January 2012 Ironman Challenge

Let's start the new year with a new fitness challenge:

For those who are starting the new year with new resolutions, welcome!
For those who have been playing along since October, welcome back!

The challenge is to complete Ironman Triathlon mileage in the 31 days of January as follows:
--Running/ Walking 26.2 miles
--Biking 112 miles
--Swimming 2.4 Miles

We'll use this forum all month to log and report our mileage. You can log daily or weekly-- whatever keeps you motivated!

You may modify your mileage goals to suit your specific circumstances (e.g., no bike, no pool access, etc.) but you must SET and declare those goals at the beginning of the month, and it must still be a combination of running/walking, biking, and swimming.

Happy New Year to all!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Because I'm much more a swimmer than I am a runner, I prefer to base my goals based on the approximate total time it takes me to complete Ironman distances (~ 18 hours) divided equally across the three activities (e.g., +-6 hours each).

My January 2012 goals are as follows:

* Running/ Walking 30 miles @ ~5 mph (+- 6 hours)
    * Biking 84 miles @ 14 mph (+- 6 hours)
    * Swimming 9 miles @ 1.5 mph (+- 4 hours)

And I just want to note that for me, the 30 miles walking/running is a personal challenge because I can't really run with my chronic knee condition, but I DO count my ergonometer/ stairmaster miles towards walking/running. My average [brisk!] walking speed is ~3.8 mph, but my average ergonometer speed is just shy of 6 mph, so that means I'll have to do a LOT more of those miles on the ergonometer!
  • james_tew
    james_tew Posts: 18 Member
    I'll jump in on this.
    Because I am in Australia I have convertered it to km.
    My goals will be:
    Running/walking: 42 km
    Riding: 180km
    Swimming: 3 km

I don't know how I am going to go with the bike riding. I have a bike but I am missing some items of clothing mainly bike shorts and a long ride really leaves me unable to get on the bike for a couple of days. I have football training on tues & thurs so I won't be counting the running towards that because I don't have a accurate way of measuring that without wearing my iPhone or garmin gps watch.
    Looking forward to the challenge.

J
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    i'm joining this, because i loved the october challenge, but in november and december i barely hopped on the bike or the pool.
  • james_tew
    james_tew Posts: 18 Member
    Clocked up the first run of the month today, a lazy 2k. I fractured my foot playing gridiron 5 weeks ago so this was the first time I laced up the shoes.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    I'm back in. Love this challenge--my goals this month:

-Swimming 26.2 miles
    -Jogging/Walking (all forms-includes elliptical): 112 miles
    --Biking 2.4 Miles

This is a bit on the aggressive side for me...but i'm going to try...:smile:
  • stefanieswanger
    stefanieswanger Posts: 10 Member
    I am jumping on this month. I thought about jumping on mid month in December but found it too tough to go back and decipher my notes to figure out my distances in each sport.

I am guessing that I will exceed each goal of the 140.6 but I want to take this first month to see how I di before I abridge my goals!

Good luck to all and Happy New Year!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member

-Swimming 26.2 miles
    --Biking 2.4 Miles

I'm either going to assume this is a bit of a typo, or I'm going to be bowing to your swimming and walk/jogging greatness come February first. Either way, good luck!

I botched November, bowed out of December, and can't wait to be back in for January! SO COOL!

Think I'll try for a 1.5X. Don't know if I can, but isn't that what a challenge is for?
    3.6M swim
    168M bike
    39.3M run

Wahoo!!!
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    January goals:
    Swim 10 miles (Way less than January last year (30+) but I haven't swam in some months.)
    Bike more than 180 miles (30 more than December)
    Walk/Run at least 26.2 miles (about double December)

I haven't run in a year, so it'll be mostly walk. I've been trying to let some injuries heal. My walk/run will include treadmill and, if the injuries continue to bother, possibly elliptical.

I'm trying to work out a schedule that will keep be going in all three areas. I need structure, generally.
  • butters1

-Swimming 26.2 miles
    --Biking 2.4 Miles

I'm either going to assume this is a bit of a typo, or I'm going to be bowing to your swimming and walk/jogging greatness come February first. Either way, good luck!

I botched November, bowed out of December, and can't wait to be back in for January! SO COOL!

Think I'll try for a 1.5X. Don't know if I can, but isn't that what a challenge is for?
    3.6M swim
    168M bike
    39.3M run

Wahoo!!!

Not a typo, but it remains to be seen if i can actually do it lol.I'm just feeling mighty good today:wink: Hoping to add to speed rather than time to achieve the jog/walk.....i certaintly have room for improvement. On the swimming, a bit of an increase in both..

Your goal of 1.5x is impressive. 1. anything of those bike miles is huge!:bigsmile:
  • butters1
    1-1: 5 miles ( 2 stairmaster, 3 treadmill) + 50 minutes raquetball with DH. Got him to the gym for free 30 day trial:heart:

Total Jan:

swimming : 0
    Jog/walk: 5
    Bike 0
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    I'm in.

3 m run today.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    I am in again this month. This challenge is a great way to keep me motivated to stick to my workout plan.

Goals for the month

Swimming-4.5 miles
    Biking (including spinning) 135 miles
    Walking/jogging (including ellipitical) 26.2 miles

3 mile walk today a sunny warm 1st day of the year
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    January goals:
    Swim 10 miles (Way less than January last year (30+) but I haven't swam in some months.)
    Bike more than 180 miles (30 more than December)
    Walk/Run at least 26.2 miles (about double December)

I haven't run in a year, so it'll be mostly walk. I've been trying to let some injuries heal. My walk/run will include treadmill and, if the injuries continue to bother, possibly elliptical.

I'm trying to work out a schedule that will keep be going in all three areas. I need structure, generally.

SWIM
    ---

BIKE
    1/1 Bike 6.36 mi 30:30 min (trainer)

WALK/RUN
    1/1 Walk 1.55 mi 30:00 min (treadmill)
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 682 Member
    I'm in....

i'll do the ironman distances and then see how much further i can go..swimming will be the hardest because i'm horrible in the pool.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    I'm in!

-- Running/ Walking - 35 miles
    -- Biking 104.1 miles
    -- Swimming - 1.5 miles

The swimming will be a little bit of a challenge for me - I'm a selfadmitted water baby, but I LOATHE chlorine pools and that's all we've got here. Can't go jump in the lake since it's the middle of winter, so I'll have to suck it up! That, and I haven't swam since June. Oops! Here goes. Good luck everyone!
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    I'm in!
    I used to be a competeive swimmer but I haven't swam a lap since this summer (really messed up hours at the pool this year :/ )
    I'm going to go for total times and I'm going to use an elliptical for the running because I have really bad hips
    going for an even split of 6 hours each (mainly to boost my swimming) and also shoot for 50 mi on the elliptical and 100 on the bike
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 756 Member
    January goal:
    Swim 2.4 miles
    Bike 300 miles
    Run 50 miles

01/01 - Ran 7.03, Bike 12.07 miles

Totals
    Swim = 0 miles
    Bike = 12.07 miles
    Run = 7.03 miles
  • txfamilyof7
    txfamilyof7 Posts: 35 Member
    I would like to try this Ironman Challenge...I've never done anything like this before, but I really want to challenge myself. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a pool, so I will have to limit myself to bike rides & walking/jogging.

I do have access to a bike, but not sure if I will have the opportunity to ride...but, as others have said, the point is to challenge ourselves! So, with that said, here are my goals:

walking/running: 90 miles
    biking: 60 miles

I'm not sure about the biking, because if it's raining, I'm not going for a bike ride! LOL But, I'm estimating a 2 mile ride per day.

Let's see how I do with these challenges, and maybe I'll be able to do more next month!!
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Hi January Ironfolk!

Im Back for another monthly challenge too :happy:

Goals? Just consistency, 3 swims, 3 runs, 3 bikes & 2 strength sessions each week minimum. Let's see what that adds upto by the end of the month.

I'll kick off with my first run of 2012:

2nd Jan, run 10.35 miles

Totals

Swim = 0.0 miles
    Bike = 0.0miles
    Run = 10.35 miles
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I love this....I would like to join. I will log my miles and keep up. This is a great idea. I love me a tri. :)