This. When I'm not away at school.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    For the record I have been to the ocean many times!:smile:
  • spennato
    Options
    I live a few hours from teh geogrpahic center of the USA. Don't see much ocean here !
    So is that a no you have never seen it?
  • spennato
    Options
    Atlantic a hundred times. Sadly the one time I went to the west coast (anahiem CA) wasn't close enough to see the pacific.
    Likewise, I was in L.A last month, I was very close but was stuck in meetings all day, and pretty much confined to the hotel!!
  • spennato
    Options
    I live an hour and a half from the ocean, I am just curious if there is anyone out there who has never seen it?

Why, is it missing? Hahaha

Ahem. I've seen the South Atlantic and the North Pacific. Love them both. Would go live beside the south Atlantic any day. :-)

Haha Funnny took me a second!!
    :laugh:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I've seen the Atlantic and the Pacific in one day :) Flew from Massachusetts to California. lol
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I was raised in Los Angeles (when it was nice.) We used to go to Santa Monica or Will Rogers beach every week in the summer. Then later in life we lived in Ojai, Ca and I worked in Ventura, Ca and each morning I would leave early to park by the ocean and start my day. I love the drama of it. It's beautiful. Then lived back east and went to Maine. Atlantic and Pacific. So different.:love:

Everyone should see and stay by the ocean at least once in their life.:flowerforyou:
  • katya73
    katya73 Posts: 464
    Options
    Heck yess.. Brought up on an island .. Now live in a coastal town .... It's the best !!!
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    We have a Bed & Breakfast on the isle of wight uk and we can see the ocean from 2 bedroom windows :))
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It's a big part of my life!
    I was considering going for a swim tomorrow......
  • CVAB
    CVAB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I live by the east coast my whole life.
    It was always fun to see iceberg, whales and seals come down from the north every spring.
    :)

380398_10151106930325441_777550440_22375633_289434970_n.jpg

It's not the best picture it more towards the bay, but when the whole bay fills with
    icebergs and ice pans it's nice
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I live like 8 hours away from the ocean, and Ive seen it! How have you never seen it? Just sort of surprising
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Currently I have an ocean front house on a relatively small island. It is 2-17 miles wide and about 67 miles long. It is in the subtropical zone. The waters are beautiful. We planned to go whale watching yesterday and take our kids boating today. The waters were too choppy.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Nope never seen it. Farthest south I've been is Arkansas, farthest east is Chicago, farthest west is Yellowstone.
    OMG you yanks are crazy. I can't believe you don't travel to the bloody edges of your own country at least! Most people saying they've only seen the Atlantic, Pacific or Gulf if any. Travel abroad, broaden your horizons people!

It's different here - America is huge, whereas everywhere in Europe you are relatively close to the ocean.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Nope never seen it. Farthest south I've been is Arkansas, farthest east is Chicago, farthest west is Yellowstone.
    OMG you yanks are crazy. I can't believe you don't travel to the bloody edges of your own country at least! Most people saying they've only seen the Atlantic, Pacific or Gulf if any. Travel abroad, broaden your horizons people!

It's different here - America is huge, whereas everywhere in Europe you are relatively close to the ocean.
    True, but in Europe it's normal to fly long distances several times a year on holidays, often as far as most Americans live from the ocean.

I think it's partly because of the ridiculously low amount of annual leave that many Americans have - amounts that would be illegal in most of Europe and certainly in the UK. Even the most menial of jobs must include at least four weeks paid leave, and five weeks paid leave is considered normal. I have over six weeks leave every year - that frees up a lot of time for budget travel options and I make the absolutely most of it! :bigsmile:
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Lived in Scotland for a year. While there, a friend told me a story.

His son was flying from London to New York. He called a friend living in Los Angeles concerned about the Brit coming to a foreign country and wondered if his friend in LA would meet his plane. The friend in LA responded, "You meet him. You are closer." From Edinburgh to New York City is closer than from Los Angeles to New York.

The bombing during WW2 of Germany to London never made any sense growing up. How could Germany bomb a country so far away? I grew up in Seattle. Again, the distance from Seattle to San Francisco is further than from Berlin to London.

Having travelled to Europe a number of times, growing up in Seattle, and going to school outside New York, I do believe in world travel. But, the United States is large. And, a flight from the West Coast (where I live now) to Europe takes 16 hours and $1,500. That is a minimum of a 10 day vacation. Then, you need the spending and lodging money on top. Nope, I can see why many Americans have never seen the ocean, let alone any part of a foreign country.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    i live like 15 mins car journey from the beach, does that count as the ocean? :laugh:
  • KellyAFraley
    Options
    I was born on the East Coast, and currently living on the West Coast. I see the Pacific Ocean every day.
    I have been to a number of water front states, and LOVE the water!!! YAAAAAAAAY!
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options

I live an hour and a half from the ocean, I am just curious if there is anyone out there who has never seen it?

Why, is it missing? Hahaha

lol, well i can vouch that the Atlantic isn't- can see it outside my window as i type.
    yeah i can't get flood insurance and one day my house might end up being taken out to sea but whatever, waking up every morning to the sight, sounds, and smells of the ocean are worth it.

i get like this weird claustrophobic-like feeling when in landlocked states.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    i get like this weird claustrophobic-like feeling when in landlocked states.

Likewise.