Diabetes Support Group~~~Part 1

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Thank you leo for all the knowledge. I think it is important to eat certain fats also, I was just trying ot minimize the amount I take in. I will try some of these to see if they help.

From everything I am reading, you shouldn't minimize the amount you take in. Fats should be eaten liberally to help keep you full and satisfied longer. Fat is where the flavor is at.............

Fat is healthy for you as long as you are not eating processed or sugar laden foods. The combination of the 2 or 3 is what is harmful.

Eating a lot of fat, I usually have a calorie intake of around 1000-1300 and that is how I have lost most of my weight............
  • July24Lioness
    My blood sugar at lunch was 89. For lunch I had a babecue on a sugar free bun. 1/2 container of Lemon thich and creamy yoplait yogurt with ! T cool whipped and 1 T chopped walnut. . fixing to go and take my blood sugar now for mis afternoon. Calie

Took my blood sugar it was 112 here at mis afternoon. I ate the other half of my lemon yogurt so I wouldn't have a low blood sugar befor supper. So so far so good.

Calie

That is great, good to hear. Let's keep working on it so you can start reducing the insulin you are taking..........and maybe get off the shots and back on oral meds. Shock your Doctor!!!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Thanks Leo, I am also wanting to lose weight for I have had a back pain for years and have heard so many people who says their pain left ater losing weight. and it makes sense carrying around 50 extra lbs would cause your back to hurt. Just carry a 10 lb bag of sugar would do that. I hven't bought 10 lbs of sugar since the kids all left home. Do buy a 2 lb at Christmas and Thansgiving for the hoidays cooking. And a small bag of flour. May not do that this year. Let those who eat it make it. But my husband loves my chcolate cake and ihis birthday is Christmas day so may make it. Be careful driving home from work. So you have far to drive? Marie
  • July24Lioness
    Thanks Leo, I am also wanting to lose weight for I have had a back pain for years and have heard so many people who says their pain left ater losing weight. and it makes sense carrying around 50 extra lbs would cause your back to hurt. Just carry a 10 lb bag of sugar would do that. I hven't bought 10 lbs of sugar since the kids all left home. Do buy a 2 lb at Christmas and Thansgiving for the hoidays cooking. And a small bag of flour. May not do that this year. Let those who eat it make it. But my husband loves my chcolate cake and ihis birthday is Christmas day so may make it. Be careful driving home from work. So you have far to drive? Marie

I am going to send you a recipe for a low carb chocolate cake either this evening or in the morning. It is made with almond flour, unsweetened cocoa, stevia, etc.............IT is awesome and you could have some too.

I have an hour drive, which since it is raining - it will be about an hour and 20 minute drive. I live in a very rural small town and drive to a larger, college town to go to work.
  • July24Lioness
    What's for supper tonight?

Me, I think I am making spaghetti squash, italian sausage, home made pasta sauce with oregano, onion, roasted red pepper and green pepper and caesar salad.

What is for dinner in your neck of the woods????

Dessert - Low Carb Brownies. My husband has been begging for these again.
  • CALIECAT
    Good morning pals, Cloudy this morning and look like rain is on its way.
    I had a low blood sugar last night and I always eat too much afterwards trying to get it back up. So this morning my blood sugar was a little higher 145. So will have to be sure I get enought carbs today. It is hard to balance it out. But My doctor will be please with my reading. I'm not tho.

Hope this fine you all doing well and taking care of yourself. Calie
  • jdhall
    jdhall Posts: 76
    Leo: I just try to give myself whatever the site allows for fat, that is what I am going by. when I was initially diagnosed, they talked about reducing fat a lot. Then a few years back when I went to a dietician, she told me to watch carbs. I just try to stay under 1300 calories and it seems to be working out o'kay. I was just currious about the natural fats. :flowerforyou:

Callie: I am having Grilled chicken with baked potato and corn for dinner tonight, no dessert! You sound like you are doing great and a number below 150 in the morning is wonderful, so do not beat your self up. :grumble: take care.
  • July24Lioness
    Leo: I just try to give myself whatever the site allows for fat, that is what I am going by. when I was initially diagnosed, they talked about reducing fat a lot. Then a few years back when I went to a dietician, she told me to watch carbs. I just try to stay under 1300 calories and it seems to be working out o'kay. I was just currious about the natural fats. :flowerforyou:

Callie: I am having Grilled chicken with baked potato and corn for dinner tonight, no dessert! You sound like you are doing great and a number below 150 in the morning is wonderful, so do not beat your self up. :grumble: take care.

JDHall - That is where dieticians are mistaken and just plain wrong. I won't go to a dietician or a nutritionist if my Dr would try to send me to one.

I found that when I first went to the diabetic dietician my family Dr sent me to, she told me to have 35-40 carbs per meal and 15 carbs per snack, make sure everything is low fat and keep calories low. I gained more and more weight and my blood sugar numbers stayed out of control.

My Dr referred me over to a diabetic endocrinologist at the Streilitz Diabetes Institute in Norfolk, VA. She told me LOW carb (controlled carb between 90-150 when I reached maintenance). She is the one that gave me the Atkins Book and told me Atkins or South Beach are the 2 best plans for diabetics. She referred me over to the diabetic nutritionist that is at the diabetes institute also. She told me fat is ok. Sugar, bread, crackers, rice, pasta, etc need to be limited, including fruit. She told me no more than 1 or 2 times a month for having rice, pasta, bread.

I lost 98 pounds in 6 months and got off meds. I got cocky and gained a bunch of it back and have been yo-yoing ever since.

This past January, I was working a new job and I am experiencing a lot of numbness in my feet, aches and pains when I have to lift anything. I decided that I am taking back control of my life, getting off medications and adhering to Atkins for the rest of my life, it finally clicked to make a lifestyle change and it is for good this time.

I have been doing more and more research, reading books, studies, etc....................I no longer take medications and I am never going back on them either. I would much rather give up bread, rice, pasta, sugar, white potatos until I get to maintenance and then have things like that on occasion.

I go to see a Naturopath and a natural pharmacist. They both told me the same thing I believe. Fat will not make you fat as most of the medical professionals, nutritionists, dieticians, and government would have you believe.

Fat does not make you fat, sugar and the wrong types of carbs do make you fat. Fat is also good for your heart, despite what they tell you. I have read enough books, studies and other wise to go against the grain of what the popular media and mainstream society tells us. We have been brainwashed to think that low fat is the way to go, which it is not.

Just trying to put the information out there to educate people, that is all. What we have been told has been a Big Fat Lie, pun intended. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Here is some reading material:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html

Here is a book I just finished reading.................and some information about the book in quotes below:

eatfat.jpg
    Plan's name: Eat Fat, Get Thin

Book(s): Eat Fat, Get Thin! - first published in 1999 by Barry Groves.

About the author: Dr Groves and his wife, Monica, became overweight in the first few years after their marriage in 1957. He discovered the low carb diet in 1962, and both he and his wife lost weight with great success. They have maintained the weight loss since then.

He began studying the role of food types in the aetiology of obesity at that time, and in 1982 when he retired from the Royal Air Force, began full time research, later broadening the scope of his research to the relationship between diet and other modern 'diseases of civilisation' such as heart disease and cancer.

He has a PhD in Nutritional Science.

Basic Philosophy: This is a high fat, low carb plan, which allows 60g carbohydrates per day. Calories are unrestricted. Ketosis is considered unnecessary; Dr Groves even feels it is undesirable.

By the numbers: : There are no phases in this plan. One continues eating 60g carbs until goal is reached. At that time extra carbs can be added until no further weight is being lost.

Method: : Reduce your intake of refined carbs.
    You can eat as much as you want of any meat, fish, poultry, cheese, cream, butter and eggs.
    You can eat as much as you like of green leafy vegetables: cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce, and so on.
    He does say that it is advisable to cut out some foods such as sugar and cereals completely, but does include small amounts in his menus. He cautions that you may need to be wary of such foods.
    Fruit and vegetables are permitted, just cut down on the sweeter, starchier ones.
    He says it is a good idea to give up bread, but if you feel you cannot, cut down to a maximum of 2 slices per day.

Exercise only if you want to.
    Dr Groves states that exercise has its place in a healthy lifestyle, but says that as a means of losing weight it is a dead loss. Only do the exercise you enjoy.

Leave the fat on meat.
    And do not remove the skin from chicken, duck or turkey. Use full cream milk in preference to skim, and have cream with your fruit if you wish.

Eat a high protein breakfast.
    It is essential to start the day in such a way that your blood sugar levels are high and you will not have to snack between meals.
    Chapter 9 cites studies which show that doing this can keep your blood sugar levels steady all day long.

If you are not overweight, do not diet.
    The book includes a chapter where normal weight ranges are discussed.

Typical menu:

Breakfast:
    1 cup grapefruit juice
    Herb omelette
    2-3 slices streaky bacon
    1 slice buttered toast
    22g carbs

Lunch:
    Beef steak with its fat
    ½ cup carrots in butter
    1 cup green beans
    1 thin slice sponge cake
    27g carbs

Dinner:
    Poached halibut
    Green salad
    Cheese with 2 water biscuits and butter.
    11g carbs
    Total carbohydrates for the day: 60 grams.

Unique Fatures:

The plan does permit small amounts of sugar and refined carbs. Some of the recipes in Eat Fat, Get Thin are even made with sugar. For this reason, this plan may not be suitable for someone who has a strong addiction to carbs.
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Is everyone here a Type 2 diabetic? Just curious...I am a type 1.
  • CALIECAT
    Hello Skinny Momma., as far as I know we are mosly type 2. but you are more than welcome to join us. We should have a lot in common. I know there are some difference and that type one has more of a problem than type 2. But we all need someone to talk to. And that why we are here. Please join us tell us your problems that you may be having. Have you been a type one very long. I had a sister who died with it but that was more than 85 years ago and they did not know much then. She was just one year old. Thanks goodness for modern medications. Caliecat
  • July24Lioness
    Is everyone here a Type 2 diabetic? Just curious...I am a type 1.

Hi SkinnyMama and welcome!!!

I am type 2 diabetic also.
  • CALIECAT
    I have been working on my diet plan. I have got my book out onThe Low -Carb Diet soluition by Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades,MD. And going to follow their basic diet for a few weeks and see how that work out Here' s thier basic plan. which can be change up quite a bit. And Easy to prrepared.

Low carb diet by Michael and Mary Dan Eades----Basic diet
    ­­_____________________________________
    Blood Sugar____Insulin______ Date_____

Breakfast : 2 eggs. 2 sl. bacon.1 sl. low carb bread. Butter

Lunch: Bacon cheeseburger ,or grilled chicken on Salad greens and real salad dressing

Snack; 1/2 serving fruit or nuts or cheese.

Dinner; Grilled or broiled steak, chicken or fish, 1/2 tp 1 c low -starch veggies, 1/2

I ran copies and just have to filled in and make any notes on any change. Will get further into it and have more choices after a couple weeks.. Just thought I would let you guys know My game plan.

talk to you later. Calie
  • jdhall
    jdhall Posts: 76
    Leo: thank you so much for the information. I will try to get that book and read up on some of this stuff. I have not been to a dietician in about 3 years. So I kinda am not going by that anymore. I do the YoYo thing all the time. Ihave lost about 40 pounds in about a year and a half, so I would like to keep that off, so I am up to trying different diets or life changes. I do read a lot about diedetes and Glycemic index. So I think all the knowledge you get is very important to how successful you are. :happy:

Hey Skinny welcome to our site. We will be glad to just help with what we can and I had a cousin who was type 1, I am type 2 as well. I think the diet par tis so similar for eveyrone, it will be nice to have someone who knows what you are talking about to converse with. Again Welcome. :wink:

Callie: Good luc with the new information you are trying, let us know how well it works. :drinker:
  • July24Lioness
    Leo: thank you so much for the information. I will try to get that book and read up on some of this stuff. I have not been to a dietician in about 3 years. So I kinda am not going by that anymore. I do the YoYo thing all the time. Ihave lost about 40 pounds in about a year and a half, so I would like to keep that off, so I am up to trying different diets or life changes. I do read a lot about diedetes and Glycemic index. So I think all the knowledge you get is very important to how successful you are. :happy:

Hey Skinny welcome to our site. We will be glad to just help with what we can and I had a cousin who was type 1, I am type 2 as well. I think the diet par tis so similar for eveyrone, it will be nice to have someone who knows what you are talking about to converse with. Again Welcome. :wink:

Callie: Good luc with the new information you are trying, let us know how well it works. :drinker:

I am reading a book now called The Primal Blue Print. It follows on the philosophy I already believe in and sort of follow.

I am going to get even stricter with my eating and exercising.
  • CALIECAT
    that;s the way to go Leo. Keep us informed. I did some more reading in the carbs solution diet by Dr. Eades. and he was talking about carbs make you retain Water And i have a lot of that problems. So I too will be more stick with my diet. Had no ideal. I like this little book, It get down to what we need to eat and and not so much on science. I don't like to read all Let the expert do that. I just want to know what to eat and how much. I still hve some reading to do tonight. IN the mean time I will just stay on his basic. diet. But i do so understand this carb business a lot better and why. I have the big book but too much in it. This little book is easyier for me to understand.

Well we are off to the store, will be buying some frozen green beans. And maybe some fresh if they look good. I heard that vets put dogs on green beans if they need to loose weiight. they will be good season up with bacon. Sammy might even eat them with bacon in them. Time for my breakfast of poached eggs,

Calie

HAVE A GOOD DAY AND HAPPY EATING!!!!!!!!!!!
  • CALIECAT
    Well I blew the last two days. been doing some more in my book the los carb solution diet by Dr Eades and I did fine where you can have 10 g caebs per meal. So now I have a guild line.

Breakfast 1 sl. of 45 Sara lee whole wheat bread ====10 gram carbs
    # eggs cook with 1 pat of butter=================0 carbs:

Lunch 1 sl sara lee bread======================10 carbs

Supper---Chopped sirloin======================0 carbs
    Spinach with bacon 1 cup=====================3 carbs,
    Sara lee bread toast cut into 4ths. 3 of them ========71/2 carbs

Snack ! bread toasted =======================10
    1 egg===================================

total 40 1/2 for Saturday.
  • CALIECAT
    Hello, I am not up tp par today.So just been laying around. talk to you guys tomorrow.
    Calie
  • CALIECAT
    Feel better today. We are in for some hot weather. I think they said 104 today and that is hot.
    I am doing pretty good on my low carb diet. Still made some mistakes . But getting better. I decsided to have cold canned spinach with my tuna Salad and ate a whole can. And the sodium went thru the roof. over 1000 sodium. Carbs and calories were fine tho. Will have to stick with fresh or frozen veggies now. I had no ideal and I post it in my food diary from the data base . It was just wrong. Lesson learn today.
    Calie
  • July24Lioness
    Feel better today. We are in for some hot weather. I think they said 104 today and that is hot.
    I am doing pretty good on my low carb diet. Still made some mistakes . But getting better. I decsided to have cold canned spinach with my tuna Salad and ate a whole can. And the sodium went thru the roof. over 1000 sodium. Carbs and calories were fine tho. Will have to stick with fresh or frozen veggies now. I had no ideal and I post it in my food diary from the data base . It was just wrong. Lesson learn today.
    Calie

If you drink a lot of water the sodium shouldn't hurt you.
  • CALIECAT
    I can say one thing about eating a whole can of spinach. It keep you from getting hungry and a good cleansings in the morning. I have been drinking a lot of water. Hope it helps in my water retention.
    I need to start eating more fish. The tuna salad was pretty good today./ Have enought for lunch tomorrow. I found out today these veggies has as much fiber than the high fiber bread. He recomend eating half of a servings of fruit to keep the carbs down. So I will have 5 cherries tonight before bed. Marie