You Can Gain Muscle On A Calorie Deficit!!

Options

Replies

• Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain any muscle. You just lowered your body fat. There is a big difference.
    fitnesssocial, look at my arms in my Aug.-20011 pic. and then my May-2011 pic. My arms were larger in August than they were in May and they were also larger in May than they were in March despite dropping body weight. Like I said over and over that at my highest weight, my calves and forearms were very skinny, I didnt have any traps or fat covering them either and I could feel nothing but bone under my skin in my upper chest and on the outside of my arms were my bi's, tri's and delts meet. So even at my highest weight I didnt have any fat covering my calves,forearms, traps, upper chest or were my Bi's. Tri's and Delts meet.
    Now - 74 lbs I have large traps,( they grew like weeds) larger calves and forearms ( they grew like molasses in winter) my Pecs are getting closer and closer to touching my colar bone and there is nothing but muscle were my Bi's, Tri's and Delts meet.
    Minus any new gains, you may have you can't defy the human body. You need to be in a calorie surplus to build muscle. If you were taking anabolics you would still need to be in a surplus.
    Well I would rather get fat again than take steriods. I cant tell in your pics but were your arms larger in the 2nd pic than they were in the first pic? Both my arms are over 1.5 inches larger than they were when I started working out.
    My arms appeared to be larger, did I gain some muscle possibly. I don't have any diet logs at the time, but more than likely my protein intake was sky high. Coupled with me being fat, I was probably able to build some muscle. Does it compare to a true bulking cycle no.

So, what you're saying IS possible, if the right conditions are met.

1. Large protein intake.
    2. You have to have a high body fat amount to create the large deficit.

First, I never claimed to get the same gains as the guys that I workout with that eat at a surplus every day. They have put on far more muscle than I have over the last year and I bust my butt just as hard as they do.
    Second. Another 6-7lbs and I will be doing a bulk myself.
    Third, I have eaten between 1-1.5 grams of protein for every lb. of body weight every day for the last year.
    I was saying that it's possible, so I agree with you...
    I know, I just wanted to make sure you or anyone else didnt think that the purpose of this thread was to claim that you could acheive the same amount of gains on a deficit as on a surplus. Only to let people know that even if they are on a deficit implementing a weight lifting program is still well worth the effort.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    Guys here is another thread ( awesome thread by the way) that shows a few others from MFP. some of them have cut fat and gained lean muscle at the same time.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518789-the-difference-weight-lifting-makes
    No, most of them just got more defined and didn't gain muscle. Here's another great example of looking like someone who gained muscle, but actually just lost fat and now looks way more muscular.
    The illusion of looking muscular many times let's people think that they put on muscle (while on a deficit) when in fact it's practically impossible.

I'm sure we'll agree to disagree.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    ninerbuff, LMAO!! So I did the impossible!! If its impossible please explain to me how the fellow MFP. member in the first set of pics got leaner but at the same time gained 5 lbs in 1 month? By the way there is no shame in being wrong!! Just sayin.

5 lbs heavier in after pic, but tighter and leaner
    236227942924235826_gkkV70hE_f.jpg

Stacy, read her story here: She is 14 lbs heavier in after
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    From her story:
    That’s because it IS an absurd amount of food. This is what Staci does, day in, day out in order togain weightso that she can lift heavier weights.

And I think you’ll agree with me that despite all of this extra work to pack on a lot of weight, the last word you would use to describe Staci’s physique these days is “bulky.”

Ooops. Yep she gained weight by eating more. That's how you usually gain weight.

160933386653933440_XDkHzL9R_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912535_fBi9urCv_f.jpg
    Guess you forgot to read the part where they upped their calories to gain weight.

Your story here is (and on most fitness forums) is nothing new. The whole "building muscle" on calorie deficit had been rehashed so many times. Exceptions were mentioned, but the amount of muscle is very little compared to actual putting it on on purpose.
    Read the laws of thermodynamics. It will make more sense if you understand how you can't make something out of nothing. And you're right there is no shame is being wrong.................you just have to admit it to yourself.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor [/quote
    Hey I have no problem admitting when Im wrong, I was wrong about numerous things since I started.
    But just because they increased their calorie intake they still got leaner!! So they were still on a deficit and gained muscle at the same time. Or are you saying you can lose fat while on a surplus?
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Hey I have no problem admitting when Im wrong, I was wrong about numerous things since I started.
    But just because they increased their calorie intake they still got leaner!! So they were still on a deficit and gained muscle at the same time. Or are you saying you can lose fat while on a surplus?

No, those who built muscle weren't eating in a deficit. You obviously missed the quote from the story about the amazing Stacy.
    That’s because it IS an absurd amount of food. This is what Staci does, day in, day out in order togain weightso that she can lift heavier weights.

And I think you’ll agree with me that despite all of this extra work to pack on a lot of weight, the last word you would use to describe Staci’s physique these days is “bulky.”

Did you actually read the link to her story?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    If you read the stories, they dieted down too low and lost muscle. To get that muscle back, they increased their calories (which is a surplus) and learned to lift correctly which resulted in weight gain. Now genetics will dictate how your metabolism will do on whether or not you gain a lot of fat or not with the muscle. Some gain pound for pound, some only a little. It's different person to person. But you can't be on surplus and deficit AT THE SAME TIME. They would cancel each other out.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

No, those who built muscle weren't eating in a deficit. You obviously missed the quote from the story about the amazing Stacy.

Did you actually read the link to her story?
    Stacy gained 5lbs in one month and also got LEANER ( lost fat) like myself she ate at a surplus but her rigorous workout program caused her to be at a deficit. You have to be at a deficit to get leaner. For example Micheal Phelps has to eat over 5,000 calories a day just to maintain because of his rigorous training program.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    If you read the stories, they dieted down too low and lost muscle. To get that muscle back, they increased their calories (which is a surplus) and learned to lift correctly which resulted in weight gain. Now genetics will dictate how your metabolism will do on whether or not you gain a lot of fat or not with the muscle. Some gain pound for pound, some only a little. It's different person to person. But you can't be on surplus and deficit AT THE SAME TIME. They would cancel each other out.

IDEA Fitness member
    Regardless of her metabolism Stacy gained 5lbs of muscle and got LEANER (lost fat) So regardless of if it was because of her metabolism or her rigorous workout program she was eating at a deficit and still gained muscle.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Regardless of her metabolism Stacy gained 5lbs of muscle and got LEANER (lost fat) So regardless of if it was because of her metabolism or her rigorous workout program she was eating at a deficit and still gained muscle.

She was definitely not eating at a defecit. This is straight out of the page:

"On top of super heavy strength training, Staci had to eat between 3000-4000 calories per day (all healthy calories, mind you) to put on the extra weight. Had she not overloaded her system with calories, she wouldn’t have gained an ounce."
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

"On top of super heavy strength training, Staci had to eat between 3000-4000 calories per day (all healthy calories, mind you) to put on the extra weight. Had she not overloaded her system with calories, she wouldn’t have gained an ounce."

I think it's pretty clear that the OP doesn't really understand what calorie deficit or surplus means.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Dont think I could ever get tired of this thread......I think Im going to cut my calories to about 1k and try to put on some real mass.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

I think it's pretty clear that the OP doesn't really understand what calorie deficit or surplus means.
    You again!! Looking at your pics I can completely understand why you cant believe that you can add muscle while on a deficit. You cant gain 5 lbs in one month and also get leaner at the same unless your on a deficit.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

Then please explain to me ( im being serious) how she gained 5 lbs in one month but also got leaner ( lost fat) at the same time if she wasnt on a deficit? Also Im not the only one that posted on this thread that has gained muscle on a deficit can you explain that?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

You again!! Looking at your pics I can completely understand why you cant believe that you can add muscle while on a deficit. You cant gain 5 lbs in one month and also get leaner at the same unless your on a deficit.
    Do you KNOW how much he can squat? I'd rethink that post if I were you...
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I wanted to start this thread because of the "" Muscle Does Not Weigh More Than Fat" thread. Reading thru it I read numerous posts that claimed that you cannot gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. Yes you can!! Please do not let these misguided comments stop you from implementing some type of lifting program while you are on your journey for a new body!! Weight training while dieting is very important because if you dont about 22% of your total weight loss will be Lean Muscle! Most people who do not lift while dieting are not happy with their body even after they reached or even surpassed their goals.

You also aren't going to gain 2 pounds of muscle in a month on a calorie deficit. You will keep more of your muscle mass but you aren't going to create much new muscle unless you are quite large BF% wise.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

Then please explain to me ( im being serious) how she gained 5 lbs in one month but also got leaner ( lost fat) at the same time if she wasnt on a deficit?

Called lean gains man.... or the smart azz bb.com answer........... Dat Der CellTech Bro.
  • JustJessicaRabbit
    JustJessicaRabbit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is what gives me hope to avoid the sagging skin (I'm a reformed yoyo dieter) I'm losing weight watching overall calories, keeping carbs low and protein and fat a bit high based on this tool's standards. I'm about 20 pounds from my ideal weight, and I do 2.5 hours of hard cardio per week and work out on my total gym on alternating days. I've maintained a reasonably healthy weight and a more paleo diet for about 3 years now. This is different from my past experiences with diet and weight gain. I think this is the best way to prevent muscle loss and hopefully avoid the weight loss skin sags. I've gained and lost 45-50 pounds every 5-8 years of my life since I was 12, I'm now 44.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I answered all the way back on page 1 how one can gain muscle on a deficit:
    You can gain strength in a calorie deficit. Gaining muscle is pretty rare, and is limited to beginners to weight lifting, and those coming back after a long break (muscle memory). For the rest of us, we strength train during deficit to maintain lean mass and maintain or increase strength.

This particular quote just nails the fact that you don't understand what you're talking about: You cant gain 5 lbs in one month and also get leaner at the same unless your on a deficit..

You keep using these words. But they don't mean what you think they mean.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    I wanted to start this thread because of the "" Muscle Does Not Weigh More Than Fat" thread. Reading thru it I read numerous posts that claimed that you cannot gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. Yes you can!! Please do not let these misguided comments stop you from implementing some type of lifting program while you are on your journey for a new body!! Weight training while dieting is very important because if you dont about 22% of your total weight loss will be Lean Muscle! Most people who do not lift while dieting are not happy with their body even after they reached or even surpassed their goals.

You also aren't going to gain 2 pounds of muscle in a month on a calorie deficit. You will keep more of your muscle mass but you aren't going to create much new muscle unless you are quite large BF% wise.
    No one claimed that the avg. person could gain 2lbs of muscle in one month. Heck most guys that eat at a surplus for a year are thrilled to gain 15lbs for the year. Lifting while on a deficit and only gaining a small amount of lean muscle is far better than not lifting at all and having 22% of your total weight loss being from lean muscle. ( the enitre point of this thread)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    He's right. I cut my calories down to 1000 for today but I went to the gym and lifted hard and I put on 6lbs of muscle.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Op:

75652_the_great_and_powerful_trixie_trixie_are_you_a_wizard_meme_display.jpg
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Does the OP own a dictionary?