Match Vs eHarmony?

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
My friend who wants to go online is thinking about eHarmony, as she's convinced that's the best dating site to use in order to find someone to marry (rather than just a one-night-stand as is the rep of others like POF, OKcupid).

I know one couple who met on Match.com and one who met on eHarmony, but hear a lot of horror stories from both. So what do you all think?

Replies

• BlessedMoon
    BlessedMoon Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started eHarmony and stuck with it for about 3 months. I tried it first because I had the thought that since its based on so many areas of compatability that I might find someone who is more my type. However, after being on eHarmony for 3 months, I found that it didn't really do a good job of matching me with someone I would be compatable with. So after that, I decided to give Match a try. The thing I like about Match is that I have the opportunity to browse on my own, which eHarmony doesn't let you do. eHarmony was also much more expensive than Match. I personally don't think it was worth the cost. To compare the results, I have been on Match for 4 months and had 4 first dates. I was on eHarmony 3 months and had 3 dates with the same guy. All in all, each of the guys I chose to go on a date with were not looking for a one night stand. Not to say that there aren't guys looking for just a fling on there. If you read their profiles, you get a clue as to what they're looking for. I did a pretty good job of discerning who was looking for a relationship and who wasn't. The problem is that you can't really tell if there's chemistry until you actually meet in person. I haven't found what I'm looking for yet, but the looking part has been pretty fun so far. Hope that helps.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Why use either when there's MFP for free!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Why use either when there's MFP for free!

Agreed and it's the BEST way to meet someone, should you be so lucky! :heart:
  • DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    Options
    I am actually married to a man I met on Match.com. We have been together for over 4 years and I am very happy. I tried eharmony when they had the free trial but I didn't like it because I felt it told me who I could talk to and didn't let me decided. I prefer Match for sure.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I have been dating a guy I met from POF for 3 years, we aren't all one night stands ;)
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My husband's best friend found his new wife and soon to mother of his first child on eHarmony a few years ago. He is a lawyer and was so busy finishing up law school and tired of meeting girls in bars that he gave it a shot. Now he didn't find his wife on the first try but I believe she was the third one he went on a date with. She is a teacher and was pretty much in the same boat he was. So due to their story I totally say go for it!!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    My friend who wants to go online is thinking about eHarmony, as she's convinced that's the best dating site to use in order to find someone to marry (rather than just a one-night-stand as is the rep of others like POF, OKcupid).

I know one couple who met on Match.com and one who met on eHarmony, but hear a lot of horror stories from both. So what do you all think?

I met my husband on Okcupid... and we've been together for 4 years... so it's not all about one night stands.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I met my serious bf on OkCupid, but it definitely does take a lot of weeding!!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on OKC. I can't justify spending the money on a site when there's ones for free. If you have in your profile that you're not looking for just relations, and screen your people carefully, there's nothing wrong with a free one. You have to screen people you meet on the paid sites, too. I feel, personally, that it just comes down to communication and making sure you're as transparent as possible.
  • hannahbanana0480
    hannahbanana0480 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have given up on online dating, here or else where. All I got were weirdos. I tried eharmony and hated that I couldn't browse on my own. All the people they "matched" me with were definitely not my type. I have also "chatted" with people here on MFP and was forced to close my account and open this one because of all the creepers I was getting. Online dating is scary, IMHO. I am just going to do it the old fashioned way.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend of 7 years on cpixel (basically a rating site) and i couldnt be happier.

Not everybody is looking for a one night stand. Lol.
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am actually married to a man I met on Match.com. We have been together for over 4 years and I am very happy. I tried eharmony when they had the free trial but I didn't like it because I felt it told me who I could talk to and didn't let me decided. I prefer Match for sure.

I agree with this. I tried eHarmony and everyone IT paired me with (because that's how it worked) was not who I was in to, and we had opposing interests.

I tried Match about a year later, had a few successful dates, and am actually dating a guy I met on there. We've been together 6 years. I like that you get to pick, and that you get to see pictures. I know a lot of people say looks shouldn't matter, but attraction is attraction and it does.

My 2¢ :)
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Craig's List. Yes, Craig's List. I know that place is known to be just for booty calls but it wasn't like that at all. I mean, sure with most of my responses, but I just weeded those out.

As far as actual sites go, I met my ex on Yahoo Personals and we were together for 3 years. I personally liked Match better than eHarmony because eHarmony chose for me and pretty much came up with 0 matches. I don't think finding love is that black and white.

Good luck!
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I actually met my husband on hotornot. We were both looking for a relationships. He had a paid membership and I just had a free one so we were still able to message each other.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hi I was on Match for 3 years and trust me there are strange ones on all the sites. I believed there would be more committed men on a site where they had to pay!!! However a couple of years ago I met the man of my dreams on POF!!!!! I think one paid and one free is a great idea... just tell her to really vet them first x If you want me as a friend for internet dating advice, please feel free to add me x As I said I did it for 3 years so I learned quite a bit!!!!
  • AubriaJordan
    Options
    I have used both.

Which ever one she picks I recommend not being on it for more than 3 months. The longer you are on it they just start sending you random people to satisfy you and they may be people that have created a profile but then never logged on, free profiles or anything they can so it's a waste of time and money.

Recently, my co-worker met her current boyfriend on her last day of Match and his first day of Match.
  • jalyner
    jalyner Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I married a man I met from eHarmony. I had a great experience with it and met a lot of really neat people. I met (in person) 4 people from the site and dated two of them for a few months, trying to get to know each other. And then I met my husband. I would recommend it to anyone, but I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never been on Match.com. I was on the site for about 8 months.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

Recently, my co-worker met her current boyfriend on her last day of Match and his first day of Match.

I met my husband on okcupid on the day I was going to delete my profile (after 2 years on the site)

It was his first day on okcupid, and i saw his picture on the section "new to okcupid" and clicked it. :)
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    From a male perspective...Ive tried them both and hate eHarmony. As has been repeatedly stated, you get no choice on eHarmony and the matches they did send my way were anything but. Match is fun but hasnt been real succesful either. I have actually had better conversations, emails etc from MFP (and Im really not using this as a potential dating site)

I have heard great stories from people on all the online sites which is why I tried it, but have had little to no luck. Met alot of great people just nothing that stuck.

If your friend is going to pay for a site though go with Match, it gives you a lot more options.
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    OK. AFTER READING THIS....WHAT ARE THE ONLINE DATING SERVICES NAMES THAT YOU ALL MENTION...

WHAT IS OKC
    CPIXEL

AND THE LAST ONE....I NEVER HEARD OF THESE..MAYBE I WILL HAVE SOME LUCK