Things you see at the Gym

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Some of these posts seem to be somwhat snobbish. Were we all not "newbies" at one time? I read the posts and what I hear is, "if you dont fit in to our ideals, then stay home, we really don't want to work out in the same gym with someone that does not come up to our standards".

While I am not a gym user, I suspect there are those that are that would like to respond as below.

Please tell me what are the right sneakers to wear so I don’t offend you.

Part of showering after a workout is getting naked, showering, drying off, getting dressed. I keep my eyes to myself and tend to what I am doing. I suggest you do the same.

If I have a McDonald’s cup with diet coke, why should that matter to you, am I only allowed to drink water out of some special hi-tech trendy water bottle

If I choose to wear jeans, either out of preference or financial reasons, what business is it of yours?

I am sorry if somehow I have offended YOU by looking at myself in the mirror. Maybe you should concentrate on your workout and mind your own business. I don’t happen to have a full length mirror at home to use.

Running on the treadmill and using other machines is about as boring as it can get, excuse me if I read something while I am working out.

If I may..

Martin you appear to be a well dressed, professional man. I could be wrong but I'm just going by your photo.

Now if someone walked into your office/court/media conglomeration wearing flip flops, ripped jeans and an F You hat would your first reaction be not to judge them? Would you think you should mind your own business and let them dress however they choose?

The reality is certain outfits are not appropriate for certain situations. You shouldn't wear gym clothes to the office and you shouldn't wear jeans and full makeup at the gym.

Also drinking soda or reading, like wearing jeans, hampers your workout. Why go if you're only going to make it harder for yourself?

There are rules of ettiquette everywhere you go. The gym is no different. Best wishes.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    If I may..

Martin you appear to be a well dressed, professional man. I could be wrong but I'm just going by your photo.

Now if someone walked into your office/court/media conglomeration wearing flip flops, ripped jeans and an F You hat would your first reaction be not to judge them? Would you think you should mind your own business and let them dress however they choose?

The reality is certain outfits are not appropriate for certain situations. You shouldn't wear gym clothes to the office and you shouldn't wear jeans and full makeup at the gym.

Also drinking soda or reading, like wearing jeans, hampers your workout. Why go if you're only going to make it harder for yourself?

There are rules of ettiquette everywhere you go. The gym is no different. Best wishes.

Well said, and Go Penguins!!!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

No hockey damnit! I live near the arena and it just means traffic for me!!
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I used to work out in a gym in Scottsdale, AZ and I saw this one guy with a bottle of San Pelligrino, haha it was funny only in Scottsdale would someone drink sparkling mineral water (and it was the glass bottle not the plastic) during their work out.

I'm actually guilty of this. In my defense, it was just filled with regular water and I was reusing it at the gym. Also, it was the plastic bottle, not the glass one. Someone did comment on it though.

Haha that's too funny, but you do have a good defense! I think the glass bottle just put it over the top. I love me some Pelligrino but I would probably be burping during my entire workout!
  • Hecnotha1
    Options
    i Guess what i hate the most is. when a really attractive girl who is well put together, wears leggings and a wife beater to the gym and is doing pullups next to you.. i mean really? that's just not fair. my retina cannot handle that much stress.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

No hockey damnit! I live near the arena and it just means traffic for me!!

:laugh: Understandable. I wouldn't want thousands of fans driving through my neighborhood either.
  • natsyg
    Options
    Dorito shaped men - urgh.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to others at the gym but I was on the elliptical the other day, going a a pretty good clip and a young man to my right caught my peripheral vision. He was going so fast on his I thought he was going to hurt himself - like Wylie coyote crazy fast!

I started thinking "That's how people burn so many more calories on the elliptical than I do!"
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The people who are there, every day, doing same workout for months and no changes in their body. Diet!!!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me when I am in the locker room and women walk around butt *kitten* naked. Boobs flapping around everywhere not to mention that spider about to jump at me. And why is that the time they pick to have a full on convo. LADY: the barrier on personal space increases with nakedness.
    What is "spider about to jump at me" a euphemism for? Is it related to flappy boobs? Does it have to do with being naked? My imagination is going wild. I want to start using the phrase, but want to make sure I'm using it correctly.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    What really bothers me is people who are obviously too focused on what others are wearing/saying/doing to get in a proper work out :) good thing I am not one of those people. Seems I am the only one who pays attention to myself when I am working out. Hell, I couldn't even tell you how many other people are in the gym at any given time.
  • LauraLouIsReady
    Options
    Body building beefcakes who find it neccesary to drop the weights with a BANG after their max weight lift. Oiy. :noway:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    LADY: the barrier on personal space increases with nakedness.
    I already have personal space issues. This would land me in a spiffy jacket and padded cell.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    If theres no picture it never happend.....
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    My gym is pretty awesome. I don't see anything all the weird.
    All the newbs are getting annoying though...and Monday nights are crazy packed.
    I'm excited for when most of them fall off the wagon. Is that mean of me? :blushing:

I cant wait for the fall off. Gym soo packed Monday thru Thursday...cant even get to the weights!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Girls that weigh 100lbs soaking wet, getting on the tredmill next to me and walking for ten minutes then getting off.... while I'm sweating my *kitten* off with my C25K :|

You already walked TO the gym, surely a warm up should... Warm you up?
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Okay I have to agree with the girls wearing Uggs at the gym...it isn't just on treadmills here. I actually saw a girl lifting the other day wearing them. Why the hell would somebody opt to wear them to the gym? I don't get it.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Wow, another one of these threads! I love them but don't let the PC police or the bleeding heart let's not poke fun at anybody's find out about it or they will flock here are tell you all how mean you are.

Yeah, like they aren't thinking the same things....they just don't have the guts to say it. People do funny, silly stuff. I'm sure....in fact, I KNOW firsthand...I've done stuff that people laughed at behind my back. Now, posting a photo of someone or mentioning someone by name might be crossing a line, but just making comments about people in general is not mean. My guess is, the people that say we're being mean, have been guilty of doing or saying most of the things at which we're poking fun. They feel embarrassed at the realization that people have been laughing at them all this time, and it makes them mad.

it doesn't take a lot of guts to talk about people behind their backs! Just sayin.....
  • plumnbagel
    plumnbagel Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Dorito shaped men - urgh.

It took me a long time to figure out that you were talking about an INVERTED triangle. I was like, "You mean, men with a small neck and a big waistline is a thing now?" :smile:
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    1. Naked women in the changing room without an ounce of dignity.
    2. Over use of nasty body sprays in the changing room
    3. People who put on cologne/perfume before going to the gym
    4. Loud talking bff's on the machines next to me talking so loud that though I have the volume in my headphones up to 1 billion, I can STILL hear them.
    5. New Years influx of perky perfect 20 year olds obviously using the gym as a pick up joint instead of a workout place and taking up machines needed by people serious about health and fitness
    6. Creepy dudes oggling women and feeling 'touchy'

Biggest one...people who do not clean the machines. Nasty.