Beginners Walking Challenge

Options

Replies

• stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hey Spunkie!

Glad to see you finally have a good diagnosis so that you can attack this thing and get on with your life!

You can't leave this walking challenge (and we could never throw you out) because 1) you STARTED the challenge :flowerforyou: and 2) water walking counts as walking. :happy: So we'll be expecting to see some progress reports from you, Missy (as your physician allows, of course)!

Don't let this challenge make you frustrated! :grumble: Be an ant--they never quit, even when somebody messes up their anthill! :bigsmile:

Cheers! :drinker:

Deborah
  • stratdl
    Options
    Hi everyone....I know this challenge has been going for awhile, but I love to walk/hike, so I wanted to at least stop by and give everyone an 'atta girl!

:drinker:

A lot of people underestimate walking. I personally lost 50lbs from hiking and just the act of doing it has changed my life. I still have a long way to go weight-wise, but the process has brought to me a previously unknown passion.

Good luck all!

-Blue:flowerforyou:

Hey Blue,

I totally know where you're coming from on this one! One of the out of shape guys with whom I work said that he needed a workout that would make him sweaty when he pooh-poohed walking when I suggested that as an easy beginner exercise (he'd mentioned he was wanting to get into shape). I am considering working toward a goal of a 6 mph walk speed (I had thought of 5 mph, but I'm starting to do that one consistently now, so I'm looking higher :smile: ). I'd like to challenge him (out-of-shape guy) to a 30-minute walk on the track and we'll see if he can get a workout in!!!!

Welcome to the group! You'll have fun here (even if you do get plantar fascitis and hives--those kind of things are NOT barriers to our goals, right, Walkers?)!

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • stratdl
    Options
    I know Im a little late but just saw this post and I have really been slacking and something like this could really help me get back in the grove and I love going on walks. So if its alright I think I may join in =)

Come on in and join us, Bleem!!! We're happy to have you.

You know, just as it's never to late to find and join MFP, it's never to late to catch the wagon on the Beginners Walking Challenge!!!

Deborah
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Geesh, I feel like I haven't been on here as much as usual. Catching up with everyone...Just read through a few of that last posts...

Cindy, you're doing great, as usual! :happy: Way to go :smile:

Emmie, I actually found out what was causing my hives. It was the cleaning solutions I was using every morning. I like to clean as I go (in the morning before work) so I don't have to do a huge extravagant cleaning at the end of each week. I caught it yesterday when I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor...(that's exactly where the hives form...and I just happen to notice them forming as I was cleaning) GEESH! All that from just cleaning!!! :laugh: I'm going to start buying all natural cleaning products.

Elle, congrats on losing 3 lbs! That's great!!! :happy:

Just wanted to say welcome to BlueSunshyne, BombolinaM and bleem108!!! Good luck!

Spunkie, I'm so sorry to hear about your foot! Swimming is a great exercise tho, it'll help with all parts of your body. Try doing that and see how it goes :smile: You gotta stick with us! We'll miss you toooo much if you don't! :happy:

Hope everyone is having a great day! It's gloomy and rainy here in PA...so it looks like it's going to be a gym day :smile:
  • stratdl
    Options
    Emmie, I actually found out what was causing my hives. It was the cleaning solutions I was using every morning. I like to clean as I go (in the morning before work) so I don't have to do a huge extravagant cleaning at the end of each week. I caught it yesterday when I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor...(that's exactly where the hives form...and I just happen to notice them forming as I was cleaning) GEESH! All that from just cleaning!!! :laugh: I'm going to start buying all natural cleaning products.

...or you could quit cleaning altogether!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm so glad you found out what was causing your hives!!! AND you didn't have to pay oodles of money for a doctor visit! Yay! I am SO happy for you! :bigsmile:

Deborah
  • Cindy111
    Cindy111 Posts: 3
    Options
    I would enjoy a fitness challenge. I am 61 years old and have started walking 1.3 miles once a day for at least 3 X's a week or more when able. Today I will walk 2.6 miles. I am on summer vacation from teaching so will try to walk AM & PM.
    Cindy from NC::happy:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    I know! I pretty darn excited! Talk about last minute! I was literally going to call for an appt that afternoon! Thank goodness I didn't spend all that money :tongue:

Cindy111 Welcome to our walking challenge! Everyone here is extremely helpful and def motivational. Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    Geesh, I feel like I haven't been on here as much as usual. Catching up with everyone...Just read through a few of that last posts...

Cindy, you're doing great, as usual! :happy: Way to go :smile:

Elle, congrats on losing 3 lbs! That's great!!! :happy:

Just wanted to say welcome to BlueSunshyne, BombolinaM and bleem108!!! Good luck!

Spunkie, I'm so sorry to hear about your foot! Swimming is a great exercise tho, it'll help with all parts of your body. Try doing that and see how it goes :smile: You gotta stick with us! We'll miss you toooo much if you don't! :happy:

Hope everyone is having a great day! It's gloomy and rainy here in PA...so it looks like it's going to be a gym day :smile:

Oh Yay!!!:bigsmile: :drinker: I'm so glad you found that out! I use all of the Green Works(I get at Target) and I love them!

Getting ready for my walk tonight:happy: I just ate some bannana strawberry pancakes w/ sugar free syrup...& they were super yummy & only 350 cals! I love this lifestyle change :bigsmile:

Welcome Cindy111! :flowerforyou:
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! :flowerforyou: So I have to note some bad news about my foot :sad: :devil: :grumble: I have plantar fasciitis among other things that I cannot pronounce and am undergoing cortisone treatments and may possible have to have surgery :explode: :mad: :grumble: :noway: :sad: I was also told no impact exercises and I have to stay off my foot as much as possible. YEA RIGHT! :noway: :cry: :frown: So I have been told no walking or treadmill for sure and I can only use a bike...dont have but will look into and swim. Thank goodness we just bought a house with a pool. I am very frustrated because I feel like this has put such a damper in my routine and plan. I know I will overcome but I HATE SETBACKS! :grumble: I am going to swim walk....it's my own new exercise and I am going to do my best to keep up with you guys. I hope you guys will still keep me in the challenge....I really appreciate everything you guys do to help and support me. Thanks for everything :smile: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :love: :drinker:

Spunkie....I'm sorry about your foot! You have the right attitude though, trying something you can do!:wink: I use to walk in the pool...and that's a great workout! It's like walking with resistance,lol. Keep on moving(as much as you can) and take care of your tootsies!:flowerforyou:
  • Tekamahmom
    Tekamahmom Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey walkers,
    Well I went to my monthly weight check at my doctor. According to the scale at the doctors office I only lost 8 pounds... The way I see it is that it's better than nothing so I was excited about that..... I haven't really been able to get much walking done today or yesterday b/c we've been having storms galore here..... Tornado watches and all... YUCK!!! I did get to run in the rain with my kids for a while though and that was a blast.....
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody,
    Can I join this wlking challenge? Better late than never, Done really well with MFP since 1/9/09 and have been doing a variety of things (TJ, firm, pilates) I am looking for a place to be accountable, help get me (and give others) support and motivation, and see results from walking!! My ars and shoulders look pretty good from the TJ but my butt and thighs need work!! Guess we're under construction:laugh:
    Could someone pls give me the format so I can get in on this? Got a vacation to Padre Islad w/ DH planned for Labor Day weekend and I would like to see some changes in my body by then.

BTW just finished a very brish walk w/ my 3lb dumbells - 45 min. :happy:

Janet
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Dragonfly you can def join our walking challenge! Welcome :smile: This is a great group! Everyone is extremely helpful and motivational.

We check in on Fridays and just say how many minutes we walked each day. As a bonus you can also put in your weight loss for the week. :smile:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hi walkers- 5 miles for me today in 83 minutes, :smile: I swam for an hour and did 53 push ups & 96 squats. :smile: I hope everyone had a great day. Nighty night- Cindy :heart:
  • emmie110
    emmie110 Posts: 176
    Options
    Hi everyone. Just checking in - I walked for 35 miles tonight - about 2 miles. :smile:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    53 pushups! wow! That website seems to be helping you out a lot. Maybe I'll try that, I really need to build up strength in my arms and get them toned. Great job!

Emmie, I'm hoping you meant 35 mins :wink:
  • emmie110
    emmie110 Posts: 176
    Options
    53 pushups! wow! That website seems to be helping you out a lot. Maybe I'll try that, I really need to build up strength in my arms and get them toned. Great job!

Yes - minutes! :laugh: Wishful thinking!
  • cpafford79
    cpafford79 Posts: 88
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just checking in my miles from yesterday. I walked 1.5 miles in 35 mintues. I know that sounds really slow, but I had my 18 month old in tow, and she insisted on walking, then pushing the stroller, then riding on my shoulders, then stopping to pick flowers, and oh yeah...me spinning in circles while carrying her on my shoulders and pushing the stroller at the same time while she carried the flowers that she picked in her hands! :laugh: Gotta love those kids!! :love:
  • cpafford79
    cpafford79 Posts: 88
    Options
    Hey Cindy,

How do you update your walking ticker? I just added mine and I can't figure out how to update it with my new miles?

Thanks!
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Hey Cindy,

How do you update your walking ticker? I just added mine and I can't figure out how to update it with my new miles?

Thanks!
    Hi, I go to www.tickerfactory.com and click on the fitness ticker link. It takes me to my ticker page . Once there I type in my ticker password that i created when I first created my ticker. I add the miles and click right next to it where is says add. I then copy my new ticker code. Come back to MFP and click on settings. Scroll down to your signature. Click on that and once it comes up delete the previous ticker code and paste the new updated one. I hope that all makes sence. Let me know if you need more help. Cindy :heart:
  • Cindysunshine
    Options

Hi Kid, Oh yes they are helping ! Check out the push up web site and the sqaut web site. I can alreday see a little definition in my arms. I love it ! Cindy :heart: