girls who hit on guys who are taken (or vice versa)

Options

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    One: Is this wrong?

Two: If it is, who is at fault? The person who does the hitting, or the person who allows themself to be hit on?

Opinions.

How does one allow themselves to be hit on? It just happens sometimes. I get it at work all the time, guys will ask me out knowing I have someone.
    What makes me mad is how bitter they get after I say no. I'm never mean about it but I'm pretty firm...and they get so butt hurt....and some of these guys are attached as well. Pretty sad.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Right I don't think the partner should be obligated to say something about the guys calling her sexy on her profile. However if she had a co-worker emailing her those things regularly that would be a completely different story and she should tell him to stop.

Agreed - if she knew someone close, I'd be very upset if she played along and went with it and kept it on the QT. Someone she's spending 8-10 hours a day with can develop into something more much more easily - heck they spend more time with said person than yourself and is perfect for this kind of thing to develop.

Fortunately, my OH, despite us going thro the grinder recently will tell me if she's ever hit on in the real world.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    What would you hope to gain from offeriing chocolate ice cream to a person whom you know is specifically not eating it or anything else fattening? Knowing that it would undermine their plans in the long run?
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    What would you hope to gain from offeriing chocolate ice cream to a person whom you know is specifically not eating it or anything else fattening? Knowing that it would undermine their plans in the long run?

Watching her lick it would be hot of course! :bigsmile:
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

There is that...
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    there's really nothing wrong with flirting. but there is a fine line when you're taken.

Also i don't understand people who say it's not big deal because it's on the internet, as if things can't progress past the internet. Sure it's just on the internet now but that doesn't mean things can't happen in real life.

I found my ex talking to several different women on the internet and he said it was no big deal because it's just harmless flirting on the internet so i shrugged it off...then a few months later I found out he actually did something with a couple of those women.
    So to act like it doesn't matter because it's on the internet is ridiculous.

I'm not saying everyone who flirts is going to cheat, i'm not stupid. I'm just saying that flirting on the internet isn't always harmless.

When it really comes down to it though it's about the two people in a relationship and what they're comfortable with.
  • ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    Example......Your partner is with you on MFP and they see men commenting on your profile constantly....calling you beautiful...sexy....etc and YOU say nothing to these men...acting as if its ok or as if you are single..and YOU know your partner clearly has a problem with it but you continue to let it happen because you dont want to seem rude or hurt these mens feelings....I say screw their feelings your partners feelings should matter most....sorry just ranting LOL

Sounds to me like she wasn't that into you, and that she was hiding you from other people so she could continue to flirt.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

lol wronnnng answerrrr lol
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever been hit on? or hit on anyone... So I got nuthin!....

I'm with you. If anyone has ever hit on me, I haven't been aware of it. And if I have ever hit on someone else, it was unintentional (and, again, I wasn't aware of it).
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I think flirting is healthy, but like others have said there is a line that shouldn't be crossed and a point where the person should say hey man I am taken. :flowerforyou:
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

lol wronnnng answerrrr lol

Sorry, I should have provided illustration. :tongue:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdN1McORAVZ-PmuHUlc0ahVdn9lZn39XaDUq7JBx360J2PjZjW
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    my hubby and i both flirt and theres no wrong in that what so ever!!! as long as it stays with flirting its ok we know our limits and trust each other!!!
  • vpoleto11
    Options
    My husband and I both flirt with the opposite sex, we both know what lines to not cross though. I think it's up to the couple about this kind of thing.

Getting hit on by men just happens and you have to say thanks/get a free drink and walk away :D haha
  • SewerUrchin
    Options
    Hitting on someone who you know is taken is kind of a d*ck move. Giving into those advances even moreso.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Flirting is flirting. It's when they sleep together that you should worry. Life's too short to worry about people hitting on each other.

This
  • MomsTooBig
    MomsTooBig Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It is morally wrong to hit on someone who is already taken.

However I don't get #2. Why would it be the fault of someone who gets hit on? If you act on it then you are wrong as well (and worse than the person from #1), but the mere act of getting hit on doesn't mean you are morally wrong at all.

Good point. I misread/misinterpreted the second question possibly.

I thought it meant if the 'hitting on' was reciprocated or more specifically...'acted upon'.

If the person knows someone is taken, then it's wrong to pursue it.
    If the person being hit on accepts and acts upon it, then they are most definitely wrong too!

If someone is being hit on, it's not their fault. They can't help someone else's actions, .....they can only control their's

Do you think the person who reciprocates is worse than the person who is hitting on them? I do. I think their responsibility to being faithful to their own significant other is much greater than the person outside of that relationship not to interfere. So for that reason I don't get the people who have more anger at the mistress than they do at their own cheating partner.

I don't think one is anymore wrong then the other...wrong is wrong. Period.
    Anger stems from hurt, and I think more of the blame/anger is going to fall on who 'hurt' you more.
    If the person who is doing the 'hitting' is a close friend/family member etc....it can hurt just as much as the reciprocators actions

In my situation, my partner's lack of commitment definitely hurt more (thus yes, more of my anger lied with him) because we'd been together so long. The anger at the mistress was up there on the scale too though as we knew her and she was a friend of the family. Our kids played together, and there were many times my ex and I listened to/supported her because she was upset about some other woman who had stolen her guy....

I've tried to let much of it go.
    Karma is wonderful and has helped eased some of my pain :wink:
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Disregard flirting, aquire aesthetics

az11.jpg

been with my wife for 7 years. No cheating or flirting.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Example......Your partner is with you on MFP and they see men commenting on your profile constantly....calling you beautiful...sexy....etc and YOU say nothing to these men...acting as if its ok or as if you are single..and YOU know your partner clearly has a problem with it but you continue to let it happen because you dont want to seem rude or hurt these mens feelings....I say screw their feelings your partners feelings should matter most....sorry just ranting LOL

Can't agree with this. A comment on MFP is a harmless appreciation of someone's work. Heck, I'd have to take my pictures off FB and MFP.

Howeve, arranging to meet someone off MFP is not ok LOL

How you doin'? ;) Kidding!!
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is, if it was your SO in the position of the flirter or the flirtee, how would it make you feel? Would it make you want to bust some skulls? Or wouldnt you really care?
    Being very low in self-esteem, poor self image, lacking in confidence (yes, im a piece of work, huh?) I'd likely be pissed if it was him that was flirting and/or accepting the flirting.

Joking is one thing. Cyber-humping is another lol
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Harmless flirting doesn't hurt anyone, and some jealousy is good for a relationship.