MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    i got in 6.5 miles this morning. Tomorrow is my tempo run -- and I must say I'm scared!!!:sad: hopefully tomorrow I will be posting how I did it and it wasn't that bad...:huh: ...fingers are crossed! Please send me some fast running vibes!!!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Not running today tommorrow I start hills so today I just did burn intervals with ChaLean.

I love all the discussion on GU, drinks etc. Just a friendly reminder if you are trying something new please make sure you have access to a bathroom.:blushing: My half training partner a few years ago had a horrible reaction to a new gel and the reason I don't use gatorade has nothing to do with taste:embarassed:

Another possiblity for those of you anti gel - my training coach swears by fig newtons - he has a ziploc with fig newtons cut up into little bites. My guess is you could use any high glycemic snack in just such a way.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Goooooood morning, everyone! :smile: I'm hoping some of you have experience you can rely on to help me!

As I posted on Monday, I started Couch to 5k week 4 this week. Monday was busy for me and I ended up having to run when it was hot out (which I usually try to avoid). By the end of my run I was feeling sick to my stomach... although I made myself finish. I ran at about 3:45/4:00 and had eaten lunch around 1:00. We desperately need to go grocery shopping, so my lunch was: a granny smith apple, 3 wasa crisps with laughing cow cheese, a 60 calorie yogurt, and a peach.:ohwell: I had drank about 20 ounces of water throughout the day, another 14 before running, and then probably about another 14 while running.

I need desperately to not feel so sick and gross like this when I run today:sick: . I'm planning on having a piece of wheat bread with about a tablespoon of peanut butter on it before running to see if that helps.

My question is: If I'm planning to run at 6:30, what time would be best to eat the bread and peanut butter? My body has always been picky about when I eat, and isn't afraid to let me know when I need fuel. I just don't want to eat too early, or too soon to when I start my run and have the same problem today :angry:

Thank you SO much for your help :flowerforyou:
  • Renee973
    Renee973 Posts: 28
    Options
    Good Morning! I was going to get up early and run this morning, but it was storming here. :grumble: The forecast looks like it is supposed to storm all day long. This may be a really silly question, but can I get an equivalent workout on an eliptical? I have no access to a treadmill and don't really want to run in a storm, but I also do not want to miss a day of training as I am feeling more motivated than I ever have.I am doing intervals so I thought I could go at a decent pace, then on the minutes I am supposed to run just go as hard as I can on the eliptical. Please let me know if you have any input or advice! Thanks guys! Have a great day!:flowerforyou:
  • jabdye
    Options
    Goooooood morning, everyone! :smile: I'm hoping some of you have experience you can rely on to help me!

As I posted on Monday, I started Couch to 5k week 4 this week. Monday was busy for me and I ended up having to run when it was hot out (which I usually try to avoid). By the end of my run I was feeling sick to my stomach... although I made myself finish. I ran at about 3:45/4:00 and had eaten lunch around 1:00. We desperately need to go grocery shopping, so my lunch was: a granny smith apple, 3 wasa crisps with laughing cow cheese, a 60 calorie yogurt, and a peach.:ohwell: I had drank about 20 ounces of water throughout the day, another 14 before running, and then probably about another 14 while running.

I need desperately to not feel so sick and gross like this when I run today:sick: . I'm planning on having a piece of wheat bread with about a tablespoon of peanut butter on it before running to see if that helps.

My question is: If I'm planning to run at 6:30, what time would be best to eat the bread and peanut butter? My body has always been picky about when I eat, and isn't afraid to let me know when I need fuel. I just don't want to eat too early, or too soon to when I start my run and have the same problem today :angry:

Could the queasy stomach been from pushing too hard in the heat? Because eating at 1pm and running at 3:45 seems like enough time. I made the mistake of running this weekend 1.5 hours after eating -- and didn't get queasy but got terrible cramps. I have gotten queasy when I am too hot though. Just a thought.
  • jabdye
    Options
    Good Morning! I was going to get up early and run this morning, but it was storming here. :grumble: The forecast looks like it is supposed to storm all day long. This may be a really silly question, but can I get an equivalent workout on an eliptical? I have no access to a treadmill and don't really want to run in a storm, but I also do not want to miss a day of training as I am feeling more motivated than I ever have.I am doing intervals so I thought I could go at a decent pace, then on the minutes I am supposed to run just go as hard as I can on the eliptical. Please let me know if you have any input or advice! Thanks guys! Have a great day!:flowerforyou:

Hey Renee!
    Is it thunder & lightning? If not, run in the rain -- it's awesome and refreshing....but not when you're dodging lightning bolts!!! :noway: I have never used the elliptical but have heard it is a great low impact workout that is a super calorie burner. Try it and let us know :)
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good morning Runners!

Did 5k last night and had a really great run! It's been at least a week/week and a half since I've had such a good run so I hope that I'm out of the slump that I was in. I felt fabulous after my run!! Today I'm going to do some strength training. I've been lacking in doing formal strength training lately so I'm trying to get back into the swing of it. I do upper body sets with a dumbell after my runs but I think I need more.

I usually eat 30-45 minutes before my run - usually something small like a banana or hummus and crackers ...something with carbs. I don't get cramps as long as I keep it light. If I eat a larger meal, then I'll wait at least an hour before I head out. If I get up early and go running, I usually eat after my run.

Renee - running in the rain is wonderful!!! I usually get a great workout on the elliptical and it's a lot lower impact than running. I plan on buying one soon so that I have access to one at all times. If you are unsure about the elliptical, what about running in place? (I know, it sucks but I've had to do that before)

Take care all and Happy Running!
  • iRun4wine
    Options

Could the queasy stomach been from pushing too hard in the heat? Because eating at 1pm and running at 3:45 seems like enough time. I made the mistake of running this weekend 1.5 hours after eating -- and didn't get queasy but got terrible cramps. I have gotten queasy when I am too hot though. Just a thought.

Yea, it could have been. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly what caused it... all I know is I DO NOT want it to happen again:noway: :sick: - it was pretty scary :ohwell:
  • annaliza
    Options
    Oh yea! I forgot to mention.

I did fartleks last night during my run and I managed to shave 5 minutes off my 5k time!!!!!! Maybe it was my attitude/state of mind or a combination of the two. Either way I was happy and have renewed motivation!!!
  • Renee973
    Renee973 Posts: 28
    Options
    Ahh, good thinking, Annaliza! I never thought about that. There is jogging on the wii fit--maybe I will resort to that if I'm not satisfied with the eliptical. Thanks for the advice!:smile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    4 for me today and body pump. I'm catching up bgood! :wink:

yeah...you keep thinking that :laugh:

No run for me today........oh and bgood we are neck and neck...........:noway:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options

I'm thinking the heat was a factor. The only time I get really sick to my stomach is when I push myself waaay to hard on a tempo run. When I first started doing tempo runs, I nicknamed them vomit runs. I never actually threw up but I felt very close.

If the weather is hotter than you are used to, definitely slow your pace to make up for the heat factor. The heat adds a kind of resistance when you're running. If you find yourself forced to run in the heat, try to run a shady route, pour water on yourself(this will help you cool off), and go slower and shorter than you normally would. :flowerforyou:

Also, look for signs of heat illness: feeling cold, getting chills, not sweating. If you notice any of these signs, stop running.
  • iRun4wine
    Options

I'm thinking the heat was a factor. The only time I get really sick to my stomach is when I push myself waaay to hard on a tempo run. When I first started doing tempo runs, I nicknamed them vomit runs. I never actually threw up but I felt very close.

If the weather is hotter than you are used to, definitely slow your pace to make up for the heat factor. The heat adds a kind of resistance when you're running. If you find yourself forced to run in the heat, try to run a shady route, pour water on yourself(this will help you cool off), and go slower and shorter than you normally would. :flowerforyou:

Also, look for signs of heat illness: feeling cold, getting chills, not sweating. If you notice any of these signs, stop running.

Thank you!! :smile:
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Love the cheering section - now you can understand why I am trying to train my bird to cheer for me when I run on the treadmill!

Glad to hear there is someone who doesn't do anything. I purposely drink A LOT on the day of my long run -- and in general drink 2 liters or more of water every day. I just had an instance where I got dehydrated and started seeing sparklies --- and it scared me. That's when I started keeping a piece of hard candy in my mouth -- which helps! I ordered some of the powerbar blast chewy things for cases where I start to feel yucky. I'm getting ready to up my long run to 15 miles so I'll just stop after 10 and have a quick drink.

LOL! I almost forgot about your cheering bird. You crack me up! :laugh: Good idea on the PowerBar chewy things. And don't feel bad about stopping for water! I felt the same way, but let me tell you...gulping down some water really can make a difference - especially on those 15 mile runs you're working up to. I carry my water bottle in a little belt thingy for long runs, so I don't have to stop, but there have been days that I forgot my belt or just drank all my water in my bottle, so I just stop for a quick slurp at a water fountain. It literally is 25 seconds added to your run.
  • hessied
    Options

I feel for you! I have so much trouble with eating the right thing before my runs. Honestly, it is my stomach issues more than fatigue that hampers my runs, which stinks. I have found that depending on what I eat - even 3 hours before a run, can effect my stomach. I tend to stay away from dairy at all costs before a run. It tends to make me pretty nauseous. So, I'm thinking that maybe the combo of heat and dairy may have done you in that day.

I've got this book by Chris Carmichael called "Food for Fitness." These are the foods recommended for Pre-Exercise:
    1. High Carb, moderate protein, low fat
    Pasta, Rice, potatoesm sandwiches (roast beef, turkey, peanut butter and jelly), oatmeal, breakfast burrito with eggs, fruit

Less desirable foods for Pre-exercise meals:
    1. High fat and/or protein, low carb
    Steak, bacon, sausage, ice cream, cream sauces
    2. Low carb, low calorie
    Salads, diet soda

He also says that a large meal is fine 3-4 hours before exercise
    2-3 hours beforehand, a smaller meal like a peanut butter bagel and banana is suitable.
    1 hour before, he recommends a PowerBar or something similar.

HTH! Better luck today!
  • hessied
    Options
    Oops..almost forgot..did 7 miles with my girl in the stroller again this morning. I'm wicked pooped!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Good afternoon...

Just got in 4.25 for lunch today, felt good. Today was mountain running day. It really really seems to help to train on mountain hills, then do long runs on semi flat courses. It makes them feel sooo much easier, lol.

Chug water time :drinker:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I DID IT!!! :bigsmile:

Unlike Monday, I did Couch to 5k week 4 (day 2 today) without almost losing my lunch all over the sidewalk :laugh: :bigsmile: :drinker:

Thank you everyone for your advice... I was really anxious/nervous about today's run all day, but it wasn't as bad as I was building it up to be. Still, quite a challenge (as you can tell by my 253 calories burned according to my HRM), but I'm psyched :blushing:

Thanks so much for all of your support and advice, runners!! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • annaliza
    Options
    Ahh, good thinking, Annaliza! I never thought about that. There is jogging on the wii fit--maybe I will resort to that if I'm not satisfied with the eliptical. Thanks for the advice!:smile:

Lol, that's exactly what I was thinking about. too...the jogging on Wii fit! My husband loves to do that but not me....it's only good for me in a pinch.

Good luck!!
  • annaliza
    Options
    I DID IT!!! :bigsmile:

Unlike Monday, I did Couch to 5k week 4 (day 2 today) without almost losing my lunch all over the sidewalk :laugh: :bigsmile: :drinker:

Thank you everyone for your advice... I was really anxious/nervous about today's run all day, but it wasn't as bad as I was building it up to be. Still, quite a challenge (as you can tell by my 253 calories burned according to my HRM), but I'm psyched :blushing:

Thanks so much for all of your support and advice, runners!! :flowerforyou: :heart:

Yay!!!! Good for you!!!

This is a great place for advice :smile: which is why I practically hang out here lol

Hubby calls it my addiction lol