Dangers of Vegetarian & Vegan Diets Long-Term

Options

Replies

• DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I don't get why us having a consciousness takes away our right to eat meat. I simply don't. I make the conscious decision TO eat it, because it's good for you and tastes good. And at no point in our future will every human on Earth conform to Veganism. If you convinced 0.1% of the world's population to do so, I would be amazed.

So why can't we say the same about human meat? It's probably good for you and presumably tastes good, so what would be the issue? Again, why does man have the corner market on right to life?

And I never once said that I expect the whole world to adopt a vegan diet - it was a response to the very logical argument of "if we all go vegan, all the cows will starve! :(" argument. Just because vegetarians and vegans make up a small part of the population now doesn't mean anything for the future. That's how social change happens - slowly.

Man does not have the corner market on the right to life,other predetors in nature would take us out in a second,and they have.
    Someone walking around the plains of africa does not get a pass on getting eaten by a lion they can and have been eaten.
    Im sure human meat is very tastey im also sure there is a dirty joke in there somewhere.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of cultures around the world who DO eat human meat. Just in case you didn't actually know that.

There are cultures that eat the afterbirth... they fry it up and the men in the family eat it.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of cultures around the world who DO eat human meat. Just in case you didn't actually know that.

I did. But speaking from a Western point-of-view, where it's encouraged to kill some animals and buy Christmas gifts for others.
  • xxxemaxxx
    xxxemaxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian all my life and i've never had health issues or worries. I have managed perfectly fine like it.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    Man does not have the corner market on the right to life,other predetors in nature would take us out in a second,and they have.
    Someone walking around the plains of africa does not get a pass on getting eaten by a lion they can and have been eaten.
    Im sure human meat is very tastey im also sure there is a dirty joke in there somewhere.

But according to man, he does. Why can a man kill a cow, but a man cannot kill another man? If it really is "survival of the fittest", then why can humans (according to Western social practices, anyway), not kill another man to nourish himself?
  • DieVixen
    Options
    ...maybe we could all agree that what works for some people doesn't necessarily work for others...? No...?

I can agree to that. What I cant agree to is that ALL humans have a moral obligation to not eat meat. If one person decides they want that to be THIER OWN moral obligation,im ok with that.I really dont care what other people eat. But I really dont get the concept of spareing one living thing by eating another
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    soo....currently I'm pescatarian, but this thread makes me want to go vegan (already working on it) just to piss you people off! Live and let live!

and if you decide not to cherry pick your information check out the China Study or rent Forks Over Knives
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I like how we struggle to find good looking vegetarians and vegans, yet walk outside and you'll easily spot a couple hot, awesome bodies that love meat.

We can also walk outside and find a lot of overweight, unhealthy bodies that love meat. It goes both ways.

OH, SO THAT! And plus, I can find a good looking Vegan when I walk outside. All I have to do is look in the mirror of a car :flowerforyou:

yes, there are many overweight bodies in the world. when it comes to athletes and those in top physical condition, the list of vegetarians and vegans becomes incredibly thin.

reason? it is incredibly difficult and takes an insane amount of dedication to ensure that you are receiving the proper nutrition to feed and grow muscle mass.
  • DieVixen
    Options

But according to man, he does. Why can a man kill a cow, but a man cannot kill another man? If it really is "survival of the fittest", then why can humans (according to Western social practices, anyway), not kill another man to nourish himself?

So because we are not supposed to kill eachother its not ok to kill a cow? and to be 100% honest if it came down to the survival of my family Ted next door would be on the BBQ
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    soo....currently I'm pescatarian, but this thread makes me want to go vegan (already working on it) just to piss you people off! Live and let live!

and if you decide not to cherry pick your information check out the China Study or rent Forks Over Knives

:drinker:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't get why us having a consciousness takes away our right to eat meat. I simply don't. I make the conscious decision TO eat it, because it's good for you and tastes good. And at no point in our future will every human on Earth conform to Veganism. If you convinced 0.1% of the world's population to do so, I would be amazed.

So why can't we say the same about human meat? It's probably good for you and presumably tastes good, so what would be the issue? Again, why does man have the corner market on right to life?

And I never once said that I expect the whole world to adopt a vegan diet - it was a response to the very logical argument of "if we all go vegan, all the cows will starve! :(" argument. Just because vegetarians and vegans make up a small part of the population now doesn't mean anything for the future. That's how social change happens - slowly.

I'm sure it tastes great, but there's the minor issue of being locked up or executed. I don't get that with my big fat, half kilo steak.
  • LolaVersion2
    LolaVersion2 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    WHOOOOOOOOOOO CARES????? And WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY DO YOU CARE??

Are you trying to help vegans/vegs??? Was that your point??

Go away.
  • ahoesing
    ahoesing Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Tony Horton

Creator of p90x. Well respected trainer. Vegan.
    http://www.teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/55884401
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I like how we struggle to find good looking vegetarians and vegans, yet walk outside and you'll easily spot a couple hot, awesome bodies that love meat.

We can also walk outside and find a lot of overweight, unhealthy bodies that love meat. It goes both ways.

OH, SO THAT! And plus, I can find a good looking Vegan when I walk outside. All I have to do is look in the mirror of a car :flowerforyou:

yes, there are many overweight bodies in the world. when it comes to athletes and those in top physical condition, the list of vegetarians and vegans becomes incredibly thin.

reason? it is incredibly difficult and takes an insane amount of dedication to ensure that you are receiving the proper nutrition to feed and grow muscle mass.

Oh please! I'm pretty sure the "proper nutrition" thing is such a myth. Any person could be vegan and be an athlete.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I saw Forks Over Knives and I also saw Fat Head. I think both are biased, but I think both get a point across. Neither movie made me change the way I was eating, ie. not only eating plant based foods or fast food every day. It was good to see both, though, because it gives you a perspective from two opposing sides. So if you watch one, watch the the other and make up your mind on what you think is right. Or hell, try both diets and see which one makes you feel better.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    So because we are not supposed to kill eachother its not ok to kill a cow? and to be 100% honest if it came down to the survival of my family Ted next door would be on the BBQ

I guess what I'm asking is, why should it be different to take the life of a cow than that of a human? What makes a human's life more valuable than a cow, pig, dog or cat? Is a life not a life?
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

The population also contains far fewer vegetarians/vegans than omnivores, so really it would make sense that the ratio of omnivores to herbivores in sports would reflect that.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    :noway: bump...love a good controversy...want to read later when I have more time.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm a life long vegetarian. And so is my mother. And her mother. I don't know beyond that, but that's 3 generations of vegetarian women in my family, all in perfect health and live to be into 70s or 80s. My grandmas brother is almost 90 and vegetarian. Still living and doing better that many 50 yr olds I know!!
    I'm ovo-lacto but my mom and grandma are pure veggies.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My friends wife was a vegetarian and they were expecting their first child. Her OB told her she needed to incorporate meat into her diet in order to get proper nutrition to allow the baby to grow. She did.

I raised two vegetarians from conception. My firstborn is in his first year of law school at age 19. My 16 year-old is a college junior. They are both in prime health, have attained their full expected height, and they both have black belts, and can kick some serious butt.