Lighten the **** up!

Options

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I track my calories and follow my macros because it keeps me on goal, and it works. 21.5 lbs gone in 9 weeks with this simple plan and exercise.

I am a complete and utter junk food addict, and at one point, it was all I was eating, it was an obsession. It was also an unhealthy coping mechanism for my depression. So I take the abstinence approach because I know for me, giving myself permission for one leads to giving myself permission for two, then three and so on, and it's a very dark road I have no desire to go down again.

Further to that, eating junk food means eating a large portion of my calorie allowance, making it exceedingly difficult to ensure I hit my protein, fibre and calcium goals. So for me, counting calories and restricting junk IS important.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    People define "treat" differently. Go ahead and have your rant. But, I do not feel deprived if I don't eat sweets when I want them, and not having them or wanting them often doesn't mean "I'm *not* only human." If sweets are your treat, great. But just because I don't feel the same way doesn't mean that I am somehow not "living." I define true "living" separate from food. Food was interfering with me truly "living" before. Now I enjoy it for what it is meant to be - fuel for my body, delicious fuel, but fuel nonetheless. My "treats" are feeling awesome physically and mentally and emotionally as a result of improved health and fitness.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I love how some people are getting all upset at this thread.

Go back to stalking people's diaries and telling them to lay off of the fast food. Meanwhile I'm going to the Gym and the directly to Chuck E Cheese's (which so happens to be directly next door) and getting me a 1100 calorie plate of breadsticks. And I be damned if ANY of you tell me otherwise! :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. I can't believe there's people who take offense to this! :laugh:

Seriously... what's so hard to figure out? If you're counting every calorie and are happy with your progress and love everything you're eating... that's great. You don't need to lighten up, except that you're taking something personally that isn't directed to you.

If you're counting every calorie and stressing out over what one candy bar (or cake, pizza, pasta, breadstick, wine, etc.) might do to you... if it's preventing you from living a normal social life and/or you think your friends are trying to sabotage you by inviting you out for munchies or offering you some potato chips... then you need to get a grip.
  • michellecorvin
    michellecorvin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Amen sista!
  • weightloss43154
    weightloss43154 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    well said
  • claire7090
    Options
    Well said - on the whole I eat healthy food but I do eat some chocolate and the occassional bag of crisps and I have lost weight steadily (just over 1lb a week). I am now aiming to maintain and this week managed to lose a pound despite eating more which was a great surprise.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    That's been my motto since I started this. My hubby and I agreed that there are days that we will go over calories for whatever reason and we agreed that when we want something, we should just have it because denying yourself makes it worse and then when you finally break down and have it, you go way over board.

Much easier to have the cookie or the candy and satisfy your need instead of waiting until you're craving it and eat a whole sleeve of cookies!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    its great that most people can actually pactice moderation with sweets and treats and what not. some people just cant and must avoid it totally. what is confuisng to me is the feeling that those who are avoiding it are stick in the muds who must be living miserable lives. feeling deprived is a mental thing. once cravings are gone after abstinance then your body is not being deprived. so to say you are deprived is a choice to feel that way.

what I do not get though is how some folks seem to brag about their ability to have their treats in moderation.

whatever.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I eat six Kit Kats a day..I don't see the big deal.
  • misslilylou
    misslilylou Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I really needed this! BRAVO!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Now just get people to vote for the Orange KitKat Chunky.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you're counting every calorie and stressing out over what one candy bar (or cake, pizza, pasta, breadstick, wine, etc.) might do to you... if it's preventing you from living a normal social life and/or you think your friends are trying to sabotage you by inviting you out for munchies or offering you some potato chips... then you need to get a grip.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. But I resent people who try to imply that eating otherwise is somehow not living, that people who actually don't like those things are somehow missing out. It's just as silly as those who say the *only* way to lose weight and be successful is to eat clean 100% of the time. I try to eat clean a good portion of the time because I want to be as healthy as I can be and I know I feel better when I mostly eat clean. But I also do enjoy some not-so-clean stuff. But posts like this are just as ridiculous to me as those who think vegans are somehow not living because we don't eat animals. I eat delicious food all the time. Perhaps if the OP had stated it more like this, there would be more agreement. I do think it's sad when I see people post about all the things they "can't" have, because it really isn't true (unless, as dave198 pointed out, you really are one of those people who cannot control yourself with moderation) and they're probably making themselves miserable, but the OP seemed quite judgmental.
  • Tiffaney82690
    Options
    Kit Kat Chunky!? green tea kit kat?!? where are you guys shopping I have never seen or heard of either and Im a kit kat fanatic
  • tssa
    tssa Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    OH, I TOTALLY AGREE.

I cringe at some of the posts people put on here freaking out about eating this or that. I've lost 71 pounds and don't feel the least bit deprived of my "comfort foods". Last night, I ate pizza and I loved every bite. Didn't feel the least bit guilty about it because I feel I need to allow myself those little treats. If there's cake at the office potluck, I have a sensible piece or slice and don't beat myself up about it.

This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. Diets can not be maintained over long periods of time but committing to eating healthy, sensible, and REALISTIC meals/snacks 80 - 90% of the time and exercising regularly is much easier to be successful at. So........enjoy eating the foods you love for that other 10 - 20% of the time.

Cheers!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    And to think for the past week i`ve been depriving myself of my saturday 14 pints of bitter and a giant mixed grill kebab along with garlic bread, cheese and mushrooms...And the kebab weighs in at a whopping 5 n a 1/2 pounds...
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    :heart: Applause!!! :heart:

THIS!!
  • katzmeow_83
    katzmeow_83 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Totally agree <3
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The OP wasn't picking on those who, for some reason or other, need to abstain from certain foods. I think they were mostly targeting the uptight people who like to spread the gospel of self-deprivation.

I think it's more important to achieve a good relationship with food (like learning HOW to eat junk food in moderation) than to lose weight. For some people, that should be their first step towards being healthy, not a diet. Fix the problem not the symptoms.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had a glass of wine last night... and probably three other nights last week... I'm not losing sleep over it. Weight loss should be a lifestyle change, not just a quick fix. There's no need to completely give up the foods that make you happy. One glass of wine instead of one bottle. One slice of pizza instead of the entire thing. Moderation :)
This discussion has been closed.