Real women have curves - curves do not equal rolls

Options

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    but, also, real women can be very thin, some people naturally are. All women are real women regardless of their body size and shape.

Indeed!
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Real women are healthy
  • f15htank
    f15htank Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I hate the phrase. Nobody can judge what a "real woman" is based on a body type. It seems to support fat body acceptance, which we need in this society, but it implies that a skinny woman is not "real", something you don't want to be. Bashing on any body type is a no.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I have an hourglass figure, and I have my entire life (even in 6th grade lol early bloomer). Large chest, large, bony hips, narrower waist. I hate it when people equate "curves" to a nicer way of saying "rolls". I don't have rolls. I never had rolls. But I do have "curves".

And those of you that really wish you had an hourglass, it has it's own annoying parts. Like trying to buy a shirt, but only being able to have it fit your boobs or your waist. To get one big enough for your boobs, it's HUGE on the waist. To get one to fit your waist, it looks awkwardly tight in the chest. To get pants that fit over your hips, they are much bigger than your waist etc. But corsets fit well. :)

I hear ya on the clothes buying! My favorite style of shirt never fits right. And finding a properly fitting pair of jeans..*sigh*
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Real women are healthy

Not only do I have small boobs but I also have hypothyroidism! So I'm a double non-woman! LOL

Not picking on you, just pointing out that there is no "real women" quotes that work.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    By curves I don't think of Jessica Beil. She's extremely toned and doesn't have an hourglass figure. When CURVES comes to mind I think of...

3.jpg

Or Christina Hendricks from Mad Men
    MadMen_1567173c.jpg

Or Jlo
    Jennifer-Lopez-in-Bikini.jpg
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Here is my $0.02, for what it's worth...

I have been a coach for both Girls on the Run and Girls on Track. It's a program in the US that teaches girls in grades 3-5 (for GoTR) and 6-8 (for GoT) not only to run, but also to understand and embrace our differences as females. One of the very first lessons we teach the girls in both programs is about the "Girl Box." It's the box we put ourselves in where we're not ____ enough because we are too _____.

For some of the girls, they're not beautiful enough because they're too fat. They're not beautiful enough because they're too thin. They're not smart enough, they're not happy enough, they're not whatever their personal limitation is that they think prevents them from being whatever it is they have as their Girl Box standard.

The idea of curves being beautiful, making you a real woman, making you better than another woman, is a Girl Box idea. If I had a daughter, I would never, ever, ever let her think that any of those Girl Box ideas were acceptable.

If you have a straight body, if you have a curvy body, if you have a triangle body, if you have an apple body, it is your body and you should love it. You can be obese, love yourself, but know that you need to get healthier. The reason one makes those changes shouldn't be because you're not (thin/curvy/beautiful) enough. You can break out of the girl box and actually be OK with how you look, regardless if you are working to change that.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but Jessica B. barely qualifies as a woman having "real" curves. To me, she's just plain skinny. Yeah, she's got a nice little tush and real breasts, but "curvy" she is not.

Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Hudson (now, not before lol) are the epitome of women with real curves. They're slim and tight, yet voluptuous and healthy. Jessica B. is slim and toned... not curvy.

Just my opinion.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • mhamlin
    mhamlin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I think of curves I think of Marilyn Monroe or Betty Page!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    By curves I don't think of Jessica Beil. She's extremely toned and doesn't have an hourglass figure. When CURVES comes to mind I think of...

3.jpg

Or Christina Hendricks from Mad Men
    MadMen_1567173c.jpg

Or Jlo
    Jennifer-Lopez-in-Bikini.jpg

YES! Thank you! THAT is what it means to be CURVY!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    ....I want curves....

Right now they are under all my rolls!
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options
    I agree!

I hate ad campaigns that celebrate "real women" but still show unhealthy, obese women. Dove soap comes to mind.

I don't know that I would consider any one of the women on the Dove commercials "obese." They're probably more at the higher end of their BMI.

This.^^^^^

I particularly enjoy the Dove ads and think they're beautiful.

NONE of the women on Dove Soap commericals are obese....this BIGGEST woman on there was probably a size 14/16
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I also heard somewhere that "curves" on women mean she has a defined waist, with larger hips and bust. If you're obese, most likely your waist has been lost.

Yay!.. I got curves!!! :laugh:

When I was 12st 7 my whole middle seemed to be the same width with a huge tummy sticking out! .. I can't tell you how excited I was to see my sides curve in! ... still got a bit more tummy to lose, hoping to have it bit more toned by time I reach my goal weight.
    I don't mind hips and boobs though!
  • mistersmithsbox
    Options
    YOU ARE A REAL WOMEN IF YOU SAY YOU ARE. You don't have to be a specific size, shape, biological sex, or have a vagina. (You people have completely erased transwomen and intersexed women - congrats!) I can't believe this thread is filled with such exclusionary ignorance. OMFG...

To have curves requires an adequate distance (usually at least 12") between bust-waist-hips. You can be a curvy skeleton, average person, obese person, anything! It's measurements and shapes NOT a number on a scale.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I agree!

I hate ad campaigns that celebrate "real women" but still show unhealthy, obese women. Dove soap comes to mind.

I don't know that I would consider any one of the women on the Dove commercials "obese." They're probably more at the higher end of their BMI.

This.^^^^^

I particularly enjoy the Dove ads and think they're beautiful.

NONE of the women on Dove Soap commericals are obese....this BIGGEST woman on there was probably a size 14/16

When I fit into a size 14/16, I was at the low end of obese or the high end of overweight. It doesn't take much to be considered obese. I'm barely at what is considered the normal level right now, and I have 25% body fat. BMI is an arbitrary number.

I think that the point of the Dove ads isn't that "fat" or "overweight" is beautiful. I think it's about embracing yourself because you are beautiful, inside and out. You should love your body, no matter the skin you're in, because it's yours and the only one you'll have. Loving yourself can also mean working towards a body composition that isn't more beautiful, but more healthy. There should be a huge distinction between the two.

Did I love looking at myself at 184.5 pounds? No. Did I still love myself? Yes. I have to live with me everyday, and if I can't love myself, then it makes for a pretty miserable existence! THAT is what I get from the Dove campaign. Not that it is OK to be overweight or fat. That it's OK to love myself no matter my shape or size, because that is arbitrary and can be changed. :)

(edited to fix quotes)
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Real women are healthy

Not only do I have small boobs but I also have hypothyroidism! So I'm a double non-woman! LOL

Not picking on you, just pointing out that there is no "real women" quotes that work.

Are you doing the best you can to take care of yourself? I would consider that healthy

Also I think healthy is more than just working out and eating healthy too....It's also mental. I may not be the best at working out and eating right but I am trying. I also try to be compassionate and sensitive to those around me and I do to my best to take care of the people I love so I would consider that to be mentally healthy
  • emmaline8
    emmaline8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE A REAL WOMEN IF YOU SAY YOU ARE. You don't have to be a specific size, shape, biological sex, or have a vagina. (You people have completely erased transwomen and intersexed women - congrats!) I can't believe this thread is filled with such exclusionary ignorance. OMFG...

To have curves requires an adequate distance (usually at least 12") between bust-waist-hips. You can be a curvy skeleton, average person, obese person, anything! It's measurements and shapes NOT a number on a scale.

Exactly.
  • flabtofitness
    flabtofitness Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    im a Curvy girl in search for my curves again!!! add my blog on facebook. remeber you dont need to be good to start , just start to be good. ive had a baby and went up to 19stone, im now under 16stone! ive set up a facebook blog called Flab to fitness, come and like my page, i put on articles about loosing weight ect and also my daily activity ect. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flab-to-Fit-ness/143274295783336 is th link. ive still got 6 stone to loose but im glad ive made this change xx
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm a fake woman then... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Real women are healthy

So what's a fake women?