Lighten the **** up!

Options

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Yep! I was SO strict last year, it got old.

Last weekend I went away for the weekend with my love and we ate what we wanted and drank what we wanted had had a fabulous time, and I did NOT gain a single pound :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It is a fail if you have a binge that lasts for months. You convince yourself that you failed and then continue binging for months until you get it together again. This is called yo-yo dieting. If instead you had a guilt free binge or treat thought nothing of it and went back to eating to lose weight then you win.

What I mean is that it's never "over," and it's not an all or nothing, win or lose (lose or gain?) situation.

A good friend of mine stopped logging food and exercise for a few months and just lived a normal life. Went on dates, had good food, celebrated Christmas and New Years. Exercised every so often, but didn't make it a huge priority. Gained a few pounds back, then got back on the horse and is losing again. I wouldn't say she failed or is yo-yo-ing.

It's all part of the process. Like riding a bike... every child expects to fall down when they're learning to ride a bike. They don't say they're a failure when it happens. But somehow, when we're adults, we don't give ourselves room for anything other than perfection.

You changed what you said. What your friend did is take a break it was not a full out binge like you were talking about and I replied to.
  • kmfolkins
    kmfolkins Posts: 64
    Options
    :drinker: Amen :drinker:
  • dr0p4ah0y
    dr0p4ah0y Posts: 22
    Options
    I like you. I like you and your face.

And the food from the Cheesecake Factory I ate earlier today likes you too, just saying.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I love how some people are getting all upset at this thread.

Go back to stalking people's diaries and telling them to lay off of the fast food. Meanwhile I'm going to the Gym and the directly to Chuck E Cheese's (which so happens to be directly next door) and getting me a 1100 calorie plate of breadsticks. And I be damned if ANY of you tell me otherwise! :flowerforyou:

lol love it! you go miss thang.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It is a fail if you have a binge that lasts for months. You convince yourself that you failed and then continue binging for months until you get it together again. This is called yo-yo dieting. If instead you had a guilt free binge or treat thought nothing of it and went back to eating to lose weight then you win.

What I mean is that it's never "over," and it's not an all or nothing, win or lose (lose or gain?) situation.

A good friend of mine stopped logging food and exercise for a few months and just lived a normal life. Went on dates, had good food, celebrated Christmas and New Years. Exercised every so often, but didn't make it a huge priority. Gained a few pounds back, then got back on the horse and is losing again. I wouldn't say she failed or is yo-yo-ing.

It's all part of the process. Like riding a bike... every child expects to fall down when they're learning to ride a bike. They don't say they're a failure when it happens. But somehow, when we're adults, we don't give ourselves room for anything other than perfection.

You changed what you said. What your friend did is take a break it was not a full out binge like you were talking about and I replied to.

I didn't change what I said. I said something different. What I originally said is still in the other post. And I still believe that EVEN IF (not that I'm recommending it) you go on a binge for a few months, you shouldn't beat yourself up over it because, until you're dead and buried, there's always time to turn it around. Nothing is permanent or irreversible.
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Well said!! :happy:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I agree 99% with the OP.

My only teeny niggle is kit kats are gross! Give me cheese and biscuits, or hotel chocolate truffles or Tyrells crisps every time.

That aside. Well said. Too many people get way too bogged down in the detail.
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thumbs up
  • craig61
    craig61 Posts: 40
    Options
    strawberry bullets are my down fall i open the packet intending to have a couple,before i know it a 200gram packet is empty lol
    i just exercise it of .
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    :
    Now bring on the wine. :laugh: :drinker:

I am soooo with you. I'll even share..... \_/ here's a glass for you
    :drinker: Cheers!
  • suziecue66
    Options

I didn't change what I said. I said something different. What I originally said is still in the other post. And I still believe that EVEN IF (not that I'm recommending it) you go on a binge for a few months, you shouldn't beat yourself up over it because, until you're dead and buried, there's always time to turn it around. Nothing is permanent or irreversible.

said something different then. yes there is always time to turn it around after a binge but if you keep doing it for years you become a yo-yo dieter. People go on long binges because they feel like a failure. the trick is to have your cheat snack, meal or day and go back to weight loss plan the next day.
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options

Ummm... not on topic, but you're GORGEOUS! :love:
  • MicknMona
    Options
    Totally disagree with you but that is ok. let us do it our way and you do it yours.

When you feel guilty don't take it out on those of us that are trying to take control over our bodies.

i see nothing wrong with those of you that binge from time to time. Different goals for different folks.

Some of us have put this off for years. Now it is a matter of life or death. Time to be deadly serious about making permanent lifestyle changes.

just stay sweet and keep the harmony of the forum.

:wink:
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Do what is right for you and don't worry about other people.

I agree...
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    For heaven's sake someone talk to my husband!

If he sees me eating anything "junky" he's convinced I'm screwing up! And he's not doing this with me!!! :explode:
  • irishbabe_78
    irishbabe_78 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    perfectly said! :drinker:
  • shawnadwyer
    shawnadwyer Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    just wanted i needed to rea thanks for the post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • emuhawk
    emuhawk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Totally disagree with you but that is ok. let us do it our way and you do it yours.

When you feel guilty don't take it out on those of us that are trying to take control over our bodies.

I'm pretty sure the OP's point was that there is no reason to feel guilty, and that the idea we should feel guilty for enjoying a treat (whatever that may be) is detrimental to the overall goal of living a fit life. Your post implies that the person who "binges" isn't trying to take control over his or her body. I save a few calories during the week so I can have a treat on the weekend. Does that mean I'm not trying to take control over my body? I see that as finding a way to work with my body to stay happy and fit at the same time. I stay within my weekly calorie goal, I lose weight, and I get to enjoy certain foods that I love. Will this work for everyone? Of course not. But it works for me, and for others in a similar situation they should not feel guilty or as if they have lost control. I took that as the point of the original post, and I wholeheartedly agree.
  • suziecue66
    Options

I'm pretty sure the OP's point was that there is no reason to feel guilty, and that the idea we should feel guilty for enjoying a treat (whatever that may be) is detrimental to the overall goal of living a fit life. Your post implies that the person who "binges" isn't trying to take control over his or her body. I save a few calories during the week so I can have a treat on the weekend. Does that mean I'm not trying to take control over my body? I see that as finding a way to work with my body to stay happy and fit at the same time. I stay within my weekly calorie goal, I lose weight, and I get to enjoy certain foods that I love. Will this work for everyone? Of course not. But it works for me, and for others in a similar situation they should not feel guilty or as if they have lost control. I took that as the point of the original post, and I wholeheartedly agree.

The OP did say. - some of you eat fruit and veg and protein all the time - what the ...
    this is implying something wrong with you if you don't enjoy a treat.
    I agree with his main point of have a treat and don't feel guilty as you shouldn't. If treats part of your diet and you are losing that's great. Everyone has to do what works. I have some treats as it keeps me sane.
This discussion has been closed.