Are Fit women the most hated group in America?

Options

Replies

• Robbie32
    Robbie32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    R skinny B's hated on??? Yes, Yes, Yes. It's just the way it is. Fat people are hated, pretty people are hated, But I know personally I have always been jealous/envious of women that look naturally thin and fit, when I wasn't. Thats why I'm working on my self to be the best that I can be and I use those women as inspiration. About anorexic trends in women that is about insercurity plain and simple seeing a partiucular body type being praised doesn't make a person starve them selves to malnutrition. People that do that already have a mal view not only of their bodies but of the significance of health over asthetics. Thats about inner self worth not fasion mags.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Just be yourself and achieve the look you want to. Nothing else matters.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate it when people say how skinny is unhealthy and big is beautiful and healthy etc. I do understand why it is socially acceptable to bad-mouth slim people but unfashionable to bad-mouth fat people.

I think it basically comes down to what we all know is good and bad.

We know it isn't good to be fat, and no matter how many people say they are comfortable how they look, they would secretly like to be thinner. So everyone knows deep down that slim broadly speaking = good, and fat broadly speaking = bad.

So with that in mind, it's like say good looking vs ugly. For the good looking person to say how ugly the ugly person is would be horrible, but if the ugly person were to say how the good looking guy is a pretty boy and clearly spends too much on girly products etc, is fine because at the end of the day, everyone knows which is best to be.

The person in the worst situation gets to make jokes about people in the better situation, but it just doesn't work the other way round, and to be honest I think that's kind of fair
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just be yourself and achieve the look you want to. Nothing else matters.

Yup.

There's always going to be someone telling you that you don't "look right" no matter what size, shape, or fitness level you are. Do it for you.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Each any everyday on facebook I see things like the pics below asking others to pick which girl they find more attractive or healthy, happy etc. And each and every time everyone picks the heavier women and some ( always women) even go as far as calling the fit women, malnurished, sickly looking, even anorexic.
    I also see on a pretty regular basis women post sayings like"" I would rather be fat and have a big heart than be skinny and shallow"" And again everyone clicks the like button or post comments about how great it is to be fat and make rude comments about "skinny" (their words) women.
    Then there are the fairy tales (cute made up stories etc.) for example: The fat women that walks into the gym and see's a huge sign on wall that says "" Do You Want To Be A Whale Or A Mermaid???"""" Then the fictitious women tells herself all the great reasons why it is so much better to be a whale and all the negative reasons why not to be a mermaid. And again, everyone clicks the like button or posts comments about how great it is to be a whale, aswell as the rude comments towards mermaids.
    So today after viewing the pic. below and reading the rude comments about the skinny girl in the pic. I posted that I am more attracted to the "fit" women by far just to see the response. And boy did I get a response!! Women saying how offended they were that I called the girl on the right "fit" My reply to them was """ well, it is what it is!! The girl on the right is fit!! I then asked ""so its ok for the numerous people that posted things like malnurished, stick fiqure, anorexic etc. to decscribe the girl on the right but when I call her "fit" which she is!! Everyone gets offended?? How comes no one was offended by calling the the girl on the right all those names? No one answered.

zzzzzog.jpg

I'm not American nor live in America but Australia is pretty similar anyway so I'll proceed.

Every type of person gets crap on the internet, and everywhere else too, I disagree that 'fit' women are more hated than others on the internet or otherwise. There is some backlash against the current 'ideal' body type (which is quite slim) but I think that it's just more noticeable on places where the focus IS body size.

I used to be morbidly obese and copped a fair bit of flack for it. There were people who refused to allow me entry into their houses because I was fat. I used to get turned down for jobs I was more than qualified for, no reason given, but when I lost weight I had no issues getting jobs. I used to have 'fat whale' 'pig' and 'that's a huge *kitten*' yelled at me from car windows. Let me tell you, NONE of these happen to me now that I am just regular 'chubby' rather than obese.

I don't condone criticising or making fun of others based on their physical appearance at all. But the finger pointing needs to end. I am offended when a "slimmer" girl gets called skinny or anorexic. I also get frustrated at the number of times a fat person is made fun of too, including stereotypes that exist on television and movies.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    the forums get pretty nasty at times...

i think that picture comparison is a bit tough. i cant help but be Marilyn bias. plus she isnt over weight. i'd say she'd be a physical ideal for a lot of people. C: i think both woman are beautiful in their own way though.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if those pictures are a good example, but I tend to agree. I used to be really big and it seems as if that is more acceptable than being at a healthy weight. The second I was able to run 10 miles and do squats with a lot of weight added to them (when I was really fit) people started to actually FREAK OUT on me. Everyone kept asking if I was anorexic. One of my friends told me I needed to get help. I see stuff on facebook all the time, pictures of bigger women, with a caption that goes something like "This is what a real woman looks like." and I just think that's wrong for so many reasons. Real women come in more than one shape and size. I don't know when/why it became acceptable to call women of a healthy weight or muscular women (the women I aspire to look like) "scary" or "gross" or whatever. If it makes you feel better about yourself, fine, but do it in private. I would never, ever call a big woman "fat" or say she isn't a real woman, because I know what it's like to be big and that's just not fair to her. Also, if I did, I'm sure the backlash would be insane. It's all very hurtful and sad. So what if I want to be fit and have muscles and a nice little flat stomach and I'm willing to really work for it? Is that your business? Do you need to cal me names for it? Or could you just let me get on with it?
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I have not read every response so may very well be repeating what has already been posted.

To the OP...you seem to have unilaterally taken a body type you find appealing and declared it "fit" and then judged negatively every lady that does not measure up to that as being unhealthy.
    Has anyone said that any guy who is not chiseled with sharply defined abs is not fit or healthy?
    I doubt it very much so perhaps you should accept that healthy in women also can be different sizes,shapes and level of toning.
  • chrishgt4
    Options
    I have not read every response so may very well be repeating what has already been posted.

To the OP...you seem to have unilaterally taken a body type you find appealing and declared it "fit" and then judged negatively every lady that does not measure up to that as being unhealthy.
    Has anyone said that any guy who is not chiseled with sharply defined abs is not fit or healthy?
    I doubt it very much so perhaps you should accept that healthy in women also can be different sizes,shapes and level of toning.

I genuinely think you misread, or perhaps misinterpreted the OP's point. Or perhaps I have?

It seemed to me like he was merely saying how culture nowadays tend to vilify people (women) who are slim and healthy as being underweight and unhealthy, whilst pointing at overweight women as 'real women' and that being fat is good, whilst being thin is bad.

I think he was just making the point that it seems acceptable to be rude and offensive to slim people, but not about fatter people.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

I genuinely think you misread, or perhaps misinterpreted the OP's point. Or perhaps I have?

It seemed to me like he was merely saying how culture nowadays tend to vilify people (women) who are slim and healthy as being underweight and unhealthy, whilst pointing at overweight women as 'real women' and that being fat is good, whilst being thin is bad.

I think he was just making the point that it seems acceptable to be rude and offensive to slim people, but not about fatter people.

I don`t know,perhaps I misunderstood but if what you say is the point then it seems kind of silly to me since just about every aspect of our culture from movies to magazines glorifies a thin with almost no curves female body.
    I don`t see where that is universally vilified anywhere in society.

Edited to add...

It would seem that what the OP takes issue with is nothing more then a bit of a push back from healthy women who resent all aspects of media and fashion design telling them something is wrong with them because they do have curves and are not twiggys.
  • chrishgt4
    Options

I don`t know,perhaps I misunderstood but if what you say is the point then it seems kind of silly to me since just about every aspect of our culture from movies to magazines glorifies a thin with almost no curves female body.
    I don`t see where that is universally vilified anywhere in society.

Edited to add...

It would seem that what the OP takes issue with is nothing more then a bit of a push back from healthy women who resent all aspects of media and fashion design telling them something is wrong with them because they do have curves and are not twiggys.

OP provided examples of where this is vilified in society, as have other people throughout the post.

I think his point is not against healthy people voicing their opinion on the media, but on large people suggesting that how they are is ok and they should be immune from media admonishment, but that being thin is a crime and showing photos of beautiful people is wrong etc. etc.
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    skinny/in shape>>>>>>>>> fat/obese

Let the sh!!tstorm begin :heart:
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    no
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Each any everyday on facebook I see things like the pics below asking others to pick which girl they find more attractive or healthy, happy etc. And each and every time everyone picks the heavier women and some ( always women) even go as far as calling the fit women, malnurished, sickly looking, even anorexic.
    I also see on a pretty regular basis women post sayings like"" I would rather be fat and have a big heart than be skinny and shallow"" And again everyone clicks the like button or post comments about how great it is to be fat and make rude comments about "skinny" (their words) women.
    Then there are the fairy tales (cute made up stories etc.) for example: The fat women that walks into the gym and see's a huge sign on wall that says "" Do You Want To Be A Whale Or A Mermaid???"""" Then the fictitious women tells herself all the great reasons why it is so much better to be a whale and all the negative reasons why not to be a mermaid. And again, everyone clicks the like button or posts comments about how great it is to be a whale, aswell as the rude comments towards mermaids.
    So today after viewing the pic. below and reading the rude comments about the skinny girl in the pic. I posted that I am more attracted to the "fit" women by far just to see the response. And boy did I get a response!! Women saying how offended they were that I called the girl on the right "fit" My reply to them was """ well, it is what it is!! The girl on the right is fit!! I then asked ""so its ok for the numerous people that posted things like malnurished, stick fiqure, anorexic etc. to decscribe the girl on the right but when I call her "fit" which she is!! Everyone gets offended?? How comes no one was offended by calling the the girl on the right all those names? No one answered.

zzzzzog.jpg

Unfortunately, I think that people automatically jump to the conclusion that the fit woman MUST BE anorexic, bulimic, or making drastically unhealthy choices to get that body. While it is true that there are far too many women (and young girls) obsessed with weight, and are willing to destroy their bodies to obtain "perfection", there are also THOUSANDS of women in this world who either are genetically blessed with that body type, and therefore don't have to do much to maintain it, or women who have embraced a lifestyle of health and wellness. The latter being a group of women who eat right, exercise, and live an active lifestyle. There is NO REASON to hate on these women!!!!

Since you did post a pic of the very controversial Marylyn, I'll throw this into the mix... A size 4/6 woman today would have been wearing a size 12 in the 50's!!!! Check it out on the internet! While many say that Marilyn was a 12, 14, or 16, she actually was most likely wearing a 6/8 (by today's standards). Clothing designers are simply NOT using the same sizing guidelines today (I'm not arguing that this is right or wrong)!! Say what you want about Marylyn, but you can't deny that she was fit. She may not have been 6' 120 lbs, or rail thin, but she was thin, and had a knock out body.

I will agree that many of the women who chewed you out are jealous because they simply will not find the time to get FIT (it's not a swear word, it a glorious word), are lazy, or have given up. However, you have to remember that there are also a lot of women who have struggled with (or have loved ones who have struggled with) anorexia, bulimia, and other disorders who believe that images like the fit girl are perpetuating these horrible diseases. So many young girls have low self esteem because they watch TV, movies, go on the internet, and read magazines where they are continually faced with gorgeous women who are very fit, and they don't feel like they measure up. It's a very sad reality. It breaks my heart.
    Just for the record I did not choose the pics the person that posted them on FB. did, I also didnt mind getting chewed out, thats not the reason I posted it here. I posted it here to see if others have seen the same type of negative opinions, comments as I have and if it has become acceptable to bash thin women in public or on a public forum? The reason I had a problem with the comments, was because I have female friends and family members on FB. that are all different shapes and sizes and regardless if people were bashing the body type of the women on the left or the right, alot of my friends and family were going to be offended by the comments.

I never thought that you picked the pictures...I HAVE seen very similar ones on FB and Pintrest, and I have seen women absolutely bash the thinner woman. It's not right (again, as long as the thinner woman is in fact healthy).

I also cannot stand the "real woman" thing. I am a plus sized woman. I am a real woman. My size 00 (and yes she eats - a lot, and NO she does not have an eating disorder), 2, 4, and 6 friends are also real woman!!
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    No.
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options

(Moderator comment - picture removed due to guideline violation, watch the language please. CC)

There are tons of upsides to being fat though! All of them are related to eating, but whatev... Ahem. People are mean. Slim people are the weight loss 1%.
    In the movies and on TV and media in general, the slim are the norm. The curvier people are Hollywood's version of fat, even though in real life they would be normal sized. People, (well, girls) are tired of being told in that indirect manner that their curvier bodies are fat. The bigger than medically appropriate feel the same way, and have co-opted that for themselves. I wouldn't know about fit women being the most hated group in America, but overweight (fat) is quickly becoming the norm here. And you know how it is when someone actively rejects the norms of a society. (see: every group of "weird kids" ever) Also, it's hard for people not to equate slim with shallow and/or anorexic when the slimmest ladies they see all work in Hollywood, or model. Hollywood is known for being pretty superficial. Modeling is an industry practically built on eating disordered people (and the infuriatingly, naturally slim). To return to my first point, people are mean. Slim people are the weight loss 1% percent.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hating either way is pathetic and just a way to make the ones throwing insults feel better about themselves. Whether it's the skinny insulting the fat or the fat insulting the skinny. Putting others down for the way they look (or for any other reason) is a huge sign of insecurity. And these idiots shouldn't be encouraging each other. Why does everyone have to separate themselves into groups?
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree and I think it is very ironic. We all want to be healthy, at least I would hope so, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people who have a hard time losing weight or aren't at their goal weight (usually) get offended by women who are thin or fit. By saying remarks like she must not eat, she looks sickly etc. There is a big difference between someone who is fit and someone who is super skinny and unhealthy. You have this whole fit movement and with that you have this HUGE backlash against it. I think a lot of it comes from insecurities people have.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Agreed!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I don't think it always stems from jealousy or insecurities. I firmly believe that what people do not know or understand they tend to bash or belittle or find frustrating. Period.