MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I was enabled and peer pressured into getting the new INSANITY workout series! :laugh: The comments made by other runners that their times were improving pushed me over the edge!

Never heard of it. Let us know how it goes. Improving running times definitely gets my attention.:smile:
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Okay -- so back to the Garmin -- do you have to have something in your shoe -- or just wear the watch to calculate distance?
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just have the watch that you wear, I bought the Garmin 405CX, LOVE it!
    It's a chunk of change but really worth it and they have come down on the prices of the older models too. It is sooo good for training :flowerforyou:
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    Ok question:

I was on this website everyday doing really well and getting into running back in the beginning of the year. I signed up for my first half marathon that is next weekend! I was doing great and following the training schedule for the first month.

THEN....I moved to a different city with all of my friends and have completely stopped everything in my routine. I haven't been watching what I eat and I sure as hell have not been running like I was.

My question is, do you think I should attempt to do the run this weekend? I'm very nervous because I don't think I can finish it. I'm so mad at myself for not keeping up with the schedule and I would like to do a race at some point, but Im nervous to go into it this weekend with barely any preperation....thoughts?????
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ok question:

I was on this website everyday doing really well and getting into running back in the beginning of the year. I signed up for my first half marathon that is next weekend! I was doing great and following the training schedule for the first month.

THEN....I moved to a different city with all of my friends and have completely stopped everything in my routine. I haven't been watching what I eat and I sure as hell have not been running like I was.

My question is, do you think I should attempt to do the run this weekend? I'm very nervous because I don't think I can finish it. I'm so mad at myself for not keeping up with the schedule and I would like to do a race at some point, but Im nervous to go into it this weekend with barely any preperation....thoughts?????

I talked with a (overweight, not-real-fit) friend last week, who had just done a 1/2 marathon with NO preparation. Of course, he knew what he was in for and walked most of it so he didn't over do it. (And was still sore as heck the next day:laugh: ). SO I guess my answer is that it depends on what is going to motivate you. If you are worried about overdoing it and getting injured, stay home. Maybe the lost entry will be enough to get you out there to prepare for the next race. If you think you can pace yourself to avoid injury and want to get out there, just walk/jog it and hope the 3:30 finish time instead of the 2 hours you had planned on will be enough to get you back on track.
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Question for all of you runner's out there: I started doing the couch 2 5K program and was on week 5 when I developed a bad case of tendonitis in my knee. I have since then be refitted for running shoes and custom orthotics. I really want to get back out there because I have discovered how much I enjoy running and am really missing it. Does anyone have any suggestions about when I should try again and what to do to prevent this from happening once more. Yes, I am going to go to my dr as soon as I have some insurance issues fixed (should be in a week). The swelling and the pain are almost all the way gone. Thanks for all of your help!!!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Question for all of you runner's out there: I started doing the couch 2 5K program and was on week 5 when I developed a bad case of tendonitis in my knee. I have since then be refitted for running shoes and custom orthotics. I really want to get back out there because I have discovered how much I enjoy running and am really missing it. Does anyone have any suggestions about when I should try again and what to do to prevent this from happening once more. Yes, I am going to go to my dr as soon as I have some insurance issues fixed (should be in a week). The swelling and the pain are almost all the way gone. Thanks for all of your help!!!

Wait to see the dr. I have a severe case of tendonitis and just started running again after being down for almost 3 months. I have been going to physical therapy and that has helped tremendously. I have been cleared to run 1.75 miles and that was after 4 weeks to PT. It really sucks but the pain was much worse! Give yourself time to heal. Make sure you ice your knee and take ibuprofen for the swelling.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    and speaking for being cleared to run 1.75 miles. I have not done it yet. Maybe tomorrow. :ohwell: Right now since I really haven't been exercising I haven't been motivated to do a whole lot but I need to get my butt moving soon since I signed on to the mcguire AFB mudrun at the end of Sept and I was recruited by the elite runners of my bootcamp group for the team. :laugh:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Today I did weight lifting, cycling, and stretching. It's a scorcher in Oregon today (forecast says over 100 degrees the next three days or so!) Have a great week everyone.:flowerforyou:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    and speaking for being cleared to run 1.75 miles. I have not done it yet. Maybe tomorrow. :ohwell: Right now since I really haven't been exercising I haven't been motivated to do a whole lot but I need to get my butt moving soon since I signed on to the mcguire AFB mudrun at the end of Sept and I was recruited by the elite runners of my bootcamp group for the team. :laugh:

Yeah Sherry! :bigsmile:

I can relate to the mud run motivation...mine is also in September...really need to get going on some pull-ups/push-ups!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Having a tough couple of days :ohwell: I'm *always* happy-go-lucky and in a good mood, but I just can't seem to swing it today.

Had a frustrating weekend, stupid petty fights with my boyfriend:brokenheart: , and on Friday he joined me on my run and seems to have somehow hurt his ankle badly. He broke his right ankle a little over a year ago, and now his left is in bad shape. He has an appointment with an Orthopedic doctor on Friday, but until then he's limping, it's swollen, and I'm running alone :cry: He didn't run with me everyday- just when it fit into his crazy work schedule, but now I'm stuck (probably all the way until my 5k at the end of August) running alone :ohwell: I just feel kind of tired and 'blah' in general from a long, exhausting weekend. I'm super stressed about his foot- he hasn't even finished paying off the other foot yet (the ambulance ride, surgery, 2 months of physical therapy, etc.) ::sad:

I'm starting Couch to 5k week 5 today... alone. I'm hoping that I'll feel better after I run.

I've enjoyed reading all of your running successes (as always!) over the last couple days... keep up the good work, everyone and keep pushing on in this heat and humidity :sick:
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    About to go out for a run... it is HOT and HUMID out there!! I want to do three miles, but my bod does not handle this weather in an appreciative manner... so we'll see.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i have been off the wagon, but am jumping back on! wish me luck everybody!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Did a hot and humid 2 miles today...cowgirl'd up and ran outside. Considered going to the gym and hopping on the treadmill, but I really hate running on it now so I just took it easy outside. Good times. I didn't take my HRM along, so it was nice to just have a free run and not worry about the time. (I do like my numbers so that won't be an all the time thing. :wink: ) Next up is a 6 mile tempo run on Wed or Thurs...oy vey.

Hope everyone had a great day!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Okay -- so back to the Garmin -- do you have to have something in your shoe -- or just wear the watch to calculate distance?

There are a couple of different models. The Forerunner 205/305/405 do not have shoe pods. The wristwatch receives a signal via satellite.

The hr monitor for the 305 has a chest strap.
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Wow! I think the whole country was hot and humid today. It's been such an unusual summer in we haven't had too many humid days & let me just say I don't ever miss them. I Ran for 3 excrutiating miles in the humidity, my calves were cramped for most of it. Boy was I glad when it was done but also very glad I didn't talk myself out of it. I probably would have if it weren't for reading how well everyone is doing on their runs. Thanks again for all the motivation to continue!
  • Renee973
    Renee973 Posts: 28
    Options
    I agree! It was very humid here today, too, but there was a nice breeze that kept me going. Started my second week of training, and am soo proud of myself, because I finally found that push inside of me that I lost when I stopped playing sports! My time didn't improve, and I had to slow down to a walk for one of my intervals, buuut I feel satisfied that I have my drive back! :drinker: After my run, I went on a leisurely bike ride with my boyfriends mom. I made better eating choices today and feel like I'm back on track. WooHoo! Hope everyone had a good day today! :smile:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Skipped my run today. Its that T.O.M and just needed to take a nap. I am excited about running though again so I think tomorrow will be a good run!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Today's goal was speedwork:
    1 slow mile to warm up (check!)
    2x1600 meters @8:35 (9:01:ohwell: , 9:33:sick: )
    800 meter jogs between (check!)
    1 slow mile to cool down (check!)

Funny aside: I was pretty groggy this morning and thought I put my contact lenses in the wrong eyes. Actually, I had been putting them in the wrong eyes for several days now and couldn't figure out why I could only wear them for a few hours before they started bothering me. One of my lenses corrects for my astigmatism. My eyes felt super comfortable on my run this morning after days of suffering.:laugh:

Enjoy your runs, walks, and rests today
    -Kechie.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Ok...I can't believe this but...

I am going to organize a 4mi fun run for the Folk Festival here in my small town for next year!!!!!

I've been doing the webpage for the Folk Festival committee for the past 3 years and one of the board members approached me at the circus last night (I took my kids and niece to the circus here in town). I guess the original guy they asked to do it hasn't done anything for 2 years now (obviously, lol, because there has never been a race for the Folk Festival). The board member and her husband knew that I was into running so they asked me if I was interested. I said "uhhh, ok but I know nothing about racing/running/organizing one - I have never even been to a race lol". She said that she had faith in me :noway: and they would be willing to help with whatever I need.

Ok.....

So now I have to attend a meeting about it tonight. And I'm really nervous about it. Does anyone have any advice? Or has anyone organized something like this?

But the good thing is that I can run 4 miles so I can run my own race if I want to LOL so I know that there will be at least one runner :laugh:

I haven't told my husband yet since I haven't really talked to him in days (we've been super busy). But now I have an excuse to go to a bunch of races - even to observe - for "researching" purposes! :laugh: :happy:

Anyways, I thought I'd share my good news. I'm not sure how this is going to work out....or if I can even do this, but for today I'm stoked about it LOL

Today I am running my usual 5k after my meeting. I didn't get to run yesterday because I had to take the kids to the circus.

Take care everyone!