MFP Runner's Club

Replies

• jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Happy Day!
    I got in 5.5 miles today. Tomorrow is my speedwork -- and I must say I'm scared! :noway: Send me some fast running vibes...and I'll tell my mama to keep the phone lines open! (in case I need to call :huh: )

Enjoy your day!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Went on a 3 mile run monday, and holy crap I thought I was dying. That week off from running had a bigger impact than I ever thought it would. My heart rate was in the 180's the entire time, where it used to be in the 160-170's. I made it about 1/2 mile short of where my runs had been ending before the week off. Going to see how tonight goes.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Ran to my husbands softball game last night on the bike trail - I jogged the whole way - it's the first time I've been able to do it - I was so happy! I think today will be elliptical for 30 minutes - to break a bit from running - strength tomorrow, run friday...
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Ran five yesterday and 2.25 today - lots of hill work ,so it was a good workout.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Hi Kechie,
    Things are pretty crazy so I haven't posted much lately. My grandbaby (Kya) is great! Grandbaby number two (also a girl) is due in about three weeks, so that's pretty exciting. I've done two half-marathons so far this summer and (heaven help me) I'm training for the Portland Marathon in October! So far my longest run is 14 miles (last weekend) so I'll know pretty soon if I'm going to be able to do the longer runs as we get into the higher mileage long training runs. I'm kind of scared, but just decided what the heck. If worse comes to worse I can run a half marathon and walk the rest if I have to. How's everything going for you?:flowerforyou:
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Hey Everybody!
    I havent posted in a few days, I had surgery on Tuesday. I will be out from running for 4-6 weeks. : ( So, I plan on watching what I eat better and hoping everything comes back to me when my down time is up. Happy running everyone!!!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Hi Kechie,
    Things are pretty crazy so I haven't posted much lately. My grandbaby (Kya) is great! Grandbaby number two (also a girl) is due in about three weeks, so that's pretty exciting. I've done two half-marathons so far this summer and (heaven help me) I'm training for the Portland Marathon in October! So far my longest run is 14 miles (last weekend) so I'll know pretty soon if I'm going to be able to do the longer runs as we get into the higher mileage long training runs. I'm kind of scared, but just decided what the heck. If worse comes to worse I can run a half marathon and walk the rest if I have to. How's everything going for you?:flowerforyou:

Congratulations on your second grandbaby! You inspire me. I hope I'll still be logging lots of miles when I have grandchildren.:smooched:

I started training for what has become my annual half marathon this week. The half has become my new favorite distance. I can hardly wait for November to get here.

Take care:flowerforyou:
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Hey Everybody!
    I havent posted in a few days, I had surgery on Tuesday. I will be out from running for 4-6 weeks. : ( So, I plan on watching what I eat better and hoping everything comes back to me when my down time is up. Happy running everyone!!!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery:flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    Good morning runners,
    I went to the track this morning and did 5 comfortable miles, it was nice. I was going to do sprints but had those pesky leg cramps that feel like knives in your calves hit me at 4 a.m. I am getting potassium but probably not drinking enough water. Those things are awful.
    hope everyone has a great day!

Hi there:flowerforyou:

When I read this, I wondered if I had something similar the other night. I know it was not from lack of hydration. I love my water. To get comfortable, I layed on my back and put a pillow under my calves.

-Kechie.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Did couch to 5k week 3 day 2 yesterday and for some reason found it harder than week 3 day 1:ohwell: . I wasn't feeling great yesterday, but I ran anyhow, so maybe that's why. I finished it though! :bigsmile: Today is a rest day, and I'll finish up week 3 tomorrow!! Have a great day, everyone :flowerforyou:
  • jabdye
    Tah-dah! I DID IT! My speedwork today was VERY hard but I managed to do it. YIPPEEE -- can you tell I'm excited and extremely happy that it's done!

It was 7 miles with 3x1600m at 8:00min pace with 800m jogs -- whew! Never knew I could run so fast :)

hope you have a happy Thursday -- I'm off to the running store for new shoes. I have had SO many problems with my current shoes and now after having them 3 months and feeling better about them I get another blister today! Ouch! I'm tired of hurting feet -- going to try a different brand -- any favorites out there????
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Hey Everybody!

OMG Christine, you look fabulous in your avatar pic!!!

Glad surgery went well...sorry that you'll be out from running. Are you allowed to do any kind of physical activity?
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Jab, I've been wondering lately if I should get new shoes, too. Wow, they are wearing out faster than I had expected. Right now I have a pair of new balance which is my first pair of running shoes. My next trip I plan to get fitted for them. I plan on looking at some Asics or Brooks (names I've heard) but I have no idea what would be good so I'm looking forward to an answer to your question lol. And congrats on your speedwork!

msarro, I did the same thing. I took 5 days off between my runs during my vacation and that first day out I struggled hard!! I'm still trying to catch up and get back to where I was before that little bit of time off. I did learn something from you though - that I am waaaayyyyy too much of a wuss while running! My heart rate stays between 135-150 most of the time I'm running. If I go to the 160s, I'm usually trying to slow it down. Maybe I'm being too easy on myself LOL

thalli, grats on your grandbaby - you are amazing!! Good luck on your marathon!!!

kelynn, congrats on completing week 3 day 2! Couch 25k is a great program!!

kechie, I'm the same way. I struggle to get to sleep all the time and I usually could only sleep about 4-5 hours a night until I started running. Running has helped me a lot with sleeping better. I love those coma sleeps!!!

Ran 3 miles last night. I'm still catching up from vacation so I struggled...I'm still not sure what's happening with my body. Surely after 5 runs since my 5 day hiatus my body would get back into the swing of things. Where I used to be able to do 5k non-stop, now I find myself stopping periodically during my normal 3 mile run.

I keep thinking it's all in my mind but how do I get myself out of this slump? And, I burn my normal cals, so it's not like I'm slacking (any more than normal lol). I'm not sure what's going on or what to do about it except to keep running.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Ran 3.5 miles last night on a fairly hilly course. I was so excited to have a sub 11:00 pace...seeing improvements is so motivating.
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Hey Everybody!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • jodi0117
    Tah-dah! I DID IT! My speedwork today was VERY hard but I managed to do it. YIPPEEE -- can you tell I'm excited and extremely happy that it's done!

It was 7 miles with 3x1600m at 8:00min pace with 800m jogs -- whew! Never knew I could run so fast :)

hope you have a happy Thursday -- I'm off to the running store for new shoes. I have had SO many problems with my current shoes and now after having them 3 months and feeling better about them I get another blister today! Ouch! I'm tired of hurting feet -- going to try a different brand -- any favorites out there????

Great job on that speedwork! Whew!
    My favorite shoes are Asics-just got a new pair of 2140's. I have also had good luck with New Balance which are my husbands preference.
  • jabdye

My favorite shoes are Asics-just got a new pair of 2140's. I have also had good luck with New Balance which are my husbands preference.

thanks -- I have tried Mizunos, Saucony, and Etonic (those are my 3 most recent pairs.) Hoping to get the blister-free brand this time :bigsmile:
  • jodi0117
    Got in a good 8 miles today. I left early and took a weak gatorade mixer in my water bottle and things went really well. Much better than my previous 9 mile attempt 2 weeks ago! I normally do my long runs on Saturdays, but my daughter has a b-ball tourney all day on Sat. and I hate to miss her games!
    It is always good for me to change my schedule up every so often anyway so I don't get bored. So, speedwork on Sat. very early for me!

Hope everyone has a great day!
    Jodi
  • jodi0117

thanks -- I have tried Mizunos, Saucony, and Etonic (those are my 3 most recent pairs.) Hoping to get the blister-free brand this time :bigsmile:

You might check your socks, too. They may be part of the blister issue?
  • jabdye

You might check your socks, too. They may be part of the blister issue?

all of my socks are the high dollar running socks....please don't tell me I've wasted $8+ a pair YIKES!!! I have tried to never skimp on socks or shoes -- just think I got a lemon as far as my current shoes are concerned!:huh:
This discussion has been closed.