Personal trainer wanting to help:)

Options

Replies

• Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Input always welcome :) Add if you'd like!
  • lynaer
    Options
    bump
  • cyndy1214
    cyndy1214 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am interested in all the help I can get.
  • Harlin12
    Harlin12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nutza999
    Options
    Hi, I'm a personal trainer and I see a lot of people that seem to be "lost" in their attempts at weight loss/ fitness goals. So if anyone has any questions regarding cardio/lifting/nutrition I would love to help you. Either reply in the forum or send me a message and I'll get back to you asap. You can also add me if you like, I try to make every effort to support and motivate everyone to reach their goals because I know a lot of people may have little to no support offline.

Thanks,
    Nate

Certified NSCA Fitness Trainer
    Studied Kinestheology and Nutrition
    Thank you, I new now i use treadmill. I problem i tell you.
  • SenseAtional
    Options
    Hi Nate,

Thanks for offering to help.

I have a few questions for you. To give you a little background, I'm a 25 year old female, 5'5", 160 pounds. I have PCOS (although I haven't been tested in years, so it may have gone away as I lost weight). I've lost 30 pounds in the last year and a half (10 since January 1). I work out 6 times a week, for at least an hour a day. For cardio, I do Zumba, elliptical, spin class, or Wii Just Dance 3. I do strength training twice a week (Les Mills Body Pump) and 25 pushups every day. I eat 1200 calories a day (don't look at today's diary - it's the only day I've eaten poorly). I think you can look at my diary; if not, add me as a friend and you'll be able to.

1. I've hit a plateau - what should I do to break through this? Please don't tell me to up my calories, because when I do, I gain.
    2. I know I can't spot reduce, but it seems as though all my weight has come off my legs and chest, but all the belly fat stays. Am I doing something wrong/should I be doing something else?
    3. Do you have any suggestions on improving knee health/flexibility? Since I've been working out more intensely, I feel a teensy bit of pain in my knees. Should I be taking some sort of supplement for my joints? (I'm a life-long vegetarian recently turned pescatarian. I take a multivitamin, green tea supplement, and iron supplement every day).
    4. I've fractured both of my tibias a few times over the past year from working out too hard (and possibly from wearing heels). Do you have any exercises to improve the condition of my tibias? Also, do you have suggestions for improving ankle strength?

Thanks!!
  • TamiKiki
    TamiKiki Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi I have a few questions.

One thing I'm wondering, I've lost 35 pounds, yet MFP has me eating the same amount (1200 net). How is it possible that the calories needed to lose a pound at 175lbs the same at 140lbs? It is a higher number to maintain the weight at 175 than to maintain at 140, yet to lose a pound/week at either weight its 1200 calories net. When I was in weight watchers, we had to re-evaluate every 10 pounds.

I workout up to two hours in one time (first half is usually muscle work/circuits, 2nd half cardio). As you know, protein afterwards prevents the body from burning muscle instead of fat. I always wondered if that 24g of protein shake is enough. Should I be taking something mid workout?

Thanks!

Thats kind of complicated.... you are right that it takes more cals to maintain the bigger you are, but at the same time the more weight you lose the harder is to continue to lose weight. Its a little abstract but the cals shouldn't differ to much. Aim for .7grams of protein to 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, so for you 100 grams or more is ideal.

Muito Obrigado- Thanks! ;)
  • crystalcreek
    Options
    BUMP - coming back tomorrow
  • IslandDer
    Options
    Bump!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Ok Nate, Here come the protein questions. If I weigh 240 with a goal weight of 140, do I eat 1g of protein for what I weigh now and adjust down as I lose? I don't know if I could get that much in per day! I am now incorporating more protein shakes into my day to get those protein numbers up but I wonder, How many shakes are too many? 3 perday would give me appx 90g with low carbs and fats and leave me about 1/2 my cals to eat whole foods. Input/comments? Please add as friend if you like.
    Thanks
  • ashhills
    ashhills Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I recently started running. I have degenerating disks in my neck which seem to be aggrivated by this. I also have knees that crunch when I walk up and down stairs. Is running safe for me? Is there anything I should be doing to help these issues? I don't want to stop!

I would be very careful, you may want to try something that is lower impact like walking on a treadmill, elliptical, bike or swimming. Clicking or crunching in your knees would generally point to damage/lack of cartilege meaning your knee has no cushion. Take it slow and see what works, obviously if there is moderate discomfort stop the specific activity.

Thank you! Today its my neck that is still hurting pretty bad. Thank goodness I have acupuncture tonight! :)
  • joyfuljan77
    joyfuljan77 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    following for the helpful info
  • allibrie29
    allibrie29 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    *Bump
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • allnewskinnyme
    allnewskinnyme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many calories are burned doing 60 minutes of Zumba?

Some questions are great for google... this website uses your weight and calculates it for you. http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi Nate - Thanks for your offer! My question is about strength training and weight loss. I'm 42 and 195 after 35lbs lost (took me 2 years). I can't stick to very low calorie diets so my goals have slower, 1-2 pounds per month, and 6 months ago I started heavy lifting, first with the New Rules of Lifting for Women and now Strong Lifts 5x5. I am definitely getting stronger, I can feel the muscle, see some of the changes, but my weight has shifted very little since september - and neither have my measurements. I eat on average about 2000 calories a day and workout 4-5 x per week with 45 minutes of compound moves (squat, bench press, deadlifts, etc.) and HIIT on the treadmill, and elliptical or zumba in between. The amount I'm eating is smack in the middle of the various recommendations for me, and I don't know if I should be cutting calories back to create a bigger deficit or add more in because I'm not fueling my body enough for the workouts I'm doing. I'm making good strength gains (100 pound squats, 145 deadlift, and 135 pound lat pull downs, fror a frame of reference) but I'm at 39% body fat and that needs to change. Any advice would be helpful.
  • barwood
    barwood Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bump