A Personal View on Exercise Cals and Underfeeding

Options

Replies

• momof3G8kids
    Options
    Thank you....I read this and thought "This is me" Exactly what happened to me! Never ate a lot, but am still fat, somehow, after the 3rd child. I really am getting it! I need to eat more in order to lose weight!
  • momof3G8kids
    Options

Tips, encouragement, and such would be great and very helpful. I'm scared to death that I'm going to gain weight if I up my calories. While I understand it logically, I'm having a hard time accepting it on an emotional level.

Anyway, thank you for this discussion. It's very helpful and motivating.

This is exactly what I feel too!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for taking the time to write this very informative and heart-felt post. I'm very grateful!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    just read this and thought it deserved another BUMP :flowerforyou:

very interesting and informative as i am "worried" about eating all my exercise calories!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    just read this and thought it deserved another BUMP :flowerforyou:

very interesting and informative as i am "worried" about eating all my exercise calories!
  • msunset262
    Options
    OMG..Thank you so much for your story i totally understood what your saying and it explanded where all my skinny fat comes from.i also eat a lot of carbs not enough food and i have watched how my body turned skinny and squishy and .its like a fat deformity (if thats a word ) .oh well it fits lol. what i am tryinng to learn right now is the right foods to eat that my body will aceept as good foods to feed my muscles (which were eatin up by my body also ). i dont know the correct dietary life stye eating menu to follow.i thought i would start out with the muscle milk so my body would begin giving back some strength to work out with .so i dont feel so drained and extra tired after working out . Please help any ideas.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later...
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    A good read!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i know this is an old thread, but it's good to read that others have faced similar issues as i have. it's nice to know i'm not alone.

it's taken me awhile to get to the point where i AM eating the calories i'm supposed to. eating back exercise calories doesn't happen. and FINALLY, after 6 whole YEARS! i actually get hungry. i haven't felt hungry in 6 years :-( but just this past week it's started.

i still mentally fight my brain, pretty much every day, that eating food will not making me more fat. i didn't gain weight not eating, but i never lost any. i would go up and down about 5 lbs, but that's about it. i've been the same size since 2006....... and since 2006 i have been consuming about 800-900 calories a day, with some days probably way less than that! in 2010, i pretty much stopped eating anything but a handful of peanut butter M and Ms ( 2010 was a horrid year in my life). i worked out all that time too!!! several nights a week from 2006 on i would be in the gym, on the treadmill, elliptical machine, lifting weights....... none of it matter.

last week, was the second week my goal was to hit 1200 cal in a day and i actually managed to do that several times. and yesterday i took my weekly measurements and i had lost 8.5 inches with 3 of those from my waist. i haven't lost weight in 6 YEARS!

as i sit here and type this, my tummy is growling. that hasn't happened, in longer than i can remember. i hope that i can beat my brain on this. i hope that i can overcome the " eating will make you more fat" thinking permanently. some days, it's a CONSTANT reminder! and i KNOW that i need to be over 1200 cal for the day, because i am an active person, who still works out nights and burns easily 500+ calories in exercise alone............ BUT, i'm taking the right steps and i am headed in the right direction.

thank you for letting me know i'm not alone in this :-) it's so hard to read over and over, "calories in vs. calories out." or " eat less, move more." cuz all those do to my head is tell me that i'm gonna get MORE fat! even if my body shows me i'm not :-(
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, r1ghtpath! It sounds like you are on the right path. Let us know how it goes.
  • familytime
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting your views and experience. It sounds a lot like mine, except I've eating the wrong way for a bit longer, and I don't drink soda. Nevertheless, I've had to consciously make myself eat breakfast, and being accountable for what I take eat and how I exercise through using MFP has really been helpful. Now I can see what I am doing that does or does not work, and I can make changes accordingly. Any ideas how to boost the sluggish metabolism I've created over the years through negligent eating?
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting your views and experience. It sounds a lot like mine, except I've eating the wrong way for a bit longer, and I don't drink soda. Nevertheless, I've had to consciously make myself eat breakfast, and being accountable for what I take eat and how I exercise through using MFP has really been helpful. Now I can see what I am doing that does or does not work, and I can make changes accordingly. Any ideas how to boost the sluggish metabolism I've created over the years through negligent eating?

Green tea is supposed to help speed up your metabolism. Reading about this earlier today - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/520628-green-tea-drinkers-help
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Such a sensible, heartfelt post. I've been under eating for nearly four years using another weightloss website and didn't fully understand the damage I was doing to myself until I realised that I was becoming "skinny fat".

Since moving over to MFP in January, I can now see my Net figure and no matter how much exercise I do, I always aim to get back to a Net figure of 1200-1400.

I think it's beginning to work after just 70 days. But it's a slow process as my metabolism has slowed down so much.

Your post clearly shows that this "starvation mode" isn't a quick and clearly visible state. It's definitely a silent, stealth killer - may not kill you, but it definitely won't help you in your desire for a fit looking body.
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I could so have written that. Am so with you
  • purplep41n
    purplep41n Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This just confirms my thoughts with what my body is going through, so I am glad I found this. I seem to naturally stay a high weight despite eating better than many people I know who eat a lot, drink a lot plus don't exercise. The times I have lost a lot of weight was actually when I was eating macdonalds up to twice a day plus cakes every day.

I started dieting when I was 7, I have done every strange diet possible.

I started this a few weeks ago. I spent the first week just noting what I was eating but this was with a vow to eat more veg and fruit, drink more water and I noticed me thinking more about moving more and what I ate just by using this site. I've now taken it to the next level where I am making a point of exercising more plus trying to keep within my calories. Now I've got rid of my cravings and weird binging habits, I can start eating to turn around a bad diet.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    This just confirms my thoughts with what my body is going through, so I am glad I found this. I seem to naturally stay a high weight despite eating better than many people I know who eat a lot, drink a lot plus don't exercise. The times I have lost a lot of weight was actually when I was eating macdonalds up to twice a day plus cakes every day.

I started dieting when I was 7, I have done every strange diet possible.

I started this a few weeks ago. I spent the first week just noting what I was eating but this was with a vow to eat more veg and fruit, drink more water and I noticed me thinking more about moving more and what I ate just by using this site. I've now taken it to the next level where I am making a point of exercising more plus trying to keep within my calories. Now I've got rid of my cravings and weird binging habits, I can start eating to turn around a bad diet.

It sounds like you're on the right track. I destroyed my metabolism growing up as I had a mother who chronically underfed me for fear that I would get fat. I'm now working on upping my calories slowly and it's great to be able to eat more and still lose. It's not fast but, then again, I no longer feel deprived or as if I'm even on any kind of diet. Exercise and healthy eating works if you're patient and not trying to race to a thinner you. Best wishes.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This is brilliant, and definitely does help ease a lot of the fears about eating back the calories.
    I don't - mostly because I'm following (ish) the Jillian Michaels food plan... but at the same time I'm noticing that the weight loss is slowing down a lot faster than I expected it to.
    I do think that a trial of a month of just eating 1200 cals, followed by a month of getting the NET cals to 1200, will allow me to see just what works for my body.

• Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting