what is the ideal age to get engaged/married?

Options

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    NEVER!

Lol, sorry.. I'm young and I've been divorced twice... :ohwell: :bigsmile:
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Marriage is fine institution that takes a lot of commitment. So get married when you are ready to be committed to an institution.

:laugh: That's awseome.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I got engaged at 19 - 7 years later, still engaged. xD We're working on getting our lives together and our household and finances stable before getting legally married.

(Also I lost my ID and have been struggling to get a copy of my birth certificate so marriage is out of the question right now anyway.)
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    In your opinion, what is an acceptable age to get engaged/married. Not saying I'm thinking about it any time soon!! Just curious to what people's thoughts are! :)

• nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you want kids, the between 25 and 30 is good. Otherwise, whenever you are ready but not before 25. A person's personality doesn't settle down till then.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Whenever you are ready.... (that when you are over 18 :laugh:)

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    Anytime you are ready...
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Hello, I got married young but I wouldnt trade it for anything.. it honestly depends on the person & when they find the one.. I got engaged at 18 and got married at 20.

but you are still 20. so yeah. um. i'd hope you'd still be happy.
  • ckerrcanchaser
    Options
    Oddly enough, I think that statistically if a couple gets married when they are both quite young (18-21), they have a lower divorce rate than other demographics.

That being said, there is no ideal age. It is when you are ready.

I'll be getting married when I''m 21 to my fiance who just turned 23. We're young but we don't care :)
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Not big on marriage, don't think it is necessary for kids or other life choices. Marriage does not equal love and with the way folks get divorced I think many folks have the wrong idea of what marriage is anyway.
  • gordonfitch
    gordonfitch Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I think that statistically if a couple gets married when they are both quite young (18-21), they have a lower divorce rate than other demographics.

I don't believe it, I would like to read the study.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i'll think about it when im 320
  • oddyogi
    Options
    When they land a sweet job and you don't have to sign any prenups..
  • Tanyawhite30
    Options
    i'll think about it when im 320

Good choice
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I don't think most people really get comfortable in their own skin until their mid 30's ... it's really important to know who you are before committing to a lifetime with somebody else. You can get engaged and or spend time with somebody for many years without getting married. It just seems people take the " vow " so lightly these days causing the divorce rate to sky rocket !

Never go into a relationship thinking you can " change " somebody ... and nor should you want to ! Accepting someone for all their quirks and still loving everything about them is soooo important ! We often overlook the small details ... never realizing one day they become the BIG picture !

I don't think you can or anybody else can put a " number " on it ... but what I can offer you is just one small piece of advice ...

Never ... ever ... SETTLE ! :smile:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    i would trust my pre-25 self with a remote control much less a husband.

i got married at 29. and now i'm getting divorced at 40. so yeah, don't listen to me.

Got married in my early 20s...getting divorced at 27...so yeah, dont listen to me either.

You seeing a trend in why 'never' has a good ring to it? no pun intended..

Lines up with my experience. Married at 23. Divorced by 30. It sucks. Knowing more about brain development now than I did then, I am telling my kids that they should not get married before 25. In point of fact not all of your pre-frontal cortex is completely developed before 25 which is why so many people over 30 look back at 25 and regret dumb things they did. Even the ones that thought the were SOOOO smart and SOOOO mature (that would include me).

Think about it, if car rental agencies know you're too young not to be dumb and won't rent you a car for a week, why on earth would you count on yourself to be smart enough for something as important and permanent as wedding your life partner. And besides, if he's your life partner (the generalized you, not you OP), then he'll still be there when you're over 25 right? Right.
  • oddyogi
    Options
    Hello, I got married young but I wouldnt trade it for anything.. it honestly depends on the person & when they find the one.. I got engaged at 18 and got married at 20.

but you are still 20. so yeah. um. i'd hope you'd still be happy.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • ifucsam
    ifucsam Posts: 40
    Options

That being said, there is no ideal age. It is when you are ready.

I got married at 19 (husband was 25) and 5 years later we're still happily married! No kids for a while though, just our pups and our cat! We just bought a house last year!

I honestly had never thought about it before we started dating though. A lot of people I graduated with (I'm 22 so people 22/23/24) are getting married and engaged now.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Its not the age, its the person. Be very very very very very very very very choosy, because things that are small now, will magnify and become huge pains in the rear end.

And yeah, 15 years of living together as of today, and perhaps on track to not even last another 15 days..... so listen to me at your own peril, I'm starting to think the "Never" people got it closest to right.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would say get engaged after 30 then get married then have kids.

I do not see why people would want to get married in their 20's. That is the time for dating, exploring the world, going to college, having fun with friends. And generally being a young adult without older adult responsibilities.

We have told our daughter since the day she was born....you will not get married or have kids until after 30. People love to tell me you can't control your child's life once they are grown. True. But I can cement in her mind on a daily basis what a enjoyable, successful, life takes. Do not get married and especially do not have kids before 30.

I see people get married at 22 and feel sad for them Yuck! But to each their own. By the way. I am 42 and love being married and having our sweet 9 year old daughter! I didn't get married until after 30 and am so thankful for my decision.