cursing + having little kids ==

Options

Replies

• AnneH1977
    AnneH1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    "Id rather have my little girl curse & listen to rob zombie rather than have her nose in books all day. EW!!"

And we wonder why we're slipping down the list of intelligent countries.

Ya know, there are girls who do all of the above...just saying.

<~ example.

My children haven't heard it from me once. And music choices do not decide intelligence level.
    I love it.
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Definitely a Nay. Good parents at least "try" to shield their children from it. Thats just my opinion and how I was raised and I turned out awesome! *oh yeah and since I did not go with the cursing crowd on this thread, all I can say is, "let the bashing begin"
  • Meggs209
    Meggs209 Posts: 6
    Options
    My daddy always used to say:

Swearng is the attempt of a feeble mind to express itself
  • gwensmamma1234
    Options
    Yay, but I don't do try to censor a little. I don't worry too much about it though since my daughter is a well behaved, polite, and respectable little girl. I raise her right, and I happen to curse along the way lol
  • kansaslifter
    kansaslifter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't swear at my kids. I never swore at their mother. My son once mouthed the f-bomb to his mother and I collared him, nose to nose, and told him not in my house and NEVER to his mother. (We are divorced.)

It's about respect. My parents taught me the English language and I can communicate very effectively without swearing. I had a boss that swore whenever he didn't get his way. He is the company CEO. I have hung up on him a few times for swearing at me. There's no cause for it. I do swear, but it's rare.

My guess is that any profession that the kids choose will probably frown on swearing in the work place. And freedom of speech does not always apply there.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've cursed since I grew up and left my parents home. That was our family rule. As a child in their home, cursing was not allowed. If I did it in my circle of friends to look like a badass, well, that was just at my own risk. I'm the same with my children. They know what all of the adult words are. They know that they are children in my house and are subject to the rules of my house or of any grown-ups house. If they are unsure of a rule, they are welcome to ask but are required to follow them respectfully. Of course, this only happens about 80% of the time because they're little kids.... they forget to put their shoes away and I trip over them. They leave a wild Lego on the floor from time to time, etc. They do not curse. The worst I've ever heard one of them say was 'damn' and that was quickly stopped in its tracks. My Mason was about 3 and couldn't find his 'damn sock'. That was the end of that mess. I don't think I've scarred them for life. I think I've given them the knowledge they need to follow the rules that I want followed. I'm an adult and I don't walk on eggshells around my own home. That goes for a lot more than cursing as well. If I choose to watch TV when they go to bed, that doesn't mean they can stay up and sneak back into the living room to watch TV. I make sure they know that they have different rules to follow because they are children. I also do my best not to negotiate with them. Sometimes I give in when they want an extra snack or want to finish a movie that ends at 8:15 on a non-school night (bedtime is 8:00 p.m. sharp). I do not negotiate about the rules though. A time out is a time out whether they apologize or not. No means no and will not be discussed. I love them more than my own life, but I don't raise my children as my friends. I'm a parent first and foremost.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    I swear, hubby swears, we just don't swear in front of the kids (8, 6 and 16 months). Actually, that's not true...the baby has heard me swear, but she's not going to rat me out. That being said, they hear stuff at school. They test it out at home. My 6 year old daughter LOVES announcing that someone in her class dropped the F-bomb, because she gets to say it many times. "Do you know what (name) said? He said F%^&. He said F%^& in front of the teacher. We're not supposed to say F%^&." Okay, sweetie, point taken. :laugh:
    I tell my kids they are ugly words that grown-ups use when they're mad and that little kids shouldn't say them. Simple and straightforward.
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I didn't swear till I had kids. ;)
  • alucard75
    alucard75 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I swear a lot...kids hear me, they not what bads words are and that they cannot say them. Sometimes it is a stress reliever to release a few colorfull words.

my Favs are:
    Happy horse *kitten*
    clown **** mother fvcker

Feel free to shout them out trust me you'll feel better after you do...
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

In my experience, people who come from "good" (kind, wealthy, well-educated and well-traveled) families do NOT swear nearly as much as those who come from "bad" families.

You have GOT to be kidding me.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I curse, I keep it to a minimum infront of my 2.5 year old. My son mimicks me. I'm not a do as I say, not as I do kind of person. I had to change a couple of things about who I am when I became a mom, to me it was a part of basic responsibility. I don't get drunk on any given Wednesday, I don't watch adult primarily programming whenever I want, I don't drive like an *kitten* hole anymore, and I'm aware of where I store things.

I think when I drink because I don't want to handle my son drunk, if the TV's on when he's awake it's educational (and not sex ed), I drive like I'm behind the wheel of a 2,000 pound death trap and go the speed limit, I lock up the windex because it looks like blue gateorade, the medicines have their own place, knives and scissors no long live where ever I last used them, and I keep my words in check. There are much better ways to articulate your thoughts and feelings than swearing, I just didn't realize how blurting out a word was holding me back. I think that by keeping it in check I'm not making them special words but instead teach him that there are better ways to express yourself.
    He's 2.5, he doesn't need to live in the land of adults where negativity, frustrations, and worry over money presides . . . I'm giving him the grace of child hood with as much innocence as I know how. Mine was stolen from me, he's going to keep his as long as possible.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My husband and I curse around our kids (5 and 3). We try to curb WHICH curse words our kids hear, but there's no way either of us could curb it 100%. I try to save it for our bowling night out when they aren't around, but it's just not possible. Our kids know which words are mommy and daddy words and actually ask us if something is a bad word or not.
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    I have cursed in front of my kid .He now curses ....and I hate it. He's really bright and has a fantastic vocabulary for a 10 year old. We've both started doing this thing where if one curses, the other will ask "isn't there a more educated and appropriate way to express your feelings right now?"
    Then we laugh and we do indeed find many acceptable and funny ways to voice what's bothering us--without profanity.
  • chrissyw63
    chrissyw63 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I was putting my son to bed early the other night for being a brat all day and disrespecting his mother.(he was tired) Anyway, on the way up the stairs he called me a "Vagina". It was hard not to laugh. Vagina- ha ha ha!

This just made my day.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Definitely a Nay. Good parents at least "try" to shield their children from it. Thats just my opinion and how I was raised and I turned out awesome! *oh yeah and since I did not go with the cursing crowd on this thread, all I can say is, "let the bashing begin"

Not gonna bash, I am actually curious... would you call someone who believe in NOT sheltering their children from things bad parents?

I grew up in a home where we were able to decide what music we listened to, what movies we watched, if we wanted to go to church or not, what to dress, how to do our hair and dress etc. (within reason of course)- I have never once swore at my mother, I have swore in her presence but never directly at her.

I turned out to be a pretty well adjusted adult. I swear, I have a degree and a half (had to drop out of school before I could get my 2nd degree because of work), I hold a full time job, and I curse worse then a sailor. I do however; always say please and thank you, I respect people of authourity, I dress appropriatly for where I am going (work, out with friends etc.) My hair has been every colour of the rainbow - and pretty much any style you can think. I am far from naiive - and as my mother puts it when asked why she allowed us to do what we wanted within reason "they have to learn sometime"

am not knocking you for NOT swearing or anything but I do think that saying "Good parents at least "try" to shield their children from it." is pretty harsh, my mother was/is a fantastic mother, just because she didn't stop me from swearing does not mean she was a bad mother. To me a bad parent is someone who neglects/beats their children... swearing infront of them does not equate to bad parenting.
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Definitely a Nay. Good parents at least "try" to shield their children from it.

*hangs head in shame for obviously not being a good parent............................
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Try not to cuss in front of your kids. Just sayin.
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Swearing is swearing. It's part of our language. But they need to understand that there is a time and a place for it, and that time is when they aren't children anymore. Sheltering them from it? Nope, as long as its not used to hurt someone anyway..

I also believe firmly believe that not teaching children the proper names for body parts breeds being ashamed of said parts of their bodies. I won't go into details, because I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Swearing is swearing. It's part of our language. But they need to understand that there is a time and a place for it, and that time is when they aren't children anymore. Sheltering them from it? Nope, as long as its not used to hurt someone anyway..

I also believe firmly believe that not teaching children the proper names for body parts breeds being ashamed of said parts of their bodies. I won't go into details, because I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

I firmly agree with your last statement... I have always known the proper names for body parts - I don't think there was ever a time that I didn't use the proper name for a body part. I see nothing wrong with a child knowing that boys have penis' and girls have vaginas..
  • swalters1973
    Options
    I have got to admit since having the kids I swear nowhere near as much as I used to.

My daughter came out with the odd swear words when she was little. We told her they were naughty words, to which she replied "but you say them" We told her if she hears us saying them she can tell us off. Which she thought was great.