Public Transportation & Giving up your seat

Options

Replies

• JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Poor thing...she shouldn't have to ask....she should have many guys offering their seat up anyway. Geez....I even offer my seat up to the elderly, kids and pregnant women.
    im the same way. i dont take public transportation...but i do this in like waiting rooms and such.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I remember being pretty pregnant and everyone averted their eyes and no one offered their seat up.

I always make sure to offer a seat to ANYone who looks like they might need it - young, old, disabled, pregnant, injured. I hold open doors for people, I make sure to say please and thank you. I smile at people.

Sometimes it sucks because I don't get common courtesy in return, but I believe in karma. :)

Edited to say that it should go across gender - doesn't matter if you are male or female.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    MEN should always give there seat up for women, children, and handicap PERiOD. bus, plane, train where ever. no need to concider.

"Plane"

If there are not enough seats on a plane I think there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with the airline.

What people do to be nice and what they're expected to do is completely different. It's nice that someone gave up a first class seat to someone in the military, but I wouldn't expect anyone to do that.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Men should give up their seats for women. Young people should give up their seats for the elderly. The able should give up their seats for the disabled. It saddens me that this is even a question.
    ^^ This is thee correct answer.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    why does she need your seat, is her vagina too heavy to stand with?

BAHAHAHA This cracked me up!

But it's a good point - it's different is someone isn't able to stand for extenuating reasons. But just because I have lady bits doesn't mean I have a right to a seat. Sure, it's neat when some guy stands up for me, but I CERTAINLY don't expect it.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Men should give up their seats for women.

Sexist much?
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't use public transport that much but in London the amount of people who don't give up there seats makes me sick, I have even had a stand up argument because of it, I have in the past got my kids to stand up for an old lady and the youngest is only 5. I think it is just bad manners and some people need to be taught values, which in today’s society does not happen any more as it's all about me.
  • Norinella
    Norinella Posts: 31
    Options
    It would be creepier and more hilarious if he asked if she wanted to sit in his lap.
    [/quo:laugh: :laugh: te] Ok, I agree with everyone who said the guy should stand up, but I also loved this comment!
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I take a train every day. Now that I've lost weight I am getting offered a seat less and less. Sadly I probably looked pregnant!!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Men should give up their seats for women. Young people should give up their seats for the elderly. The able should give up their seats for the disabled. It saddens me that this is even a question.

Why should men have to give up their seat for women? As long as they are not pregnant,disabled ect are women just not as capable to stand as a man?

They are.

I still give my seat up though. I'm just wired that way.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :explode: It seriously shows how selfish people can be; wanting to tell an elderly lady off because she needs to sit down!! I totally agree that she shouldn't have to ask but these young people should graciously volunteer!!:explode:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    MEN should always give there seat up for women, children, and handicap PERiOD. bus, plane, train where ever. no need to concider.

"Plane"

If there are not enough seats on a plane I think there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with the airline.

What people do to be nice and what they're expected to do is completely different. It's nice that someone gave up a first class seat to someone in the military, but I wouldn't expect anyone to do that.
    Perhaps he was thinking bathroom seat
  • theMightyAnt
    Options
    I always make sure to offer a seat to ANYone who looks like they might need it - young, old, disabled, pregnant, injured. I hold open doors for people, I make sure to say please and thank you. I smile at people.

Sometimes it sucks because I don't get common courtesy in return, but I believe in karma. :)

Absolutely my sentiment.
    I must admit that as I get older I am less inclined to get up for a young woman than I once was, though the majority of times I still do, despite the selective equality I'm old fashioned. Though if I know I'm coming to a major station I often won't bother even sitting down!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It dismays me, all this sexist talk and examples of women giving men a hard time for opening doors or giving up seats (although, the "jockeying" in an elevator to let me off first is silly but still sweet). Women, when a man does this for you, he is treating you with RESPECT. Be flattered. Be honored. Be grateful. You are not somehow inferior because he held your door nor does he think you are. Quite the opposite, really. He's thinking very highly of you. I think it's adorable.

To the men...feel free to hold my door. I will smile and probably wink at you and will most definitely say thank you. It's not necessary to give up your seat for me, but on my commuter train, it's happened more than once. And the feeling is amazing. I think I've only accepted once because he was already standing and insisting.

Back to the OP, YES, all able bodied should give up their seat for someone who needs it, pregnant, elderly, etc.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    where is it written to give your seat? smh... you don't have to, if you decide to do well then you can feel better about yourself but no one has to unless it is written on a specific area on the bus.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I will gladly give up my seat for the elderly, disabled, people with children, pregnant women, or people carrying a lot *kitten*/bags/suitcases. I understand men are trying to be polite when they give up their seat for me, and I say 'thank you' and have a seat, but it seems a little ridiculous, especially when it's someone around my age, to give up their seat for me.

Now, a question - would you give up your seat in the front or back (the seats that are sideways and larger, and usually meant for elderly/disabled) for someone who is extremely obese? I'm talking someone who 400+ lbs. Is it discrimination if you deliberately don't (for whatever reason), or is it sort of offensive to assume they need a seat? Or... what? Some other reason you would or wouldn't?

I guess I should answer my own question, even though my answer is really 'I don't know'. I go back and forth on this one. I'm not a disrespectful person. At least, I don't think I am. But sometimes I feel like people who are very obese are staring at me when they get on the bus like I should be giving up my seat for them. And then I think they could sure use the standing time, but that's pretty rude. I'm not trying to say that they aren't able to stand, but they look like they want to sit down, and are often having a hard time walking up the stairs on the bus, are severely out of breath, and well, don't have a lot of balance anyway. So I should just be respectful and give up my seat, right? Or would that be offensive to them? Are they thinking that I'm telling them, "Hey, you're super fat, so have a seat!" To be perfectly honest and probably offensive, I don't want to give up my seat for them.
  • AussieGem
    AussieGem Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Being a university student myself and commuting on 2 buses and a train ... I am sad to say that I see this all the time and it annoys the hell out of me. Ever since I can remember, I have always got up to offer my seat to any older person no matter who it was. It is just what should be done. Even to this day I am the first and only one to stand to offer my seat ,,, even to the middle aged worker.

Just last week I had it out with high school children ... I stood up for an elderly woman with grocery bags and some little **** quickly sat down and laughed :mad: He then also commented to his friend on how long she could stay standing :explode: Needless to say once I was done, the elderly woman and her groceries had a seat :laugh:

In this day and age there is no respect for anyone anymore, and that is really sad!

Agreed!
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options

"Plane"

Perhaps he was thinking bathroom seat

just trying to get my point across...
  • Bomber989
    Bomber989 Posts: 24
    Options
    Are you really surprised? This is the "Me" generation and too few parents are actually teaching these kids how to be respectful. No excuse, just an observation.
  • Crimson_
    Crimson_ Posts: 60
    Options
    i can say if im on that bus when some punk tells off grandma for askin for a seat that lil son of a ***** is gonna have another thing comin....not to mention she wouldnt have to ask cause i would have already gotten up and beckoned her over to take my seat.