Teacher Criticisms...(rant)

Options

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Why is that even a topic on a fitness forum??

Well said. I couldn't agree more! I currently teach in a private school, but have also worked in public. It doesn't matter what type of school it is, teaching is tough... and those who do it well, do it because we love our job and our students.

Chit chat forum. People can post what they please and besides, teachers have to vent, right?
    I mean a bunch of fat people rant about nonchalant crap, why can't teachers rant?
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    i just saw on another post the mention of teachers 'snivelling' for more money when they are not getting results. this kind of thing burns just burns me up.

i can't stand it when people who have never stuck a toe in the education field go on about how teachers are lazy, get paid for nothing in the summer, and are only babysitting anyways, so how hard can it really be?

then you have the people who want to run education like a business, and if you don't get the results, you don't get the pay. if education was a business, teachers could fire and hire the students based on their performance. but no. we don't get that option.

we teach *everyone*, no matter what. even if they only show up to school once a week. even if their parents cuss us out on the phone and tell us that *their* child is *our* problem when they are at school. even if a student consistently refuses to lift a finger because they just do not care. and we are still held accountable for a student's testing scores even if they were expelled from school for 150 days out of 180.

there are always going to be teachers who drop the ball and don't do their part, but the majority of us never give up on those students who have already given up on themselves. we keep hoping that one day they might open their book, write something down and learn something.

boo to people that criticize the general educator populace without ever having taught. if you haven't stood in front of a class of 20 to 30 students and taught, you really have no idea. :grumble:

My little brother who is 6 has at least an hour home work every day gets notes on his home work back saying things like "Not Creative enough" or "Too Sloppy" and rarely do we see "Good Job". Now thats just one teacher. My little brother dispite being at school all day and than working on homework for at least an hour every day still does poorly. So whose to blame?

I think there are a lot of teachers out there who do things that make the system frustrating. Theres the teacher that hits the student and than it goes up on youtube and than the whole school is looked down upon.

Theres the teacher who swears in class and bam theres a law suite.

Theres the teacher who gives out RACIST homework and causes an up roar in Georgia.

Dont be frustrated because parents want you teach a certain way. Most parents dont know how to teach their children, let alone even help them with their homework. Things a 5th grader is doing now are things I didnt do until highschool.

As far as a child "not lifting a finger". Its a teachers job to motivate AS WELL as a parents. Being a teacher I would thinkmeans being able to teach all different children, even the ones that seem hopeless.

You would think that if a child does not want to lift a finger you would look into it.. Maybe they have a learning disablilty and need extra help or put in a different class.

I dont understand why people become teachers who dont have patience for children.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I spent several years barely making ends meet as an adjunct instructor, just picking up classes at whatever local colleges had openings. I was sometimes teaching 6 or 7 classes per quarter and making around $30,000 per year. Teaching is hard work. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    We have proven that it can be done, and done successfully. For parents who get no joy from the public school system, and given your numbers above, I would expect that number to be in the millions, that is a very signficant thing to prove. When we started homeschooling we had lots of doubts. We certainly don't anymore.

Bytheway, 60 milliion people in private schools? Where did you get that figure. I would have thought the vast majority would be in public schools.
    [/quote]

I admire people who homeschool their own children, but homeschooling isn't for everyone for various different reasons. As a former teacher before becoming a SAHM, I KNOW that I could never homeschool my own children,
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    Bytheway, 60 milliion people in private schools? Where did you get that figure. I would have thought the vast majority would be in public schools.

yep, and a good reason for your suprise: it's only *six* million - sorry about that. :blushing: the vast majority are in public!

here is the link, though - still some interesting stuff: http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    i just saw on another post the mention of teachers 'snivelling' for more money when they are not getting results. this kind of thing burns just burns me up.

i can't stand it when people who have never stuck a toe in the education field go on about how teachers are lazy, get paid for nothing in the summer, and are only babysitting anyways, so how hard can it really be?

then you have the people who want to run education like a business, and if you don't get the results, you don't get the pay. if education was a business, teachers could fire and hire the students based on their performance. but no. we don't get that option.

we teach *everyone*, no matter what. even if they only show up to school once a week. even if their parents cuss us out on the phone and tell us that *their* child is *our* problem when they are at school. even if a student consistently refuses to lift a finger because they just do not care. and we are still held accountable for a student's testing scores even if they were expelled from school for 150 days out of 180.

there are always going to be teachers who drop the ball and don't do their part, but the majority of us never give up on those students who have already given up on themselves. we keep hoping that one day they might open their book, write something down and learn something.

boo to people that criticize the general educator populace without ever having taught. if you haven't stood in front of a class of 20 to 30 students and taught, you really have no idea. :grumble:

My little brother who is 6 has at least an hour home work every day gets notes on his home work back saying things like "Not Creative enough" or "Too Sloppy" and rarely do we see "Good Job". Now thats just one teacher. My little brother dispite being at school all day and than working on homework for at least an hour every day still does poorly. So whose to blame?

I think there are a lot of teachers out there who do things that make the system frustrating. Theres the teacher that hits the student and than it goes up on youtube and than the whole school is looked down upon.

Theres the teacher who swears in class and bam theres a law suite.

Theres the teacher who gives out RACIST homework and causes an up roar in Georgia.

Dont be frustrated because parents want you teach a certain way. Most parents dont know how to teach their children, let alone even help them with their homework. Things a 5th grader is doing now are things I didnt do until highschool.

As far as a child "not lifting a finger". Its a teachers job to motivate AS WELL as a parents. Being a teacher I would thinkmeans being able to teach all different children, even the ones that seem hopeless.

You would think that if a child does not want to lift a finger you would look into it.. Maybe they have a learning disablilty and need extra help or put in a different class.

I dont understand why people become teachers who dont have patience for children.

you're confusing me. i think you might have missed the boat on my post.
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    I think we proved that formal schooling, in particular public schooling is not necessary. We are big advocates of parents taking responsibility for their kids' education.

:noway:

whoa, you have proved nothing! there were 49.4 million public school students and 60 million private school students enrolled in 2010. your experience with your own two children prove nothing in the face of these huge numbers and varied circumstance that each student might come from!

the only thing you have proved is that you seem to be a great parent who did what worked for your kids, and you were lucky that they didn't write you and your good intentions off with hormonal teenage angst. so kudos to you for that, but that's about the end of the line for that.

We have proven that it can be done, and done successfully. For parents who get no joy from the public school system, and given your numbers above, I would expect that number to be in the millions, that is a very signficant thing to prove. When we started homeschooling we had lots of doubts. We certainly don't anymore.

well, sure, and every student who has gone through public school to land at an ivy league college has proved that can be done successfully. but you have in no way proved that homeschooling is the bandaid that education needs. it was successful for you, and it has been successful for others, but it in no way proves that homeschooling is the ticket that every student needs.

and in case you missed my earlier note, the 60 million should be *six* million. kind of backwards from the time i once said the population of france had about four million women instead of *40* million. it's my schtick, apparently.
  • Mama06
    Mama06 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<< Homeschooling parent... Guess yelling at my wife is out of the question huh? :laugh:

hooray for home education! :-D
  • Mama06
    Mama06 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

THIS! I educate adults (in fitness) and even they whine and give up! Over half the adult US population is overweight and that directly affects their health in most cases. If people give up on one of the most important things in their life (health), why would you expect their children to have great discipline?
    Yes there are some bad teachers, but all in all our direction in this country should be more money for education and less to programs like US Senator program. We'd save 450 billion a year on a program that hasn't done much to improve US government since 1964.
    Don't bag on teachers. Children's education and discipline to learn starts at home.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I fully agree that parents should be responsible for their kids' education. We homeschooled our kids even though we had the option of an upscale and supposedly good school system, which we thought sucked big time. It was run like a concentration camp. But I digress.

My son, as I have said prviously is 19 years old, has an Honors degree from our state university, and is presently in his first year of law school - youngest student ever admitted to that law school. My daughter is 16, has already earned (though not yet received) her Associates Degree and will be entering our state university as a junior next Fall. Both kids skipped grade school and high school, and both were homeschooled. I think we proved that formal schooling, in particular public schooling is not necessary. We are big advocates of parents taking responsibility for their kids' education.

In addition I have taught Latin for homeschoolers and had more than 20 kids. I was also an adjunct for a graduate professional school where I taught adults for 10 years. So I know what teaching is.

again i say- hooray for home education!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I was public school student from K - law school. I'm successful. So public schools must be the fix we need......oh wait......?!?!?
  • GkMusic
    GkMusic Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    OP. Wow. From one teacher to another, THANK YOU FOR THIS POST! We can talk to others about our jobs until we're blue in the face and some people still wouldn't understand. Teaching is an incredibly stressful (yet rewarding) job. I don't think anyone has any business trying to analyze someone's job unless they have actually walked a day in that person's shoes.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

There's no way I was going to read 19 pages worth of responses but I'd like to say BRAVO! Teachers work hard. My sister-in-law and her husband are both teachers and work just as hard as anyone else I know.

That being said... I think teachers unions need to be disbanded before they bancrupt the communities that are paying the teachers' salaries. That same sister-in-law and her husband? Both public school teachers with 4 children age 5 or younger living in a $500,000+ brand new house on 7 acres of land with 2 dogs, a cat, 3 cars between them and a refrigerator full of organic foods. My husband and I are not much younger and working comparable jobs (graphic artist and admin assistant) and are nowhere near being able to afford those types of luxuries. THAT is when you know that there's something wrong with the system. And it's not necessarily the teachers' faults that things have gotten that way.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options

There's no way I was going to read 19 pages worth of responses but I'd like to say BRAVO! Teachers work hard. My sister-in-law and her husband are both teachers and work just as hard as anyone else I know.

That being said... I think teachers unions need to be disbanded before they bancrupt the communities that are paying the teachers' salaries. That same sister-in-law and her husband? Both public school teachers with 4 children age 5 or younger living in a $500,000+ brand new house on 7 acres of land with 2 dogs, a cat, 3 cars between them and a refrigerator full of organic foods. My husband and I are not much younger and working comparable jobs (graphic artist and admin assistant) and are nowhere near being able to afford those types of luxuries. THAT is when you know that there's something wrong with the system. And it's not necessarily the teachers' faults that things have gotten that way.

Where do they live? I certainly can't afford that on my teacher's salary.
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    again i say- hooray for home education!

just for the record, i don't think anyone on here has been 'booing' at homeschool. just trying to get across that it's pretty unfair that so many people seem to have *so many* answers and criticisms for people in a profession that they wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.
  • krkoch1983
    krkoch1983 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and would gladly take the pay of a babysitter!

Let's say that I charge $3/hour/kid. I have 27 kids in my class:

$3 x 27 = $81/hour

I am SCHEDULED to work from 8:45 - 4:15 (though I am usually at school before 8 and leave around 5):

$81 x 7 (taking out my lunch - 30 min.) = $567/day

I work 36 weeks per year, and that does account for summer break and other days off:

$567 x 5 days/week = $2835 x 36 weeks/year = $102,060/year

Now, I also have a MA in education, but I won't charge extra for my extra knowledge of how to better serve your children.

I make less than $40,000/year. So, PLEASE let me charge babysitter rates! I would love that!
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I taught for 4 years before going corporate DUE to the $$$. I taught HS math to the students who did not want to be there. Though I also supported merit-based pay I think it should be based on the merit of the teacher, not the performance of the student..but I read this a while back and as a mathematician..found it quite interesting..

Enjoy:

"Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! IT's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do--babysit!!

We can get that for less than minimum wage!

That's right. Give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00pm with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hour days).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to babysit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.

However, remember they only work 180 days a year! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

Let's see... that's $585.00 x 180 = $105, 300 per year (wait. My calculator needs to batteries).

What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour.

That would be $8 x 6 1/2 x 30 x 180 = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute--there's something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher's salary (nationwide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77 per day / 30 students = $9.25 / 6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per students -- a very inexpensive babysitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!

WHAT A DEAL!!!! "

Just a thought ;)
  • byou412
    Options
    AMEN!!! Teacher here and I totally agree!!!!
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I taught for six years and loved every minute of it! AMEN to this!!!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Teachers should be paid in gold bullion and be allowed to retire at age 45. If it was left up to me, just based on my experience with homework with my ONE child, our nation's children would not only be uneducated but I would have murdered them all by the second day of school.

Thank god for teachers!!!

407966_2534772016333_1464553816_32066056_134878890_n.jpg

Yeah, you must be from Wisconsin. Well, the 1st union worker is not STATE paid. Wisconsin is in huge dept and it's not that we do not support the teachers, it is that we need to make some cuts....PERIOD and unions should be abolished and have no place in government agencies. Teachers do not need more time off then they already get. They should pay for more of their benefits....everyone else has to and I have to do it on a portion of the pay that they get. I am not saying that we do not supprt our teachers but when a state is broke, money has to come from somewhere and there needs to be a limit on spending. There is too much money thrown at things that the 'fix' isn't always money. It amazes me how people dont stop to realize that we cannot have it all. We don't want our taxes raised, but we should keep giving state employees MORE and MORE....but don't you dare raise our taxes. People don't care where the money is spent as long as it does not negatively affect them. Well, when my bank account is in the negative...I cannot keep spending money and no one is going to continue to bail me out and give me more money. I need to make accomodations and re-evalute where I am spending my money, how I can spend it more wisely and yes....there are cuts that will have to be made. PERIOD. I support teachers but cannot support them any more financially. I help out in my children's classroom. I donate items, etc. Parents need to step it up too and we need to stop expecting the government to take care of everything for us.
  • chanstriste13
    Options

where?!?! i will be relocating there immediately! :wink:

in nc, our start pay is $33,000 and you don't break $50,000 until you've taught for 25 years, but that's only if they ever unfreeze our pay steps. it's public information if anyone would like to peruse: http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/docs/fbs/finance/salary/schedules/2011-12schedules.pdf

and we don't have unions here.