceptable to insist a mother take her baby into a bathroom and feed them there. If that is what you are comfortable with, go right ahead.

My question is whether any one of you would find it acceptable for me to take my sandwich and salad at lunch and go camp out in a stall and eat it. Is there not a single one of you that wouldn't find that incredibly disturbing? seriously GROSS! I don't eat in the bathroom... I don't even bring my lunch in the lunch bag in the bathroom. I don't even bring the water bottle i am going to fill on my way back to the office into the bathroom. Why would I EVER insist that a mother feeding her baby should go hide herself away in the bathroom like she was doing something wrong?

cover yourself... don't cover yourself... do what you are comfortable with. People are going to stare either way. Be prepared to accept it since there isn't much you can do about it. People stare at people in wheelchairs. We are uncouth and complete buffoons... but seriously.... STOP DEMANDING MOTHERS HIDE THEMSELVES AND THEIR CHILDREN AS THOUGH THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF FEEDING THEIR KIDS.

Soon people are going to insist that expecting mothers go back into "confinement" before they give birth... as though they have some disease that is catching. (To be safe... i am just going to stay away from expecting mothers... you know... in case it actually is catching! ;-) )
  • KatieCuth
    Options

Thank you for this!

I've seen it a couple of times myself. What makes me uncomfortable is that to me, feeding a child from your breast, which is a private part of your body, should not be a public act. I don't get why it is so hard to go and find a private room to do it in, or pump (if you can) and bring it with you to the store instead of lifting your shirt and having to have the baby latch on and be exposed like that.

Because private rooms SUCK... it is where mothers also change there babies nappies. Frankly for my SAKE I dont want to sit in there. I would rather be in a cafe and be comfortable feeding my child and not feel like its a chore. If i was at a social gathering at someones house obviously I would move myself away from the group and sit in the lounge etc.

Most women wear tops that are move revealing I know that point has being made, an experienced breast feeding mother can have the baby latch on within seconds.
  • tlsegar
    Options

And also how uncomfortable they would feel while sitting in a cafe drinking coffee while the baby is screaming. A screaming child now that is uncomfortable.

Admittedly, I don't get all warm and fuzzy seeing a woman breastfeed in public. But I'm much more comfortable tolerating an annoyed infant than I am an older child screaming and causing chaos in public. I'm appalled that so many parents today allow their children to behave so unruly. But that's another topic for another thread.
  • KatieCuth
    Options

Admittedly, I don't get all warm and fuzzy seeing a woman breastfeed in public. But I'm much more comfortable tolerating an annoyed infant than I am an older child screaming and causing chaos in public. I'm appalled that so many parents today allow their children to behave so unruly. But that's another topic for another thread.

Ha so true, unruly children, YUCK maybe I just struck lucky with mine she has never caused a public scene EVER....
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Laws can change, especially when something is divisive. But yes, at least for now all those who are offended by it luckily can't enforce their feelings.

I don't think it will ever become unlawful. There is just a huge part of the population you would lose if you were a politician who supported it. I'm acknowledging that the majority of people don't feel how I do. I just wish that the people who do BF in public might consider others' feelings before engaging in the act.

It wouldn't likely become unlawful in many places, but I believe the laws are state laws, which means it just takes a motivated opposing voting force. But, I edited my post to also point out that laws do not remove social stigmas, and there are still social stigmas attached to breastfeeding, so the fact that there's a law is great, but breastfeeding mothers can still be made to feel very uncomfortable when exercising their legally protected right. I also find your choice of words interesting - "engaging in the act" - like it's dirty. And you've stated you're comfortable with bodies in a clinical sense, but clearly not outside a clinical environment, even though we're not talking about sexuality here but nourishing a baby. I just don't get it.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    My goodness, everyone will raise their family how they want!!!

Agree to disagree and leave it alone!!

Breastfeeders go on and feed and just try to cover up!!!

Some people just don't want to see a strangers breast while eating at Applebees!!
  • KatieCuth
    Options
    And some people want to feed there child while having a applebees. The End...
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just know that 90% of the rest of the world thinks you Americans are crazy for even having this debate. :flowerforyou:
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My intake on breastfeeding is that I am perfectly fine with a women breastfeeding in public, but like many have said I prefer her cover up because a) the child I believe needs its privacy as well as the mom and b) its only fair. Not everyone wants to see a womens breast whether it be breast feeding or hanging out of a low cut shirt. You can "exercise your right" to breastfeed your baby without making someone feel uncomfortable.

For me though, when I do have children I choose to not breastfeed my baby. It's my choice just as it is yours to breastfeed. That wouldn't make me a bad mom because I choose to formula feed. Sure breast milk has the best nutrients for a baby, I agree with that, but formula milk has great nutrients to and if it didn't they wouldn't sale it.

Why, you ask? Its just not for me. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. To each their own. But when I get to that point in my life where I am married and having children, I will go into the whole thing with an open mind. I won't shut out completely Breastfeeding because who knows how I will feel once I hold my baby in my hands for the first time maybe I may want to breastfeed:smile:
  • tlsegar
    Options

As other posters have said, I pretty much view it as an act that doesn't have to be shared with the rest of the world. I've seen more than few women breastfeed in public. Some were discreet. Some, not so much. The one incident that is forever burned into my mind was a lady feeding her baby in the middle of the mall. I was probably 16 at the time. There was nothing discreet about it - NOTHING! Chalk it up to teenage immaturity, but I was grossed out by the whole thing. On the other hand, I have no doubt that I've been in presence of the women breast feeding while in public and had absolutely no clue about what was going on. I can't be offended or even have a mild reaction to something I don't know is happening. But whenever I am aware, my mind flashes back to that traumatic experience as a teenager.
  • tlsegar
    Options
    Just know that 90% of the rest of the world thinks you Americans are crazy for even having this debate. :flowerforyou:

As Americans, we could care less what the rest of the world thinks of us. :wink: