50+ WOMEN FOR THE MONTH OF MAY

Options

Replies

• Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Hi everyone

Boy I sure wish we had the weather some of you have. Today is sunny but is only 5 C
    My brother in law's 65th had to be moved to Sunday because on Saturday we had 70 km/hr winds and snow. - Not great for bbq'ing Sunday was much better and a good time was had by all. A funny thing happened to me at the party, I had one bite of my burger and decided that it didn't taste good enough to take up the room I could use for the delicious salads!! So i tossed out my burger, loaded up with healthy salad and had a small piece of cake. And the learning curve continues.....
    Sadly my bil ended up in hospital yesterday with breathing problems. Not a good birthday for him. I hope he will be okay but has been admitted for tests and is on oxygen.

My foot is still giving me the what for but I just discovered something, if I walk faster it hurts more but the thing is I will only burn 30 cals more walking for 60 minutes at 2.5 mph vs. 60 minutes at 3 mph. So that's doable for me and just about the same benefit. As soon as I can I will increase my pace in an effort to get to doing 4 miles in 60 mins.

I had a maintain at my Saturday weigh in.

Have a great day

Heather
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. I just finished reading all of your posts. I love reading about each and every one of you. It is a beautiful morning here. We were in the 80's and 90's last week and this week it is pleasant in the 60's. Our weather is always crazy until summer truly gets here. I love the cool weather, just stops my swims for a while. But walks are much more pleasant. I weigh in tomorrow so I am hoping for a few more pounds shed. I feel much lighter and I go into my skinny jeans this week. I am hoping to be under 200 by the time we go on our trip ( June 10th to Nashville for Country Music Festival). I am close but hope I make it. Just a mini goal to reach. I love talking to you ladies. It really keeps me on track, hearing about all of the different ways you exercise and lose. sounds like you all are enjoying your 50+ years as much as I do. Talk to you later. Have to go pick up granddaughter at pre-school.
    Vicki:heart:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Heather, take it slow. Don't over do it with your foot. I have had several problems with my shins and ended up in a cast for weeks a very few years ago. I over did it with walking and that's where it got me. Slow is better.

:heart: Kathy
  • Benson
    Options
    Thanks Kathy

I keep trying to tell myself that too Its better to go slow than be laid up altogether. I'm just getting so sick of my little bag of aches and pains:laugh:

Heather
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Benson..congratulations on chosing the salad over the burger. Great willpower. I know what you mean about just not wanting that stuff in you. One thing I noticed (and this was three years ago when I broke my shoulder) is that we don't heal as fast as we did when younger. Bummer !!

:flowerforyou: Vicki..A goal like the one you have for losing for your trip may be just what you need. Good luck.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I have the motorhome to myself for a few hours. The good thing about our RV trips is that we get to spend so much time together. The bad thing about motorhome trips is that we spend so much time together.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jake is having lunch with a friend and I'm fixing chicken and broccoli for me. As soon as I put the chicken in the oven, I realized that I don't like to leave the motorhome with the oven going so going out for a walk wasn't a choice.

i put on a movie, got out a bottle of water, and walked up and down in the motorhome. After 10 minutes of walking and 16 ounces of water I decided that I could check in with all of you.

I am a fan of the hare (in "The Tortoise and the Hare"). I believe that slow and steady wins the race. It's too easy to quit the race if you overdo or set impossible goals.

We continue to do well at avoiding recreational eating. We visited friends yesterday at their home and told them not to worry about food and drink. We brought our own water and had a lovely visit. Later we went with friends to a restaurant that is famous for its giant desserts and high calorie foods and had a cup of chamomile tea.

when I was at line dance yesterday there was a huge TV in the back of the room and when I was facing it and dancing and saw my reflection I smiled instead of looking away like I've always done with mirrors.:bigsmile:

Heather---your burger story reminds me of the day I realized that Kentucky Fried Chicken was too salty for me. It was much later that I found out how many calories it has.:laugh:

Now it's time for more water and walking before my lunch is ready.

Barbie
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI EVERYONE,

BECKY, ORE IDA MAKES THE FAT FREE HASH BROWNS. IS IT AT ALL POSSIBLE FOR YOU NOT TO ALLOW TOO LONG A TIME BETWEEN MEALS? ONE OF THE RULES OF DIETING IS NEVER FEEL HUNGRY. IF YOU DO YOU GRAB AT ANYTHING AND JUST DON'T HAVE TIME TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU SHOULD BE EATING. IT CAUSES LOTS OF NO NO FOODS TO TAKE OVER. :explode:

ELLI, MY B'DAY IS MAY 25TH, THANKS. GLAD YOU ENJOYED YOUR SPECIAL DAY. WE ALL ASK THAT QUESTION, WHY DO WE GAIN SO FAST AND TAKE SO LONG TO LOSE. I JUST DON'T KNOW.
    GLAD YOU ARE STILL WITH US.:laugh:

SUSAN, GLAD YOU HAD A GOOD TIME AND STAYED ON TRACK:smile: . LIQUID DIETS USUALLY DON'T WORK. THE WEIGHT COMES BACK SIMPLY BECAUSE THE PERSON DID NOT LEARN HOW TO CHANGE THEIR LIFE STYLE. I HOPE THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN TO YOUR FRIEND.

MARIE, STRENGTH AND ENDURANCE ARE WHAT I WANT MOST FROM EXERCISING. I WAS STRONG,BUT NOW I'M A WEAKLING. I AM VERY HAPPY FOR YOU, I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL. :smile:

KATHY, MY FRIEND RETURNS FROM HER TRIP AT THE END OF MAY AND I WILL JOIN PLANET FITNESS WITH HER. MY DAUGHTER IN LAW IS AN RN AND HAS BEEN WORKING A LOT. SHE WANTS TO JOIN TOO. IF SHE CAN GET A DAY OFF,I CAN GO WITH HER. GLAD YOU MADE IT TODAY. I KNOW IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO YOU. I CAN FEEL YOUR EXCITEMENT ABOUT THE MURAL AND I KNOW IT WILL BE WONDERFUL.:smile:

VICKI, WISH YOU A GOOD WEIGH IN TOMORROW. GREAT THAT YOU FIT INTO THE SKINNY JEANS.:flowerforyou:

HEATHER, GOOD CHOICE, SALAD INSTEAD OF THE BURGER.:smile: HOPE YOUR FOOT GETS ALL BETTER SOON. SORRY TO HEAR YOUR BIL WENT TO THE HOSPITAL AND HOPE EVERYTHING WILL BE OK. (WHEN YOU SAY YOUR BIL, TO WHOM ARE YOU REFERRING?) SORRY, I DID SEE A POST FROM YOU WITH BIL IN IT,BUT I NEVER KNEW EXACTLY WHO IT WAS.

I HAD MY WEIGH IN AT WW AND I LOST 2LBS. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I AM PRETTY HAPPY ABOUT THAT.

GOOD EVENING ALL, ANNE
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Got to hand it to you Barbie. I don't think I would do very well on vacation.

Anne, I don't usually let my stomach ever get empty. I just had to go about 20 hours without food yesterday because of the surgery. I knew I would have trouble. I think it cruel to make me go so long without food.
  • vickim26
    Options
    Goof Job on the weight Anne. I hope I do as well tomorrow.
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    BECKY,

I DID NOT REALIZE YOU HAD SURGERY. DID I MISS YOUR POST ABOUT IT? HOPE IT WENT WELL.

VICKI, THANKS.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    That's OK Anne. I guess that I thought that everyone knew. I have had two surgeries this year. I hoping yesterday's was the last.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

HEATHER, GOOD CHOICE, SALAD INSTEAD OF THE BURGER.:smile: HOPE YOUR FOOT GETS ALL BETTER SOON. SORRY TO HEAR YOUR BIL WENT TO THE HOSPITAL AND HOPE EVERYTHING WILL BE OK. (WHEN YOU SAY YOUR BIL, TO WHOM ARE YOU REFERRING?) SORRY, I DID SEE A POST FROM YOU WITH BIL IN IT,BUT I NEVER KNEW EXACTLY WHO IT WAS.

I think I can help solve this mystery. "BIL" is short for "brother in law". There is also, "MIL" for "mother in law"; "SIL" for "sister in law" and "DIL" for "daughter in law". Don't feel bad, it took me a while to figure it out :laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I read thru everybody's posts, but have had no time to sit down and respond. So far I am able to get into 5 pair of pants that used to be too small--a good feeling.

Today, I never had lunch because I wasn't hungry. By the time the day was over, I had about 850 calories and with my exercise calories, there were another 900 available that I didn't eat. I am trying to "bank" a few calories this week because on Saturday I am going up to visit the friends who gave me Pepper. This is the same place where we had that infamous birthday party that involved travelling in a small car with 4 dogs and 2 rotisserie chickens--not to mention all that birthday cake that I didn't eat.:happy:

They have an outdoor pool and it should be warm enough for us to enjoy it.:glasses: :glasses: We are planning grilled chicken and shrimp, grilled vegetables, various types of adult beverages, :drinker: :drinker: and an undetermined dessert. I plan to enjoy myself and not obsess over calories. It will be my zig zag day. How much of a zig will depend upon what the scale tells me on Saturday morning. I have 4 lbs to reach my goal for Memorial Day, so it will be close. I finally DID lose a pound after all that activity last weekend.:drinker:

I went for a walk this evening on the walking trail near my home. You can almost set a clock by the frogs in the wetlands adjacent to the trail. Promptly at 9p, they start the "Croaky Chorus," and I could have stayed for a while and listened, but wanted to get back to the end of the trail before it was completely dark.

You may have seen an ad on the "Food" page of MFP for the book entitled "Diet Myths That Keep you Fat" by Nancy Snyderman. I took a closer look at it and found an excerpt that we can all learn from in terms of unlearning old habits and attitudes. Here it is:

"......So now I have an easy rule. I regard food as fuel. I eat
    foods I like– even some things that might not be so good
    for me. As a result, I find it easier to lose weight– I just eat
    a bit less and exercise a bit more and it falls off. I’m not
    a member of a health club– it’s just not my thing. I prefer
    walking, hiking, or biking outdoors to keep fit. I watch my
    weight, but I’m not obsessive about it. And I wouldn’t
    deny myself something I really wanted. Every week, I
    try to enjoy something from each of my four favorite food
    groups: the chocolate group, the ice- cream group, the
    pizza group, and the chips group. But most of the time, I
    choose healthy foods. Do I have a perfect body? Far from
    it– but I know I’m healthy. ......."

Food for thought, if you'll pardon the pun.

Good night for now. :yawn: As usual, I am going to bed too late again.

Barb
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    GOOD WEDNESDAY MORNING ALL,

HEATHER, BARB EXPLAINED THE BIL. I NEED TO KEEP THE COMPUTER ABBREVIATIONS IN FRONT OF ME. :laugh: DO HOPE YOUR BIL IS FEELING BETTER AND OUT OF THE HOSPITAL.

BARB, THANKS FOR THE HELP, I NEED IT. :laugh: THAT'S A GOOD BIT OF INFO AND ADVICE YOU PROVIDED EVERYONE WITH. SO GREAT THAT YOU LOST ANOTHER POUND AND CAN FIT
    INTO 5, COUNT THEM, 5 PAIR OF PANTS.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

TODAY I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE SOMETHING I FEEL HELPED ME "WAKE UP" AND DO WELL.
    THIS IS FROM MY FAVORITE BOOK ON LOSING WEIGHT.

THE BIGGEST CAUSE OF EXCESS POUNDS IS NOT FOOD. IT'S NOT EVEN A BEHAVIOR, IT'S MINDSET. A MENTAL HABIT THAT REACTS TO A DIET SLIP BY GIVING UP. WHEN DIETERS CHEAT ,
    THIS ONE ERROR TENDS TO BECOME A REASON TO STOP ALL THEIR EFFORTS AT WEIGHT CONTROL. INSTEAD OF ASKING WHAT CAN I LEARN FROM THIS? - THEY SAY, WELL, I BLEW IT. I MIGHT AS WELL BLOW THE REST OF THE DAY, WEEKEND OR LONGER. THIS I BLEW IT SYNDROME IS DIFFERENT FROM THE MOMENTARY FEELING OF I BLEW IT , WHICH WE ALL MAY GET AFTER EATING TOO MUCH. WINNERS CERTAINLY HAVE HAD THIS FEELING ABOUT A PARTICULAR MEAL OR FOOD. BUT, THEY BECOME MORE CAREFUL AND BALANCE THE EXCESS WITH SMART EATING. FAILURES SAY I BLEW IT AND LET THEIR MENTAL SCREENS GO BLANK. THEIR EATING GETS CARELESS AND THIS CARELESSNESS ENGULFS THE DAY. THIS IS THE I BLEW IT SYNDROME. (THIS WAS ME ALL THE TIME, FOR YEARS). SOMETHING IN YOU SAYS THAT YOU MIGHT AS WELL EAT ALL YOU CAN FOR THE REST OF THE DAY SO YOU CAN GET IT ALL IN BEFORE GOING BACK ON YOUR DIET. MANY PEOPLE APPROACH WEIGHT CONTROL WITH THE IDEA THEY WILL EITHER BE PERFECT OR PERFECTLY HORRIBLE. WHEN YOU DO MAKE A MISTAKE, AND WE ALL DO, DON'T CONTINUE AND MAKE THE FATAL MISTAKE OF SAYING I BLEW THE DAY. BECAUSE THIS SYNDROME IS THE DIVIDING LINE BETWEEN THOSE WHO LOSE WEIGHT ONLY TO GAIN IT BACK AND THOSE WHO KEEP IT OFF FOREVER.

I HAVE TO SAY THAT I HAVE READ ABOUT TIMES THE PEOPLE HERE HAVE SLIPPED AND THEY SEEM TO GET A GRIP ON THINGS PRETTY FAST. THE ABOVE MAY HELP SOMEONE , WHO LIKE ME, WAS NOT REALIZING WHY THE WEIGHT ALWAYS CAME BACK, OR WHY THE PLAN NEVER LASTED LONG.

WISH YOU ALL A PLEASANT DAY.:flowerforyou:
    ANNE
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning Ladies,

Well, it looks like I may lose a solid pound this month. I am very happy. I am happy because I have found the secret in my life that keeps me going. I have found that hard work and keeping positive works. I know I might never reach my goal of 130 but maybe 130 is to thin for me. I don't know yet. But, I sure am happy where I am at this point. I will keep trying. I may be one of the oldest on this site that has not really lost all their weight but I don't care. I am losing and that is the goal.

:glasses: FABULOUS FIFTIES. AREN'T WE LUCKY:glasses:

Life has thrown me curve balls and I have managed to keep my chin up and move on. Something that seemed to be difficult a few years ago.

I love my life and I would not change it. Well, maybe a few things. :bigsmile: Money would be nice:laugh: :laugh:

But now that I have worked on myself for over one year on this site I sure can cope with problems easier.

Thanks to all. I love reading the post, Some posts, make me laugh some make me cry. Great knowing all of you.

:heart: Kathy
  • sage30906
    sage30906 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    I am new, I'm 49, and one of my goals are, not to eat late at night, and also do more walking. :bigsmile:
  • vickim26
    Options
    welcome Sage,
    YOu wil love this site. I joined this group a few weeks ago and they keep me going. Just keep reading the blogs and respond when you can. You will love it and it will keep you going.
    Good morning ladies, My weigh in was this morning. I weigh in at 206.9. That is down 2.7 since last week. I cannot believe it. You ladies are a huge part of my success. My total is 29 pounds. Keep yourselves going ladies and you will see results. Have a great day. Thanks for all of the articles and advice.
    Vicki:smile:
  • Benson
    Options
    Morning all!!

Today is supposed to be 25C here but it sure doesn't look like it now. The sky is cloudy and there was actually 'thick' rain falling. Things change quickly.

Welcome Sage I hope you visit often.

Vicki - wow that's great to lose almost 3 lbs in one week. You must feel great.:flowerforyou:

Anne - funny you should bring that up today - on Monday night I fell into that "i blew it" trap. I was already slightly over on calories and thought to myself - well I'm back at it tomorrow so I'd better have that ice cream today:laugh: :laugh: The thing is, I am so much more aware of what goes in my mouth and have really tried to adapt the "food for fuel only" attitude.

Unfortunately, my brother-in-law did not get released from the hospital. They have to do further investigation on a spot/shadow they saw on his lung. His color has come back - I guess due to having oxygen. He may well have to have a little oxygen thing as his constant companion but that would be the 'good' news. I can tell my sister is barely holding it together and trying not to think the worst. They are fortunate to be surrounded by people who love them and we will support them through whatever the future holds.

Have a great day

Heather
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

You may have seen an ad on the "Food" page of MFP for the book entitled "Diet Myths That Keep you Fat" by Nancy Snyderman. I took a closer look at it and found an excerpt that we can all learn from in terms of unlearning old habits and attitudes. Here it is:

"......So now I have an easy rule. I regard food as fuel. I eat
    foods I like– even some things that might not be so good
    for me. As a result, I find it easier to lose weight– I just eat
    a bit less and exercise a bit more and it falls off. I’m not
    a member of a health club– it’s just not my thing. I prefer
    walking, hiking, or biking outdoors to keep fit. I watch my
    weight, but I’m not obsessive about it. And I wouldn’t
    deny myself something I really wanted. Every week, I
    try to enjoy something from each of my four favorite food
    groups: the chocolate group, the ice- cream group, the
    pizza group, and the chips group. But most of the time, I
    choose healthy foods. Do I have a perfect body? Far from
    it– but I know I’m healthy. ......."

Food for thought, if you'll pardon the pun.

Good night for now. :yawn: As usual, I am going to bed too late again.

Barb
    I like your approach. I have a very hard time denying myself - makes me want the bad choices even more. Your approach allows everything and seems to be more about timing/moderation. Maybe if I know I can have anything once a week, I'll make better choices most of the time. I'm up for trying anything at this point since I am almost at my all -time high other than pregnancy.
    Zaza
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    I haven't been on in a few days and am trying to catch up. I can relate to what Anne was saying about blowing it. I felt great on Sat. morning and then it all went by the wayside as the day and week-end progressed. My husband brought home doughnuts on Sun morning and, just as Anne described, as long as I blew it I was really going to blow it. Last night was more of the same as we went out to dinner to celebrate our 31st wedding anniversary. I just felt like I have to get it out of my system (all the food, not my husband:laugh: ).
    Even tho all the junk and excessive food is making me feel sick, I just have to get to the point that I am so disgusted that I'll stop. I did the same thing when I quit smoking a lifetime ago, and it worked then. I managed to quit smoking for over 30 years and no relapse at all. Why can't I do this w/eating?:grumble:
    To make matters worse, my back is out so no exercise. I'm not feeling sorry for myself just mad at myself. :mad: But, I can change this and I am taking heart from all your posts and am going to keep trying to do better.
    In the meantime, I wanted to say welcome to sage30906. :flowerforyou: This is a terrific site with many wonderful people as you've discovered by now.
    Becky, I didn't realize either that you'd had surgery. How are you doing?:flowerforyou:
    Heather, I hope your bil is doing better. :flowerforyou:
    Reading some of the posts on mfp underscores how much we have to be grateful for. Makes me realize that my bad habits are just nonsense and that I have to kick the bad habits. There are so many serious issues and this is something I should be able to control.
    Congratulations to all of you have made such wonderful progress in this journey. You continue to inspire me.
    Zaza