"If it's less than 30 minutes, don't log it."

Options

Replies

• cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I definitely disagree...that would be like saying if you can't fit in 30 minutes of exercise then don't fit in any at all, which is a terrible philosophy. Every little bit counts towards making you healthier.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    So basically what they are saying is that if you are a beginner, have never exercised and you can only do a 5-10 minute walk around the block then you haven't done anything. How stupid (sorry about the name calling). Exercise is exercise. It's about getting our bodies moving and starting a new healthier lifestyle!!! Everyone has to start somewhere and in the beginning I was only do about 15-20 minutes and it HURT!! And yes I logged it and ate back my calories!!!
  • patlclark1
    patlclark1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I have to log everything I eat, I log every step I make. :wink:
  • Yolanda_85
    Yolanda_85 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    To each their own, but you better believe I'm logging my 20 minute workouts with Jillian Michaels!
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't agree with that because some people may only be able to do 15 mins at a time, due to being so out of shape, working long hours, being in school.. The only thing I frown at is when people log cleaning house, preparing meals, and things like that.. I don't look at that as exercise, but that is just my opinion. I would NEVER tell someone else they shouldn't.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Yeah I find this to be a silly idea.

However, to each his own.

The end.
  • kanmuri
    kanmuri Posts: 112
    Options
    My polar watch tells me that I burn of to 75 calories just running for 5 minutes. So whatever that girl says, I would log it anyway.
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think that's silly. HIIT workouts like the Tabata method is often as short as 4 minutes, yet you burn a lot of calories, and they're very effective for weight loss and endurance training. If this person's logic applies, then we shouldn't log bites we take that aren't part of a full meal, yes?

Edited: burn a lot of* calories.

This, i do a lot of it :)
  • Snoopy178
    Options
    Try jumping rope at a steady pace for 10-15 minutes and THEN ask yourself if you should log it or not. If you feel like going for another 10 minutes, maybe it isn't all that important for you to log it. If you feel like death warmed-over when you're done (like I do) count it!
    :smile:
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do 2 15 minute walks a day on my breaks at work, I definitely log it. I look at it as this is me being responsible to me. I am not responsible to anyone else. I am not eating for anyone else, nor am I working out for anyone else. If I go to the Gym and I get on a bike for 15 minutes and burn 100 calories, I log it. I dont worry about other people I just worry about me.
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    That's one of the dumbest thing I have ever heard. So the 5k's that I run (where I burn off 400+ calories) in 21 minutes don't count?! I run at a sub 7/mm pace when competing, am I not supposed to track that?

By that logic, you shouldn't count the calories of anything under 100 calories either right? Dumb...
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Thats like saying that snickers bar is less than 300 calories so I dont log it, Wait What. So I can eat a box of them and it dont count? I personally Walk Alot I mean Alot at work and I do not log it but it counts and it gives me a nice buffer.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I definitely keep track of exercise that's less than 30 minutes. And it's quite difficult for me to burn more than 10cal/minute. Seriously, on the elliptical doing intervals at level 11 and keeping it over 6mph, I only burn like 9.5 cal/minute. If I followed a rule like that, nothing I do would ever count. The only exercises that I do that burn at a faster rate than that are not ones I can sustain for 30 minutes yet.

So, definitely don't feel obligated to follow someone else's rules. Do what is working for you.
  • amberrenae1
    Options
    That totally goes against what Dr. Oz says! He tells you that is you cant get in 30 mins at once to break it up into 3- 10 minute walks or whatever. I say she's WRONG!
  • antdaman725
    Options
    A lot of times I do a 20min workout, which by the end I am DRIPPING in sweat.

OP = FAIL.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Try jumping rope at a steady pace for 10-15 minutes and THEN ask yourself if you should log it or not. If you feel like going for another 10 minutes, maybe it isn't all that important for you to log it. If you feel like death warmed-over when you're done (like I do) count it!
    :smile:

This man speaks the truth! I've run marathons and jumping rope kicks my butt.
  • Candikickbutt
    Candikickbutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Every calorie counts, I log everything!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If I had my activity level set to highly active, I would probably follow that advice, but since my activity level is sedentary, I will take any time and use those calories. It is all relative.
  • johnson430
    Options
    I would agree...if you did it log it. To me it helps keep me motivated!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I guess since Michael Phelps' races are minutes long at best, he shouldn't count it as exercise.