"If it's less than 30 minutes, don't log it."

Options

Replies

• RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I work and go to school from home full time. There are MANY days when I have a deadline that the only way I would still get in my 2 hours daily is to do 10 minutes on the elliptical or a 15-20 minute workout here and there.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Log it - tell them to p!ss off - unfriend them.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you're meticulous about logging every bit of food that crosses your lips I'd be just as meticulous about logging your exercise .. as one other poster said .. your body counts it.
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    To each his own. You log how you want to, and let them log how they want to. If you are both getting results I don't see why it matters. However, I personally log any exercise that I do whether its 5 minutes or 50 minutes.
  • nessafly
    nessafly Posts: 58
    Options
    Do whatever works for YOU! Sometimes people get caught up in rules but everyone is different. My 10 minute ab workout is definately counted! :wink:
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would unfriend that person in a heart beat. That or I'd log a bunch of 5 min exercises just to piss them off.

HA HA! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Who made them boss of your tracker?

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!! People get these good feelings about losing weight and start thinking they can undermine people...not cool!!!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Thats ridiculious!!! They need to worry about themselves than other people!!! :noway:
  • AubreysMommy30
    AubreysMommy30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That's kind of crazy since I can burn 400 calories just doing 20 minutes of Zumba for Kinect...on Easy mode. Don't listen to stupid advice.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    This is YOUR journey, you make the rules. Sometime I only have time for a quick yoga session, but if I'm using it for exercise, I count it! Every minute counts even if it's only 10!

Thank you! Some times I do nothing but Ab work and it's a hard burn but for only 5 minutes.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the person is working under the theory that fat burning doesn't take place until after 30 minutes of steady exercise. I've heard that espoused here and other places. Of course, that doesn't matter because it's total energy in vs. energy expended that determines weight loss. When it comes to your body, it truly is a zero sum game.
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Personally I only track about half of my workouts because I do not feel like they were sufficient enough, yet if some sassyfras was to tell me that I shouldnt log short workouts I would do it. A workout is a workout. Log it if you want or dont log it. If you ask a doctor they will say that as long as you get some sort of physical exercise in a day it is good. So just do your own thing and dont listen to rude people who think they know it all. Every one is different and their bodies react differently to things so just screw them and do what is right for you.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Someone wrote once that they have their activity level at sedentary, so they log anything that is considered movement. I actually changed my perception on what is "log-able".
    I had quit logging walking my dogs because it just our thing. But the walks are more like hikes for 30 minutes to an hour. So I wear my HRM and dang, 200+cals!
    Do I log the 10 or so trips up and down the stairs to go to the bathroom everyday? No. But anything that is a sustained effort for more than 10 minutes, my hear rate is up, and I'm sweating? Unless it's my fun time, (wink wink) I log it. :flowerforyou:
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "minimum" number of minutes to log. And for some of us, 300 is a pretty significant number of calories. It sometimes takes me close to an hour to burn that much because I'm small.

Everyone has their own system, I just wouldn't be subscribing to that one, personally.

^^^^ this^^^^^ I am the same it ay take me an hour to burn that sometimes because of my size....
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I log it. I went for a 2.1 mile run today. It was only 21 minutes and I burned about 214 cals.

Yesterday I went for a 2.4 mile walk. It took 33 minutes and I only burned 181 cals.

I logged both. However, going strictly by numbers, my 21 minute workout was more effective than my 33 minute workout.

I think it's your page and your personal decision. Do what works for your body and your weight loss.
  • chelleann777
    chelleann777 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 30DS and it is less then 30 mins, but don't tell by thighs because they still think I'm getting a workout ;) If I get out of bed or off my hiney to do it AND break a sweat... it is worth loging no matter how long it was for. Everyone has to start somewhere, and doing something is always better than doing nothing!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It depends, of course, if it is really EXERCISE or if it is just part of your daily activity. If it is part of your daily activitiy (as in, you climb the stairs one floor every day to work), it should be included in your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, as in, your lifestyle tiype (sedentary, etc)) and therefore shouldn't be counted (and deducted from calories eaten) as excercise.

I think a helpful way to deterimne the difference would be: is it part of your daily routine, or are you making special effort to do this? AND how hard you are working at it? (young person like me, wandering around the mall for an hour isn't really exercise,even though I COULD log it on MFP if I wanted as walking slow pace).

But if you are EXERCISING above and beyond your normal daily acitivity of course it counts. Just use a HRM to track it for proof, I burn on average 150 calories for every 15 minutes of VIGOROUS exercises.

I err on the side of caution. It's all up to how meticulous you want to be.
  • SKINNYMESOON2B
    SKINNYMESOON2B Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I dont care if you worked out for 15 minutes you did something so log it! thats just like saying on it was only one peice of candy its only 25 calories its nothing!

EVERY CALOIRES COUNTS
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It really bothers me when people think they can dictate what I or anyone else wishes to log. If twenty minutes of exercise does it for you then hell yes you bet you should log!!! Get off the "I'm better than anybody cause I do 90 minutes of cardio, and walk 5 miles, and then run with my dog, and have my time on the Elliptical at the gym"....gheez if that's your thing then okay but its not mine. And that's my story and I'm stickin' with it
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I log absolutely everything! If I take my dogs for a quick 20 minute walk, thats damn sure to be a workout! I don't know where she gets off thinking that and/or posting about it on her profile, but it obviously sounds like she isn't a good MFP to have. You are doing this for you, and every single bit counts!