Government recognizing Gay and Lesbian

Options

Replies

• iamthevieve
    Options
    When people say that allowing Gays to marry will ruin the sanctity of marriage.. I believe they are actually talking about the word marriage, not the relationship between two people without even knowing it.

What other word out there is so sanctified as marriage?

MOTHER? Even the crack *kitten* down the street can be one of those, hell even the gay crack *kitten* down the street can be a PARENT - so those words are out!

PRIEST? Nah, I'm not even going to touch that one... but that word is out too.

Straight people have disrespected the word marriage straight into an over 50% divorce rate, I say Homosexuals should be able to marry simply because they are humans but also because it could raise our average.

As a mother, if my children were fighting over something like this, I'd take it away from both of them.

I wish I could *like* this.
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    This is too controversial to discuss on here. Personally, I don't agree with it, I had a gay friend who feels the exact same way. But, its up to the government to decide, they can do whatever they want, like they always have.

I don't think it's "too controversial" to discuss. As adults we can have discussions and be civil with one another in any forum. It's a subject that NEEDS to be spoken about. I mean, we are talking about fellow citizens who pay taxes, contribute to the economy and are our neighbors and their rights are not being recognized because they love a person of their same sex.

So you had a homosexual friend who did not agree with being able to marry the person he's in love with and make their own family together? Hmm, I would love to hear why he didn't believe in it.

Well, I understand its fine to discuss it, but sometimes thing's arent very civil you know? I'm all for it, long as nobody disses someone else's opinion whether they are for it or against. I personally grew up thinking it was wrong, not necessarily cause I was fed that by my family, I did study the bible when I was younger so that probably led me to it. As far as my friend, he mentioned this to me and a few others when we were hanging out like a year ago. We're merely acquaintances now, but when he said it, he basically said what would happen to traditional families? How most children had both a mother and father. That could be negatively impacted. And he said this could be reason for others to suggest a push for polygamy or things like that.

I agree with both his points, I'm not sure if his opinion has changed now, but he brought up good points.

I don't see anything wrong with polygamy as long as all parties are consenting adults. Did your friend have problems with single parents? Do you?
  • mmgomez28
    mmgomez28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is too controversial to discuss on here. Personally, I don't agree with it, I had a gay friend who feels the exact same way. But, its up to the government to decide, they can do whatever they want, like they always have.

I don't think it's "too controversial" to discuss. As adults we can have discussions and be civil with one another in any forum. It's a subject that NEEDS to be spoken about. I mean, we are talking about fellow citizens who pay taxes, contribute to the economy and are our neighbors and their rights are not being recognized because they love a person of their same sex.

So you had a homosexual friend who did not agree with being able to marry the person he's in love with and make their own family together? Hmm, I would love to hear why he didn't believe in it.

Well, I understand its fine to discuss it, but sometimes thing's arent very civil you know? I'm all for it, long as nobody disses someone else's opinion whether they are for it or against. I personally grew up thinking it was wrong, not necessarily cause I was fed that by my family, I did study the bible when I was younger so that probably led me to it. As far as my friend, he mentioned this to me and a few others when we were hanging out like a year ago. We're merely acquaintances now, but when he said it, he basically said what would happen to traditional families? How most children had both a mother and father. That could be negatively impacted. And he said this could be reason for others to suggest a push for polygamy or things like that.

I agree with both his points, I'm not sure if his opinion has changed now, but he brought up good points.

Hmm. I understand his points, but I think he was too general. Traditional families will not cease to exist because homosexual couples are allowed to wed. Not a 100% of the population is homosexual, so there will still be a large percentage of "traditional marriages". In terms of the children I only know one guy who was raised by two mothers and he is straight, well-educated, and an amazing guy. He treats everybody with respect. I even had a crush on him a couple of years back. MY biggest issue with that is that there are no studies to prove that a child raised by same-sex parents is going to be negatively impacted. In terms of polygamy, the Mormons practice it still. It's not "legal" but it does happen. A lot. In the US.

Those are just my two cents on that.
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Options

I don't see anything wrong with polygamy as long as all parties are consenting adults. Did your friend have problems with single parents? Do you?

I don't have any, and I don't think he does either. We didn't have an in depth conversation, so I can't say for sure what he meant, but he must have had a reason for it.
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    I don't have any, and I don't think he does either. We didn't have an in depth conversation, so I can't say for sure what he meant, but he must have had a reason for it.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be a *****, but this is a hot-button topic for me. I completely disagree with denying people rights such as marriage.

Anyway, if you don't have problems with single parents, why would you have problems with a child having two dads or two moms? There are pleny of ways for children to have positive influences from both sexes. My husband didn't have a dad (doesn't even know who he is), but his grandpa and uncles took him under their wing. He is a wonderful man and amazing father and while he wishes he at least knew who his dad was, he's not lacking for it.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Marriage should be abolished all together; it's the worse government institution after education.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Isn't marriage a religious thing therefore as most religions don't recognise same sex marriage then they can't happen? Hence civil partnerships?

Er, many people marry in registry offices or similar, with no religious content at all - in fact, many civil ceremonies ban music and readings with any religious themes. Heterosexual people who marry in this way are no less 'married' than those who marry in a religious setting, surely? Why does the same not apply to homosexual couples? Why the insistence on a different terminology for what is essentially the same thing?

Not to mention, straight couples aren't ALLOWED to get civil partnerships. Trust me. I would have if I could.
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see or hear a single good reason why gay and lesbian people should not be afforded exactly the same rights in all walks of life as heterosexual people. and by a good single reason i obviously discount any reason that quotes any ridiculous religious texts.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I am proud to live in MA where gay marriage is legal.

I'm a straight married woman but I want my friends who are gay to have the same rights I do.

I want them to have employee benefits for their spouse. If one partner is in the hospital I want the other one to be by their side.

I know so many happily married gay couples. Here in MA we not only are the only state in the US to have universal health care, we also allow gays to marry. I would be ashamed to live in a state that did not allow gays to marry.

^Great post!
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm all for gay marriage. Two consenting adults should be allowed to marry one another. I also don't think it's fair to claim that marriage is religious when there are so many legal aspects involved - religion and law are supposed to be separate, after all. Not only that, but many straight couples choose to get married in a nonreligious setting and there's not nearly as much of an outcry about that.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    If you don't like gay marriage then don't get one. That easy.

This x a million!! I was pushed into the darkness of being a closet bisexual because my father was VERY homophobic. He has since met a couple of my friends who are lesbian and gay and adores them. I think his views have changed :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    the gays want to get married? the next thing you know, they're gonna want to pay taxes too!
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options

As a gay bloke who's been married, sorry, who has formed a Civil Partnership for over six years now since the law was changed here in the UK, I'd rather bigots had the courage of their convictions and just came right out and said "I don't agree with gay marriage because I don't like gays!" rather than hide their prejudice behind religious beliefs. It doesn't make the argument any more credible, and it unfairly tars with the same brush people who are religious, but not bigoted.

It's not that Christians hate gays at all, it is that they hate the sin. Ever heard the term "love thy neighbour as thine self"? that means that you rebuke the actions of sinners just like you would yourself when you sin.

^This is the problem with people. Its somehow a "SIN" to be with the person you love. No wonder I'm a Atheist.... I hate people I seriously do. They disgust me. Go crawl back under a rock & keep your idiotic opinions to yourself.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    the gays want to get married? the next thing you know, they're gonna want to pay taxes too!

This made me spit straight water out!
  • Saxmis
    Saxmis Posts: 84
    Options
    however I believe in personal choice. As long as it is not hurting other people I have no issue with it.

Coming out, who your partner is etc. is a choice.

You are born with your sexual orientation.

That is not a choice.
  • machinegunkate
    machinegunkate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Governments just want control over everything. They like to play strict parent while we play 'waaaaah but why can't I?!'

I'd love to see the day when the masses stop and think 'well hang on a sec, when was all the power over my own life taken away?' and REVOLT!!! YAH!!! >:D
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am really just in a state of confusion. I am a straight male. I personally am not remotely interested in being with another man, EVER period. I do like that for myself and cannot understand why people of the same sex would want to be with each-other, however I believe in personal choice. As long as it is not hurting other people I have no issue with it. With that being said, why would/should the Government recognize gay and lesbian marriage? I personally think the Government has ZERO rights to ANY marriage straight or gay. So please enlighten me.

I agree completely. Marriage is a RELIGIOUS institution and the government has no business in it to begin with.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Cool Im gonna marry my dogs so my insurance will pay for their vet bills, Those Vet bills get pricey

Comparing the loving union of 2 people to beastiality is not only insulting, but also reveals an alarming lack of emotional intelligence and most likely regular old intelligence as well.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    As a Christian...I think that people are gay just like a person is born with blond hair! Seems like to many so call christians are picking which laws they follow...and if the scripture you are refering to in " NO man shall lie with another man" then boy scouts everywhere are sinning homosexuals! Dear fellow Christians...get the hell over it! God would be ashamed of you! He'd be down right pissed at your behavior! To the gays/ lesbians it is legal in Iowa and your welcome to get married in my back yard!! Its really beautiful here :)
  • muggs1090
    muggs1090 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just want a quick tally of how many "traditional" marriages were ruined by the appeals courts ruling in favor of gay marriage? Its sad, as a lesbian woman in a 13 year commited relationship my partner and I got wills and legal paperwork drawn up to protect one another and we had to pay individually instead of jointly as a couple! Just sad!