People who have pro-anorexia profiles

Options

Replies

• LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    To the people who are saying worry about yourself , maybe they should read the guidelines

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.

And also

2. No Hi-Jacking Topics

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.

I don't believe anything else needs to be said. Read the guidelines of the site. no matter what our beliefs are. We did not create this site therefore we do not determine who can or cannot use it, but we can help to monitor those who do not follow the guidelines.
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think there's a big difference between people who have eating disorders and eat whhat's considered a starvation diet and people who encourage others to eat a starvation diet. I'm offended that people would think that I promote this by eating what I do and in the way I do.
    The whole pro-ana and pro-mia thing seems to me only be a problem if they say "it is right to starve yourself" or advocate it as though it'll make you happy or solve all of ones lifes problems.
    I do have an eating disorder, and I don't sensor myself on my fittness pal, if anything it's helped me actually realise how wrong what I'm doing is, it's quite a big reality check which for me is very helpful with managing my life and all that jazz.
    Anyway, I think the point I'm trying to make is that not all people who have eating disorders are pro-ana because quite frankly my eating disorder has destroyed my life.
    I understand that there are a lot of people on here who suffer from binge eating disorder, there's a big difference between not denying that it's there and saying that it's beautiful, correct or admirable.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    To the people who are saying worry about yourself , maybe they should read the guidelines

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.

And also

2. No Hi-Jacking Topics

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.

Indeed, but these rules talk about not promoting topics and lifestyles, not PEOPLE. People deserve our compassion. And I believe I AM on topic here, but if you disagree, feel free to report me.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one, as many are making valid points. It makes me terribly sad to see eating disorder sufferers who have no intention of trying to work through them, and even sadder when I see them encouraging each other. Unfortunately, there isn't anything that you, an internet stranger, can really do to help them. The motivation to change, to begin a healthy eating style, has to come from within. Until someone is ready to make that change, they probably won't be overly receptive to suggestions, threats, or criticism.

I don't think that they should be banned immediately; maybe a three-strike sort of rule? This site is full of healthy, inspiring people, and just maybe someone's story will spark change in someone who has an eating disorder.

I have a few friends on here battling eating disorders, and I do my very best to support them. I encourage them to rethink their choices when they make a bad decision, and I congratulate them when they take a step in the right direction. On the same token, I've also deleted a couple of friends who were not ready to make these changes and regularly made pro-disorder comments.

Yes, I was not saying ban her, I wanted to report her so they could see what was going on.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I think we should ban people who pass judgment on others. :)

Yup.

Me three!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I doubt it. While I don't think it's healthy, it's a personal decision. Your definition of healthy may or may not be accurate.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I think that pro-ana and mia people should be banned from the site. They're only here to manipulate the tools given so they can keep track of how little they're eating, how much they need to purge later and so on. Anorexia and Bulimia are serious mental illnesses and should not be taken lightly. Many girls have literally starved themselves to death. I heard of one bulimic girl (1000 ways to die) who binged so much, her stomach lining ripped and she died. So please, nobody suggest we just ignore them when we can do something to help them.

How will banning them help them? I don't think you want to help them at all, I think you've already judged them and found them wanting so you'd just like them to be out of sight. If you wanted to help them you'd see that their being here, exposed to good eating habits, might just rub off. They sure won't get any better at a pro-ana site, now will they? I don't think keeping pro-ana/mia POSTS and TOPICS is a good idea, and deleting them is one thing, but deciding to ban the PEOPLE won't "do something to help them" it will just send them somewhere they are even less likely to get better.

It's about time people who want to ban people get honest about WHY they want to ban them, because you do not want to ban these women to "help" them.

Banning them is not to help them, but to help the people they may be influencing.
  • RayRay1500
    Options

Yup.

Me three!

I am not breaking the rules of this site like they are.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Reading Comprehension is no longer widely taught, is it?

*sigh*

Maybe people should be forced to take reading comprehension tests, and have the results posted on their profile before their allowed to post in the forums...

http://www.majortests.com/sat/reading-comprehension.php
  • RayRay1500
    Options
    I doubt it. While I don't think it's healthy, it's a personal decision. Your definition of healthy may or may not be accurate.

It is against the rules of this site that we are on.
  • FitLink
    Options
    This is a tough one, as many are making valid points. It makes me terribly sad to see eating disorder sufferers who have no intention of trying to work through them, and even sadder when I see them encouraging each other. Unfortunately, there isn't anything that you, an internet stranger, can really do to help them. The motivation to change, to begin a healthy eating style, has to come from within. Until someone is ready to make that change, they probably won't be overly receptive to suggestions, threats, or criticism.

I don't think that they should be banned immediately; maybe a three-strike sort of rule? This site is full of healthy, inspiring people, and just maybe someone's story will spark change in someone who has an eating disorder.

I have a few friends on here battling eating disorders, and I do my very best to support them. I encourage them to rethink their choices when they make a bad decision, and I congratulate them when they take a step in the right direction. On the same token, I've also deleted a couple of friends who were not ready to make these changes and regularly made pro-disorder comments.

Yes, I was not saying ban her, I wanted to report her so they could see what was going on.

And...do what? Why does someone need to see what she is doing if not to stop her? You specifically said her profile, not forum posts, so how to eliminate that except ban her? You are not being pressured, or even forced to see (you went to her profile) what she's doing? Why is it yours to "report?"
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but there has to be a way. I routinely delete friends who do not eat 1000 calories a day.
    currently have someone on my friend's who apparently eats less than 1000 calories
    i would delete her but i also wanna help her but she doesn't listen....what to do what to do?
    these girls/guys need encouragement but i don't think they listen to anyone in their lives let alone someone online.
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options

I absolutely agree. It's the moderators' duty to keep the site and it's users "safe," so to speak, and they can't be everywhere at once. I commend you for caring enough about peoples' well-being to start this topic, even though some posters have been very rude to you.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options

It is against the rules of this site that we are on.

As I said, your definition of healthy may or may not be accurate. So may or may not be against the rules. It would be difficult to define "healthy."

High salt consumption - BAN!
    High calorie consumption - BAN!
    Promoting consumption of over 48 ounces of water - BAN... (because that's contraindicated if you have CHF)

My only caution, which I don't think was offensive, is to be mindful that you can't speak for everyone - but can only define "health" for yourself. And surround yourself with others that can support that same definition.
  • FitLink
    Options

Yup.

Me three!

I am not breaking the rules of this site like they are.

Rules, rules, rules. Mature people live by ethical principles, not rules. These women may, possibly, get better here exposed to the good examples. Anywhere else they go they will still have the tools, but without the good examples. Maybe that's enough to see the rules for what they are--guidelines.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but there has to be a way. I routinely delete friends who do not eat 1000 calories a day.
    currently have someone on my friend's who apparently eats less than 1000 calories
    i would delete her but i also wanna help her but she doesn't listen....what to do what to do?
    these girls/guys need encouragement but i don't think they listen to anyone in their lives let alone someone online.

It's always worth trying to help. Once, twice, 3 times. For one user here, a while back I tried every single day, week after week, for a long time. That never panned out, and I eventually gave up. It was rather heartbreaking.

Every now and then, you really can help someone. Most of the time, you probably won't make a difference, but even if you do just once or twice, it's so worth it.

But at some point, you have to just let go. Like some others said above, you're not responsible for fixing the whole world.
  • tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Deleting Profiles for under 1000 cal. intake is retarded...maybe you need not judge! I only get 1200 cal. a day and sometimes I eat 2-3 cups of arugula (because I love it) and its only 20-30 cal. but very filling. People please read what you post and try to treat others in a positive way :)

I agree. I sometimes do not eat all of my calories.

Thank you! I can't stand all the judging!!!! People are attacking others over hearsay. Ladies and Gentlemen, people can write crazy stuff on their profiles (joking/or real) we have no idea, unless you personally know them...if they have/or not a ED! I'm sure if you all read my food Diary some of you would think I have a ED, I assure you I have not now or ever had a ED...but judging on how some of you view a ED on just a calorie intake, those of you would hate my diary!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I absolutely understand the "personal decision" thing, but when we signed up for a membership here, we agreed to abide by the site's rules. I do believe we should do that. Automatic banning wasn't the suggested or intended outcome, the way I followed the original post. Just a heads-up.

I read a study on how a show just discussing anorexia appeared on some children's channel. A girl (who later died of the disorder) said she saw it on an after-school show, and for the first time realized how much she hated the fat on her body. She began seeking out ana sites.

I'm very sure the people providing this site would not want to be known as an "ana site" and they deserve to know about anybody actively promoting the disorder.

It isn't about whether they have the right - it's about other's rights also. There are young, impressionable people here, and many in vulnerable states. We can't just think of one set of people's rights without thinking of all people's rights... right?

Please don't flame me.... :-D
  • ShalisaClam
    Options

Aren't you passing judgement on the people who are passing judgement then??? I'm so confused! :huh:
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options

And...do what? Why does someone need to see what she is doing if not to stop her? You specifically said her profile, not forum posts, so how to eliminate that except ban her? You are not being pressured, or even forced to see (you went to her profile) what she's doing? Why is it yours to "report?"

Why do strangers call the cops when they see a crime being committed? To help the victim. In this case I think the desire is not to ban them or eliminate them from being on the site, but that hopefully someone with actual authority on this site could try and educate this person about what they are doing and possibly push them to get help. Reporting someone doesn't mean we always want bad things to happen to that person.