MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    I ran a slow 4 1/4 miles this morning but it felt like 241/4! I feel like I'm just old and falling apart! Just one thing after the other; my hip is killin again, somethings wrong with my knee, and plantar flac.... Dont know how to spell it! I love running so much and I feel like maybe I wasn't meant to run. Anyone else fighting off numerous injuries? Sorry I'm so sad...:frown:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    christine918, I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes it seems just like you are finally getting a routine going and life throws a wrench at you.

As far as the plantar fasciatis, my foot doctor told me to do exactly what I kept reading you shouldn't do and that was to keep running. Mainly because it helps keep the muscles and tissues warmed up and easy to stretch. That along with a regimen of aleve, ice and some inexpensive orthotics from my doc and my feet haven't given me any problems in over a year now (knock on wood).

Just listen to your body and a trip to the doctor never hurts, just to make sure nothing is too serious a problem. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm sad to say I'm back from vacation...:ohwell: I had a great time with my family at the beach for a week. I'm proud to report I did a good job keeping up with my running. I even got a 15 mile long run in last Sunday. Running on the beach was incredible. I did 2 days where I ran on the beach and the rest I ran on the road/paths.

This morning I did my regular neighborhood route for 8.2 miles. Definitely not as scenic as watching the waves crash onto the shore, but nice nonetheless!

I have a lot of catching up to do on this thread!

Have a great day everyone...I'm off to my son's baseball tournament!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    christine918, I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes it seems just like you are finally getting a routine going and life throws a wrench at you.

As far as the plantar fasciatis, my foot doctor told me to do exactly what I kept reading you shouldn't do and that was to keep running. Mainly because it helps keep the muscles and tissues warmed up and easy to stretch. That along with a regimen of aleve, ice and some inexpensive orthotics from my doc and my feet haven't given me any problems in over a year now (knock on wood).

Just listen to your body and a trip to the doctor never hurts, just to make sure nothing is too serious a problem. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:

I agree!! It can be hard to deal w/ injuries, I've had my fair share. My podiatrist told me the same thing. I trained for a marathon dealing w/ plantar fasciitis. It felt better after I got running and warmed up. It was horrible first thing in the morning!! I used a frozen water bottle to rub the bottoms of my feet and also a tennis and bouncy ball. Do NOT go barefoot and do NOT wear flipflops. Get a good pair of tennis shoes and keep them on your feet!!! You can get over it, but you need to be really diligent about it! And also, you can take Aleve (Naproxen) for about 3 weeks to help.

Good luck!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm sad to say I'm back from vacation...:ohwell: I had a great time with my family at the beach for a week. I'm proud to report I did a good job keeping up with my running. I even got a 15 mile long run in last Sunday. Running on the beach was incredible. I did 2 days where I ran on the beach and the rest I ran on the road/paths.

This morning I did my regular neighborhood route for 8.2 miles. Definitely not as scenic as watching the waves crash onto the shore, but nice nonetheless!

I have a lot of catching up to do on this thread!

Have a great day everyone...I'm off to my son's baseball tournament!
    Good job working out on vacation! I did the same thing, ran most every morning, but on the treadmill. welcome home to reality! :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Well... after my long workout y'day I decided to go to the Y for a shorter workout. :wink: I did 15 min on the elliptical, then a 2 mile power incline walk on the treadmill followed by a 600 yd swim.

2 kids and my dh are at his parents house and my oldest is coming home from church camp today! House to myself... time to clean! :laugh:
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Oh, I LOVE running on the beach. We spent 2 weeks at Myrtle Beach last September and I ran on the beach and watched the sun come up over the ocean as often as possible!
  • jodi0117
    Options
    Had a great, very hilly, very hot 10k race this morning! I broke out of my 10-min mile routine and ran 9.37/min. miles to finish in 59.43. My best time ever! Woo-hoo!

My 11yo daughter ran her first race, a 1 miler in 7.21. I'm so proud of her! I just know she is going to smoke me in a 5k any day now.....

Happy weekend to all!
    Jodi
  • jodi0117
    Options

2 kids and my dh are at his parents house and my oldest is coming home from church camp today! House to myself... time to clean! :laugh:

No, don't do it--don't clean house--you're ALONE in your house, relax and enjoy the quiet!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Had a great, very hilly, very hot 10k race this morning! I broke out of my 10-min mile routine and ran 9.37/min. miles to finish in 59.43. My best time ever! Woo-hoo!

My 11yo daughter ran her first race, a 1 miler in 7.21. I'm so proud of her! I just know she is going to smoke me in a 5k any day now.....

Happy weekend to all!
    Jodi

Good job!!!!!!! To you and to your dd also!! That is awesome! Isn't it fun to do a race w/ your kids?? My girls love the kids races, it's so fun!
  • jessmomof3
    Options

No, don't do it--don't clean house--you're ALONE in your house, relax and enjoy the quiet!

Hahaha! I am enjoying the quiet. I actually *like* to clean (one of my OCD quirks). I am tackling their rooms... with no helpers I've gotten a lot done! :laugh: I will be relaxing on Monday, they are going to be gone until Tues!! :wink:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Week 2 of training complete!

Just got in from this week's long run, another 6 miles...did it in 1:17:07. Felt much better than last week's. Not sure if it was because I drank water, or went earlier in the day...but I feel wonderful. I'm starting to get a lot more comfortable with the longer distances, and if I stick with my Runners World training program, I have no doubt that I'll be able to run the whole 13.1 miles this fall. Too exciting, especially for a girl who was, at one point, slowly working her way up to 300 pounds. :bigsmile:

Happy Running!
  • jodi0117
    Options

Good job!!!!!!! To you and to your dd also!! That is awesome! Isn't it fun to do a race w/ your kids?? My girls love the kids races, it's so fun!

Thanks! I mostly love that I can be an influence for fitness for my kids and hopefully they will love it from an early age and stick with it!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I got my seven miler done and I survived! I felt the usual annoying feeling mile 2 to 3 but then felt great at mile 5-6 and then the last one I was just looking for the damn finishing place! :laugh:

Beautiful scenery and wonderful weather also made it enjoyable! Hope everyone has a good weekend!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi Running buddies, happy Saturday.
    I broke out of my comfort zone and met a local running group at the Park this morning. It was a little intimidating because I didn't know anyone and there are some really fast runners but once we started everyone broke into pace groups and it was really nice.

It definitely challenged me which I think is good for my training. Right now I'm a little torn because I have a group that I am truly friends with and love to run with, but we consistently do our long runs at about 10:30-11:00 minute miles. This morning, I ran 10 miles and kept a 9:27 pace!! Didn't know anyone and didn't say much, just focused on the running. So, what do you do- run with friends and not challenge yourself as much or focus more on what's best for your training? Of course I can always try to get my friends to come with me, but I don't think they will. :embarassed:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Hi Running buddies, happy Saturday.
    I broke out of my comfort zone and met a local running group at the Park this morning. It was a little intimidating because I didn't know anyone and there are some really fast runners but once we started everyone broke into pace groups and it was really nice.

It definitely challenged me which I think is good for my training. Right now I'm a little torn because I have a group that I am truly friends with and love to run with, but we consistently do our long runs at about 10:30-11:00 minute miles. This morning, I ran 10 miles and kept a 9:27 pace!! Didn't know anyone and didn't say much, just focused on the running. So, what do you do- run with friends and not challenge yourself as much or focus more on what's best for your training? Of course I can always try to get my friends to come with me, but I don't think they will. :embarassed:

Hey Jenny,

I'd say challenge yourself! Your friends will understand. The thing is though, you wouldn't be able to run with them much at all because it won't help you to run slower at least for training purposes. If you run with the same people in the new club then you may get to know them and they can become your friends. Good luck, sounds like the training is going great! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I haven't been running all that much, ran 6 a couple days ago and lifted twice, I've been really sore from that because I'm new to lifting weights at the gym at least... I'll get back at it next week! Happy Running all!

~Leash :heart:
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Jenny, that's awesome!!! Running groups are so great.

In my mind the answer is easy. Make friends in the 9 group. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting new people and friends when I was in our local running group. I had my wogger friends, then my 10min friends, then made 9min friends, 8m, 7m, 6m, etc... They are all nice, except the 6min group is all business but still made lot's of good friends there too. It takes some time, but runners are friendly folks and you may be surprised what may develop.

Keep it up, I am so happy for you.

Raymond
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Shuntae--I am grinning from ear to ear and shaking my head in agreement. Isnt it amazing--that confident calm feeling that you will be able to run those miles?? I love it! I am so proud of you!!

Jenny--I agree that you should use the group to your advantage. If you want to improve time then go for it. Theres no reason though that you cant run with both and just use it to your advantage! Good luck!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday morning:flowerforyou:

7 miles for me today. The stars did not align for me today.:smile: It was a pretty hard run. I felt like giving up several times but I kept on running. I've been eating crap for the last 2 days. For example, I ate 3 krispy kreme doughnuts yesterday.:embarassed: Plus, I stayed up too late last night. And if that wasn't enough - I have been losing a fight with allergies and congestion. Combine all of that with heat and humidity and I was glad I survived my run today.:drinker: